Dragon (S)Layers Ch. 26

Story Info
Volume 4 Chapter 2.
3.2k words
4.74
5.7k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Volume 4: Dereliction of Duty

Chapter II: Old Roads

Sarah scraped herself off the floor of the carriage, reclaiming her seat by the window with a muzzy wariness that carried over from sleep into awareness. Around a deep yawn, she managed to ask for some water which got her a blank stare from the two sitting in the opposite bench. The small elf and the smaller kobold were an odd pair, but their mirrored look of disbelief and confusion somehow made them look like siblings.

It was enough to make Sarah chuckle. Gods it felt good to laugh. "Where are we?"

"I don't know," Tessarie said anxiously. "Caldion said something about a village called Laleah?"

That was right. She barely remembered having given those directions, but now it made sense. Sarah kicked her feet up on the bench and rubbed her eyes. "Capital." After finding her glasses and setting them on the end of her nose she leaned deeper into her corner trying to find a comfortable leaning position that would favor her shoulder. It was still sore despite Keiter's healing and she, soft from years of a life of comfort, had become entirely too susceptible, even minor aches.

It seemed that it wasn't just her endurance that had waned over the past couple of decades. How uncouth. It wouldn't matter much once they got to Laleah, of course, but maybe she could get back into shape- farm villages always needed some kind of help. Yes, that was it; a little time in front of a forge wouldn't hurt anything.

That was, of course, once they were safe. Yes, they'd spend a little time in Laleah, she'd make the arrangements necessary to see to it everyone was taken care of. Then she'd get back on track with her original plan, maybe head to the south plains for a while. The others could fend for themselves- Tessarie would need help getting back to elven lands and Caldion. . .

Well, Caldion was a paladin. He was probably used to doing whatever compelled him. So long as it didn't include Sarah, she couldn't have cared less; attachments like this were a death sentence, especially the paladin. But what about Keiter?

Sarah massaged her temples, eying the little kobold from her periphery. He wouldn't last a minute in the wilds, even if they could find a tribe of the reptilian creatures that wouldn't kill them on sight for trespassing, he didn't speak their language and the idea of his delivering Isira's message of pleasure and warmth? Preposterous. He may as well have been proselytizing to humans- which he had been doing for years now anyway. . . "Hmph."

As if she'd sensed an opportunity to grab Sarah's attention, Tessarie leaned forward. She spoke in elven, probably assuming Keiter would have no idea what was being said. Sarah didn't have the heart to break that illusion. "We're heading to a human city, aren't we? What about your-" she pinched the tip of her tongue between her lips, looking at Sarah apologetically. "Friend? They will kill us all for traveling with him-"

Sarah cut her off with a pleasant smile that didn't touch her eyes. Keiter had turned his attention to the conversation but, as usual, said nothing to suggest he understood what was being said. Maybe it was part of his nature to be so obtuse, Sarah had never understood why he acted that way. "I think you discount the value of good friends, my dear girl. I would no sooner abandon him than I would my own god."

That earned a poignant look from the kobold. She knew better than continue down that line of lies, so she took the girl's cheeks in her hands, smiling gently. "Trust me."

A flicker of doubt sparked deep in the young elf's eyes, as it rightly should have, but she gave a weak smile all the same. "I do."

"Good girl. Now, then!" She drew back. "We'll get to Laleah and I'll have a talk with an old friend of mine there, we'll do our best to make sure everyone's comfortable and then. . ." With a satisfying 'plonk' Sarah kicked her boot against the carriage floor, crossed her legs and stretched long and languid. It was as much to emphasize her generous curves as it was to pop her aching muscles and bones- the concept of winning minds and hearts was, after all, a multi-faceted proposition. "Then we'll get everyone where they want to be." When she found her seat again, she was the focus of her companion's attention. There was a very subtle acknowledgment to them that made Sarah smile all the brighter.

They weren't wrong to believe in her. She'd saved their lives, gotten them out of the city and had ensured everyone had enough money to retire on in one night.

They might have been foolish.

But not wrong.

#

The coach lurched to a stop on a slight incline several hours later- hours that had been filled with mindless silence and a certain sense of growing dread that things might not turn out as they should have. Sarah had done her best to distract herself by reading one of the books left behind by the noble who's carriage she'd 'borrowed' but soon gave up when she realized it was going to be a treatise on why elves had no business intermingling with humans. Disguised as an educational primer on market forces, no less. How droll.

Caldion disembarked from the carriage a few moments later and slapped the side of the compartment. "We're stopping for a bit." He said as if it was a foregone conclusion, and then disappeared into the brush along the road. Tessarie jumped from her seat to stretch out, Keiter followed behind by a few seconds and Sarah, almost reluctantly, made her way out.

Sarah eyed the stretch of road behind them and the one in front- both were remarkably open and easy to watch for approach, but still the fine hairs on her neck stood at rigid attention. "Pray tell, why are we stopping now?"

