Duplicity Ch. 04

Story Info
Where Lady Evelyn is in peril!
13.6k words
4.8
46.8k
32

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 12/14/2022
Created 11/20/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wws_wws
wws_wws
168 Followers

Jeffrey the footman brought in tea, then went to close all the window shutters in the Warwick's front parlor to ward off the rain that had started to fall. He stroked the fire in the fireplace a bit then bowed to the two ladies who occupied the room before he quickly retreated.

Lady Ann was a picture of serene elegance as she poured the tea. Beneath her cool exterior her stomach clenched and her mind raced. The tea and biscuits did not wash away the bitter bile in her throat. Still she gave away none of her inner turmoil as she petted Lady Evelyn, who leaned upon her so exhausted, and so distressed and so trusting.

Beautiful, young, mysterious and now weary, Lady Evelyn. Ann was objective enough to know that her own fading looks could not compare to Evelyn's alluring freshness. The young woman was simply perfection and it wouldn't be hard for a man to lose himself in the deep pools of Evelyn's sapphire-blue eyes. Ann was hard pressed to believe that there might be intelligence there too. Afterall, Ann thought to herself, if she had been Lady Evelyn, she might wonder why, after ignoring her as the rest of the blue-blooded ladies had done, Lady Ann was suddenly offering her friendship. Perhaps Evelyn may even ask, what Ann's motivation might be as no one amongst this lot ever did anything without purpose. If Ann were Evelyn then she would have guessed that a sudden offer of friendship usually hides a deeper motive. As Ann carefully studied Evelyn's beautiful, sweet face, there wasn't a trace of suspicion behind those wide-set sapphire eyes.

So as the two ladies sat, shared tea and talked, Evelyn did not suspect at all that every time the name of Lord Davenport passed her perfectly shaped lips, her new friend dug her sharp nails into the palm of her hand. There was no way Evelyn could know that what she was telling Lady Ann were like icy blades slicing into the older woman's heart .

"Perhaps," said Lady Ann, "perhaps in time, you may come to find that marriage to Lord Davenport, or to any man truly, is endless days of monotony. It may not be nearly as devastating or as thrilling as it all seems now. Think back to all the marriages you've observed and you will know that I speak truthfully."

"I can't say that I've ever truly observed a marriage," Evelyn blurred out, then hurriedly snapped her lips shut.

An uncomfortable silence fell between the two ladies. Ann wanted so very much to press Evelyn to say more about her life before, yet Ann's intuition told her to stamp down her curiosity.

"She must learn to trust me, rely on me. All in due time, she won't have a single secret or private thought that I will not be privy to," Ann thought to herself. "I just need to be patient."

"I cannot imagine how life could ever be monotonous with Lord Davenport," Evelyn was saying, her eyes glowing, and looked off towards some distant memory. "I cannot imagine life with him at all. Ohh.... I fear him. I dread him, yet I cannot stamp him from my mind. He behaved most outrageously towards me.... The things he said.... I should not give him another thought at all... Yet--!"

"--Your heart races and you feel giddy just thinking of how his lips felt against your skin," Lady Ann concluded for her.

Evelyn dropped her face into her outstretched hands in shame. "Oh yes! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God, why have you made women so weak that our good judgment could be so compromised by the sight of a tall, beautiful man? I have always resented such female weakness in the penny dreadful romances. Now here I am, stepping into just such a role that I abhor."

The rain outside beat a rapid tempo against the shutters, in tune with Ann's rapid heartbeat.

"So he's kissed you?" Ann finally asked her voice barely above a whisper.

Evelyn reluctantly nodded, thinking the good Lady Ann must be shocked by the confession. But Lady Ann merely topped off Evelyn's tea cup with a reassuring smile. Once the words started flowing, it all came tumbling out and with each breath, Evelyn felt lighter and lighter till her weariness bordered on being tolerable.

Lady Ann's eyes gleamed brightly as she forced past her own emotions to offer a comforting smile. "You poor, dear girl! The fault lies not with you but in part with your youth and inexperience. A few more Seasons and you'll learn that all men are cads! No, no! You mustn't think you're at fault. Men, like his lordship, so use to having any earthly desire granted without pause, will often make a sport of young women's virtues. It is our feminine duty to guard against their advances for often we mistake their attention for love. Women are such feeble, such trusting creatures that we would happily allow our hearts to override our good judgment."

