Dies Irae 04

Story Info
Gone with the Drama: It all goes Greek.
5.1k words
4.71
8k
9

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/24/2022
Created 02/23/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
thelema
thelema
24 Followers

Dear Reader,

Again sorry about time lapse, I wish I could work faster too! Just a quick warning that I've taken creative liberties with history, it is not meant to offend, and to those with religious sensibilities you probably shouldn't be on this site anyway! I am aware that the language might be challenging to some but I would rather assume knowledge than ignorance, and frankly there are far too many good words not to use. As always, feedback is sincerely appreciated. Many thanks.

Astor and Matthias were cruising at 12,000 feet en route to Florence, Italy.

They had left the compound just after eight in the evening. Astor had eaten and spent some time with Fran, who hadn't objected to her swift departure, she would've gone too if it hadn't been for Nina's deteriorating health. Beauty had also been left in her care; the first plane journey had been exhausting enough and another change in environment simply wouldn't be fair to the dog.

They hadn't really spoken since they departed. Astor had spent the whole drive to the airport on the phone talking to Marcia, her part-time personal assistant and full-time friend. They had been at school together; Marcia had been boarded with Astor when she entered as a new girl. She was a scholarship student, extremely bright but as she came from a working class background some of the girls picked on her, "learn to talk properly," they would taunt; she said bu-er instead of butter and pronounced the letter 'h', haitch, instead of aitch.

When Marcia left the school five years later her RP accent (Received Pronunciation, the Queens English) had been perfected and the other girls could no longer demarcate her. Conversely, whenever she returned home during the holidays her old friends would mock her for this affectation of speech, and even she was horrified to find herself wincing at their improper inflections. It was one of things she loved about Astor, she didn't judge people on how they spoke but what they had to say, and Astor, somewhat symbiotically, loved Marcia because she didn't live in a rich bubble.

The plane finished its climb and they were now sitting comfortably; the interior was plush cream and wood panelled, and it was equipped with all the modern conveniences one could possibly want, without ever needing. Astor stood up put on a collection of Schubert's piano trios and then poured them each a good draught of scotch. She had many questions to ask though she wasn't angry about his deceit; she learnt long ago that anger was a useless counterproductive emotion that stood in the way of rational thought. All she wanted was the truth, even if it was ugly.

Matthias was quite at ease waiting for Astor to collect herself and begin the inquisition. He occupied himself with his iphone, sending emails across the globe inquiring if anyone had caught wind of Vincent's activities. He marvelled at present day technology even with his whims of nostalgia over the horse as an all but obsolete means of travel; adventuring really wasn't what it used to be.

She began her interrogation with a simple direct question, "Did you drink my blood this morning?" It wasn't an accusation she merely sought confirmation.

"Yes, but in my defence you didn't seem to mind."

"No I suppose not." She blushed. "What's it like?"

"Surely my reaction told you everything?"

She blushed again. "You're not planning on turning me into your sex slave until you drain me dry are you?" She said with a wry smile.

"Not unless you would like me to!" He blushed back as his mind was filled with images of Astor in various indecent positions; he hoped they wouldn't just be fantasies. "Sex isn't a necessary condition of feeding but the endorphins do make the blood taste sweeter. Yours is remarkably sweet." His tongue swept across his lips. "I can easily go a month without eating, after that I get a little lethargic. I once experimented and went four months without blood, and I can assure you an anorexic vampire is not someone you would care to meet!"

"But you obviously have control over your impulses?"

"It's not even an impulse; I need to drink blood to live! The thing is Astor the generally accepted mythology about vampires is that we are evil soulless creatures, when we are nothing of the sort. We were all human once, we never died, we never lost our humanity. Unfortunately being maligned throughout history as 'evil', a small number of vampires have laboured under the misapprehension that they're the spawn of Satan and behave as such. The greatest misconception about vampires is that we can't walk in the sun, that it will somehow burn our skin. Poppycock! But if you believe yourself to be a creature of the night and prefer to inhabit the shadows of the dark, overtime of course your body reacts aversely to the light. It's stupidity of course, but by the same token most of these idiots fall foul of natural selection."

