Dominoes Falling Ch. 01

Story Info
What a man does when the dominoes of his life start falling.
7k words
3.77
27.3k
28
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"All in all, a good day boss."

Nathaniel Hastings was about to close the shop and head home when his secretary, Vanessa walked into his office with the finance books in her arms. She walked to his desk and promptly plunked the heavy books on it.

"Have you heard about computers?" she sarcastically asked, placing her slender arms on her hips. "They can do the work twice as quick with minimum hassle and are not so easily destroyed."

"Not again," Nathan sighed. For the past two weeks, Vanessa had made a routine of walking into his office and inopportune times to remind him about the various merits of computerizing the shop. Though the idea was lucrative with its increased business, Nathan was not inclined to with his other commitments. Furthermore, he surmised how much more a garage can make even if it was computerized. He grunted in disapproval as he fixed her with a stare, drinking in her power pose. "I got to leave. Lock up when you leave," he stated firmly as he hung up his overalls.

Vanessa stood there with an impish smile on her face, shifting her hands a little so they rested on her back. Nathan glanced at her before walking out the door and immediately regretted it as his eyes were drawn towards her considerable bosom, straining against the fabric of the shirt. He was captivated by it as Vanessa walked towards him with slowly and deliberately, smiling as she did for she knew the effect it was having on him. When she was a mere few inches apart, she whispered huskily "Wouldn't want these to get damaged do you?"

It took Nathan a moment to realize that she intended her fingers by 'it'. Breaking out of his trance, he smiled awkwardly as Vanessa giggled uncontrollably. Nathan joined her laugh, holding out the door open for her as they both exited his office.

"Should have seen the look on your face? Gets you every time" Vanessa joked as she burst into giggles anew.

"You are definitely not getting a computer," Nathan threatened her, with a wide smile plastered over his face.

"You can see all you want but you lost your chance," she commented as she went to her desk. Vanessa always stayed an hour more than him, locking up on her way out. Whenever he did ask her why she didn't leave when he did, she quipped that unlike her boss she had to work to keep the business afloat. Nathan would have been worried if it was anyone else, but he had known Vanessa for a long time and he trusted her. In fact, she was the first person he hired and she had been with him for nearly seven years. Apart from rendering him speechless by dazzling him with her abundant bosom, Vanessa was a friend more than a secretary and extremely fun to be around.

"Yeah, big fat chances for a guy like me with someone like you," Nathan stated sardonically.

"You sure did. Before you went all boss on me making it illegal for dating within the company," she retorted.

"What can I say?" Nathan said. "Company rules. Upper management is very strict about it."

"You are the upper management," Vanessa exasperatedly stated before straightening out her suit and seating down in her chair.

"If the upper management were to change the rules, would I still have a chance?" Nathan inquired as he lent over her desk, trying to charm her with his best smile.

Vanessa raised her right eyebrow annoyed questioning manner. When Nathan still waited for her answer without the slightest clue that he understood her silent one she pointed his ring. "Not with the band on your hand. No chance," she answered. "What's the matter, boss? Not getting enough at home?" she teased him before diving into her books, shooing him to get going with her hand. "I have to work and also don't want to keep your wife waiting."

What she didn't see was the tight smile on his face at the mention of his wife. It looked like was trying to bite an invisible plate. Quickly recovering, he bid farewell before walking towards the staircase. Going out the back door, Nathan got into his car staring blankly at the shop. His thoughts in turmoil gradually settled on the structure in front of him.

'The Hastings Auto repairs' was built brick by brick by his hard work, toil and countless hours sacrificed till it became the best motor repair shop in the whole town. People from all over the town came to him with their vehicle problems because they knew he was dependable, a reputation he built over the years. After he was done with school, Nathan refused college to the great grief of his parents before getting a job in one of the reputable garages in the city where he spent five years of his life mastering the craft and paying for the occasional courses he took up. When he felt he had saved enough, he returned to open a decent motor repair shop in their town. The first two years were very tough, with the existing ones not happy with the competition and regularly led to flare-ups with the cops being called in on few occasions. Gradually, as word about his skill and authentic service spread so did his business, with him never having to look back. Vanessa played no small role in the business rise to success. Seven years had gone by since then and the future of 'The Hastings Auto repairs' looked even promising. Recently, his father complimented him for his conviction and said that he was proud of Nathan.

