Duplicity Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sean's droopy aquamarine eyes connected with Haseem and he slowly nodded. He understood.

Rollins arranged for this last act to play out just like the last time.

To inflict the maximum pain.

Sean and Layla would be executed at the same time.

Henry girded his blade and waited. Layla would be the first to go so Sean could witness it. He looked down on Sean and couldn't wait to end this.

Sean's eyes connected with Haseem's. He hadn't seen him in years. Their suspicions had been correct. Although a sliver of doubt crept in, he forged on. Slowly and with great struggle Sean lifted his right hand and touched his chest.

With his eyes his still on Haseem, Sean whispered, "As-salamu alaykum brother."

Henry, the guards and Layla were confused as to who Sean was talking to.

Haseem slowly nodded. He let out a small smile and slightly bowed towards Sean. He always liked that about him. The respect he showed towards his customs. "Wa-laykum salaam."

The next seconds went lighting fast. In that split second Haseem wielded his sword and sliced through one of the guard's neck and plunged into the other. They both fell to the floor with a loud thud. Henry was momentarily shocked at the turn of events. He gritted his teeth and quickly hurled his blade towards Sean's neck.

Before Henry could finish swinging the weapon two gunshots echoed through the room.

---

---

Agitated birds flew above them spooked from the loud sound.

The booming pops echoed in Layla's ear.

Her breath stopped.

Her heartbeat slowed.

Her voice was lost.

Caught between horror and desperation; the throbbing stillness froze her. One beat at a time.

Henry's surprised eyes widened as he looked down at his chest. Sean was the one holding the gun. From his kneeling position he held the gun steady towards him. No one knew when he grabbed it again. Blood quickly spread drenching Henry's shirt as the fatal bullet did its damage. Henry stumbled then fell to the ground.

It was all blurry. Sean couldn't hear anything. His body finally gave out and he collapsed to the ground.

His last images were vivid and familiar.

Washed with white he recognized Layla as her angelic face came into view. He was grateful that would be the last image he would see. He gently closed his eyes and succumbed to sleep.

"Sean, stay with me. Don't go to sleep Sean. Stay with me. Oh GOD. Please! Sean! Wake up!"

But everything in Sean's world had already turned black. __________

The medical transport chopper dropped the patient at 1700 hours.

They quickly transported him into an ambulance. The hospital was 15 minutes away. The ambulance ride was a noisy one. There were voices on top of voices. Calling out orders and asking questions.

The military medical personnel quickly worked on him. With surgical scissors they cut through his shirt as they assessed the damaged. The man seemed slightly lucid. His face was covered in his now drying blood.

The patient was male, in his late fifties, had no history of any major allergies and wasn't currently on any medications. He was being treated for battery and a blow to the head. They administered oxygen, checked his vitals and quickly started an IV line. They feared he had internal bleeding, but most likely it was severe bruising and a possible cerebral contusion.

He seemed innocent enough, but the man was a prisoner who had to be restrained at all times. There were four Marines assigned to him. They didn't say much, but their eyes remained glued to the man who lay quietly on the stretcher. The medical personnel didn't know who this man was, but he must be someone dangerous.

The man moved his oxygen mask to the side and chuckled. "Do you know who I am? I've got connections you wouldn't even dream of. I'll be out of custody within a day." The older man spoke seemingly to the group of silent Marines or whoever would listen.

One particular Marine named Caleb clenched his teeth at hearing his voice. He hated this man.

He hoped this old guy wasn't going to cause trouble because he was not in the mood. He was so glad to see Sean beat him up so badly. Damn near killed the man; he deserved that and much more.

They had orders to bring him in alive. Preferably, but not necessarily. Did Rollins not know he was the most wanted man in America? What the U.S. accomplished this day would go down in history as neutralizing the biggest terrorist threat in history. He would surely spend the rest of his days awaiting his death sentence. And yet he knew that as soon as they got back to the U.S. there would probably be protests to commute his sentence to life. Even though it would be a closed door military tribunal, Rollins' fate would be a highly publicized one.

It wasn't fair. This man was responsible for so many American deaths. One of which was his older brother, Aiden. He was one of the thousands who died in one of Rollins' raids. His brother died at the hands of this man. And here he was tasked to watch him be nursed back to health.

Suddenly a sharp pop whizzed through the ambulance window. Several loud screams and curses flooded the truck. The Marine's team leader Rick hastily barked out orders. They quickly assembled into their positions. They had been compromised.

"Keep driving." Rick yelled at the ambulance driver. They were just minutes away from the hospital. The paramedics took cover behind anything they could find.

Rick peered through the ambulance window to see what kind of threat the faced. It was most definitely one of Rollins' men there to try and to break him free.

Their engaged weapons were at their fingertips as they waited for other shots to follow.

They prepared for an attack.

But none came.

Just as they reached the hospital, Rick's eyes landed on the older man who looked to be sleeping peacefully in the ambulance stretcher. The squad quickly assembled outside providing cover as they finished transport. The medical personnel scrambled with the patient, but found him to be unresponsive. The doctors rushed to greet the incoming patient and were confused. They were told his injuries were non life-threatening. They quickly searched his chest and found it. A direct shot to his heart. Killed instantly.

No one knew where the bullet came from. This was the work of a highly trained marksman.

Perhaps it was an enemy combatant out to make sure Rollins didn't flip on them and reveal any enemy secrets. Perhaps it was the U.S. government who preferred to deal with a dead traitor than a traitor on trial for his life. Or perhaps it was someone who finally fulfilled his promise.

12