Evelyn grimaced and she touched the edge of Lady Ann's handkerchief to the tears streaming from her eyes again. "Then he has done this with others?"

Ann inclined her head to one side, slightly, reluctantly. It was somewhere between a nod and a shake that paused midway. "I have no personal knowledge and would not think to slander his lordship. But--"

"But?" Evelyn urged.

"Well, one does tend to... hears things...." Ann allowed her voice to trail off as though she was speaking to herself. Then she quickly shook her head. "But one must not give credence to ideal gossip--"

"Where there is smoke, there must be fire," Evelyn insisted. "Oh how foolish of me! Of course there must have been many others."

"I speak in general terms," Ann replied carefully. She would not be safe if Lord Davenport ever learn of this slanderous conversation. Especially when Lord Davenport wasn't known to seduce any innocent girl before. "For a man, with such power and influence as he to have reached his majority without a wife---. Well he tends to develop tastes and habits that may be unusual for a young thing like you."

"I can't bring myself to think of it!" Evelyn confessed miserably.

"Some men will and do tame their wildness once they are married," Ann assured her.

Two great droplets of tears rolled down the corner of her gleaming eyes, not out of sadness but out of remembrance of how HE had touched her.... Unconsciously, Evelyn's soft pink lips parted and she ran her tongue along the edge of her bottom lip as her face flushed at the memory. What lies within the confines of the marriage bed? she wondered. If it was anything like what she experienced in her carriage the previous night....! She swallowed tightly.

"Be wise my sweet child," said Ann, interrupting her train of thoughts. "I feel your distress, but think a moment. Could you possibly break a marriage contract without bringing down the wrath of all involved? Including your guardian, a gentleman to be reckoned with, I'm sure, if he managed such a match for you. Now think on this. Most men of his ilk will tire of his wife within a year or two of marriage, after the children arrives. There will be mistresses aplenty to fulfill his baser desires and you will be free to come and go as you like."

The rosy color drained from Evelyn's face as her lower lip trembled. "He cannot--- there's the Lord's commandments that forbids---!" Her voice broke and faded.

Clearly the image of Lord John in flagrante delicto with another woman distressed Evelyn, Ann noted with interest. So the whole desire for escape was nothing more than some theatrical, self-deceiving attempt to fight her own feelings, Ann surmised.

"The theatrics of the virginal ingénue!" Ann thought disdainfully even as she continued to gently comfort Evelyn.

*********************************** From where he stood, Jeffrey, the footman, would hear their words clearly. He had carefully left the door of the parlor ajar just a bit after bringing their refreshments, that left ample space for him to hear all that passed between the ladies. Now he waited, his tall, thin, wiry frame completely still, with bated breath for Lady Evelyn to reveal something of the Prince's visit earlier. All the female servants below stairs were in a state since the royal carriage came and went that morning. They were sure to give him quite the treat if he could return with some bits of news. How fortunate that the Baroness arrived so shortly after the Prince's departure, for if there's one thing Jeffrey counted on, it was the feminine love for tittle-tattle.

Jeffrey could just make out the Baroness's regal profile through the crack in the door. He loved to catch a glimpse of the great lady whenever she visited the Warwick's home. She always brought with her a waft of jasmine scent and an air of sophistication.

At one point, he felt sure that Lady Ann looked right at him leaning against the crack in the doorway, and even offered him a small wink and a secretive smile. She knew he was there! And she wasn't about to give him away! Jeffrey grinned widely. Perhaps her ladyship had taken a liking to him as well. Young Miss Mary, his mistress's sister had certainly been quite willing, one several occasions now, to give him her favors.

Soon the news of Lady Evelyn's "secret" betrothal traveled below stairs. To the Marquis of Davenport! Jeffrey, the footman had whispered what he overheard to a passing scullery maid who ran downstairs to tell Cook, who in turn went out the servants door and spoke to her sister, the ladies' maid next door who in turn went and told her mistress. The original curiosity of Prince Edward's visit had been momentarily forgotten.

The rain had turned to just a drizzle made more miserable by the chilly winds that blew, but that did not impede the speed with which gossip travels.

