Duplicity Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His reply was casual and he didn't bother to open his eyes. "Hmm? Or my rambunctious childhood. Who remembers?"

"Some of these appear fresher than others and - so, so -deep and brutal!" she observed with a shudder. "I didn't think you had any imperfections."

His eyes remained shut but a corner of his lips curled up. "That'll change soon enough."

"Not physically," she replied with a bashful, adoring smile as she continued to run her fingers, over his body.

He merely uttered a "Hmm" and remained still.

Evelyn heard the chirping bird again. She still made no move to go though she knew she ought to. With her whole heart she wished that this night would never end. Everything's changed between them now. Yet a part of her feared that should she leave him, come morning, he'd return to his cold, cruel self.

"Will it always be like this? Between us I mean?"

"I certainly hope not!" he said with feigned horror. He yawned loudly, stretched out his arms then propped up on one elbow. "There won't be much left of me within a month," he said through another yawn as he raked his free hand through his tousled hair.

He reached for her face and ran the pad of his thumb over her lower lip. He eagerly scrutinized her expression when he pressed down to part her lips. On reflex Evelyn darted her tongue around his thumb and beckoned it into her hot little mouth. Her silky tongue caressing his digit, elicited a deep moan from him. He pulled his thumb from her mouth with a pop with a regretful sigh.

"Never mind," he said, at her surprised look. "I wonder, what sort of life did you have? Before I mean? Where did you live? What sort of company did you keep?"

"My lord?"

"I want to know about you."

It wasn't a question Evelyn had expected. "I suppose I had an ordinary upbringing," she started. "For many years it was just Edward and I with our tutors and governesses and servants of course. We wanted for nothing."

"Were you treated well?"

Evelyn laid her head against his chest and twirled the short dark hairs there between her fingers, while he stroked her hair from above. "I thought of our old cook just now."

"Tell me."

"She was a pitiful thing. She was such an ugly old thing that everyone said it was a blessing her husband was blind or he would surely run from her in terror. But he loved her so dearly. He sat in the kitchen while she worked and they would talk and laugh for hours. Years later I learned that he wasn't always blind. He once made very good sketches and watercolors. Cook showed me some sketches he drew of her. She was just as ugly, flat-nosed and stout in those sketched as she appeared in life. So you see, he knew what she looked like and still he loved her. Lately, my thoughts often return to them - how happy they were. If I should be half as happy, I think- I think that would be so lovely."

Lord Davenport felt a strange tightness in his chest as he listened to her story. She didn't see his dark scowl or how his Adam's' Apple Bob in his throat.

"Then it's a pity you're not her," he said evenly. '

"Sir?"

"If only you were ugly and stout then you might have found yourself a blind beggar and you would have been happy in abject poverty too."

"You're teasing me again!" she said with an uncertain smile as she looked up at his face.

He leaned back and scrutinized her beneath an arched brow. "Teasing you? Not at all. I'm simply giving you what you want. It's pity that you want isn't it? Somehow you've romanticized this couple in your mind as the pinnacle of the perfect love. So I pity you that you will never get to experience what they had. I pity you for your youth, your stunning beauty, your every advantage in life. What a curse it is to have every man you meet fall over himself to worship you!"

Evelyn sat up and pulled away from him. "You ask me to tell you about myself! I thought you were sincere."

Some part of him recognized that his anger was irrational, that he was being unjustly cruel but he couldn't help taunting her. "And I thought you might have something more interesting in that head of yours! How disappointing for you that you won't have your own noble, blind, lunatic for a husband!"

"No!" Evelyn shouted back. "How disappointing that YOU'RE to be my husband! Cruel and heartless man! So- so - changeable from moment to moment. ANY man would be more bearable than you!" She regretted her anger instantly and clasped a hand over her mouth. "I beg your pardon sir. I didn't mean - let's not quarrel!"

Lord Davenport sat up and planted his feet on the cold floor. For some reason he had flash of Philip's face in his mind's eye. He leaned forward with his elbows on his thighs and dragged his hands harshly over his face. "We've dawdled long enough. The house will be awake at any moment."

"My lord-!"

"Quite alright my dear!" he spat out as he found his trousers at his feet and quickly pulled them on. "I'm at fault, really, for asking a woman what she's thinking post coitus. I ought to know by now it's all just a jumble of nonsense in those pretty little heads."

