Falling Hard Ch. 14

Story Info
Reunions.
7k words
4.77
19k
6

Part 15 of the 20 part series

Updated 10/10/2022
Created 02/11/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let me in, Mandi! Open up!"

Oh God, she knew that voice: the psycho with the knife was pounding at her door!

"Go away or I'm calling the cops!"

But she knew she couldn't do that. Her phone was lost on the street somewhere. Besides, he'd killed a demon, and he'd tracked her to her home. He was obviously not a man, and what had Virta said? There was nothing the cops or any other humans could do.

Her already frazzled nerves were screaming in distress.

"It's Mick... from the alley. I'm a friend of Virta's." His voice was softer but just as impatient.

"Please, go away!" she called.

The pounding and the voice went silent.

Mandi waited and listened for a while.

Then, she carefully opened the door a crack, gasping as sky blue eyes filled her vision. She tried to shove the door closed, but his arm was already through and he forced his way in.

Mandi froze as the door slammed shut behind him. Mick leaned against it as if it could keep out some evil that was chasing at his heels. He was panting.

"I had to see you. I need to find Virta, and -"

He was cut off when she released pepper spray into his eyes.

"What is that shit?" he asked, wiping fingers across his eyes. He stood there looking down at her without so much as blinking. "Why did you do that?"

Mandi clenched the canister in a tight fist. The stuff hadn't even phased him.

"Its... it's a weapon," she stammered. "You spray it in someone's face and it... hurts them a lot. So you can get away."

Mick wiped his eyes on the back of his sleeve. Mandi realized he was shaking with laughter. She listened to the beautiful, rich tones. But her amazement turned to anger when she realized he was laughing at HER.

"What's so funny?" she snarled. "You forced your way in here, what was I supposed to do? I have to try to protect myself."

"Sorry," he said, wiping his eyes on his shirt sleeve.

"No, you're not."

"Here, don't be scared, little human. I'm not going to do you any harm."

"Don't talk that way to me, goddammit."

He chuckled some more, apparently amused by her anger. That made her all the more upset.

"You say you're a friend of Virta's, but I bet you're really nothing but a... nasty old demon."

He wasn't laughing then.

He dropped the messenger bag at his feet. It startled her when it hit the floor. He probably had that huge knife in the bag, among other weapons... She took a step back.

"I prefer the term 'recently displaced angel', but yes, technically I'm a demon." His voice sounded controlled, measured.

"I knew it."

"You know, Virta's boyfriend is a demon as well. He didn't hurt you, did he?"

She shook her head.

"And Virta herself is a Fallen angel by now."

Mandi gasped. "What? Oh no. My guardian angel is a demon? Why? Did I do something to deserve this?"

"No, of course not. You're just a human. These things are above you, beyond your control."

The way he looked at her like she was so beneath him, that tone of voice that talked down to her - it made her angry.

"Because I'm a lowly human, right? You think I'm supposed to be helpless and have no control?"

He nodded his head a little. "It's true. Your kind has very little power."

"That's the kind of attitude... I don't know what you'd call it... species-ism? that will get you thrown out onto the street, buddy."

He started to speak and she knew just what the pompous ass was going to say: that it was impossible for her to make him leave if he didn't want to. She was sick to death of arrogant, supernatural jerks on power trips.

"I can't believe Virta is friends with a jerk like you."

He cleared his throat. "Is it supposed to bother me that a human thinks so poorly of me? Well, it doesn't."

She crossed her arms at her chest and glared up at him.

He went on: "I'm not used to interacting directly with creatures such as yourself. What can I say? This has all been thrust upon me without my consent. I never wanted to leave Heaven, never wanted to come down here of all places."

"You're too good for Earth, is that it?"

"I was always content remaining behind the scenes in Heaven. The human part of our... uh, projects, wasn't that fascinating to me. But Virta loved it. I just don't get all the fuss about humanity." He was peering down his nose at her again.

"So, you have a human body now. What does that make you? Could it be HUMAN?" She hoped the sarcasm in her voice was loud and clear.

"My body is essentially human, yes, but it's filled with a highly superior, angelic spirit, and not subject to all the limitations of YOUR human body. Especially since I'm Fallen, and not under any control from Heaven."

