Devonny Ch. 12

Story Info
An Impossible Romance in Post-Abolition Victorian London.
7.4k words
4.68
35.2k
50
47

Part 12 of the 12 part series

Updated 10/11/2022
Created 08/02/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
theDuskyGirl
theDuskyGirl
1,102 Followers

Chapter 12...

Gabriel found that it was all but impossible to catch Devonny alone over the next few weeks. She had abandoned her walks in the gardens. She no longer lingered in the stables talking to Orion and the other horses in hushed tones as she slipped them apples and carrots from the kitchen. Even they seemed to miss her presence.

She was ever in the kitchens helping Ursula with the meals or helping Sadie launder the bedding or mend clothing. The only break in her routine came when Theodore Edmondson would call. She would allow him to accompany her on short walks or on a ride about the property. Teddy Edmondson was the only one for whom her somber façade seemed to crack.

But she did not look well. She looked drawn and tired. It seemed as though every bit of spark that she possessed had gone out of her.

It was killing him.

Elijah had taken to showering her with elaborate gifts , all of which had been surreptitiously been returned to his quarters at some point.

Gabriel was ever watchful for an opportunity to speak to her but none ever came. He wanted to avoid arousing the interest of the rest of the household but it looked as though it could not be helped.

He strode into the kitchens that were bustling with activity in preparation for the evening's dinner party and multitude of guests. The kitchen was filled with people he'd brought in from the village to help in the work. He spotted Devonny amidst the chaos attempting to slip outside in the commotion.

"Devonny." His voice boomed over the milieu halting all activity.

They all turned to him with wide eyed looks. All except Devonny who froze, her delicate shoulders hunching.

"I would speak to you now, please," he said and her honey colored eyes grew round.

Defiance flickered in her gaze and for a moment he thought she would refuse him. But she seemed to think better of it as her gaze passed over the stunned faces of the kitchen's other inhabitants.

He allowed her to pass before him as she shot him a glare. He nodded to the staff, watching him in mild shock. "Please continue," he nodded and departed, but not before Moira who was overseeing everything fixed him with a warning look. He smiled thinly at her in reassurance.

Devonny awaited him in the main hall, her expression apprehensive.

"To the study if you please," he motioned for her to continue ahead of him.

Gabriel inhaled deeply as he followed her. He would fix this. He had much to tell her.

Devonny entered the study ahead of him and turned expectantly when he entered and closed the door behind him.

He gestured to one of the armchairs set before a low table and the settee. "Will you sit?"

She eyed him warily. "No, sir," she murmured.

Gabriel's dark brows lifted. "No?"

She said nothing in reply but merely continued to look at him with those bewitching amber eyes of hers.

"You are angry with me," he said, a statement not a question.

"No, sir," she said softly. His face betrayed his shock and confusion at this and she continued. "All is as it should be."

Gabriel blinked at her, stunned and Devonny knew he understood her completely. They were not friends. They were not having a dalliance. They were done unwittingly hurting one another, she hoped. She was as distant from him as she had ever been and it was as things should have been from the moment she entered his employ.

Gabriel inhaled, his face thoughtful. "I had wished to apologize."

She seemed to consider this, a slight frown appearing on her lovely face. She shook her head. "That isn't necessary," she said as much to herself as she did to him. A man such as him did not apologize for hurting his servant's feelings, she reminded herself. She flinched inwardly at her own thoughts but she drew herself upward and forced herself to look at him. She kept her gaze on the center of his chest. It was not right that she meet his gaze. "I am a servant. I am poor and my skin is dark. I am not good enough for you. And you..." she swallowed thickly. "You mean....nothing to me." Her heart beat wildly in her chest, blood seeming to rush in her ears as heat suffused her face. "Was there something else you wished, sir?"

Gabriel stared at her, feeling as though a fist were clenched around his heart. She was right of course. Oh, she was more than good enough for him. She was all that was beauty, grace and goodness but she was not for him. She was always right but he did not believe a word that came from her mouth. His voice was low. "No, Devonny. There was nothing else."

"Sir." She dropped a small curtsey and he held study door for open for her to leave.

She moved by him without sparing him a glance and made her way back towards the kitchens.

Gabriel closed the door behind her with a sigh. No, an apology would not suffice as he had thought. He would have to earn her regard by some other means.

