Everwood

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Have a great day, honey!" her dad said as he kissed her goodbye.

"What time will you be home tonight?" Tatum asked.

"Well, I hope to be back by eight. Is that okay?" he told her.

"Will Shania be here with me?"

He looked over at her and Shania said, "You better believe it...friend."

"Then that's just fine!" she told her dad smiling a happy smile.

"Have a great first day, Doctor Harper," Shania said. "And no worries. I'll be there waiting for her when school's out."

"Great. Oh, I added you to the list of people authorized to pick her up so you shouldn't have any problems. Just give me a call if you do. And thank you, Shania. I really appreciate this."

"Don't be silly. I'm the lucky one. You have such a wonderful family."

Tatum grabbed her hand and said, "Come on! I wanna see your car again!"

Drop off was a piece of cake and pick up was only a bit more time consuming. She'd made both of her classes and still had time to study before heading back to Tatum's school and Shania couldn't help but thinking how fortunate she was to have gotten this job which paid much better than anything she'd done since leaving the Air Force.

"Okay, do you have any homework?" she asked Tatum as soon as they got inside.

"Just some reading," she said. "Can I play for a while first?"

"How much reading?" Shania asked.

"Twenty pages," Tatum told her.

"Okay. One hour of play then you read. Deal?"

"Deal!" Tatum said nodding. "Do you wanna play with me?"

"Yes, but I have things to do first, honey. I need to vacuum, get laundry going, and run the dishes. So...we'll see, okay?"

Her answer satisfied her new friend who ran upstairs while Shania took care of her domestic chores.

Dinner ended up being a hamburger for the two girls who ate alone with Tatum talking almost non-stop. Just as they were cleaning their plates, Bryce walked in.

"Hey, handsome!" Shania said. "When are you heading over to hang out with your new girlfriend?"

He didn't smile or even reply. He just shook his head and she saw the disappointment written all over his face.

"Tatum? Would you mind too much if I had a few minutes to talk to Bryce?" she asked bending down and speaking quietly.

"He's really sad," Tatum said, also being quiet.

"Just a few minutes, okay?"

Tatum went over and hugged her brother before going upstairs.

Shania moved closer to him and said, "Want to talk about it?"

"Not really," he said. "It won't change anything."

"It might make you feel better," she said in an encouraging tone of voice.

"I guess having muscles in your shit trumps being a nice guy."

Shania covered her mouth when she understood what he'd just told her.

"She took him back, didn't she? Oh, Bryce! I'm so sorry!" she said. Instinctively, she put her arms around him and held him. "I'm just so sorry."

She backed up then said, "If you decide you do want to talk about it, will you let me know?"

"Um...yeah. Sure," he said without really looking at her.

"I'm a really good listener," she said again trying to sound supportive.

"You've got stuff to do around here so that's okay," he said dejectedly.

"I'm off whenever your dad gets home. I'm caught up on my own homework so...if you maybe want to go have some coffee or something we could just sit and talk." Her eyebrows were raised in a way that indicated she hoped he'd agree.

Bryce finally looked up at her then said again, "Um...yeah. Sure. That sounds really...great."

"Wonderful!" Shania said. "And I really am very sorry. I kind of feel responsible for all of this." She knew she wasn't, but she loved her job and she really, really liked this family. She already felt a strong connection with each of them, and it bothered her deep down to see any member of the family hurting so badly.

Bryce went upstairs and Shania finished cleaning up the kitchen. Tatum came back down and wanted to know why her brother was so sad.

"Girl problems, sweetheart."

"Did she dump him already?" Tatum asked innocently.

"I don't really know the details," Shania told her truthfully. "Relationships can be...complicated."

"I hope I don't start liking boys anytime soon. Not like that, anyway."

"It's not all bad," Shania assured her. "In fact, it can pretty amazing when you find the right one."

"Have you found the right one?" Tatum asked.

"Me? No. I've found quite a few really nice guys but not the right one. At least not yet anyway."

"My dad is a really nice guy," Tatum said in a way that let her know she was dropping a hint.

"Well, yes he is," Shania agreed. She smiled then said, "Are you trying to play matchmaker by any chance?"

"What's that?" Tatum asked. Shania explained it to her and Tatum giggled. "Maybe just a little bit." Shania laughed, too, then told her that because she worked for her father that wasn't a real possibility.