He removed his bullet-proof vest and dropped it to the floor. Underneath he was wearing a thin shirt that seemed to fit against every muscle. It reminded her of the under armour that football players wore.

He must have worried that he'd be attacked by angels and demons alike down here, Mandi thought. He came here well prepared for anything.

Despite his conceitedness, she couldn't stop herself from admiring the lean, toned body underneath those clothes.

He glanced at the pepper spray still in her hand. She hadn't realized she was still clutching it until then.

"This human body I'm wearing is SUPER human. Your man-made weapons won't kill me."

He stepped forward and she stood her ground, though her body trembled slightly at the nearness of him. He looked deeply into her eyes, and she dropped the pepper spray. But she just didn't care.

"Can I touch you?" he asked, surprising her with the gentle request.

She didn't know why he wanted to touch her. Perhaps Mandi was the first human he'd had any real contact with since he came to Earth. It surprised her more that she actually wanted to feel him touching her.

When she looked into those bright eyes, she wasn't afraid like she'd been with Heath. She was curious about what Mick would do. Hey, at least he was asking first, before he put his hands on her.

She slowly nodded.

He reached out with one finger and began tracing it down the curve of her face, then moved his hand up to run his fingers through her hair, down her face again, and on down her neck and shoulder. He squeezed gently there and began caressing down her upper arms. Mandi shivered and felt hot moisture between her legs.

She thought maybe this Mick guy wasn't so bad after all. She'd cut him some slack since he was a newbie to the planet. He was just out of his element and trying to put on a brave face. Besides, his touch was melting any anger she had toward him. Oh yes, she had definitely forgiven him.

"So fragile," he said in a quiet voice full of pity. "No wonder you need to be watched over... protected."

That's when she hauled off and punched him in the face with all the strength in her body.

* * *

Virta dropped her spoon on the floor and reached down for it. When she came back up, Athan was sitting across the table from her.

She dropped the spoon again.

"I startled you. Sorry."

This was just too good to be true. Was he really there? She blinked and he was handing the spoon back to her. She took it from him, but she still didn't speak.

"Do you want me to leave?"

Virta found her voice. "Leave? God, no. I never want you to leave again."

Suddenly, he was sliding into the seat right beside her, pulling her against his large, warm body. She had no time to react, other than to register how good it felt to be in his arms again.

"Damn, I've missed you." He nuzzled his face in her hair.

"I've missed you too," she said. "I didn't know how I was going to find you."

Athan pulled back and looked down at her. "I'll always find you," he said in a low voice that made her shiver.

Virta watched his dark eyes travel hungrily over her face and body. It was as though he hadn't seen her for a hundred years. He was still holding onto her as if he'd never let her go.

"You, uh, found the transmitter and you destroyed your place?"

"Yes."

She swallowed. "Are you angry with me?"

"No."

"Then... where did you go?"

"To see a good friend. He was hurt in a battle, but he's almost well now."

"Oh. That's great."

He began kissing her, starting from her forehead, down the side of her face, under her jaw. "I have a new place, it's all set up... for us," he murmured as his velvety lips brushed her skin.

Her mind was spinning.

"You seem so happy to see me," she breathed.

She felt his lips move into a smile. "Happy is one way to describe it."

When he pulled back, his expression was serious.

"I've been gone for years."

"It seems like it."

"No, really, I've been gone for years. To me, anyway."

"Where did you go?"

"It was another dimension. I'd been putting it off because of the feeling of time involved... and, because, I didn't want anyone to see... inside."

"Your friend, the one who was hurt... he helped you?"

"Bel gave me passage there."

"And what, you went through therapy?"

"Something like that." He gave her a squeeze. "I had to fix myself, for you."

He moved back to the other side of the table. Virta felt as if he was a hundred miles away over there. She missed the warmth of his presence.

Athan looked her in the eye. "I promise - the relic - it won't freak me out anymore."

"You're cured?"

"Well, I don't WANT a relic put on me; I don't want to be betrayed, but I have control over myself and my reactions to it, where before, I was out of control."

"You're sure?"

"You can trust me."

She sighed. "I do trust you."

She pulled the relic out of her pocket and tossed it onto the table between them.

* * *

"I'm sorry. We got off on the wrong foot, as they say. Can we just start over?"