When the Baroness finally decided to take her leave, the news had already reached down the avenue and spreading even further. As it were, several servants had gathered just beyond the door of the Warwick's parlor with beaming faces and bobbed curtseys when Evelyn and her new finally emerged Both ladies hardly noticed at first, as they spoke a few soft words to each other

"Best wishes for your happy news my Lady!" one of downstairs maid suddenly blurted out." I think you'll make a most beautiful bride! Much prettier than the Princess of Wales, I'm sure!"

Both genteel ladies stopped in their tracks and whirled around, towards the girl said.

"What happy news? What do you speak of?" Ann asked quickly and sternly.

"Lady Evelyn's engagement of course!" the flushed faced servant blustered as she darted her panicked eyes back from one great lady to the other, suddenly realizing that she may have spoken out of turn. "To the Marquis of Davenport! I'm wishing you a lifetime of happiness my lady, to his lordship--"

"How--! Who did you hear this from?" Evelyn demanded. All the color drained from her face then rushed back to color her bright red to the roots of her hair. The other servants read the situation quickly and correctly and scattered.

Lady Ann quickly placed her hands gently on Evelyn's shoulders to turn her away from the frightened servant girl. "Clearly our conversation was overheard. One must remember in quarters such as these, the walls tend to have eyes and ear." She turned towards to the red-faced, flustered maid. "Your mistress has been remiss in your training. Tell me, did you hear this from your footman or butler?"

The frightened maid's face turned several shades of red. "I mean no harm ma'am!" the maid cried out, but bowed her head under Lady Ann's stern warning look. "It was the footman mi'lady."

"There, you see!" said Ann to a flustered Evelyn. "Now you know to be on your guard around these two for their loose lips."

"But I wasn't!" the maid protested. "Honest! Jeffrey overheard you --. We were all so pleased for you---. I beg your pardon! I only meant to express--"

"By now the news is halfway across London," Lady Ann predicted as she linked her arms through Evelyn's and headed for the front door. "I'm afraid I must go, but prepare yourself child, for the well-wishers and the curious seekers."

"I cannot face it!" Evelyn cried miserably with both misery and exhaustion. She allowed Lady Ann to hold her up. "Not even a day... I wasn't given just a day to prepare myself. Once it is known there will be no getting out of this marriage contract without scandal and disgrace, will there?"

"Chin up!" Ann commanded cheerfully. "Rarely do our plans succeed when God intend otherwise. We may yet devise a plan to your dilemma, or at least prepare your trousseau. I must confess, that I am surprised at your guardian for arranging such a match in such a manner. We are living in an enlightened age past the days of forced marriages. Who but the king has the power to command such a thing of his own children?."

Evelyn returned to her room, without a glance towards Jeffrey who bowed low to her as she passed. How she despised that thin young man with the narrow face. His eyes were handsome enough but she thought him too sly the way he always looked lustfully at the young ladies of the household whenever he thought no one saw. Evelyn thought she imagined it but a few times, she could have sworn she saw Mary in some dark alcove with him, standing too closely. She must think of that now, but she will take care not to speak when he was near! ***********************************

Lady Ann returned home, tossed aside her wet things and immediately retired to her bedchambers. Sprawled across her chaise in an alcove, a handsome, auburn-haired, young man awaited he. He was dressed only in a ruffled silk shirt, brocade blue trousers with a matching brocade blue frock coat tossed carelessly across the back of the chaise. He had been staring up at dancing shadows cast by two tall candelabras that stood on either side of the chaise, lost in thought.

"Have you been waiting long, Henry?" Lady Ann said with a flirtatious smile as she glided over to him, a vision of honey-color curls, pale coral pink skin in yards of pale green taffeta.

The corners of Henry's wide-set green eyes crinkled as he smiled up at her. "Ah, but I expect that you have a delicious tale to tell," he replied with a mischievous curl of his thick lips.

Ann allowed him to take her hands and lightly kiss each of her fingers for a moment before combing her fingers through his thick, auburn curls.

"That I have," she replied, sitting down on the edge of the chaise with him. She moaned softly when he leaned forward and nuzzled into her ample cleaved and deftly unlaced her bodice. Her large, dark nipples bounced slightly and popped out over the top of her corset. The dress soon discarded into a pool of pale green taffeta of her feet. She pushed her shoes off.

"Tell me," he said finally, over the peak of a nipple.

"It seemed I picked an opportune time as our ingénue was in desperate need of a friend. She gladly unburdened some interesting news to me."

