Diagnosis Murder Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I want to be there", Jesse said quietly but firmly. "I have to go back. To show I'm not afraid and it might flush this psycho out."

"I don't want you taking any chances, Jess", Steve admonished.

"He can stay with me", Amanda said brightly. "We can say he's not fully fit if anyone asks."

"Promise me you'll go nowhere alone, Jess", Steve said seriously, holding tightly to his smaller Mate's hand. "I couldn't bear it if I lost you", Steve husked.

"I promise", Jesse smiled and nuzzled into Steve's chest. He was somewhat frightened to return to Community General, but was determined to play his part in catching the psycho.

Where the intention had been to sow discord, fear and division, the photographs were now seen as the springboard to be able to identify then catch Mark's unknown Nemesis and Jesse's assailant.

Steve strode purposefully towards his father's office in Community General. Things were beginning to move. Dave Simmons had provided him with a good likeness of the phony doctor, the detective beside himself at realizing Jesse was being abused when he was supposed to have protected him. He had gone so far as to request being part of the uniformed protection for Mark and Jesse. There had also been a development with regards to Mark's list. No felons had been released, but the young man convicted at the trial in which Mark had been a juror had died. It was a year ago, but Steve was now following up on family of the convicted man and the other jurors. He saw his father at the end of the corridor, partially turned away from him. Without thinking, Steve hailed the older man.

"Dad! I have the photofit." Steve then silently cursed himself as the cleaner from the other day shuffled away from Mark and the elder Sloan shot Steve a pained glance.

"Let's get into my office", Mark strode ahead and Steve shut the door behind him. Steve passed the picture to his father.

"I doubt he's a doctor", he said.

Mark stared at the face. He knew this face. For a couple of minutes he tried to identify what was off-kilter about the face. Then his eyes opened wide in horror.

"Not a full head of dark hair", he said frantically. "But thin graying hair. The cleaner who showed such concern about Jesse." He picked up a phone, but got no response to his call. He was running almost before the receiver went down. "He was asking about Jesse again. Telling me how difficult it must be for me to have to treat someone I cared about who was hurt", Mark shouted as Steve followed his father blindly. "I even told him Jesse was here today with Amanda. She didn't reply to my call or bleep."

The cleaner had heard Steve's announcement about the photofit and was fuming as he rounded a corner. As soon as he did, he abandoned the cart, donning his wig and white coat and transforming himself into a doctor.

"Too soon", he snarled as he headed to his intended victim. "One more hurt and then you can die, boy. You and your big cop lover. Sloan will be all alone. Just like me."

Mark and Steve arrived at Amanda's lab to find a small crowd around her door.

"Police", Steve bellowed. "Please move aside."//Please be OK, Jess// he begged mentally.

"I'm so sorry. I couldn't protect him", Amanda sobbed. She knelt at Jesse's side, holding a bloodied dressing to the young man's side. Mark and Steve noted her bruised cheek and cut lip. "He just burst in saying it was nearly time for Jesse to die. He just slapped me away and stabbed Jesse."

"I'm OK, Steve", Jesse gasped. "Hurts, oh God it hurts", he whimpered as Steve and Mark crouched beside him. Mark gently removed the dressing, opening Jesse's shirt to examine the wound. Mark looked at Steve with relief.

"It doesn't look too deep. It's meant to hurt, not kill."

"I'll nail this bastard. I swear I will", Steve vowed.

Further discussion was halted as Mark followed Jesse as orderlies came to take him to ER.

A couple of hours later saw Amanda, Mark and Jesse back at Mark's house. Jesse had been cleaned up and stitched. He had been told how lucky he was, but everyone in the room knew his attacker hadn't meant to do more than hurt him again. Jesse had been laid down on the couch. From his prone position, Jesse could see Amanda, the bruising quite evident on her cheek. Glancing at Mark, Jesse could see that the normal affable man had lines of fatigue and pain around his eyes. He knew he must look completely wrung out, it was how he felt. However, the young doctor knew that this time he had to find some way of providing reassurance. The others in the room felt responsible for his hurt and felt they had let him down. Taking a deep breath, Jesse hoped he would find the right words.

"He's not going to win, Guys", he said huskily. "I'm not dead and I'm not going to die. 'M tougher than I look. Steve's going to get him first. We know who he is, where he was staying. Steve'll get him." Jesse's voice faded away and the young man couldn't stop the yawn as the medication sucked away his strength.

