Dies Irae 03

Story Info
Choices.
6.9k words
4.69
11.8k
6

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/24/2022
Created 02/23/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
thelema
thelema
24 Followers

Dear Reader, my sincerest apologies for taking so long to post, some mischievous spirit has been having great fun at my expense! I appreciate your patience. The next chapter should be up soon, though I make no promises after that, I assure you I will endeavour to finish the story in a timely manner. Feedback is always welcome. Thank you.

It was four thirty when they landed at a private airfield located in the outskirts of Granada. The compound was situated within the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, about a 100km from the airport. Matthias had told Astor he knew the country, so instead of a driver she opted for a black Murcielago to speed them to their destination; they reached it in under an hour. The last fifteen minutes of the drive had been an uncomfortable ride along a bumpy forest dirt road and, even though the car was a four wheel drive Astor mentally regretted her conspicuous choice of vehicle.

There was no proper entrance to the compound per se, the road simply stopped where the forest began, though where it ended a few jeeps and motorbikes were parked by the wayside. Astor pulled up alongside them and as instructed hooted a few times.

Almost instantly two men appeared from the cover of the canopy. It was obvious they shared the same genetic pool; dark skin and hair, tall and toned, and their eyes were an unusual confluence of brown and amber. Although there was a strong familial resemblance there were discernable differences in their appearance. David, who was the elder by five years, was more rugged, his stubble was a few days old, his hair was scruffy, yet despite that there was an air of dignified gravitas to his bearing. While Eduardo, who was twenty five, was clean shaven and had a neat crop, his posture was relaxed and there was a gaiety to his disposition.

Astor jumped out of the car and ran towards them with Beauty and Matthias in tow. "Hi I'm Astor, you should be expecting us? How's Fran?" She gabbled.

"Yes, yes, don't worry. The shock caused 'er to faint but the doctor's been and at least medically she's okay." Eduardo answered in a thick accent.

"Let's go." Astor said anxious to see her friend.

"We don't usually allow outsiders on our land, in the circumstances we will allow you and the dog entry, but he," David paused to give Matthias a cautionary look, "is not welcome." He spoke coolly and in flawless English.

Astor started to protest but was instantly cut off by Matthias, "It's absolutely fine. I will wait here." He said without spite, and smiled benignly at the men who shifted uneasily back at him.

"You've come all this way and you're just going to stay here?" He looked at her passively. "Fine. Beauty- Come." She didn't have the energy to argue with his illogical compliance to their seemingly unjust demand; she just wanted to see Fran.

Astor found herself following the men along an inconspicuous footpath through a thicket of undergrowth and dense woodland. Another time she would have admired the beautiful green lushness of the environment, explored the various paths that sporadically appeared and meandered from the main one, but in her present state nothing could console her to Jack's murder; she kept her eyes glued forward, Beauty trailing by her side.

"I'm Ed and my brother is David. 'ow was your flight?"

"I don't mean to be rude but I'm not really in the mood for chit chat." She said wearily.

"We understand you must 'ave 'ad a terrible shock. It's not far, really." Eduardo replied sympathetically, "And I'm sorry for not allowing your friend in but 'is kind isn't welcome 'ere."

"What do you mean hiskind? German? He's not a Nazi!" Astor snapped.

"Er, I, I ..." Eduardo horrified by the misunderstanding stammered to apologise.

"Excuse my brother," David swiftly interjected, Ed was always making pass away comments and putting his foot in it, "Fran is in the cabin just over there," he pointed to a small clearing about twenty meters away.

She looked through the trees and spied the basic wooden structure. "Thanks," she said before hot-footing it to the cabin.

The door was slightly ajar and she tentatively pushed it open. Fran was lying on a bed and appeared to be sleeping. Next to her was a wizened woman reclining in a chair. She looked up at Astor and smiled warmly. "You must be Astor, and that must be Beauty, Fran's told me all about you. I'm Nina, Fran's deceptively looking younger sister," the old woman chuckled to herself, "come in and pull up a chair."

Astor quietly picked up a chair from the corner and placed it on the opposing side to Nina, who was being greeted by Beauty. For a moment the dog rested her head on the corner of the bed and softly whimpered, her tail gently wagging, before she settled down next to Astor.

"How is she?" Astor asked in a hushed voice.