"Sir!"

He turned around to stare down at her coldly. "So I'm cruel and heartless, am I? After, what was it, three or four orgasms? I'll save my efforts from now on for a lady more grateful for my efforts!"

Then it was his turn for regret. Those words, as soon as he uttered them, felt like the swing of a blade that destroyed whatever amity they had just built. Even in the darkness, Lord Davenport could see her grow ashen.

His expression and tone softened. "Evelyn-" he started to say as he reached out a hand to her to reclaim their easy warmth. He winced when she violently jerked away from his touch.

Evelyn's felt the sting of his words as sharply as if he had struck her! It took her a moment to force back her tears and catch her breath. There could be no mistaking his meaning!

"I see," she whispered breathlessly.

How stupid she had been! Theirs wasn't a love match. The beast wasn't tamed. Not by her! He had done this with others!... Countless others even and will continue after they're married! Hadn't Lady Ann alluded to as much? In the heat of their passion Evelyn somehow made herself believe - what? That he felt as she did?

"Sweetheart-," he tried again.

Evelyn's anger weltered up and broke through her pain. "I understand you perfectly. As you said, I'm merely a consolation- here to provide you with an heir. That is all. Marriage is often an arrangement for such a purpose. And once the duty is done, husbands and wives often take lovers do they not? Isn't that what you mean by having a separate life? So we too shall follow the prescribed path, do long as I'm discrete and don't cause you too much embarrassment-"

With more roughness than either of them expected he lunged for her and gripped her by the shoulder. If she hasn't been so hurt and angry he might have frightened her. He was on the verge of shouting at her but he abruptly released her and backed away again.

"Regrettably you'll have to wait a bit!" he spat out, sardonically. "Then again, you may already be with child. Let's hope it's a son, shall we? Then we need never trouble each other again!"

This time he didn't stop her when she fled from the room and flinched when the door slammed shut behind her.

*********************************************

Urgent business took Lord Davenport from his home just as the rest of the household was rising.

"Men are impossible you know!" Mrs. Charlotte Fields complained to her brother and her husband and eyed each of them with an accusing eye. "-and with the wedding so close-."

"The Whigs and Tories won't simply be set aside their dispute because Lord Davenport is getting married," Philip replied dully. "But don't worry dear Charlotte. He'll arrive at the church on time, as he had said."

"One must do what one must," Mr. Field added, banally.

"Poor Lady Evelyn must feel so neglected," Charlotte grumbled. "Rude man! And I fear she's still not fully recovered from her ghastly ordeal. Have either of you noticed how pale she appeared at breakfast? I urged her to spend the rest of the day in bed till at least teatime. Hopefully those dark circles beneath her eyes will be gone by the wedding."

Had Charlotte not been so fixated on her young friend, she would have noticed Philip looked rather pale and sullen as well. He muttered something about being needed elsewhere. Then, to Charlotte's chagrin, he soon left the house too.

"What could possibly be of such importance?" Mr. Field said in agreement with his wife with a shake of his head. "I can never understand the ways of Londoners."

Lord Davenport, however, did not stay away too long and returned home shortly after Philip rode away from the house. He entered the house with one hand fingering something that he quickly slipped into the breast pocket of his coat. Then he went looking for his household. He found everyone gathered in the drawing room with some maids huddled around Charlotte and Evelyn looking over several polios of fabrics and patterns for the two ladies to look at. Mr. Fields was relegated to a corner, quietly reading the day's papers close up to his cherry red nose.

Everyone looked up when Lord Davenport's large, imposing figure darkened the doorway. His lordship barely greeted his cousins before his attention fell on Evelyn. He had a flashing vision of her in her nightgown with her hair free. But she was the picture of elegance in a grey silk dress with her hair fastened back. She dipped into a sweeping cursey with her eyes cast downwards, her expression serene, but her porcelain skin was flushed to the roots of her hair.

Charlotte had been anticipating this moment with bated breath. She looked upon her cousin and his fiancee and imaged, with romance in her heart, some sort of charming reunion between the handsome couple. All her hopes were dashed when the usually mannerly Lady Evelyn greeted his lordship rather coldly with barely a hello before she returned to her seat. On his part, Lord Davenport barely had time to react when he notice for the first time another woman in the room.