Nathan pulled out of the parking lot and drove towards home, delaying it as much as possible. He knew delaying it would not make the encounter pass but make it even more dreadful, with his imagination running wild. No matter how long he delayed, he reached it sooner than he wanted to.

"Oh no," Nathan moaned as soon as he pulled up. Parked right behind his wife's car was the car that he hated seeing. It was a dull red Chevrolet which had nothing to do with his distaste, but rather who it belonged to - the Cummings.

"Well, at least I will have decent food today," he appeased his growling stomach and growing unease. Locking the car, he went in through the door taking note that his wife, Melanie and her mother Sarah were in the kitchen while Frank, his father in law was sitting on the sofa with Barnabas Kerman, their family lawyer. Nathan was surprised to see old Barny for it had been nearly two years when he last saw him and that wasn't a pleasant visit and Nathan was pretty sure that this time it wasn't either.

"Nathan. You are home," Frank exclaimed with joy. All types of alarms went off in Nathan's head, for in the two years he had been married to Melanie, Frank or Sarah was never happy to see him. His suspicions were confirmed right away when both Melanie and Sarah both poked out their heads from the kitchen at the mere mention of his name. Nathan couldn't remember the last time he had ever seen Sarah enter a kitchen other than to berate the cook and yet he was being continuously surprised today and he didn't like it even a bit. The feeling of foreboding engulfed him as every instinct prepared him for the blow that would come.

"Good that you are here. We have few things to talk about," Sarah stated.

"Let him wash up first. We can talk after dinner," Melanie interceded. Taking his chance, Nathan nodded in greeting before darting up the stairs to wash off the grime of him and gather his thoughts. He peeled off his clothes and tossed them in the hamper before proceeding to grab a towel and step into the bath. After a relaxing soak in the tub, he stepped out looking all pruny.

'What could be so important that they have their family lawyer present,' Nathan wondered. 'Is it what I think it is? Well, nevertheless should I turn dressed in the pyjamas or should I dress up for the occasion?' In the end, Nathan decided to go with a faded blue jeans and a collared blue t-shirt. When he was sure that he was presentable, Nathan went down the stairs and joined the others.

Melanie was busy setting up the table for the dinner while the rest sat in the sofa chatting - Sarah and Barnabas were debating about some supposed globally important cause while Frank sat in the middle playing the pacifier to his wife as always. Nathan decided it would be best to go help his wife rather than go into the living room and offend them with his 'ideology of the poor' for the Cummings have brought time and time again in every conversation the economic difference between them and him and how their daughter had married down. He and his wife finished in silence.

"Dinner is ready," Melanie called out to her parents. The three of them filed into the room, Sarah and Barnabas still engaged heatedly while Frank had drifted off to sniff in the aroma.

"What do you thin -" Sarah was about to ask his opinion when Nathan held up his hand.

"It doesn't affect me anyway," he replied while pulling out the chair from the head of the table.

"It is a bane to wealthy," Sarah remarked; a little miffed about being interrupted.

"Honey, the food smells delicious. Why bother with the troubles of the world in the presence of this heavenly spread," Frank interfered, trying to control the situation and keep it light-hearted.

Nathan understood the precarious slope he was in. Sarah's jibe about his class jolted him to comprehend the importance of where he should sit. His first choice was in a restaurant far away from him where he could enjoy a meal in peace but it looked like Melanie outdid herself. He wasn't going to go out and pay an exorbitant price to have dinner when he had such lovely smelling food right in front of him. He paused a second to survey where everyone was sitting. Sarah and Frank sat on side of the table while Barnabas sat at the foot. The head of the table and the chair to the right of Melanie was not taken. It was a no-brainer about where he should sit. Rather than sit at the head of the table with Sarah to his left, he pushed the chair back in and chose to sit between Barnabas and Melanie, facing Frank.

The dinner continued the same as the whole evening with Nathan barely getting a word edgewise in. Sarah and Melanie dominated the length of the conversation while Frank tried to draw in everybody. Barnabas busied himself with eating; nodding his head in agreement to whoever was interrupting his meal. After a few attempts of, Nathan only replied when he was specifically asked for his opinion. All in all, it was exactly as Nathan expected the dinner to be. The saving grace was that the food was as delicious it looked.