"Well, maybe when you quit then," she said trying to outsmart the older woman.

"We'll see. He's probably not interested in a girl my age with no job and no real experience. Besides, and please don't be sad, okay? But your mom hasn't been gone all that long and people need lots of time after losing someone they really love."

"Okay, but didn't you say sometimes you have to let the other person know how you feel? Didn't you tell Bryce that?"

Shania smiled then said, "Hmmm. Someone was paying attention, wasn't she?"

"Well, I'm not a kid, you know," she said yet again causing Shania to laugh then quickly explain she wasn't laughing at Tatum.

It was just before eight when Dr. Harper got home.

"Dad!" Tatum said running to him and giving him a big hug. "How was your first day at work?"

"It was good," he told her. "How was your first day?"

"Fine—but Bryce got dumped," she blurted out.

"Uh-oh," he said. Shania overhead and chimed in.

"Yeah, it looks pretty bad. I'm gonna take him out for a cup of coffee and lend a sympathetic ear."

"You're nothing short of amazing," he told Shania. "Okay, if anyone can turn him back around my money's on you."

She thanked him then said, "So unless you need me to do anything else, there's an extra burger on the stove. It was just us girls for dinner and that's all Tatum wanted."

"Ah, yes. My little Burger Queen. She'd eat a hamburger every day of the week if I let her. No, that's fine, Shania. Go work your magic with The Brooding One. So far you've managed to completely turn our lives around for the better so have at it."

She was clearly embarrassed by the flattery. "I really like my job, Doctor Harper. It's easy when everyone is so awesome."

"Did you hear that, Miss Tater Tot? We're awesome!" he told his daughter.

"Yeah, I know," Tatum said trying to smug but unable not to laugh. "And Dad? Please don't call me that when Shania is around, okay?"

Both adults laughed politely at the little girl who was growing up so fast.

"I guess I'll go grab Bryce and see if there's any magic left in me," Shania said before heading upstairs.

"Relationships can be complicated," Tatum informed her father authoritatively.

"Truer words," he said. Tatum made a face having no idea what that meant. "I'll explain it later. I think I'd like a burger."

Shania tapped on Bryce's door and waited. A few seconds later it opened, a shirtless, sleepy-eyed 18-year peeking at her with one eye that was barely opened.

"You ready?" she asked.

"Um...how about tomorrow?" he said.

He looked so dejected there was no way she was going to try and drag him out for coffee.

"Okay. Tomorrow it is," she said with a smile. "Sweet dreams?"

"Yeah. Sure. Whatever." He wasn't being mean, he was just being a high school kid whose feelings had been deeply hurt.

Very little was said between them the next day until Shania got ready to leave.

"Feel like talking yet?" she asked politely.

"You know what? I think I am," Bryce said. "I left my coat in my room. Let me just grab it real quick, okay?"

He came back down and met her at the front door where she was waiting and said, "Okay. I'm ready."

"Did you want me to drive or did you want to drive yourself so you don't have to have me drive you back?" she asked him.

"How about you let me drive us both and I'll bring you back here? If it's not too far out of your way."

Shania smiled and told him, "It adds a few extra minutes, but I think I can handle that. Okay, sure. You can drive."

"And I pay," Bryce added as they walked out into the cold night air.

"Oh, no. That's where I draw the line. This was my idea so I pay. No discussion."

"And I thought you respected me," he said with a smile as he opened her door.

"I do," she told him as she slid in.

He went around and got in then started the car. "Then why would you try and emasculate me like that? And on our first date, no less." He tried not to laugh but couldn't help it.

"Oh, you had me going for a minute!" she said wagging a finger his way. "I don't get my chain pulled too often, but you definitely got me. I guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on you than I thought."

By the time the car's heater made a difference they were there.

Bryce refused to let her pay and Shania thanked him, grateful to save any amount of money, while reassuring him he did indeed have her respect.

"So now that we've cleared up the whole respect thing, tell me what's going on with Amanda."

"It's pretty simple. This is high school. She's hot, I'm not. He's got muscles in his...you know." There was an older couple sitting close by and Shania appreciated his discretion.

"So she just went back to muscles guy? Just like that? No warning, no discussion, no...nothing?"