Lord Davenport froze! His eyes widened in shock as he came face to face with Lady Ann Seymour!

"How do you do Lord Davenport?" his former paramour greeted him, her cat-like eyes gleaming as she came towards him with her hands outstretched. "You must excuse my intrusion on your household like this but I had to come and wish my dear friend Lady Evelyn well. Allow me to offer you my congratulations as well!"

Lord Davenport darted a quick look at Evelyn then back to Ann again. "I wasn't aware you were acquainted with each other," he said tightly, his voice sounding unnaturally strained to his own ears.

Lady Ann inclined her head, gracefully. "Well," she said with a brilliant smile. "You know with our lot. Sooner or later we'll all become acquainted -or related!"

"How true," Mr. Fields agreed. "Hard to meet a stranger in this set."

With Lady Ann occupying Lord Davenport's attention, Charlotte leaned towards Evelyn. "You've been so pale and withdrawn all day my dear," Charlotte said in a low voice full of concern. "Are you sure we shan't send for a doctor?"

Evelyn answered with a weak smile, her lips paler than ever. "Just a bit tired."

Charlotte nodded in understanding. "It must be all the excitement. I remember feeling violently ill before my own wedding. The anticipation! The excitement! But, I assure you there's no need to fear! With time it will all seem quite natural."

"Will it?" Evelyn asked with her deep doubt written across her face. "Will being Lady Davenport ever feel natural to me?"

"Of course it will! Especially after you've had your first child." Charlotte leaned forward to give Evelyn's hand a warm squeeze. "Then all you'll feel is deliriously happy! "

Evelyn didn't appear happy though as she cast a quick glance towards the tall, erect figure of the man in question, still engaged in deep conversation with Lady Ann. Actually Lady Ann talked and Lord Davenport fixed his attention on the mantle clock. Evelyn felt her eyes burn and and her chest squeeze oddly to see him standing with another woman. Evelyn remanded herself for being foolishly jealous of her own friend. She quickly looked away again.

Charlotte was still speaking. "I have no doubt Cousin John will make a wonderful husband and father. All men of fortitude-"

"You've been most diligent in telling me of his good qualities, dear Charlotte," Evelyn said quickly. "I don't doubt you at all as I see them for myself. I do have to wonder sort of life we shall have together. Will I be enough for him? How will I bear the responsibility of being his chatelaine? If he should find me wanting-"

Charlotte reached out to give Evelyn's hand another deep squeeze. "You dear thing. I know what's brought this on. I assure you life is not a romance where two people fall in deep passionate love at first meeting and everything simply falls into place. Every marriage take times to develop into true companionship. In the meantime, make up your mind to love him, understand him and - forgive him for any of his transgressions. As for the wedding night, I'll come up to your room later." Charlotte gave Evelyn a knowing wink and stopped speaking when Lady Ann returned to sit with them.

Tea was served and Lord Davenport found himself on the far side of the room with Mr. Fields, while the ladies sat together engaged in soft pleasant conversation. Lord Davenport fixed his gaze on Evelyn and watched her every interaction with Lady Ann closely. Their softly spoken words did not carry over to him, but by their easy manners and warm smiles, he could detect no awkwardness or distress... until she happened to look up and see him! Then her gaze would drop away quickly as a rosy flush passed over her porcelain complexion.

Unable to remain seated a moment longer, Lord Davenport rose to his feet. "I have some documents I must retrieve before I go out again," he explained to the inquisitive looks. He fingered something in his breast pocket. "I won't be back for supper. My apologies but it can't be helped. Evelyn, may-"

"But why? Where are you off to now?" Charlotte interrupted in dismay.

"Has it started to rain again, I wonder," Lady Ann remarked. "The roads will be awful."

"I so dislike the smell of the city when it rains and the gutters overflow," Mr. Fields added.

Charlotte was near pleading with her cousin. "Everyone is expected-!" She gestured to Evelyn Evelyn to join in her entreat.

"-Matters that couldn't be put off, I'm afraid.. I won't bore you with the details," replied Lord Davenport with an apologetic smile. He flicked his glance at Evelyn but she remained stubbornly silent with her eyes cast down on her folded hands in her lap.

"Important business then?" Lady Ann asked affably.

Lord Davenport could only nod as his attention remained fixed on Evelyn.