"No, he won't beat us, Jess", Mark agreed, coming to Jesse's side. He smoothed Jesse's hair away from his forehead and bent down to kiss the revealed skin. "Sleep now", he whispered gently, rhythmically stroking Jesse's forehead. Within seconds, the exhausted man had given in to sleep.

When Jesse next awoke, he saw Steve had joined them. From the tightly coiled stance and rhythmic clenching and unclenching of his fists, Jesse deduced Steve hadn't yet caught his attacker.

"Hey, Big Guy", Jesse husked, reaching for his lover.

"Jess, Love", Steve was Jesse's side instantly. He tucked Jesse's small, slender hand in his own large calloused paw and held tightly. "How do you feel? Do you need anything?"

"Just a bit sore and tired. Like I told Mark and Amanda, 'm tough. Did you find anything?"

"His real name is John Smithers. Dad was on the jury that sentenced his only son Johnnie for aggravated burglary three years ago. Johnnie liked to play the hard man and a year ago died in a prison brawl. It seems his father has been targeting the jurors, but his target is their family wherever possible. That's why there hadn't been a link till now. An elderly lady fell downstairs, she was victim two. Victim one was a young married woman. Her husband was mugged and killed in a car-jacking. But she was the juror and only the car-jacking was originally reported. He wasn't really badly hurt in the other instance. Victim three was the daughter of a juror. She was attacked in an attempted mugging. This time, he car-jacked second, pushing her into the road as he drove away. She died in a gas explosion. Dad was his next target and the first juror who, like Smithers, had an only son."

"Then why target, Jesse?" Mark asked confused. "Why wasn't he targeting you?"

"According to his journal, he knows Jess and I are lovers," he said gazing at Jesse. "Smithers believed that if he targeted Jesse and I knew it was for something to do with you, it would estrange us. I would put distance between us, blaming you for Jesse's hurt. You would then be subject to mental as well as physical pain, the pain of Jesse's hurt and our estrangement. He wanted you to feel twice the pain. The journal began to show he was rambling, making less sense about targeting victims after the second attack. He seemed to want to draw out the attacks as he progressed with his victims. I think Smithers is seriously mentally unbalanced. Unfortunately it hasn't affected his cunning or determination to achieve his aim of punishing all twelve jurors and the sentencing Judge." Steve stopped as Jesse began to sit up and the big detective molded the young man to his side. "We have an APB out on him and we're watching the airport, train and bus stations. Effectively he's now a serial killer. Amanda's leaving town for a few days, just in case he tries to target her. There'll be a black and white watching the house. It's safer if we stay with Dad. I'd be tempted to put you both in a safe house, but Dad believes the best chance we have to catch him is for Dad to be where Smithers can see him."

"I agree," Jesse said firmly. "He has unfinished business with me. If I disappear, so might he." Jesse couldn't stop another yawn and Steve smiled affectionately at him.

"I think it's time for all sore and tired young doctors to be tucked up in bed."

"Not alone?" Big guileless blue eyes gazed up at the big detective.

No. Love," he said standing and scooping Jesse into his arms. "Not alone. Dad, I've checked all the locks once..."

Mark stopped him with a gesture.

"I'll re-check them before I turn in" the older man confirmed.

The only incidents the next day were phone calls to Mark where the caller didn't speak. Mark listened to the harsh breathing before the receiver was replaced each time. The call was only a few seconds and so untraceable. The detectives monitoring Mark's calls were of the opinion the man was playing some form of psychological warfare with Mark. The doctor was just happy that Steve was surrounded by detectives and Jesse had his own protection. There was no saying what the maniac would do next. A call from Steve showed the detective's frustration. Smithers seemed to have vanished. Mark knew he couldn't concentrate enough on his work and decided to head home. He called Steve to advise him and was assured that the detective would come home soon.

It was dark when Steve got home. He glanced at the black and white parked in the shadows and sighed. He would be glad when all this was over. Going into the house, Mark told him Jesse was sleeping. Steve went to check. Jesse lay asleep on their bed. The recent lines of pain and fatigue disappeared while he slept; leaving the doctor looking so young and vulnerable that Steve felt love and protectiveness sweep through him for this special man. Jesse wore a baggy pair of sweatpants and an oversized t-shirt that Steve recognized as his. Bending over Jesse to kiss his cheek, Steve recognized the scent of his own aftershave and realized Jesse must have dabbed some of the t-shirt. Steve swallowed past the lump forming in his throat.//I swear I'll catch this madman, Jess// he mentally promised his sleeping lover.