"Bingo!" Bryce said. "Yeah, everything seemed really great. We went to the movie. We held hands. She even laid her head on my shoulder. Nothing big, but it was really nice, you know? We texted a lot the next day and made all these big plans. She was really happy to see me right before school started and then... Well, I see them sitting together during lunch. And not just...sitting."

"Oh, right. Making out in public. Yeah, that's definitely high school. Bryce, I'm really sorry and I can assure you it's her loss. You're a really great guy and someday..."

"Ouch," he said interrupting but not in a mean way.

"Ouch? What'd I say? I was trying to be nice."

"It's just that I've heard the 'you're a really great guy' thing a few times. It's usually followed by the word 'but' and then some reason why the girl doesn't want to go out or even hang out with me. So I guess it's not just high school girls I have that effect on."

"Okay, that's just not fair. I'm not only a senior in college, but I was in the military for four years. I'm like a gazillion years older than you are so you can't expect me to think about you...like that." She had an imploring look Bryce knew meant she was being sincere and that his comment may have even stung.

"I'm sorry. I guess I'm a little defensive right now."

"A little?" Shania said smiling a weak smile. "For the record, I think you're very cute. You have sad eyes and...that's kind of...sexy."

"Well...thank you—I think," Bryce said without further comment.

Shania wanted to change the subject so she asked him a question. "So, Bryce, why aren't you playing the violin? Your dad said you're not just good but really, really good. Maybe even Juilliard good."

"My dad said that? About me?" he asked unable to believe it.

"He did. He said he thinks you're trying to punish him for moving you out here but..."

"But...what?"

"Maybe I should stop talking. It's none of my business."

"Oh, come on! You can't take me that far then just leave me hanging. But...what?"

"Well, he thinks you're only punishing yourself. That you have a real future in music but only if you... What exactly did he say? Take the bull by the horns? Or maybe go for the brass ring?"

"That's my dad. He's like this world-famous neurosurgeon so he thinks I can be a world-class violin player. Yeah, right. I can't even get a second date with a girl I like."

"From what he told me, you were already very well known in New York and that's no small feat. And maybe you're asking the wrong girls," she offered. "This Amanda seems stuck on stupid if you ask me. Sorry, that was mean. I just meant there are a lot of things more important than being ripped or shredded or whatever. What good will having six-pack abs do him in a few months when the phony world of high school is over? What does he have to offer other than bench pressing a lot of weight? But you have talent, Bryce! You have a real gift! You could be a world-class violinist. You just have to believe in yourself."

"That's easy for you to say," he said rather sardonically.

"Hey, I know you lost your mom. I can't even imagine how awful that is. And yes, your dad brought you to some new place for your senior year against your will. I'm sure I'd be bitter, too. But Bryce, you have this amazing gift! And it's a whole lot more valuable and...and well, it's a whole lot sexier than having big biceps. Guys with big muscles like that are kinda gross anyway." Shania made a face that made Bryce laugh.

"Ha! I made you laugh!" she said. "So...can I get you to play for me sometime soon? Please?"

"I dunno. I'm really out of practice. I'd be terrible."

"Well, since I don't play the violin I won't know the difference, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Will you at least think about it?"

"Maybe," he said. "On one condition."

"Name it!" she said excitedly.

"If I play for you, you have to go out with me."

"What? You mean...on a date?"

"Yeah. Why not? Other than you're like a gazillion years old, of course."

"Gee, thanks. Way to make a girl feel good about herself," she said mostly because she didn't know what else to say having been caught so off guard by his request. "Bryce? Why would you want to go out with me? Seriously? You just had your heart set on Amanda and now you're asking me to go out with you. I don't understand."

"Honestly? I don't, either. I know it doesn't make any sense, but...well, you said when you like a girl sometimes you just have to let her know. So...I'm letting you know."

Shania smiled at him then said, "That's...that's really sweet, Bryce. It really is. But you're in high school and I'm...not. And the age difference is a really big deal. If I was 30 and you were 22, it might not be as big a deal, but 26 and 18...is. You get that, right?"

"Yeah, okay. But in four years you'll be 30 and I'll be 22, and now that we know it won't be a big deal...why wait?"

That boyish smile made her smile back. "You are impossible!" she said. "Funny but impossible."

"And cute," he reminded her. "Your words not mine."

"Yeah, in that boyish kind of way maybe," she said looking at him differently for the first time. "How about this? You play the violin for me, and I'll think about it. Is that fair enough?"