***

Devonny tucked the ends of her apron up into the waist tie and sighing she dropped a couple of apples into the pouch she'd created. She'd been neglecting the horses, depriving them of her attentions for fear of finding herself alone with Gabriel or Elijah.

Elijah's gifts distressed her. His gifts were the primary point of their discord and yet every day there was some new trinket artfully wrapped and sitting in front of her door.

She'd returned every last item to his quarters but it didn't seem to deter him. It was quintessential Elijah; throw money and gifts at a problem completely missing the point and the grounds for the dissention in the first place.

Gabriel on the other hand seemed to be more brooding than usual if that were at all possible, his hooded gaze following her wherever she moved.

Moira did not ask her what had occurred between Devonny and the Davenport men though the rift was obvious.

Devonny made her way toward the stables, lost in her own thoughts. She'd occupied herself with mindless tasks perfectly suited to keeping her out of sight and hopefully out of mind. But she missed riding and she missed brushing Orion's flanks to a high shine while his tail switched in delight. Hence, she gathered up a bunch of apples and slipped out of the kitchens intending to make up for lost time.

At least it seemed that she had finally achieved some modicum of distance between herself and the Davenport brothers. Perhaps she could manage to preserve the last shred of her dignity and her sanity.

She shook her head. She missed Elijah's companionship fiercely. She doubtless had considered him her dearest friend and confidant. But she had been wrong and he manipulated her. His callous single-mindedness has wounded her deeply.

The distance between herself and Gabriel was not unfamiliar. It always seemed that as soon as they had reached a tenuous peace, that peace was uprooted and reduced to cool glances and furrowed brows.

'Good,' she reminded herself. 'Distance both physical and emotional would make it all the more uncomplicated to leave when the time came.

She was deep in her melancholy thoughts when the toe of her boot caught a stone causing her to trip and stumble on the hem of her skirt just short of the stable entrance.

Letting out a small yelp, she caught herself against the side of the building but not before an apple slipped free of her apron and fell to the ground to with a dull thunk, rolled away from her into the arch of the entrance.

She shook her head. She never considered herself exceedingly graceful. At least she hadn't torn her gown.

Swearing lightly under her breath she reached for the apple and crossed the threshold only to be confronted with the blurred sight of hooves coming rapidly toward her from the stable interior.

Devonny straightened with a shriek and threw herself backwards as Titan reared, pawing the air. Apples tumbled from her apron as she landed on her rump and watched in horrified as shocked Gabriel Davenport was dumped unceremoniously from the saddle to fall hard on the ground.

Gabriel felt Titan suddenly rear up under him, the reins were jerked from his hand and he was flung from his stallions back. The world tilted and the ground rushed up to meet him. He didn't even have time to brace himself from the fall. Crippling pain rippled up his side and shoulder as he hit the ground. He heard the sickening crunch of his own bones and he knocked his skull against the ground hard enough to send his vision momentarily black.

"Oh sweet Jesus!" Devonny cried, lunging as the skittish stallion pranced sideways toward his former rider's prone form.

Snatching the reins, Devonny hauled the large mount away, gripping his bridle when tossed his head and balked. She quickly wrapped the reins around a post, making sure they were secure.

Gabriel had yet to move. She flung herself to his side, terror clawing at her throat.

He blinked rapidly up at her, his gaze unfocused. "Gabriel!" She leaned over him taking his face between her hands. "Gabriel, please!" She leaned over him, her nose inches from his own and stared into his unfocused eyes.

She noticed absently that his eyes were not wholly green; the pupils were ringed with gold and the iris was flecked with dark grey. His eyes were incredible this close. How had she not noticed before?

He let out a shuddering breath, his vision seeming to clear as he gazed up at her. "Good God, woman?" he wheezed. "Are you trying to kill me?"

Devonny jerked upright. "Oh, thank God," she whispered, her gaze briefly flickering upward. "You're alright," she breathed.

"The devil I am." Gabriel winced, pain evident in his expression as he struggled to raise himself. "Now help me up."

Devonny slid under his arm and wrapped her arms around his waist helping him rise.

He let out a low cry as her hold on him sent an excruciating pain through his side that nearly stole his consciousness from him once more. His weight sagged against her, almost causing her to lose her balance and tumble them both to the ground.

Devonny braced him upward with all her strength. "Gabriel, what is it? Your head?"