"Is that why Vincent is the way he is because he believes himself to be evil?" She almost felt sorry for him.

"No, Vincent was a sadistic sociopath even in life. Have you heard of Gilles de Rais?"

"He's Gilles de Rais?" She spluttered in shock at the name of the notorious fifteenth century occultist child serial killer.

"No, but Gilles de Rais became the man he was because of him. Vincent was born Francesco Prelati. From a young age he had been obsessed with the occult and he became a brilliant alchemist. In 1432 he was expelled from his home town of Florence for the brutal murders of several prostitutes, he went to France, met Rais, and the rest as they say is history."

"Why did he change his name?"

"The same reasons I change mine. It's useful to have various aliases and an obscured origin makes one difficult to track. Vincent is a fairly new moniker but you should also know that one of his more famous historical incarnations was Jack the Ripper."

"Oh my god! No wonder they never caught him." She started wondering if other monsters of history were actual real monsters. "Have many serial killers been vampires?"

"The bloody ones often are I'm afraid."

"That Hungarian countess, what's her name?"

"Elizabeth Báthory, yes, and Vincent had a hand in her corruption too." He said with remorse.

"We're not going to see her are we?" Astor asked with nervous hesitance.

"No, she is definitely dead. We're going to see Vincent's sister Valeria." Astor looked horrfied.

"Don't worry she is the antithesis of her brother. Valeria was a nun, and it wasn't just that it was one of the few vocations open to women, she truly had faith, and Vincent, in his vileness, loves nothing better than to corrupt what is pure and good, he brutally raped and then turned her."

"How awful! So she isn't loyal to him then?"

"Not loyal, but understandably she is terrified of him and might not be exactly forthcoming. As much as I care for her, she is slightly unhinged and can be a little difficult. However she has a good heart and if it comes down to it she owes me."

"What for?"

"I helped her adjust to the lifestyle. In some ways Astor it has been easy for you to accept the existence of other beings because you have been exposed to the supernatural through the popular media," he grunted disdainfully and continued, "it's not an unknown world just a misconceived one, but Valeria truly believed in god and the devil and so the trauma of being turned into this supposed blood drinking monster nearly destroyed her."

"How did he become a vampire, what madman made him one?"

"It's something I've never discovered and it's troubling in itself." He shook his head, "We are quite an elitist group, there aren't that many of us, five thousand at the most worldwide. At the time maybe two thousand in Europe and Russia and despite us all being quite solitary in our own existence, we're a close nit community. I was in Germany when I heard of the abominations committed by Rais, and as such depravity is rarely the work of humans I headed to Machecoul. I learned of Francesco's involvement, he was still human then but as I understand he had acquired certain powers through ancient invocations and ritualistic sacrifices. To be honest I've never really been au fait as to what magic is, as I understand it's not good or bad but more Ying and Yang. Anyway he was long gone from the town, I traced him to Florence, I met Valeria who was also still human and had no idea as to the whereabouts of her brother. I stayed in Florence for a few weeks hoping he would return. If I can say one thing about Vincent, he knows how to keep a low profile." He swilled his drink meditatively and then knocked it back before continuing.

"I left Florence, followed a few tenuous leads, nothing. Six months later I returned, I visited Valeria and discovered she had disappeared from the convent two weeks prior to my arrival. I went to their family home and I was greeted by the rotting corpses of their parents and servants. Valeria was chained to a wall and had been made a vampire. That was the first time I met Vincent." His expression was pensive and he made a small tut with his tongue against clenched teeth.

"What happened?"

"The short of it; we fought, I won, I was about to kill him, Valeria screamed at me not to," he breathed in deeply, "I let my guard down for an instant, he stunned me and got away." He stared in to his empty glass and then turned back to Astor, "I'm not someone who really dwells on the past, but not killing Vincent then was my greatest mistake. Our strength grows over time but after a few hundred years plateaus, I think because our bodies have become attuned to the change." He paused momentarily to collect his thoughts. "For six hundred years, we've been playing a game of cat and mouse and I'm not sure which one I am anymore. The truth is Astor I don't know if I am able to kill him, when we last fought at the end of the Second World War, I nearly had him, and then he vanished before my very eyes disappearing into the ether."

