Factors of Change Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He let go of my hand to turn on the lights, and walked over the armchair to grab his jeans. I watched him shove them on before going to the dresser to put some clothes on as well. He wasn't saying anything so I didn't ask any questions, and barely had time to grab onto a hair tie from the top of the dresser before I followed him out of the bedroom and into the hallway. We walked down the stairs and ended up in the dark main hall. It was empty, quite predictably, it being no more than 3 o'clock in the morning. I reached up to pull my hair up and opened my mouth to ask him what the hell was going on when the phone went off in the pocket of his pants. We both froze, and Gabriel reached down for it. "Oui?" he answered after only one ring. His gaze connected with mine as he listened to whoever it was on the phone, and I knew something had gone terribly wrong.

***

An hour later, someone had turned on the TV on the news channel, and a few of us were sitting in front of it, watching as they showed footage of flaming buildings.

The news anchor didn't have a lot of information, other than that six restaurants in Montreal had gone up into flames during the night and that, while the fires were still active and there had been no way yet of knowing how they started, the situation was considered highly suspect. They had all been closed and empty at the moment the fires began, thankfully, with the exception of a single janitor in one of them, who managed to get out in time according to the story.

What the news anchor couldn't know was that those six restaurants all belonged to the pack. The janitor who escaped was a Were, of course, who was already being taken care of at the pack clinic. Gabriel had been on the phone for the better part of the past hour and the Six had been wakened up and joined us on the first floor living room, everyone talking at the same time and giving their own opinion on what, who, and why.

I stared at the footage going on a loop on TV. My heart beat loudly in my chest and my hands were cold. Six of the pack's restaurants, gone into flames in one night. I had no idea what it meant to manage the pack. I didn't even know those restaurants and was thankful that no one had gotten hurt. But I knew how to recognize a message when I saw one, and I couldn't help but think that this might have been done by the same people who hurt Joseph.

Gabriel hung up his cellphone and, after a brief nod to William and Mark, disappeared down the hallway, towards the home office he kept on the other side of the house. The two betas followed him, and I glanced back towards the television, just in time to hear the news anchor announce a seventh fire.

My heart sank as I watched the new live video footage; I had recognized, through the flames, the golden pig engraved on a wooden sign above the front door. "Gabriel took me there on our first date," I said sadly, biting my lower lip. "It was one of his favourites."

"But it doesn't belong to the pack," Elise pointed out, confused. "The other six restaurants do, but this one belongs to humans. It doesn't have anything to do with us."

I looked up at the young woman only to notice that Cedric, who had been standing next to her, was completely livid. He stared at the television for a few more moments before he spun on his heels and left the living room. I instantly jumped to my feet to follow him down the hall. "Cedric," I called. I reached out and grabbed his arm. "Cedric, wait. What is it?" I said when he finally looked down at me. He looked terribly upset. "What's wrong?"

He pursed his lips tightly and glanced at the closed door of Gabriel's office for a moment before staring back down at me. "What did 'e tell you about 'is life?" he asked, arching a dark eyebrow at me. "'Is life as a human, I mean?"

I frowned. "His life... I... That you got him out of a wheelchair?" I asked, confused.

"No. Before dat."

"That he was a manager," I said, shaking my head. "That he worked for his father's restaurant..." I trailed off as I suddenly realized what he meant, my heart suddenly dropping in my chest. "Oh no. Is that what this restaurant was?" But I already knew it was; I cursed myself for not figuring it out before now. Gabriel's story about his father's business, him taking me to a restaurant that had nothing to do with the pack... He had even mentioned during our meal there that it had been a family business at one point, before hastily changing the subject. "Oh my God." I clenched my fists, feeling anger bloom in my chest. "This was done on purpose!"

Cedric nodded sharply. "Like everyt'in' else."

We stood silently for a moment in the dark hallway, listening to the distant sound of the television. "I'll go tell him," I said softly, and turned to walk over to the office door. I knocked twice on the door before turning the knob, opening to find Gabriel with his arms crossed, leaning back against his desk as he spoke to the two betas sitting in front of him. They all froze and looked up to me when I stepped in. "Can I talk to you?" I told Gabriel. "It's urgent."