Gabriel grimaced. "No, my ribs. Christ. I think I've broken my ribs."

Their progress across the walk to the house was slow. Each step jarred him, causing a new agonizing wave of pain to shoot up his side.

Gabriel Davenport was not a small man and his arm was heavy around her shoulders but she was determined not to drop him or let him stumble. His scent enveloped her; clean soap, leather and a hint of tobacco. Concentrating on each step was growing difficult.

"Just a bit further," she gasped.

And just then—thank God—Prince and Bernardo came running from the house.

"What happened?" Prince demanded, quickly taking her place from under Gabriel's arm. Bernardo went to take Gabriel's other side but Gabriel jerked away only his expression tightening with pain.

"My ribs," Gabriel hissed out through gritted teeth. "My ribs are broken."

"Dios mío," Bernardo shook his head in sympathy. "Qué occurío? What happened?

Gabriel wheezed a cough. "She tried to kill me."

Devonny's gaze widened at that, her mouth dropping over in shock as Bernardo and Prince turning to stare at her. "I did not!" she near shouted in outrage. "It was an accident! An accident! I startled his horse!"

Gabriel chuckled and winced immediately at the movement. "I'm joking, Devonny. Joking."

Devonny huffed. "You should get inside."

Bernardo nodded. "Yes, we'll get you inside and send for Doctor Lenox."

"I don't need a doctor," Gabriel grumbled. "It's just some broken bones."

"That's for Doctor Lenox to decide," Prince admonished, gingerly leading Gabriel towards the house.

Devonny didn't follow them in the house. She returned to the stables to find Titan straining against his reigns for an apple that had fallen just out of reach.

Devonny smiled and scooped up the apple holding it out in her palm so that the large Stallion could pluck it between his teeth. She rubbed her hand down his nose as he chomped down on the fruit. "Frightened each other didn't we, boy?" she mused, though she fretted over Gabriel's injuries.

Devonny unwound the reins and led him to his stall. She unbuckled his saddle and then hefted it from his back. She also removed the blanket from beneath and hung it over the stall door. She ran a brush over his flanks and mane before she moved on to give the other horses their treats and attentions.

When she could stand it no longer, she ventured back into the house. She found Moira in the kitchen setting a tray with tea and biscuits. She glanced up and smiled when she saw Devonny.

"Has the doctor been come yet?" Devonny ventured.

"Oh, he's come and gone," Moira said and dusted her hands off on her apron. "Now if you please, would you take this up to him?"

Devonny stared at her as if she had grown two heads. "I don't think so, Moira. I'm the last person he wants to see."

Moira pushed the tray toward her. "He's asleep. The doctor gave him something for the pain. He won't even know you're there."

Smiling weakly, Devonny took the tray, feeling Moira's eyes on her as she left.

She shouldered open his door tentatively. Gabriel lay propped up against a stack of pillows, his dark hair falling across his brow. His thickly lashed lids were thankfully closed.

Devonny released a pent up sigh as she crossed the room, her gaze glued to Gabriel's prone form. His broad muscular chest was bare; a broad white bandage was wrapped around his torso.

One green eye slid open. His voice was low. "Coming to finish me off?"

Devonny halted in her tracks, gripping the tray in her hands. "Sir, you're awake."

His eyes slid open and he gave her a wry smile. "I'm a light sleeper." He smirked. "Years in the army will do that to you."

She moved to set the tray on the bedside table. "I'm truly sorry, sir. I did not wish to see you hurt."

Gabriel eyed her, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "You weren't exacting revenge for my continuously abhorrent treatment of you?"

"Of course not!" she stared at him, open mouthed. "It was an accident!"

Shaking her head she turned to go only to have Gabriel suddenly reach forward and grasp her hand. "Devonny, wait." She tensed only to have him abruptly release her. He winced at the sudden movement, gritting his teeth.

"I'm sorry," he quickly apologized seeing the look of apprehension on her face. "I did not mean to startle you," he rushed on. "But I had hoped that you might stay."

Her brows shot upward. "Stay?"

Gabriel smiled, chagrinned. "I had thought that you might read to me? I'm horrible at being idle. If you would but stay for a bit..." he gestured to the bookshelves. "You can read anything you like. I've got plenty of Shakespeare. Please," he added at her hesitation.