"What does that mean?"

"Good question, I'll have to get back to you on that one." He sighed.

Matthias could see she was turning everything over. Several times she looked as though she was going to speak but changed her mind.

Eventually she asked anxiously, "Matthias, do god and the devil exist?"

"Do you believe in them?"

"I don't, I mean I didn't, but if you tell me they're real well I don't think I could dispute their existence."

"Then no they don't exist for you. Faith is a very powerful conviction, what you hold to be true has a very real impact on your reality."

"What do you believe?"

"Thankfully I avoided the whole Abrahamic religious indoctrination of good and evil. I was a Pythagorean as well as an initiate of the Orphic mysteries."

"Weren't Pythagoreans vegetarians? How does that tally with drinking blood?"

"You're very well informed." He said in wonder.

"You've seen my library the books aren't just for decoration! How did you become a vampire then?"

"When Orpheus lost Eurydice the second time he was beyond consolation. He actively sought to anger the gods and started this anarchic cult. That was bad enough, but he also spurned the advances of Hera, who as I'm sure you know had an enthusiastic taste for vengeance. For his hubris her creative punishment was to turn him into a vampire, though she didn't foresee the self-perpetuating effect of his blood." He chuckled. "Why do you think one of her emblems is a pomegranate? It's a symbol of fertile blood, death and immortality."

"Orpheus was the first vampire?" She couldn't quite believe it.

"Indeed he is."

"He is? What do you mean he is? He's alive!?"

"The last I heard he was deejaying in Ibiza."

"Fuck me!"

"Would love to," He said hungrily.

"Down boy I'm not finished with you yet. You've still not told me how you became one?"

"Orpheus was lonely, as I said when he lost Eurydice for good, no other woman could ever compare and he became homosexual."

She looked at him curiously.

"I'm not gay Astor, but us ancient Greeks had a much more open attitude to sex, most people were bisexual and there was no conception that same sex relationships were wrong, indeed it was considered to be a pedagogical experience. I was completely surprised when Orpheus came to me, he offered me immortality and I accepted."

"It was that simple?"

"Yes. How would you feel if I offered it to you?"

"We've only just met."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"Are you asking me for real or hypothetically?"

"Just answer the question Astor."

"I don't know Matthias, would you recommend it?"

"For someone like you? Yes, absolutely. Think how many books you would get to read, you can travel and see the whole world, and you'll never tire of it, you will always be young, you will always be beautiful, you would be truly free."

"Well when you put it like that."

He was on her in a flash, covering her mouth with his, they shared a long, desperate and passionate kiss. "It can be a very lonely life," he breathed against her.

"I've been alone for most of my life anyway, but I'm not saying turn me, I do need to think about it."

"What's there to think about?" He tried to capture her lips again but she kept moving her head to avoid him. "Will you stop that!"

"Matthias what do you want from me?"

He pulled away and looked at her, "just you," he said as he swept a wayward lock from her face.

"I can't believe I'm even having this conversation. How does one become a vampire?"

"A simple blood transfer, I drink some of your blood and you drink some of mine, the risk is minimal you'll feel a bit faint from the blood loss, but once you start drinking you'll feel strong and very healthy."

"You said the sun thing was a myth, but what about garlic, Churches and other religious paraphernalia? And also what about bodily waste and pregnancy and ..."

"... Slow down! Garlic is fine to eat; it has an unpleasant odour and nothing more. Since you don't believe in religion, religious paraphernalia has no bearing on you. As for excrement, we don't need to eat or drink but you can still find pleasure in taste. The olfactory sense is indeed heightened. However, if you do eat, your body will need to expunge the waste, though if you stick to a blood diet your body metabolises all of it. Blood is pure energy to us. As far as I'm aware no vampiress has ever given birth. However, there are a few scientists among us who have been studying why we are the way we are, it turns out to be a complex genetic mutation, apparently even gods have to work within the laws of nature, and with the advancements in scientific technology there might one day be some development."

"I never saw myself having children anyway but I like having the option. What aren't you telling me?"