Back upstairs, the two Slogans found their discussion going back to the case. Neither man was inclined to eat, deciding instead they would wait for Jesse and let the younger man decide what he wanted and they would simply fall in line. An unexpected tap on the front door had Steve cautiously peering through the spy-hole. A uniformed officer stood in the doorway looking at a notebook. Steve opened the door, but wasn't expecting the strength or speed of his attack. The false cop hit Steve hard on the temple almost knocking the big man unconscious immediately and dropping him to his knees. A gag was shoved into his mouth as the dazed man heard his attacker say loudly.

"Sorry to disturb you, Lieutenant. Just wanted to check you were all OK here."

Steve was hauled to his feet and shoved against the wall, his own handcuffs used to restrain him. He was pushed into the living room, a gun covering both him and Mark, as he staggered towards his shocked father.

"Kneel by Dr Sloan and he can then remove the gag. Don't expect the officers in the black and white to help. They're sleeping soundly."

"You OK, Steve?" Mark asked as he removed his son's gag.

"Disgusted at being caught so easy," Steve muttered darkly. "What now, Smithers?" he snarled.

"Now I kill you and your beautiful boy, Lieutenant Sloan," Smithers said in a conversational tone. "I was tempted to kill the boy first. But I've seen how much he means to you. You really love him; very touching. You would welcome being killed to join him. So instead you die first and you die praying I let your boy die as quickly. But I'll leave you wondering. Will I kill him quickly, or will I shoot him in the gut and let him die slowly, or perhaps I'll pleasure myself with him first. After all, I have seen just how beautiful his body is. Touched him, too."

"You bastard," Steve bellowed. He hoped his voice would alert Jesse, but feared that the toll on the younger man over the past couple of weeks would leave him asleep and defenseless until Smithers moved to attack him.

"Please," Mark begged hoarsely. "Please don't kill them. They're innocents. They don't deserve to die."

"Thanks to you I lost my only boy, Dr Sloan. There's nothing left in this world for me except pain, loneliness and vengeance. There are still eight more jurors and the Judge who have to pay. I'll find a way to make them all pay for my loss, to suffer as I suffer. Prepare to watch your son die."

As the gun was raised, the men heard a pained shriek.

"Nooo!" Jesse launched himself at the man who threatened his Mate. The two men went crashing to the ground in a tangle of arms and legs.

"Right pants pocket, Dad," Steve commanded jumping to his feet despite the stabbing pain in his head at the sudden movement. "Hurry!"

Jesse wrestled valiantly with his deranged attacker. He knew this was a fight he couldn't hope to win, but so long as it gave Steve a chance for survival, Jesse didn't care. He'd felt his stitches tear when he'd leapt at Smithers and he could feel the wetness as his stab wound bled freely. It was taking both his hands to hold the gun away from both him and those he sought to protect. He could see Smithers grinning maniacally above him. Then as Smithers shifted, the killer struck the young man beneath him a brutal back-handed blow. Jesse's vision greyed and he felt his strength giving out. Grimly he tried to hang on, but the second blow was purposely aimed at the stab wound so recently inflicted. Jesse couldn't stop the scream as agony radiated throughout his already weakened body. Smithers raised the gun and Jesse closed his eyes.

A shot rang out, but Jesse realized he was still alive. Smithers' unwelcome weight across his lower body disappeared and Jesse risked opening his eyes. Steve's concerned face swam in and out of focus above him.

"Jess," Steve gasped. "Oh dear God, Jess." The bigger man's voice broke as he gently touched Jesse's face as though afraid the smaller man would break.

"Love...you...Steve," Jesse whispered. The young man went limp in Steve's protective embrace, the sound of Police sirens from the call he had made the last thing he heard.