Devonny reluctantly nodded and moved to the sitting area where she dragged an armchair across the carpet to his bedside. He moved as though he would help her move the heavy chair but seemed to think better of it as his body protested.

He watched as she then went to his bookshelf to peruse its contents. She plucked one book and then another. She then settled herself into the armchair. She eyed the tray she had set at his bedside. "You should drink up."

Lifting a brow, he poured the tea into a teacup and brought it to his mouth before hesitating. Wrinkling his nose he considered the cup and its steaming contents. "Smells like one of Sadie's potions."

She grinned at him. "That it is."

He took a tentative sip, frowning. "Taking pleasure in my misfortune now, are we?"

Devonny glanced at him and cracked the book. "I am allowed a bit of pleasure on occasion, am I not?"

Gabriel choked on his tea at those words, spilling the liquid on his chest and effectively scalding himself.

Devonny reached out and plucked a cloth napkin from the tray and handed it to him wordlessly though a flicker of a smirk crossed her lips.

She settled herself back into the chair as Gabriel dried his chest. She tugged the mop cab from her head and cleared her throat dramatically. She pitched her voice low and took on an Italian accent. "I learn this letter that Don Pedro of Arragon comes this night to Messina."

A burst of laughter from Gabriel earned him a dark look though she merely cleared her throat once more and continued, this time affecting an altogether different tone and manner. "He is very near by this: he was not three leagues off when I left him."

Gabriel laid back against the pillows, unable to keep the smile from stretching across his face. She was in her own world, already switching roles and making new impersonations.

Gabriel watched her animated face as she toed off her boots and drew her legs up beneath her and he soon got lost in Shakespeare's tale as well.

Devonny was finishing up Act 3 before she noticed the time. She closed the book with a snap. "I should go. It's near dinner time and I should help Ursula and Sadie prepare."

She uncurled from the chair and slipped her feet back into her boots. She bent to lace them up, her hair spilling over her face and blocking him from view.

"Will you bring me my meal when it is already?" He watched as she shook her riotous curls back from her face and straightened.

Her voice was cool and she eyed him warily. "If you wish it."

He smirked. "I do."

She shrugged her shoulders lightly. "Fine."

"And finish the story perhaps?"

She stared at him but said nothing.

He crossed his arms over his bare chest, fixing her with an intent look. "You did injure me grievously." He shifted and winced for good measure.

Devonny rolled her eyes. "I'm beginning to think you deserved it."

And with that she left him.

***

Devonny did indeed return that evening. Gabriel was still abed though he was freshly shaven and his dark hair was coaxed back from his face.

He had donned a black damask dressing jacket and he smiled at her brightly when she entered. "I wasn't sure you would come."

Devonny did not smile in return but grimaced. "Moira sent me. Made me feel exceedingly guilty for nearly murdering the oldest Davenport heir. She said something about me doing all that I was able to do to keep you abed and ensure your rapid recovery."

Gabriel smirked at the phrasing but quickly snuffed out that smile in favor of a more subdued expression. "Very well. Whatever your reason I'm glad for the company." He picked up the leather bound play from his bedside and held it out to her.

Devonny retrieved it for him and sank into the armchair which was still in place at his bedside as though it were waiting expectantly for her.

She opened the book, sorting quickly through the pages to find her spot. She did so and stared down at the pages.

More than a minute went by.

"Devonny?"

She looked at him. The book in her lap. "You said you were in the army?"

His brows rose. He was surprised by her question.

Her amber gaze was steady on him. "Earlier. You said you were a light sleeper. You said that the army had done that to you."

Gabriel cleared he throat. "Yes. I was in the cavalry."

Devonny seemed to consider this.

"Did you fight abroad?"

He gave her a long look. Her almond-shaped honey colored gaze was soberly trained on him, sharp with interest and a look he had not seen before on her countenance.

"I was very young when I fought in the conflict with the Afghans. I was at the battle of Kabul to avenge the massacre of Elphinstone's army. I was in India after that."

Devonny was silent, seeming to mull over his words.

When she finally spoke, her words were so soft he barely heard them. "Does it stay with you?"

Gabriel frowned deeply. "Death, blood, disease...losing friends and men at arms. Yes, it stays with you. It stays with me to this day."

Devonny nodded absently at this, her brow tensing as she traced her fingertips over the embossed cover of the book in her lap.

theDuskyGirl
theDuskyGirl
1,102 Followers