"What did she reveal to you? What juicy morsel of gossip can we use against her?" he asked just before taking the nipple lightly between his lips, making her gasp.

Ann released her pinned up hair into a tumble of golden, honey colored waves over them. Her hooded eyelids fluttered, when he returned his attention to her hands and sucked two of her taper fingers into his mouth, caressing the soft flesh there with his hot-wet tongue. He had such an eager tongue. She fell gracefully forward into his arms and allowed him to unhooked her undergarments, as he blew on her earlobe ever so slightly. Ann closed her eyes and forced herself not to think on how feminine and soft Henry's hands felt. She tried not to think of a set of longer, more muscular arms, a broader chest and more expert hands.

"She is engaged to be married --to none other than our dear friend Lord Davenport!" she said woodenly

"Marriage?," Henry replied sardonically with a light chuckle. "Didn't think he went for that sort of thing. And to Lady Evelyn you say? That surprises me though I suppose it oughn't. I suppose he charmed her till she couldn't refuse him?"

"He's a proficient hunter," she agreed pulling back slightly to rid herself of the rest of her heavy undergarments until just her stockings and garter remained. "But charm had nothing to do with it as she tells it."

Henry licked his lips as grabbed a handful of her silky, thick dimpled. Henry teased the slightly saggy skin there before slapping her rounded rump. He wondered how long before the ravages of time fully claimed her hour glass shape. Lady Ann was still a great beauty, but there were already clear signs of her age in the thin lines across her forehead and down either side of her thinning lips. No doubt she fought a valiant battle again those lines with all the bottles of lotions and potions spread liberally across her vanity. Henry enjoyed the favors of a woman exceeding him in age. They tend to be so eager and grateful, he found.

"It seems he's not yet aware of his own good fortune," Ann was saying, completely unaware of Henry's line of thoughts. "Lady Evelyn's mysterious guardian had negotiated a marriage contract with Lord Davenport's father, the Duke."

"How antiquated," Henry murmured against her hair. "Though I must confess that such an arrangement is most appealing to me. Just have my father and mother select the bride and be done with the whole affair. The whole notion of a courtship, where one has to be poetic and gallant, it's so... tedious and common!"

Ann chuckled at that as she snuggled into his embrace. "Well women do like to be romanced if even just a little. I dare say the poor little thing was quite devastated by the notion of being thrown into matrimony. She's merely conflicted of course. Behind all that fussy reluctant I'm sure she is merely just being coy."

Henry had rolled her beneath him on the chaise and settled himself between her stocking clad thighs. He paused for a moment in his intended purpose and leaned back a bit.

"So, John Mallory you say?" he asked with genuine surprise as the new sunk in.

Ann smiled slyly. "I dare you to be so familiar to his face!"

"I wouldn't dare," Henry answered back humorously. "Will you tell on me? But in all seriousness I didn't think him the sort to settle into domestic tranquility."

"Lord Davenport is a man full of surprises," Ann replied with contempt..

"But I suppose if the lady is as beautiful as Lady Evelyn, who could blame the chap? She is quite breath-taking I must say. I've never encountered such beauty and grace-- "

Lady Ann's whole body stiffened.

"With the exception of you my lady, of course" Henry corrected himself quickly and moved up her body again. "Your beauty is beyond compare. Davenport is a fool---"

She raise up on her elbows and raised a naked foot to his chest, firmly pushing him back. "I know what you meant!" she cut him off sharply. "My lord Davenport was quite taken with her, but this turn of events comes at no effort from his part as I've told you. Had there not been any outside intervention, I would imagine he would have dropped to a knee to her before too long. Your sex will often lose your senses over a fresh skirt. Though I suppose you all cannot be faulted for your weakness. It's how God made you."

"So will that be the end then?" Henry chuckled as he continued as he slyly took advantage of her propped up leg to finger her soft, mound below. "Our scheming put to an end before we've launched ourselves? They'll simply marry, spend most of the year in the country and make each other as miserable as the rest of the matrimonially tied lot."

Ann eased the tension in her extended leg and allowed him to come closer "Oh but there's fun to be had there too! One often grow weary of the monotony of marriage. One may and often do look elsewhere for satisfaction. I know something about that, after all. All the best country estates are fraught with intrigue of that sort. Marriage are rarely happy and it is often times just a brief pause in a story!"

wws_wws
wws_wws
168 Followers