Dominion Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You can't run from it, Young wolf," her voice was low, almost resigned in its tone. "We cannot help who we love."

"What I desire is unattainable. It is pointless to entertain the idea at all."

"We shall see."

Jahren took the cuff and stashed it in his coin purse as he stood, nodding in thanks at the elder Maeleq while he helped Aryei to her feet.

"Be careful how you navigate your exit, young wolf. The guards are searching for you."

"why?" He stopped and turned to her with a frown. "I've been so careful."

"The recent altercation you had with the large man." her smile was devious as she pulled out a set of cards and started shuffling them. "Tell the copper owl that I wish him luck on his next move."

The Daegra said nothing as he made his way from the secret room out into the other part of the inn. He kept his head down and moved quickly, Aryei struggling to keep up behind. He kept to the shadows as he moved through the concession stands, avoiding eye contact with everyone and focusing his sights on the exit. It would be hard to avoid being spotted with the slave girl at his side, but the closer he was to the way out, the better chance he had at making it out successfully.

Calm yourself. I'm working on a solution as we speak.

"I'll trust you to get me out of this. Contact my squad if things go wrong."

The girl is a variable we didn't account for.

"I couldn't just leave her. I'm sorry."

I understand.

Jahren stopped short in front of a group of men and fought to hide his panic as he was pointed out and approached.

"You there. You are being detained on grounds of assault."

"What is the meaning of this?" he growled he was separated from Aryei and placed in shackles. A suppression cuff was placed on his wrist and he did his best not to struggle as they lead him away from his only exit. "I've done nothing wrong."

"You've been accused of assault. We don't tolerate unruly attitudes here."

Jahren ticked in frustration but relented as he thought of what to do. Without his strength he was no match for any of these guards, let alone all of them at once. Aryei would no doubt be placed back in the slave house while he awaited his judgment, and who knew what kind of treatment she would get there? He kept up the pace set for him and prayed that Okuo knew what he was doing.

"There must be some kind of mistake here. Why is my guest being arrested?"

A man blocked their path, and he was nothing like Jahren had ever seen. His eyes were gold like a Naugu, and his smile betrayed the fangs of the notorious blood thieves... but his skin was the color of fresh earth and his ink colored hair was fashioned in the same knotted locks that the High Priests of Jhelati wore. They clung to the top of his head in a loosely tied knot, with a few finger sized locks framing his face. The guards stopped short, their eyes betraying their confusion as they regarded the man.

"He was accused of assault."

"I can vouch for his integrity. He wouldn't start a fight without reason," His air of confidence lead Jahren to believe that this man had a good deal of pull in this place. The guards were hesitant to disagree with him. "You would dare to disrespect a patron of the Black Hole? A patron who funds most of the shops here? Come now, let my friend go."

Jahren was released without another word, and soon Aryei was curled up under his arm. He turned to the man who advocated their release and forced a smile.

"Thank you. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't helped me."

"Nonsense. You are under my name," he explained as he lead them toward the exit. "If the sister keeper was found in your possession... the suspicion would have fallen on me."

"I can understand that," Jahren replied with a sigh. The man was looking out for his own interests after all. Still, he saved Jahren's life, "I still appreciate your stepping in on my behalf."

"The old man owes me. Don't let him forget. This could have cost me everything."

The door was opened and the two Daegra escaped into the dark tunnel. They didn't dare to breath until they were on the other side of the gate near the entrance. Even then, the fear didn't subside until they were well away from the cave, floating through the brisk morning air to avoid leaving any tracks that could be followed. Jahren's intuition told him they were safe, but he couldn't shake the feeling of dread that followed his retreat. That place was a disease, and he hoped he would never have to return there again.

12