He nodded and the two others took their cue and left, shutting the door behind them and leaving us alone. Gabriel frowned at me, waiting, and I let out a soft breath. "There's another restaurant burning, but it doesn't belong to the pack," I said quickly as I walked over to him. I looked up at his face, and reached for his hand. "It's the Cochon Dingue," I continued softly.

He froze and blinked, looking as though I had just slapped him for no reason—I had to admit I rather felt like I had, too—before he wrenched his hand from mine and turned around. He paced over to the window and leaned his hands against the windowsill. I hurried to his side, laying a light hand on his shoulder. "It was your father's restaurant, wasn't it?" I whispered. "The one you told me about?"

He nodded sharply, once, his eyes stubbornly set on the darkness outside the window. It would be dawn soon, but for now, all we could see in the glass was our own reflection. "This was not meant against the pack," he let out in a deceptively calm tone. "This is for me. Just for me."

"Gabriel," I breathed, gently rubbing his arm. "Who ... who knew about the restaurant? Who could know it used to be yours?"

"Anyone who bothered digging into my past, I suppose. Anyone can find traces of my human life," he answered, shutting his eyes. "I never talked about it much, though. Only to friends."

Something gnawed at my insides, and I hesitated to say it out loud, but I had to. "The same six friends who knew about Joey?" I let out hesitantly.

"Mmhmm," he let out absently, before he suddenly caught my train of thought and turned his head to give me a sharp look. "It is not one of them," he said in a warning tone.

"You don't know that," I breathed. "You haven't known them their entire life."

He straightened up and stared disbelievingly down at me. "And you don't know them like I do," he snapped back.

"That's exactly why I keep an open mind," I insisted. "Gabriel, no one knew about Joey but the Six. And now the restaurant? Who else would know exactly how to hurt you?" He stared hard at me, but I stood my ground, holding his heated gaze. I had to get him to at least think about it. I hoped I was wrong, but what if I wasn't?

He let out a deep, annoyed breath through his nose and glanced back at the closed door. He mumbled something nasty in French under his breath before slamming his fist down on the desk with a loud bang that startled me. "I'm sorry," I whispered, but didn't move to touch him.

He shut his eyes tight, but didn't answer. He was silent for a long moment before he finally looked up at me. I could feel no anger directed towards me through our bond, which was a bit of a relief, but he was terribly upset, no matter what his impassible features indicated. And I knew that was partly my fault. "I have to go back to Montreal to deal with this," he said in a low tone.

I nodded. "Okay."

"Let me go tell everyone what they have to do," he continued in the same tone, turning to the door. I moved to follow him, but he held out a hand to me. "Non, reste ici. I will be back in a few minutes."

I frowned deeply, but froze, watching him walk out of the office. The door clicked shut softly behind him and I swallowed, taking a step back to sit down hard on one of the large armchairs. I sighed and pulled my legs up to my chest, and tilted my head down to hide my face in my arms. I wanted to cry and scream at the same time and while I thought that I had good reasons to worry, I sincerely hoped that I hadn't just made a terrible mistake.

I must have dozed off waiting for him, and barely registered the door opening again. I heard his muffled footsteps on the carpet as he walked over to me, but stirred when he sat down on the edge of the armchair and reached out to touch my face. "Lili," he said gently, brushing my cheek. "Leah, it is almost time for me to go."

I raised my head from my arms to blink up at him. I frowned and bit my lower lip. "Gabriel," I started in a soft voice. "Gabriel, I'm sorry..."

He shook his head. "No, you might be right," he said. "It is just ... hard to think about it." He took my hand and squeezed my fingers. "I am leaving for the city. I need to be there when the police starts its enquiry, to keep the damage at a minimum. I cannot let them figure their way up to the pack."

I nodded. "But won't they? They'll figure out the restaurants all belong to the same owner."

"Non," he said, shaking his head. He reached up with his other hand to push a dark curl from my forehead, letting his fingers linger there a few moments before dropping his hand. "We use figureheads. All of our avenues have different owners, members of the pack with no obvious connections to each other. It should be all right."

"So you're going towards the people who set your restaurants on fire," I stated, and swallowed hard.

"I will not run away, Lili." He shook his head. "I need to know what they want and stop them. What will they do next?"

"They'll hurt you, that's what," I said, clutching his hand.