"The doctor gave her a sedative. She's distraught but she's strong. How are you coping?"

"Devastated. He was such a good man he didn't deserve this, not like this." She shook her head as she spoke, new tears formed and fell.

"I didn't know him very well but he was obviously a kind man, and my sister loved him very much. Carmen, the village girl you spoke with, said he was murdered, I'm sorry to ask, but how? Do the police know who did this?"

"Someone who wanted to hurt me." She quickly said her eyes not averting from the floor.

"What?" Nina looked at her with concern.

"Last night at the pub, this strange man was asking all these questions, he wanted to buy Beauty," she said in disgust, "and we got into an argument and I told him where to go... Jack warned me about him, he said he was dangerous, and Matthias thought he was dangerous too," she paused at the memory recalling the odd certainty at which Matthias had maligned the man, "and the killer left a message, naming Matthias and inferring to me," she sighed deeply "that my time will soon be done." Her eyes left the floor and met Nina's.

"You're safe here Astor," Nina assured her.

"It's not your fault!"

"Fran!" Astor jumped from her chair and settled on the bed hugging her tightly. Beauty too jumped at the woman's voice, and waggled her tail excitedly as she nuzzled her head under Fran's palm.

"I heard what you said; the man, Beauty, the message and Matthias. Where is he?" She asked as Astor released her hold.

"He's outside the entrance; we were told he wasn't welcome." She said with contempt.

Fran looked at her sister. "I would like to speak to him."

Nina simply nodded, stood up and left the cabin.

Astor hadn't given much consideration to Matthias' involvement but she was beginning to feel as if he was too good to be true, as if, there was something that everyone knew but her.

"He isn't what he seems." Fran said to her, quite aware how strange this must all seem.

"I...I slept with him." She blurted out.

"Oh my dear!" Fran said with alarm and clutched at her hand, "Did he hurt you?"

"Nooo!" She was aghast, "Quite the opposite. Fran what's going on?"

"Something hard to believe." She despondently answered. "I don't mean to be cryptic. They'll be here soon dear." She patted her hand and started to cry.

Astor didn't press the woman for information, her concern and compassion for Fran far outweighed the questions forming in her mind and the queasiness she felt in her stomach.

"It will be alright Fran, we'll get through this." She too began crying again and cuddled up to the woman.

After the tears had somewhat abated Astor asked her the question she wished not to be. "Are there any arrangements in place? Obviously I'll handle them, or anyway Marcia will - she sends her condolences."

Fran looked at her with fresh tears in her eyes formed from a mix of gratitude and sorrow, "Something simple, with a good booze up. Nothing maudlin, he would want us to celebrate not mourn."

They sat there crying, laughing, grieving, remembering Jack. In time they heard footsteps outside.

......

Matthias watched the men lead Astor down the path. He knew he was being watched, he didn't mind, he understood. He sat in the car meditating on everything that had happened. One question particularly troubled him, 'What does Vincent want?' Vincent might be psychotic but he wasn't exactly deranged, he was calculative and didn't just randomly pick targets, there was always something else at play.

"What am I missing?" He said aloud. "The dog is a dog, or is she? If she's not a dog then what is she?" He slapped the dashboard in frustration.

He expected Fran would want to see him. She had known instantly what he was when he first entered the pub, and although they had developed a rapport, he couldn't be sure how she would react to him once she knew the true cause of Jack's death. He therefore wasn't surprised to see the two men return, this time accompanied by an elderly looking woman. They stayed back as she approached and he got out of the car.

"Hello I'm Nina, Fran's sister. Please, she would like to talk with you."

A look passed between them, it was one of innate understanding, for within each other they recognised the entropic casualty of their own existence.

"Please, lead the way," he said with resignation.

Eduardo and David looked at him menacingly as he approached them.

"Stop with the posturing boys," she admonished them.

They deferentially nodded and walked on a few paces ahead while Matthias and Nina strolled behind.

"She likes you."

"I like her."

"She needs to be told."

"I know- unfortunately."

"I think she'll surprise you."

"Do you? I know who killed Jack. I don't know why - yet, but with what I know, with what I knew, how will she see me as anything other than an accomplice?"

"This is more complex than any of us know, there have been signs for a while a now, we all have our part to play, and we are all accomplices. Jack is a tragic victim, but a catalyst too."