"What could be of such grave importance at this hour?" Mr. Field asked with a grunt. "I say, I will never be use to life in town."

"Do you not enjoy it here, Mr. Fields?" Lady Ann asked. "There are so many diversions."

Mr. Field puffed up his chest in self importance. "Quite! Quite! But I'm a simple creature. I have no head for government or commerce. Speeches bore me. Business galls me. I much prefer the cleaner air of the country and no one is in such a hurry. One can truly appreciate every aspect of life!"

"I'm sure all your farm hands are equally at leisure," his lordship noted drily, trying not to let his impatience show.

Whether Mr. Field heard him or not, the self-satisfied smile didn't waver from his face. "I say, half of these important business are just harebrained schemes for charlatans and conmen. I tell you I laughed heartily when I hear some mad fools plan to dig a tunnel beneath the Thames. Dig beneath a navigable river! Indeed! There's sure to be quicksand and God knows what else! And there are those who actually speech of investing in such a venture! More money than brains I tell you!"

Lord Davenport finally dragged his gaze from Evelyn to level his gaze on the rotund little man. "I've looked into the scheme myself actually," he said quite casually "...among other foolish ventures."

Mr. Field blew out his cheeks then threw back his head and laughed heartily.

Ann spoke first. "Is such a thing possible? The force of the river currents will flood any progress in such a feat."

"Is it necessary?" Mr. Fields asked. "Are bridges out of fashion?"

Lord Davenport noticed that Evelyn was listening intently on their conversation, her interest peaked. He was suddenly less eager to be off and sat down again, with his long legs stretched out before him.

"I agree that the accepted designs I've seen are fundamentally flawed. However, I recently encountered an architect who showed me his designs for a rather impressive shield that would push against the water."

Both Mr. Fields and Lady Ann laughed incredulously.

"A shield?" Charlotte asked with a blank look on her face. "Why, that would have to be enormous!"

"Does this inventor intend to shield the entire length of the river?" Mr. Fields laughingly scoffed. "Who would even think to patent such a thing let alone allow it to be built?"

Lord Davenport rested his elbows on the arms of his chair and steeples his fingers beneath his chin. He stole another glance at Evelyn, whose interest was fully engaged now. "I'd rather think the whole thing, if possible would be a feat of engineering marvel. The shield's design was inspired a shipworm's shell that are quite adept at boring through submerged wood," he said mainly for her benefit,

Just as Evelyn was about to ask something, Mr. Fields spoke up again. "I simply mean that you seem overburdened, Cousin, if you're being pestered with schemes built on shells and other such nonsense. When you're a man of wealth and influence, every Tom Dick and Harry has some new, nonsensical scheme that will last years, require endless resources and will never amount to much I tell you."

Lord Davenport flexed his steepled fingers impatiently.

"Many such projects generally do take years and several false starts," Lady Ann agreed.

"How does one dig underneath a river?" Charlotte asked, still perplexed. "How could one even know how deep to dig, or even where to dig without it flooding over immediately? Are the bridges not serviceable anymore?"

"It's a hare-brained idea," Mr. Field said firmly. "This is what I mean though. You meet all sorts of tricksters in town, you won't encounter in the country. It's an idiotic risk, too high of a risk! It will just leave the financiers holding useless scraps at the end of the day. Mark me!"

"When have there ever been a reward without risk?" Evelyn finally spoke up "Much of our modern innovations, even our realm, wouldn't exist if not for risk-takers, the explorers. Those who risk all, do so on the hope to better our world and explore our human capabilities. There's no guarantee that any of it will succeed, but then again nothing in life is guaranteed."

"Well said, my dear!" Lady Ann said with a smile and patted Evelyn's hand. Lord Davenport merely studied her over his steepled fingers, in his usual impenetrable manner

"Better keep a keen eye on this one," Mr. Field said with a hearty laugh to the stone-faced Lord Davenport. Then the ruddy faced man leaned towards Evelyn and winked. "Well my dear, I can assure you that your life will be without worry or risks once you're Lady Davenport. As a future duchess you needn't worry your pretty little head even if your husband were to throw handfuls of gold sovereigns out the window each morning."

Lord Davenport straightened in his chair and looked pointedly at Mr. Fields. "The future Marchioness of Davenport shan't ever suffer condescension from those beneath her."