"Let the dishes be," Frank stated when Nathan started clearing the table. Barnabas, Sarah, and Melanie were already waiting for him in the living room. Frank grabbed the wine and few glasses and joined them in the living room. Nathan placed all the dishes in the sink before proceeding to join the others in the living room.

Frank had already poured the others a glass and was holding out Nathan's glass. Melanie sat between her parents on the sofa while Barnabas sat in the armchair on the other side leaving Nathan to sit in the other armchair. Nathan noticed immediately the briefcase at the foot of Barnabas and the papers peeking out of the file.

Nathan sipped in silence waiting for them to start. When they just sat there, sizing him up, Nathan couldn't take the suspense anymore. "What did you want to talk?" he asked.

"Son, we do know under what circumstances you both were married," Barnabas started. Nathan was amused at how he had been promoted from a 'ruffian' to his 'son' but let him continue. "But after being married for nearly two years, it is safe to surmise that this marriage is not working. In both of your best interests, it is better to terminate this marriage than continue this charade any longer." He paused a minute to let that sink in. When he didn't get any reaction from Nathan, he continued, "It is beneficial to both Melanie and you to do this out of court. All you have to do is file the papers and in six months both of you are free birds. So, what do you say about it?"

"So, you are filing in Melanie's stead," Nathan inquired.

"No. We are filing in your name and Melanie will sign the papers," Barnabas clarified.

Nathan refilled his glass and sipped on in silence, contemplating the consequences as the others waited for his reply. Melanie sat there stone-faced, looking at the papers Barnabas had placed on the table while the other waited expectantly for his answer.

"There is one small problem. I am not filing," Nathan replied.

The room fell silent as the elderly Cummings and Barnabas were nonplussed by his reply. A smirk laced Melanie's lips but her eyes remained firmly staring at the papers. It was a whole two minutes before they found their voices and as soon as they did they shook with ill-concealed rage.

"But you didn't want to stay married. Why won't you sign it?" Barnabas complained.

"You see Barny," Nathan continued, ignoring the grimace on Barnabas's face, "I had to sign a prenup drawn by you which stated that the person who files for divorce has to pay five million and the legal fees involved to their spouse. I don't have that kind of money because I belong to the working class and not affluent like you people. So, I cannot file for divorce even if I wanted to."

"How about if we just remove the prenup from the equation? Would you be willing to file then?" Barnabas offered.

"Then you wouldn't have any problem filing first," Nathan countered.

"How can we trust that you wouldn't go back on your word?" Barnabas asked.

"The same way I have to trust you wouldn't do the same" Nathan commented. The ensuing silence was long and awkward as both the sides realized the complete lack of trust. "We could," Nathan offered after some deliberation, "have a written agreement nullifying the prenup or something along those lines. That way both of us cannot use the prenup and I would be willing to file first."

"And let you steal our fortune," Sarah growled. Frank held her back and calmed her but it was clear he supported her statement.

"We cannot nullify the prenup like you ask for both of our interests," Barnabas explained calmly.

"Stop saying 'BOTH' when you clearly don't mean it," Nathan snarled. He was drained out of patience and energy. After a long day at the garage, he wanted to have a hot shower, a bite, and full night's sleep in that order. But here he was, being compelled to sign another document cheating him out of five million.

"Would you rather hash it out in court?" ridiculed Barnabas.

"With the prenup, I would take my chances," Nathan accepted.

"Son," Barnabas started ignoring the snort of derision, "I wrote up the prenup. I am pretty sure I can work my way around it. It wouldn't hurt that the Cummings are on first name basis with the judge. And also you seem to miss the small fact about how she is the homemaker. Do you seriously want to take your chances in court?" Barnabas questioned.

Nathan could see the thinly veiled threat as Barnabas tried to strong-arm him into signing the document. But Nathan knew the moment he filed, Barnabas would make him pay the five million and the legal fees. He was known for making verbal deals with his opposition and then throwing them under the bus. Nathan was not going to be another statistic. Nathan was seriously miffed with the threat.

"You have overstayed your welcome, sir," Nathan stated loudly. "If you would leave, I would like to turn in for the night as I have to go to work tomorrow."

"You cannot kick us out 'our' house," Frank smirked. "This house is a gift to Melanie from us. The title, however, is solely in our name."