"Let's try." Mandi was pressing a bag of frozen peas to Mick's cheek. He was sitting at her kitchen table.

"Hi, Mick. I'm Mandi. Please come in."

"Thank you." He smiled at her. "I knew if I found you, I'd find Virta. You know, her being your guardian angel and all."

She set the peas on the table as he leaned down, reaching for something in the messenger bag at his feet. He pulled out a can that was as clear as glass. Inside, she could see sparkling lights drifting through the strange, pale liquid it contained.

"That spray you used earlier... actually, we have a supernatural weapon similar to that."

He held the can out to her. "This will work against... well, against, uh... me."

She took the can from him, mesmerized by the light show inside it.

"I'm hoping you won't feel the need to use it against me, though maybe I deserve it." He lifted his hands in a surrendering gesture. "I just wanted you to have it."

Mandi stood against the counter, looking down at Mick. Really looking now that her nerves were calmer than before.

Mick had a lean, athletic build. He was dressed all in black and grey. From his boots to his sky blue eyes, and everything in between, he looked delicious.

This guy just got down here from Heaven? He was a virgin then. She'd never been with a virgin. What would it be like to be the first, to teach the guy, she wondered.

No, she had to stop this dangerous train of thought. She was looking for comfort and soothing from all that had happened earlier. She had been attacked, for christsakes, and was probably in some kind of shock.

Mick was slightly shaking, she noticed. He was afraid. The poor thing. He was a stranger in a strange world, out of his element. Maybe he needed some comfort too...

"You don't have a computer, do you?" he asked.

"What?" she was jerked from her fantasy. "Oh, no - no computer for me."

"That's alright. I just thought it would be interesting to see an old vintage model."

Yeah, he was a virgin alright. He began pulling equipment out of the bag and setting it up on the table.

"So, you brought down top secret information?"

Mick pulled a small, rectangular object from a pocket and held it up so she could see. "I need to get this into the proper hands."

He set up a sleek laptop and began plugging things into it, including the little rectangle.

"Nice computer," Mandi said. "What is that, an apple logo?"

He smiled. "Virta put that sticker on there a long time ago. It was a joke to her, symbolizing the forbidden fruit; you know - knowledge."

She smiled. "There's not much you can't do, is there Mick? You're a fighter AND a computer geek?"

He looked up, his face registering surprise. "Uh, no. Not the fighter part, anyway. I've never killed or physically even hurt anyone before tonight. I wasn't made to go forth and kill, I was just made to work in the Office."

"So this is what you did up there? Computers?"

"I'm moved through a lot of jobs over the years. But technology, computers, yeah - that was always my favorite thing."

"If you're not a combat-type angel, then why all this military gear?"

He looked down at what he was wearing and then back up to her. "Just some things I kept stashed in the closet for an emergency. I didn't know what I'd encounter down here."

He leaned forward, his forehead against his hands, eyes closed, still as a statue.

"It's been the worst day of my existence. My friends are dead. I was Banished." He sighed. "And as much as I hate the term... it feels so dirty to me, but I guess I have to get used to it... I am a demon."

He shuddered when he said the word.

Mandi wanted to put a hand on his shoulder, but she didn't. She wondered if he was surprised to be sharing his thoughts and feelings with a mere human.

"You tried to find Virta?" she asked.

"Yes. I went by her apartment first. She's not there."

"She's probably with Athan."

He went back to his work on the computer. She couldn't tell what he was doing on there. Even the graphics that popped up from time to time looked alien to her. Finally, he sat back and reached for the glass of water she'd poured for him.

"I'm sorry for barging in on you earlier," he said between gulps. "It must have really frightened you. You've been through so much this evening already. But, I thought you would know where Virta is."

He set his glass down and stared at the ice in the bottom. "And... I didn't know where else to go. I've been in a desperate state of mind since everything happened..."

"I forgive you this time," she said with a smile.

She put the canned weapon down on her kitchen counter and pulled out a chair across from him. He looked up at her and her heart quickened, her breath caught in the flare of those blue eyes. She couldn't look away, couldn't blink.

"What's wrong?" he asked. He leaned forward and waved a hand slowly in front of her face. She jerked out of her trance.

"It's, uh... your eyes," she breathed.

Mick started laughing. She smiled at the sound.