Jesse had been forced to spend a couple of days in Community General. The torn stitches had been repaired, but an infection had set in and the young man's temperature had spiked alarmingly. Fortunately, the medic had responded well to antibiotics and had been finally allowed home to the care of equally attentive and over-protective lover and surrogate father. Although still somewhat weak from all he had endured, Jesse's strength was returning and on the third day home, was taken for a short walk along the beach as late afternoon came round. Jesse and Steve were still staying at Mark's home. Each of the three men not wanting the other two far away in the aftermath of the Smithers nightmare. Jesse was beginning to feel more like his old self. He walked slowly alongside Mark, the older man's arm slung across Jesse's shoulders. Although it hadn't been Steve's intention to kill Smithers, when he'd seen Jesse helpless with Smithers aiming a gun at him, all Steve's training and innate marksmanship had come to the fore. Knowing there was no possibility of the maniac hurting any of them again was one of the biggest contributory factors to Jesse's recovery. All he had to do now was convince a very protective lover that he wasn't made of glass and he was ready to do more than simply kiss and cuddle, as much as he enjoyed the intimacy. He'd needed the gentle side of his lover when first out of hospital, but he had tried hinting the previous day that he was ready for some more strenuous loving which had apparently gone completely unnoticed by Steve.

"Hi there," Amanda waved as the two men returned to the beach house. "All ready, Mark?" she asked smiling.

Jesse watched dumb-struck as Mark lifted an overnight bag.

"Absolutely," Mark replied. He smiled at Jesse's obvious confusion and took the opportunity to tip the younger man's head down to kiss the top before ruffling his hair affectionately. "Tonight, Jess, three's a crowd so I'm taking Amanda for dinner and a movie and staying over at her place."

"But Steve's working ..." Jesse began.

"Oh I'm working alright," Steve's voice carried through from the living room as he walked through to the patio. "I'm working at making tonight special. Thanks, Dad, Amanda. Jesse, say goodnight to the nice people."

"Night," Jesse murmured. His eyes locked on Steve as the bigger man took his hand and led him away. The younger man oblivious to the giggles as Mark and Amanda left.

Steve led Jesse to the bathroom. A steaming bath had already been run and Jesse could smell vanilla and rose. He smiled tenderly as he noticed the rose petals that floated in the bath. Steve slowly stripped the younger man and kissed each part of the body he exposed. He then helped his smaller Mate into the bath. Jesse couldn't help the moan of appreciation as he sank into the steaming water. He moaned with even more appreciation as Steve slowly undressed himself. Kneeling at the side of the bath, Steve soaped the wash cloth and carefully cleansed his lover's body. Abandoning the wash cloth, Steve soaped his hands, cleansing Jesse's back and genitals, keeping his touches light to keep from arousing Jesse too quickly. Satisfied that Jesse was now completely cleansed, Steve then reached for two brandy balloon glasses. He passed one to Jesse.

"To you, my Love," Steve toasted "My Sunshine, my life."

"To you," Jesse echoed. "My everything, forever." The two men drank. Jesse felt warmer from Steve's heartfelt declaration than either the bath or brandy.

Taking the empty glass from Jesse's hand, Steve assisted the young man to stand and get out of the bath. He wrapped a thick fluffy towel around the slender body and carefully dried his lover. He then scooped up his relaxed Mate and carried him into the bedroom. Jesse smiled at the vanilla and ginger candles from his romantic evening. Steve lay Jesse down on the bed and blanketed his tiny lover with his body. Steve claimed Jesse's lips gently. As Jesse's mouth opened to his, he deepened the kiss, allowing his tongue to map out all of the recesses. Their tongues danced and mated until the need for air forced them apart. Steve trailed his kisses down Jesse's chin, throat and chest until he reached a small pink nipple. Steve licked it slowly, drawing his tongue across it with deliberate pressure, enjoying the feeling of the tiny nub hardening under his attentions. Opening his mouth wide, Steve drew in as much of the sensitive breast as he could; gratified to feel Jesse arch in pleasure beneath him and pleased by the cries of need spilling from his Mate's lips. Leaving one solid nub, Steve repeated the process on its lonesome twin. Finally he drew back to gaze lovingly and possessively at the slender man.

Jesse was flushed with arousal, his hair disheveled, and his eyes both dilated and darkened with desire. With a feral smile, Steve swallowed Jesse's straining erection. The taste of pre-come exploded on Steve's tongue and the bigger man knew he wanted more. He worked the innocent flesh mercilessly, using all his knowledge of his Mate's body ruthlessly to take the younger man to the brink of climax only to ease back and start over again. Finally he could stand his own teasing no longer, desirous of the bittersweet essence of his lover. He sucked and swallowed until with a scream Jesse's release flooded his welcoming mouth. He swallowed all the beautiful young man could offer and continued to suckle gently, even as Jesse softened, reluctant to release the flesh. He slowly allowed Jesse's penis to slip from his mouth and smiled at the sated young man.