It was Nathan's turn to be silenced for this was news to him. This time, however, the room was filled with snickers. Nathan reached for the wine, taking solace in the fact he paid for it. He sipped in silence as the rest watched him like a hawk, following his every move.

"Forget divorce, the marriage can be annulled on the basis that it hadn't been consummated in two years. No wonder that you aren't man enough," Sarah sneered.

"Your daughter warned that she will claim rape if I do touch her again," Nathan revealed. "And it is my mistake," Nathan exclaimed incredulously.

"Don't worry, now that Eric Sanders is back in town he could step to make an heir," Sarah continued ruthlessly taunting him. Nathan's eyebrows shot up in shock. "The clause about this being an open marriage will allow it; it won't be hurting the case but only you - your pride, dignity, and self-respect. Will your pride allow it?"

"Just file for divorce Nathan," Barnabas coaxed Nathan. "This will be over soon and neat for everyone. You get your life back. She gets her freedom back. Why hurt ourselves when we can resolve this peacefully."

"I would require some time to think this over," Nathan appealed.

"How long?" Barnabas inquired.

"I would like to sleep over it. How about tomorrow evening?" Nathan asked.

"Sounds okay," Barnabas accepted. "So I expect you to sign the papers and give it to Melanie."

"Sure," Nathan drawled.

The Cummings rose to their feet flaunting smug smiles. Barnabas left the papers on the table and gathered his belongings. Melanie, who had been studiously avoiding everyone's eyes, also rose to her feet and ushered the trio out of the door. Nathan didn't bother, not caring if it was impolite for if he chooses to sign the papers, it wouldn't be his problem for long. He just sat there twirling his drink around, thinking how had he landed in this mess of a marriage.

"I am off to bed," Melanie stated before going up the stairs. Nathan sat there looking at her comely figure climbing the stairs to her bedroom, wondering how she could just go to sleep after sitting through that. He had half a mind to confront her, maybe even wring her neck a little. He quickly dismissed the thoughts for it would hurt him more than provide a resolution.

"How could she expect children when her daughter doesn't even let me sleep in the same room?" Nathan muttered to himself as he proceeded to polish off the bottle. Long after Melanie had gone to bed, Nathan still sat there mulling things over and over. When he realized that the bottle was empty, he gave up and went to bed in his room.

The air was filled with the chirping of birds and tinkling of bells as children rode down the streets in their cycles. It mattered not to Nathan how much joy surrounded him for he felt the effects of overindulging, the earlier night. Shuffling along to perform the mundane tasks of the day, Nathan was awake but had still not joined the land of the living. After few cups of coffee and an aspirin, he felt better enough to go to work. Melanie was not up yet which suited Nathan; he wasn't ready to deal with her right now. Grabbing the offensive papers on the table, he left for work.

"Wow, you are here before me," Vanessa exclaimed. "What's the matter, boss?" she inquired.

"That bad, huh," she remarked when Nathan just stared at her without choosing to reply.

Nathan just gave her a weak smile and shrugged his shoulders in nonchalance. "Have a hell of a hangover. Don't worry, give me time and I will be fine," Nathan responded.

"What was the occasion?" Vanessa pushed.

"The in-laws were over," Nathan smiled dryly.

"Yikes."

Her response made Nathan chuckle. His body though didn't accept his joy as his head throbbed anew with each chuckle making him stop right away. Holding his head Nathan continued smiling.

"Nothing I couldn't handle," he comforted Vanessa. "I don't pay you to be my nurse anyway. You are paid to handle my business which I don't see you doing from the time you walked in" Nathan admonished. Vanessa stuck her tongue at him as she left the office with an exaggerated sway to her hips. Nathan watched her till she left his office then tried to get back to work with a shrug.

The rest of the day was a blur to Nathan, as he went through the motions. His mind went back from time to time to yesterday's night. He had to make a decision by tonight. He knew that if he didn't give in, the Cummings would go through with all their threats and even more. But unlike them, he wasn't handed with the family fortune; he had earned it fair and square from scratch. No matter how many times they guaranteed him that they wouldn't ask for the five million, he knew they would just to inflict his pain and gratify their pride. With a payout like that, he would be seriously handicapped and will have to build his way up again. It repulsed him how they were willing to take his money even though they constantly looked down on him and his profession.

12