"Did you know?"

"I knew enough." She tightly pursed her lips, she would say no more.

The brothers disappeared off into the surrounding woods as they drew near to the cabin, as the two approached the door they could hear laughter from inside.

"Hello Matthias." Fran greeted him without malice as they entered the room, Astor remained still.

He immediately moved to her side, "I'm sorry about Jack I thought very highly of him, and you, and if I'd known ..."

Fran cut him off, "...it's ok, I believe you to be innocent, but I would like to know what you know?" She solemnly asked.

Matthias stepped back and looked at Astor, who was staring at him with suspect eyes. He didn't hold her stare but turned to Fran instead, "Perhaps Astor should leave?"

"Fuck off!" Astor shouted, "I'm not going anywhere, whatever you have to say I have a right to know!"

"Fine! Astor I'm a vampire." He briskly said.

"What?" Astor said in utter disbelief, she was surprised that the other women didn't share her astonishment.

"He is," Nina confirmed.

"Have you all gone mad?" She exclaimed.

"He is, as mad as it may seem," Fran tried to convince her, "Perhaps you want some proof?" She looked at Matthias for a response.

"I'm not a freak show!" he said with mock indignation. "However saying that, do you want fangs or a demonstration of healing powers?"

"Er, definitely both." She said with sardonic incredulity.

Matthias smiled and watched as Astor's eyes widened and her chin dropped as his canines elongated. He then carefully rolled up his sleeve as if he was a magician performing a trick, but it was no trick, not breaking his eye contact with Astor, he bit down on his wrist.

Astor watched in mesmeric horror as she saw the blood trickle down his arm, and then in amazement as he licked up the spilled blood until the wound was just gone. "Ok, so vampires exist." Astor's brain whizzed around the idea, "and you knew?"

"Yes."

"Did Jack know?"

"No. I'm sure you have many questions, but please be patient, Matthias I'm sure will explain everything to you, for now he needs to tell me what really happened."

"So I'm not in danger?"

"I would never hurt you! As Fran said, I'll explain everything to you. First, we need to share what we know." He looked at Nina contemplatively before continuing. "Jack was murdered by a vampire named Vincent." Nina and Fran turned white, "Ah- I see his reputation precedes him". He said with remorse.

"This was the man, um, er, sorry vampire, who wanted Beauty?" Astor asked. She was shaking and fresh tears started to fall down her face as she tried to process the true horror of the situation.

"Why did he want Beauty?" Fran asked looking at the dog anew.

"I don't know but she's the key mystery, as far as I can tell she is a normal dog. I was hoping you might have an idea?"

"Nina?" Fran asked.

"No, she's not just a dog."

"What does that mean?" Astor asked, wondering what she'd been caring for all this time.

"Nina can't tell us. Astor you know the story of Cassandra." Fran replied.

"Are you a prophetess?"

"More a clairvoyant, I have visions, not always clear and not always definite, to speak of the future with certainty is dangerous; fate is something I've learnt to take with a pinch of salt."

"Did you know?" Fran asked her sister, a note of anger stained her question.

"You know even if I had I wouldn't have been able to say. I knew you were going to have a difficult time, but not what it concerned exactly, I thought if you were here ..."

"...Was that what it was about?" her sister asked with concern. 'It' referred to the debilitating fit Nina had suffered a few weeks ago; it had caused her hair to turn white and had virtually sucked the life out of the poor woman.

Nina sighed heavily. She wasn't used to feeling so frail and helpless. "In part, Beauty, Astor and Matthias have all been in my dreams but to what it all means, I don't know."

And she didn't know. Her visions were like riddles never being what they seemed, but they weren't completely abstract either, they could be solved if interpreted correctly. And in some circumstances she was able to influence the course of events. Nothing was really predetermined in life except death, and she didn't need a crystal ball to know her time was drawing to a close. Though she was prepared for death, she was scared for those who were left behind, for the vague glimpses that she had deciphered didn't portend well for the future.

"I know one thing," Matthias cut in, "Vincent won't give up until he has the dog, or whatever Beauty is. And if Vincent wants something we can assume it's not for good. This place has extra protection other than the pack right?" He directed the question to Nina who nodded. "Good. Even so underestimating Vincent capabilities would be foolish. I think we can assume he will find his way here and though I am loath to leave, there are some contacts I can hopefully exploit for information."