"Hmmm. Let's see. I have to spend hours and hours practicing and rehearsing then you have the option to say, 'Great concert, Bryce. But 'no thanks' on that whole date thing. Sorry, you'll have to do better than that."

"Okay, how about coffee again but I pay?"

"Oh, now that's even more insulting. Come on, Shania. One date. What's the harm? I'm paying, of course, so you can't use money as an excuse. And it can be any night of the week you want so studying or working won't be issues, either."

"You are very persistent," she said now smiling a genuine smile. "There's one other problem, though. I don't think your dad would take kindly to me going out with his son. Even once."

"No problem. We won't tell him. We won't lie, of course. We just won't say anything about it."

"I don't know, Bryce. It's just..."

"Complicated?" he suggested.

"Very," she replied. "Can I think about it?"

"Yeah, sure. I didn't really expect you to say 'yes' anyway, but I had to ask, right?"

"Well...I haven't said no yet, so...does that help?"

"I think it does," he told her before smiling again. "Yeah, that definitely helps."

"We should probably be going," Shania said as she finished her coffee.

When they got back to the Harper House, as Bryce called it, he asked Shania for her keys so he could warm her car up while she waited in his. Just this simple, thoughtful act made her think she might just agree to this one date. The fact that nothing more could ever come of it made it easier to consider saying 'yes', and it might be the very thing a guy like Bryce could use to jump start his confidence. Then again, he'd just let her know how he felt about her in so many words, so perhaps he wasn't quite as shy as she thought.

His tap on her window startled her out of her thoughts. She looked up and smile just as Bryce opened her door and helped her out.

"Well, thank you for the coffee," she said smiling at him sweetly.

"Thank you for listening," he told her.

"So...I'll see you tomorrow, I guess," she said as she watched her frosty breath disappear into the night.

Bryce hadn't moved yet so Shania smiled and said, "What?"

As she did he reached for her hands and took them. "Bryce? What are you..."

And then he kissed her. Just once and only for a second, but he did indeed kiss her.

She was so stunned she just stood there looking at him.

"It's really cold out here. You should probably get in your car. It oughta be warm by now," he said unable to stop smiling.

Finally, Shania said, "I do not believe you just did that."

"Good night and thanks again for letting me talk," he said letting go of her hands. Then he took one of them and led her to her car and opened her door.

She looked at him one last time but didn't speak. She sat down behind the wheel and heard him shut her door, but nothing registered.

"What in the world just happened?" she said out loud to herself.

It was well passed 10pm and Tatum was sound asleep when Bryce went back inside. Dr. Harper was in the study reading an article from an on-line medical journal when a loud squeaking sound startled him. "What the...?" he said getting up and following the noise.

It led him to the large family room where he saw his son pulling his bow across his violin with sheet music on a stand in front of him.

"What is this?" he said as he moved closer.

"Oh, hey, Dad," Bryce said. "Well, this is called a violin and this is a bow and that..."

"Yeah, yeah. Okay, smart ass," he said jokingly. "But...why? I mean, this is fantastic, but what's going on?"

Bryce drew back the bow and said, "Let's just say I found my muse," then let it rip.

The rich sounds of the violin filled the house and Andrew Harper sat down and marveled as his son played a piece he didn't know by name but had heard many times in the past.

When he finished, his father smiled and began clapping. "Bravo, Bryce. Bravo!"

He sat and listened for almost an hour before excusing himself and going back to the study. Even with the doors closed he could hear Bryce playing and Andy Harper couldn't stop smiling.

The following evening Bryce found Shania in the kitchen with Tatum and asked if he could talk to her for a few minutes—alone.

"Um, sure. In fact, that's probably a really good idea. Tatum? Can you give us..."

"Oh, brother! Again?" she said as she tramped out of the kitchen.

"Thank you!" Shania called out as she headed upstairs.

"How about Friday?" Bryce said without explanation.

"Friday?"

"I'll be ready to play for you by Friday. Does that work for you? If not we can..."

"No. Friday is perfect. Sure. I'd love that. But Bryce? We really need to talk. About, you know."

"The kiss?" he said pretending he wasn't sure.

"Yes," she said. She moved closer then suggested they sit at the kitchen counter.

"We need to have...boundaries. What happened can't happen again, okay?" she told him.

"Because?" he said drawing out the word.