"There really are only a few negatives; like all beings we can die, a wooden stake won't do it but if someone manages to remove your whole heart ... and exploding bullets are quite effectual ... and of course decapitation just about kills everything, except for cockroaches," he mused.

"It doesn't seem like much of a punishment."

"For Orpheus it is, he will never see his true love again. Even if he chooses to leave the terrestrial world, as a demi-god he will join the gods, not Eurydice."

"So are the Greek gods still around then?"

"They weren't even around when I was human. It irks me nowadays that people anthropomorphise the gods, as if they possessed some compassion for humanity, when they had nothing of the sort, they were capricious and callous and utterly self-absorbed. They had their fun with humankind, and I dare say they're satisfied with how entrenched they're in civilisation, but as soon as the demands and needs of worshipers outweighed the benefits of worship, they abandoned us. Actually this pretty much applies to all the mythologies, be it Nordic, Mesoamerican or Egyptian."

"But they exist, right?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry but I don't understand, you said god and the devil don't exist and yet the Greek gods do? That makes no sense."

"I said they didn't exist for you not that they weren't real."

"So I'm not going to hell?" Astor asked with trepidation, she was definitely a sinner!

"No, Mephistopheles has a strong code of honour which might seem a misnomer to his mantle as the Lord of Darkness but he really only messes with God's flock."

"What about the apocalypse?"

"Ah, the end of the world." He said with amusement.

"What?"

"Since the dawn of time people have thought the world will end, and maybe one day it will, but frankly apocalyptic revelations are just hysteria."

"Does nothing scare you?"

His forehead furrowed in thought, "I've never been a fan of spiders actually."

"That's not what I meant."

"I'm scared of losing you beautiful."

His sincerity was overwhelming, after everything that had happened Astor was an emotional wreck, and perhaps justifiably didn't trust her own blossoming feelings. They frightened her, for an open heart can be hurt. She unclasped herself from his arms and stood up to fetch another drink, it was easier to ignore him.

Matthias was not to be ignored and also stood up. "I'm sorry if that scares you, but I refuse to be coy about how I feel. What is it with people today and the stupid games they play, if people were more honest with each other..." he was annoyed, nobody likes rejection, "... you've been married, did he profess love and then cheat on you?" He regretted it the instance he said it but he had said it nonetheless.

"How dare you! You don't know what you're talking about." She seethed.

"Tell me then." He fixed her with his eyes and gently took her by the hand as they sat back down.

She inhaled deeply. "It's not that simple. Karl's family and mine go way back; our great grandparents managed to emigrate just before the revolution, our grandparents were in business together and our mothers were best friends and god-parents to Karl and me. You know my parents were murdered when I was twelve?"

"I'm sorry Astor, I assumed they were dead, what happened to them?"

"My father was a diplomat in Russia and the embassy was bombed by the Chechens after arms sold by the British were used to repress them." She spoke without vituperation.

"That must have been hard."

"That's somewhat of an understatement. For a long time I was very angry, for dying, for leaving me alone, for ending my childhood." She bit her bottom lip and looked him in directly in the eye, "My uncle was my legal guardian and he abused me."

"Oh Astor." Matthias was besieged by anguish.

"No it's fine. I refuse to be a victim. I've learnt to accept the things that are beyond my control. Maybe that's why I can deal with this current chaos." She rolled her eyes.

"What happened to your uncle?"

"What happened?" She smiled wickedly, "With Marcia's help I filmed him one night, handed the tape to the police and he's currently a guest at one of her majesty's finest establishments. I was sixteen and suddenly I was free, and completely irresponsible." She shook her head at the memory of herself, "I had more money than most people can even conceive. Money might not make you happy but if you don't have to worry about it, you can pretty much do what you want without repercussion. Marcia calls it 'fuck you money'."

"She sounds smart."

"Smartest person I know. She never took any of my shit but she didn't judge me for my behaviour either, without her support I would probably be someone entirely different, she made me stay in school, apply to university, she kept me grounded. She never liked Karl, she always thought he was spoilt and petty, she practically begged me not to marry him, and we fell out, but when things ended she was immediately there for me, she, Fran and," she paused and barely whispered "Jack."

thelema
thelema
24 Followers
12