"The horses are tired," came the terse reply. The young man stepped out of the bush adjusting his belt as he made his way towards the animals, ignoring Sarah's quizzical expression. He spent some time cleaning them up from what Sarah could see, washing blood splatters from their manes that even she hadn't noticed in their escape. He used spit and elbow grease, pampering the animals with a particular fondness that actually impressed her. What was more impressive was that the hoses actually seemed to enjoy the attention. Maybe it was because they were stopped.

Keiter wandered over to the edge of the woods and leaned against a tree, for just a moment looking like he was going to go to the bathroom but instead he hung his head against the bark and went still. Tessarie disappeared gods only knew where leaving Sarah nothing to do but pace back and forth to stretch her legs.

Provided the good Mayor Harris hadn't gotten himself into trouble with Sorash's nobility, Sarah would have full access to the caravan coaster upon arrival. All they had to do was be discrete and everything would be fine. . . Just like she'd planned for.

It was actually rather surprising how well her plans had come to fruition after a rocky, some might say chaotic start, but the core plan was still perfectly in motion. Sarah had to smile at that. Decades may have softened her body, but they hadn't robbed her of her faculties. Except one little problem.

They had no food.

She wasn't the only one who was hungry, she couldn't have been. Hungry and thirsty, a terrible state of affairs no matter what situation they were in. Sarah rifled through the luggage compartment and despite finding a beautiful dress that would have fit her a lifetime ago, came out with nothing useful to their current situation. She leaned against the side of the coach, muttering a curse in Sphinx.

Tessarie emerged from the woods ahead of them a couple of minutes later with a bundle wrapped up in her cloak and, Sarah noticed, a couple of feet of material torn from the bottom of her dress. It wasn't dragging on the ground and fit more or less, except for where it hung from her body, leaving a shoulder exposed- it had been sewn for a human woman, not a tiny elf. Sarah quietly vowed to find a real tailor once they were in Laleah.

"What have we here, then?" Sarah started. Tessarie was grinning ear to ear, already unwrapping her prize as she bounded over.

"Food!"

Sarah's stomach grumbled at the mention and she smiled. "Capital! Let's see what-" she stopped mid sentence when the girl showed off a load of leaves, berries and. . . were those grubs? Worms?! Sarah looked away suddenly feeling queasy. Tess frowned. "I- ah-" The half-elf swallowed back on a wave of weakness. "Good. Good, dear. . . Perhaps later, hm?"

"Come on, you have to eat something." She scooped up a hand full of berries and thrust them towards Sarah. "Here, try some."

Careful to keep from looking at the rest of the 'meal', Sarah eyed the berries. They certainly looked edible, all polished and green beside a bundle of black ones. Sarah carefully plucked one, rolling it around in her finger tips. "Like little marbles, aren't they?"

"What's a marble?"

A glint of movement from her right. Sarah looked up to see Caldion making a grab for her. She pitched to the side, still not sure what was going on, acting on instinct. She grabbed for her pistol but he was just that much faster and in a second he had her by the wrist. He turned her hand over even as she scrambled for her flintlock with her offhand. "Unhand me!"

He did.

Off balance from the surprise she tumbled towards the dirt, on her way down she saw him holding one of the green berries in front of Tess. It happened in the space of a second, but her subconscious mind made sense of it even if she hadn't consciously done so- there was something wrong with them. Sarah laid there painfully, looking up at the two. No one offered her a hand.

How uncouth.

"They're poisonous. Have you eaten any?" He was saying to the elf. When she shook her head, he went on. "See the orange line through them? Always, always, always check before you pick green berries. . ."

"Chaming, dear. . ." Sarah grumbled as she got to her feet. The sooner they got where they were going, the better. "Let's be off, yes? The horses can rest when we're in the city." She dusted herself down. "Keiter! We're heading out!" At Caldion's dubious glance, she forced a smile. "We don't want to be on the trail when nightfalls, now do we?"

"No." He glanced back up the road. "Guess not. . . You better put it in the lock box."

"It?" Sarah asked but quickly caught on to the reference. "Keiter is twice the man most would aspire to be, dear and he will ride wherever he pleases. Isn't that right?" She turned to see the kobold looking up at her with that unreadable reptilian gaze that said she would probably never understand him fully. He didn't acknowledge anyone as he climbed up into the coach and took to Sarah's bench. When she glanced his way again he stared at her. "Tess, dear, excuse us a moment?"

"Ah- sure. . ."

When Tess was safely tucked away, Sarah took the young man up the road a bit. Before she could even open her mouth to speak, he preempted her- "Do you pull that thing on everyone who tries to help you out or am I special case?"

"After the day we've had, you're surprised one might be a little, on edge? Don't tell me I've overestimated you, dear."

A muscle in his jaw clenched. "You're the reason I'm here in the first place, so I don't want to hear it."

"No," Sarah held up a finger. "Poor timing, luck and. . . Providence lead you into my arms, but surely it's not been all for the worse? You get to serve out your purpose-" he snorted. "You disagree? Dear, you saved that girl's life! You're a hero-"

"Shut up, Sarah. If not for her, I'd have taken you in myself. And once we get to this village, I'm going to see to it you get put on trial for impersonating a noble."

"Now see here, young man!"

He was already turning away. "You were right about Sorash," he continued on heedless to her vain attempts to stop him. "But that doesn't excuse your behavior."