"We'll send word to others; see if anyone else has felt darkness lurking. Regarding Vincent, it would take a very powerful sorcerer to break the protection spell." Nina looked at Astor to explain, "It basically stops anyone causing us harm. Yes, magic is real too." She added, sensing Astor's scepticism.

"Is Beauty a werewolf?" Astor asked as the thought suddenly occurred to her.

"No, and nor is she a shape shifter, she smells like a perfectly normal dog." Matthias answered in a matter of fact way.

"Exactly how many different things could she be? Surely it's just a question of deduction."

"Astor has a point, as far as I can recall apart from weres and shifters, only witches and wizards have the ability to change human form," Fran mused.

"And gods," Nina added.

"This is preposterous! Beauty! Come!" The dog perked its ears at the command. All eyes were on her as she moved towards Astor, her tail wagging sheepishly. "Beauty, if you are some magical being now would be the time to reveal yourself." Beauty just cocked her head at this comment. She looked at the dog pleadingly, "Please after everything, I at least deserve to know who you are?" In response to this Beauty just sought Astor's hand for a stroke.

"You still think she's just a dog?"

"Matthias, I don't know what to believe, it's all unbelievable." She shook her head thinking of Jack and now this hocus pocus. Other, older, painful memories started surfacing, magnifying her distress, it was too much and Astor felt herself cracking. She stood up, muttered "Please excuse me," and left the cabin. Beauty loped after her.

Matthias motioned to follow Astor but was halted by Fran, "Let her be," she advised. He hesitated and then glumly sat on the chair just vacated by Astor.

"She just needs some time, it's a lot to take in and with Jack..." Fran paused at the use of his name, she wasn't reconciled to her beloved's death, how could she accept that he was gone, she didn't get to say goodbye.

"It was stupid of me not to think that Vincent would seek retribution for stopping him getting to Astor."

"And if you hadn't, he would've hurt her. I know which one Jack would've preferred." She wept, and then in a very grim tone she said to them, "He deserves vengeance and I, I will have justice."

...............

Vincent was woken by a loud painful buzzing from within his head. "Yesss," he hissed and the buzzing slightly subsided.

"It was entirely necessary," he shouted. He wasn't going to stand for his methods being questioned, he hadn't lived this long nor required his reputation for naught.

"I'm not distracted! Everything will be in order soon!"

The buzzing rapidly increased again as if angry and then stopped. Vincent rubbed his head salubriously and turned to look at the lifeless form next to him. The difference that death made to a body remained fascinating to him; a few hours ago this body was alive, its occupier had been particularly naive and all the more rewarding for it, she had so much hope and potential, "Ha, what an idiot," he cruelly snarled.

He thought about the old man and his pathetic pleas for mercy. Maybe his death hadn't been entirely necessary but it had proved fruitful; he now had the girl's name and address.

Vincent looked around the opulent room and considered his options. He might have made things harder for himself but he liked a challenge. It had taken him months to track the dog down. The only information he had was a beautiful black bitch in the London area; he didn't think any dogs were beautiful. How many had he tried to buy in the last few months? Thousands, and now he had found her, and his old nemesis to boot.

He decided on a course of action and quickly dressed. As he left the room he glanced back at the cadaver and made a mental note to dump the rubbish later. It was rather useful having a place on Harley Street as he could easily slip the remains in with the actual surgical disposals. In the past he had proffered medical services, though the modern era with its bureaucratic and officious legalities made such an operation too bothersome, he didn't need the hassle when there were so many other delicious ways to get what he needed.

He stepped outside and snorted derisively; it was rush hour. "Peons," he spat, before heading to his destination.

......

Astor and Beauty had been walking for twenty minutes. Walking was her form of meditation. She wasn't feeling very strong, though she knew she possessed the strength to endure the pain and that with time it would heal, she didn't want to have to cope with the chaos, but what choice did she have?

She could just about accept the notion that vampires existed, figuring that most myths are based on some historical premise. It made sense to remain secretive; would she have told Matthias the outright truth? Doubtful. Did it even matter that he was a vampire? She decided she had no right to pass judgment without a full explanation. What was particularly vexing to her was how much she liked him, because she'd seen the films, read the books and she knew it couldn't possibly end well.

thelema
thelema
24 Followers
12