"But how?" He cupped my cheek, staring at my face, and let his thumb brush over my lower lip. "So far, they never tried to touch me. They only destroy what I love." I saw his jaw clench in anger as he looked at me. "What if they hurt you to get to me, Leah? What would I be without you?"

"The same as me, if you're not careful," I let out in a strangled tone. I leaned in and he opened his arms just in time to wrap them around me, my arms going around his neck to hug him tight as I curled on his lap. "Who are you taking with you?" I whispered against his neck.

"William and Mark. Elise and Thomas will cover the sentries, and Cedric will stay at the house here with Isabelle. And you." I tensed in his arms and leaned back to frown at him. He pressed his lips tightly together; he had expected me not to like that.

"I'm coming with you," I let out stubbornly.

"No, you are not," he replied just as seriously.

"I'm not letting you out of my sight," I insisted, panic quickly bubbling up in my chest. "Gabriel, you can't leave me behind. You can't force me to stay here."

"I certainly could if I wanted to," he pointed out with a smile. Did he think that was reassuring? I didn't smile back.

"You said you would never command me."

"Oh no. I only said I never wanted to have to." He reached up and tilted up my chin. "And that what I wanted from you, I would ask." He leaned back slightly and cupped my face with both his hands, looking down into my eyes. "So I am asking you to stay. I need you here."

"With Cedric? Can you really trust them, Gabriel?" I pleaded.

He sighed. "I have no choice for now. Leah," he insisted, leaning in closer, "of all of them, Cedric is who I trust most with my life, and yours."

"Why?" I whispered. "He hates me."

He smiled softly. "No, he does not." He shook his head. "If I cannot trust Cedric, then the past thirty years of my life were built on a lie. I refuse to consider it."

I was silent, staring at him. I knew he probably had his reasons, but the thought of being separated from him filled me with dread and terror. I shut my eyes with a sigh, my shoulders slumping. "What do you need me to do?" I finally asked, opening my eyes.

He gave me a small smile. "I need the pack to stay here. If we both leave, they will worry and follow us back to the city, and I do not want that. If I leave but you stay here, they will stay as well." He shook his head. "You need to stay with Joey, as well. He needs an Alpha if he shifts, and he trusts you. His wolf might maybe listen to Cedric, but he will certainly answer to you."

I nodded. "Okay." I let out a soft, trembling breath through my lips and he pulled me close, shutting his eyes as he held me tight against his chest. "Stay safe," I said against his chest, hugging him for all he was worth. He nodded against my hair.

"I will end this, Leah," he whispered. "I promise."

***

The three men left soon after, and we all settled to wait. Rumours about the restaurants burning quickly spread throughout the compound and we spent most of our time answering questions as members came up to the big house. I quickly understood why Gabriel had needed me to stay here for them: they were worried, but how dangerous or disquieting could things be, if the Alpha left without his mate? Not too much, I hope, I thought to myself as I waved yet another family goodbye while they disappeared through the trees after a surprise visit.

I turned and glanced at my charge, making sure he stayed within my line of sight. Joseph was highly upset, but still sat in the porch swing where we had spent most of the morning together. Upon learning that the Weres who had attacked, caught and Turned him might be in Montreal, where his wife still lived, he had wanted to leave and still hadn't changed his mind. I was running out of arguments to make him stay—to be honest, I quite wanted to hop up into a car to Montreal as well.

He stood up just as I climbed the few steps to enter the veranda. "I'm leaving," he announced. "I can't stay here."

I sighed and shook my head, staring at him. His turning was still recent and he was still coming to terms with the changes in his body, but as he learned, his confidence grew and he turned out to be just as stubborn as his best friend. Joey wasn't as tall as the other werewolves, but the change had rejuvenated him, taking quite a few years from his age. Grey still streaked his hair and he looked older than any other Were I knew, but I knew from experience that he shifted into a very powerful wolf. I hoped he wouldn't do it now, though. Seemingly coming out of the trees, Cedric stepped closer to me, probably thinking the same thing, and looked up to the older man. "Joey, Gabriel 'as it under control."

"Marie is in danger," Joey said between clenched teeth. His fists tightened convulsively at his sides but he carefully unclenched them in an obvious effort to remain calm. "Leah," he tried again, planting his pleading whisky gaze in mine. "I have to go to her. I've asked, and asked, but none of you will listen."