Was he serious? After everything, he was going to just throw her to the wolves? "I had sincerely thought better of you than that, dear boy. You'll remember I saved your life-"

"Which is why I'm going to testify on your behalf." He climbed aboard, took up the reigns. "Get in."

Sarah stared at him until he was forced to meet her gaze. Two could play childish games. "What happened to the charming, couth young man who nearly swept me off my feet in the temple, hm? Don't tell me you're already giving up the mask of professional inquisitor for hire?"

He watched her for a moment. A tiny sigh passed his lips, Sarah almost missed it. "I'm a paladin, Sarah. Whatever you think you know about me, you can put it in a box, wrap it in chains and kick it off the road. It's not going to change the fact that you need to be-"

"Yes, yes, dear. . . But let's look at his objectively! If you think for a moment you're going to try me for crimes you have no evidence of out here, you're sorely mistaken! I-" That was when he produced a bundle of letters. Her heart sank. She took them, already knowing what it meant- gods knew she'd seen enough of them. A letter of marque, a bundle of warrants. . .

Where was hers?

"This isn't helping your case dear. In fact, I'm fairly certain I can help you find some of these people- especially this one. Markin? He's the man who forged- my trade permit! Yes, my trade permit for peddling the Great Engineer's services."

"You're a priest?"

"A cleric." She corrected, handing his documents back. He was looking at her oddly. "What, do I have something on my face? Oh, come now, I'm-"

"This is where I get off then, because a world in which a person like you can be elevated tells me there's no hope for any of us."

"Tch, if you've waited this long then surely you've been saving yourself for something special. I'd be honored if I thought for a moment you'd relax yourself enough to do so! Never the less, the fact remains that this silly bickering is hardly worth either of our time! We've made some mistakes, one of us more than the other, but for the grace of the gods, the other got us all out of the city without irons on." She held her hand out and circled her wrist with her other hand. "I dare say they might be a good fit for a paladin, but hardly fa-"

"Do you ever shut up?"

Sarah hooked her thumbs in her waistline. "Are you always this rude?"

"You nearly got me killed, then you lied to me and continued to lie to me- you consort with dragons their ilk. That poor woman in there has no idea what you've gotten her into and I'm going to see to it she's not killed for her ignorance. Neither am I for that matter."

Tess poked her head out, "I'm not deaf, you know!"

"Sorry, miss. . ."

"See, that's more like it. Civility, even in times of crisis is a sign of character."

"Get in, Sarah.." The young man picked up the reigns again, "or don't. It's only a few leagues."

"You wouldn't leave a woman stranded on the road alone-" Caldion was already urging the horses on. "Hey!" She barely managed to grab the side rail before the coach started up the incline. Even as she crawled aboard, she knew she was not going to enjoy this boy's company.

#

They rolled into the outer farms of Laleah some hours later just as the sun was beginning to set. Throughout the entire trip, nothing she could do eased Keiter's spirits and he laid across her lap like a sleeping child through every bump. She couldn't blame him, but how did she even begin to comfort her friend when he'd witnessed his entire congregation lay down their lives for him:? It may have been because of the goddess's appearance, but still, the act was horrifyingly beautiful in its irony.

A black rose by any other name. He had survived so he could spread the word, her friend was still in her life. That was all that mattered. Sarah hugged him close as best she could, earning an uneasy look from Tess. Sarah smiled as best she could. "When we get to the village, I'll talk to-"

They stopped. Horses were plodding towards them. A man shouted 'woe there!'

Both of the elven blooded women looked at one another. "Be still, my friend," Sarah said an instant before she bundled Keiter up in her arms and grabbed her coat, wrapping him up in its folds. For his part in it, he held still as a corpse while Sarah packed him into the corner and piled up some of the other clothes and her strong box in an attempt to hide him.

Torchlight flickered over the inside of the carriage, Tess hugged up into her corner and Sarah did her best to look casual, covered in dirt and grime as she was. Then she heard a familiar voice. Gruff and heavy with self importance. Sheriff Cosnu, shouted out at Caldion. "State yer business, stranger!"

"Son of a bitch." Sarah exhaled. This was not going to go well no matter who got the first word in, but if she could turn things to her favor. . .

This was suicide.

It was also necessary.

She licked her lips. What was there to loose? If nothing else, she could postpone whatever 'trial' the boy had in mind and she could get in touch with the mayor that much sooner. This was not going to be pleasant. She poked her head out in time to see the man and his posse strolling towards the carriage. "My, my! I go looking for friendly faces and whom should I be blessed with but a siren's call in an otherwise dreary storm!"

"Oh gods. . ." The sheriff's shoulders sagged visibly. "You."

Sarah grinned. "I believe the correct protocol would be to greet the fair lady and see her on her way to the Mayor's manor, is it not?"

That seemed to sober him up. He looked at her oddly. "You aint heard? Mayor's been killed."

Sarah's heart clenched. "Y- You're serious?"

Caldion piped in, "Sheriff? Can you show us to your cells? I've got a criminal to move in."

It really was shaping up to be a terrible week.