"Oh my, it IS true then," Mick said. "I guess you just never believe you've got that effect on humans until it happens to you - until you go to Earth and see a blank-eyed human staring back at you."

Seeing the confused look on her face, he explained, "Sorry, it's an angel thing."

She didn't know if she should feel insulted at being called a blank-eyed human, but other things seemed more important just then.

"I need to ask you something," she said.

"Yes?"

"Can you read minds or control people?"

"No."

Mandi sighed from relief, then asked, "But you're really strong, right? I mean, you killed Heath."

"He was already very badly wounded. I had to surprise him, although I was sure he heard me coming."

Mandi sipped from her own glass, her hand shaking slightly. She couldn't forget what a narrow escape she had tonight, and how it would have all turned out so differently if Mick hadn't shown up when he did.

"So, you just worked in an office," she said, curious for more information.

"Not AN office, THE Office."

"What is it?"

"It's everything. A control and command center for pretty much the entire Universe."

Mandi just stared at him for a moment.

"What did you do to get yourself thrown out?"

Mick set his glass down on the table a little too hard, and started rubbing his forehead with his fingers.

"We were building a case against someone up there, someone very high in command... the General."

"Who's we?"

"A small group of us in Internal Affairs."

Mandi nodded. "What happened with the General?"

"I knew we had to move quickly in our case against him. But nobody would listen. The corruption goes too high. We should have learned our lesson from past attempts to deal some justice to him."

"So all that work you did and he's still up there in power? And you and your friends were either killed or cast out?"

Mick nodded and looked down at the table. Finally, he looked up at her with wounded eyes.

"I don't want you to worry. Nothing will happen to you," he said.

"Why do you care about me?"

He looked at her like she was crazy. "Why do I care about you? I just do. Virta cares about you for one thing. And maybe it's just hardwired into me to care, at least a little... about humans."

"Oh." Mandi got up to refill their glasses. "Will you tell me more about what happened up there?"

"I was Banished and on my way to the Mines. A friend in Transit owed me big time. He helped me escape. I brought a lot of damaging intel down with me."

"Is anyone coming after you?" Mandi shivered at the thought of a legion of angels, good or bad, breaking down her door.

"They won't get to me. I'm just good at disappearing. When you have the right technology like I do..."

He turned back to his laptop and put on an earpiece. He looked very busy and Mandi didn't want to disturb him.

He must be hungry though, she thought.

She finally tapped on his shoulder.

He looked up, pulling the earpiece off.

"Can I get you anything?" she asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, are you hungry?"

He seemed to think about it, then looked back up at her. "Yes," he said.

"Well, what would you like?"

Now he frowned. "I don't know," he said, his tone uncertain.

"Have you had anything to eat since you got down here?"

"That was just a couple hours ago. No, I haven't eaten."

"You don't know much about human food, do you?"

He went back to typing on the keyboard. His face was kind of pink. Was he embarrassed?

"I'll just put together some things and you can try them out... see what you like."

He looked up again. "Thanks. You don't have to go to any trouble for me."

She assembled some food at the counter, but couldn't help but to sneak glances at him. He was really good-looking in a hot, geeky, kind of way.

"So, how old are you?" she asked over her shoulder as she cut up carrots and celery.

"Six thousand years."

She nearly spit out the piece of carrot she was chewing. "Wow," she said. "I wish you'd been in my history classes in school. I would have sat next to you; we could have studied together."

He smiled at that but kept his eyes on the computer screen.

She turned back to the food preparation. She assembled some food on a tray: Tortilla chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, veggies and dip, and some fruit.

"Wow," he said when she set it down on the table. He stopped his work and looked at what she'd done. "What is this?"

"Try it," she said.

He reached and took one of the yellow, crispy triangles.

"Dip that into the salsa. Like this." She took his hand with the tortilla chip and plunged it into the salsa. Then, she moved his hand back toward his mouth.

He bit into the chip and crumbs fell on his shirt. His eyes got wide and he began coughing.

"Oh my God, that's hot," he croaked, reaching for the water.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Mandi rolled her eyes. "Pepper spray in the face does nothing, but he can't take medium salsa," she muttered.

She helped him brush off his shirt, aware of the feel of his muscles beneath it.

When he had sufficiently recovered, she said, "Here, just stick with the other stuff. I promise, it's not hot."

12