"We just need to think," I answered lamely, and bit my lower lip. "We can't rush..."

"Can't rush?" he repeated, his tone suddenly rising. "It's been a month! If Gabriel had agreed to Turn her, she would be here, safe, with me!"

"Stand down, Joey," Cedric spat, but I took a step forward, stopping him.

"It's not that he doesn't want to!" I argued. "It's that we don't know if he should be the one doing ... doing it."

Joey groaned and raised his hands in exasperation. "Then let it be someone else! You, or Cedric, whatever. It doesn't matter..."

"Well..." I interrupted, and he stopped to frown at me. I sighed. "Actually, it might matter."

His frown deepened, and I felt Cedric's eyes turn to me in surprise. "How?"

I walked over to sit down on the porch swing, patting the cushion next to me. Joseph stared at me for a long moment before joining me. Cedric climbed up as well and stood in front of us, arms crossed over his chest. "You already know Gabriel and I were bitten by the same Were," I started, avoiding Cedric's gaze. "We thought ... well we figured maybe that was why we turned out to be mates. Since not a lot of humans are Turned, and Weres who do bite them are usually punished ... we thought maybe that would be why Turned Weres never find their mate. Because no other human was bitten by the same Were."

There was a long silence, and Cedric frowned deeply at me. "Why did neither of you say anythin' before now?"

"Because we haven't told anyone about this theory. Gabriel was trying to pry other Alphas for information, before he told anyone about it."

"So you think," Joseph said slowly, "that in order for her to be my mate, my wife would have to be bitten by the same Were who attacked me." I nodded, and we fell into an uncomfortable silence.

"Dat's fucked up," Cedric finally said.

Joseph scoffed. "It's probably the stupidest thing I've heard all day."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "I beg your pardon?"

"My wife is already my mate," he said plainly, narrowing his eyes at me. "We've been married for almost forty years. And you think whoever bites us will change that?"

"We don' know 'ow it works," Cedric said. "Dey might be right. A Were doesn' choose 'is mate."

"Well, neither does a human," Joseph said to him. "You think my mate's changed now that I've been bitten?"

"Humans don' 'ave mates," Cedric answered with a frown.

I opened my mouth to say something, but Joseph beat me to it, suddenly standing up. He might have been several inches shorter than the dark, brooding beta, but he didn't seem intimidated in the slightest, and it didn't take anything from the furious glare he gave him. "No mates?! You think you werewolves invented soulmates? That you're the only ones to have them?"

"We," Cedric corrected, arching an arrogant eyebrow. "You're a Were too."

"Don't be a fucking prick, Cedric," Joseph hissed.

I sighed and got to my feet as well to try and save them from testosterone poisoning. "Stop it," I snapped, laying a hand on Joseph's chest before he jumped on Cedric, and glared up at the later. "You're acting like teenagers."

Joey stepped back and looked down at me. "Do you really think that?" he asked, frowning deeply. "That Gabriel only became your mate after you were bitten?"

"I..." I started, but stopped, frowning back at him. "What do you mean?"

"You were human before. Did you never dream of finding your soulmate before you even knew about Weres?" He turned to Cedric. "Humans believe in it too. Sometimes, they find each other. And I found mine, a long time before I became a Were." Cedric frowned back but didn't answer, a thoughtful look in his eyes.

"You think that Gabriel and I were soulmates before we were Weres?" I asked. I had to admit it was an undeniably pleasing thought.

"If he wasn't," he said with a soft snort, "then who was?"

"But we never would have met if we hadn't been Turned," I tried.

"You don' know dat," Cedric let out, surprising us both. "Maybe life would 'ave t'rown him in your path another way." We looked at him, and he shrugged. "What? I can change my mind."

"Maybe that's why Turned Weres never find their mate," Joseph pointed out. "They're not meant to be Weres. Their soulmate is a human."

I bit my lower lip. "You know, that theory makes a lot more sense."

He gave me a small smile. "Thank you."

"So we've been keepin' you away from your mate for a month," Cedric said, and shoved his hands in his pockets. "No wonder you can't control your shiftin'. S'a wonder you haven' jumped to anyone's t'roat yet."