Falling Hard Ch. 19

Story Info
Changes.
5.3k words
4.83
23.4k
23

Part 20 of the 20 part series

Updated 10/10/2022
Created 02/11/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They left the city, drove past an army base, then further out into the country. The two humans were quiet on the drive, and the only thing Virta got out of them was that their names were Harold and Joseph. She finally gave up trying to start conversation, and settled back to look out the window.

The road curved around, suddenly revealing a huge, white house on a lush, well-maintained property. The house was several stories tall, with white railing on each level. Besides the sheer size of the place, Virta thought the most impressive feature was the round portico at the top floor, which rested on four gigantic pillars. Flanking each side of the house were second-story patios surrounded by white railing. Underneath the left side was a silver sports car, and on the right side, a porch.

Behind that was a garage that she knew probably held three cars. In the distance beyond, were servants' quarters and more buildings, including a horse barn. Trees bordered the yard, and in the distance were fields, forests, and a peaceful lake. No other residence could be seen from where Virta stood.

Well, it was impressive and rich, just like she'd imagined. She thought of her small apartment back in Heaven. If this was Athan's home, she was so out of her league... but then she'd known that all along, hadn't she?

A small car with a driver waiting was parked out front. So, Athan had company. Joseph opened the car door for Virta and walked her up the steps of the stately, pillared, front porch. There was a bamboo wind chime clacking gently in the breeze. It was a familiar sound and helped to calm her somewhat. She turned, but her escort was already getting back into the car.

She watched it pull away, leaving her alone. How would she get back to the city? It didn't matter, she realized. She was going to be in Athan's arms in a minute. Then she heard the door opening behind her. She turned around, expecting to see a servant.

Instead, Virta watched a gorgeous demon step through the thick, ornate door. She was tall, with perfect, creamy skin, brilliant, blue eyes, and full, pouty lips. Luscious, blonde locks cascaded down and framed ample cleavage.

Virta couldn't take her eyes from the stunning creature. She didn't see Virta just yet because she was busy adjusting her bra. It was peeking out of the low neckline of the red dress. Virta couldn't help but follow on down the lines of the woman's sensuous, curvy hips, past the short hem of the dress, and those long, long legs that ended in a pair of red stiletto heels.

From the mussed look of her hair and the way she was coaxing the dress back around her curves, it was clear to Virta that the woman had just had sex. Virta's mouth went dry, and she froze to the spot. This other woman had just had sex with Athan. All of Virta's resolve to stop worrying went right out the window.

The bombshell walked slowly across the porch, eyes down, still adjusting her clothes, and almost ran straight into Virta. The woman looked up, and it seemed to Virta that surprised recognition flashed in her blue eyes. And then, they narrowed.

"Ooh, an angel," cooed the fake, sugary-sweet voice. "How adorable. I'm Mara. And you must be the latest conquest. Virta? Your reputation precedes you, unfortunately." Mara giggled softly.

Virta was speechless at Mara's appearance, her words, and her silky laughter.

Mara raked her up and down with laser-intense eyes. "Huh, nice outfit. Pam's doing, I suppose. Oh, and I love those shoes." Then her eyes bore into Virta's chest with a sympathetic gaze. "But Athan likes bigger tits." Mara smirked, sticking out her own voluptuous chest. "Oh well, you're fresh meat. Kinda fresh, anyway. I guess that's all that matters."

Virta couldn't seem to find her tongue, and it made her angry. She should have had enough of sharp-tongued, insulting females by now. Mara flipped her hair, then glided down the steps toward the waiting car. The driver helped her inside. Virta watched until the car was gone. Then she turned back to the door.

Now she felt foolish. Clearly, Athan had just had a special visitor, someone to welcome him back from the battle. Was Mara a girlfriend? Or just some type of... whore? Maybe his way to blow off steam after a battle? And was Virta the next one he'd lined up for it?

Rose's warning came to her unbidden: "What, you think Athan is going to change and become a cuddly little puppy in your arms? Don't be a fool, Virta. Learn from what happened to me. Even if he decided to keep you around a while, you wouldn't make it in his world. Heartbreak awaits you, girl."

Though Athan had told her a lot about himself, she really didn't know what his life was like here. A guy like him couldn't be satisfied with just one woman, she thought. In fact, I'm probably just one in his harem across the Universe. She was going to have to find a way to accept it. Plus, she was still technically his slave. She didn't think she got to make too many choices for herself anymore.

She forced her shaking hand to knock on the door. It opened, and an elderly gentleman welcomed her inside.

"He's been expecting you, Virta" he said. She wasn't surprised he knew her name. "I'm John. Athan is in his office. Please follow me."

John was formal, yet his deep, pleasant voice and warm, brown eyes were welcome and kind in contrast to Mara. He walked her through the foyer, up the grand staircase, and down a hallway to the back of the home.

She noticed a few other servants on the way. They pretended to be working, but Virta saw their curious glances. John knocked gently on a door. He opened it, deposited her inside the spacious office, and left. Virta looked around, nervous. The scent of leather, sandalwood and tobacco filled her nostrils.

She didn't see Athan at first. Her eyes were drawn past the imposing desk to the open French doors. Then she saw him.

Athan was on the balcony, sitting sideways against the railing. He was smoking a cigarette and looking out over the grounds.

She hoped he didn't hear her tiny gasp. She thought he'd never looked so good as he did right then. Her eyes took in his half-naked body - he was shirtless, wearing just pants. Even his feet were bare. Tan, smooth skin glistened in the sun. Dark, damp hair lay every which way. It was clear he'd just had a shower.

Virta swallowed. He just had sex with that blonde goddess. She felt sick to her stomach. But what did she expect? Still, it was harder now that she was stuck down here in a land she didn't know, slave to a man that perhaps she didn't really know. Her mind drifted back to the contract, then to the battlefield. Images of Athan killing angels remained in her head.

"You made it," he said. His voice was a sweet sound to her ears. Then he turned and smiled back in the room at her. Black irises gleamed from his amazing face, and his breathtaking smile caused movement inside her.

"You did too." She was surprised she could still form words.

He laughed softly at that, a beautiful melody of sound. He crushed the cigarette just outside the door and moved inside. But he stopped when he really saw her.

"Damn, Virta." Athan was a massive silhouette in the door frame, just drinking her in. "You're amazing in that outfit. Pam outdid herself."

He was at her side in an instant, holding her against him in the tightest, longest embrace she'd ever felt. When he finally pulled back and looked down at her, she was unable to speak, immediately lost in his nighttime eyes.

He seemed disheartened by her silence. In another second, he stood behind his massive desk, shuffling through things.

Virta shook her head to clear it. What had he been saying a moment before? Oh, Pam. "She was really nice," Virta said in a soft voice. "You know, it's not so bad down here."

"Uh-huh," was Athan's only reply. He seemed distracted, placing the assortment of papers on his desk into orderly stacks. "We have a lot to talk about. You can have a seat." He motioned to the chair in front of his desk.

Slowly, she sank into it, an uncanny feeling of dread welling up. He took his place in the big leather chair behind his desk. She couldn't tell from his actions or voice what was about to happen. Was she was in some kind of trouble? She thought of another time she'd been in this position, in Banner's office, after he'd brainwashed her, and before he sent her down to Earth on her mission. That already seemed so long ago.

She became aware of the ticking of a clock on the wall in Athan's office. It made her nervous, and she began to fidget in her seat. Virta looked down at the shiny, marble floor, and then her eyes moved up and around the large, lavish office.

The desk was made of some fine wood she couldn't name, and there were matching cabinets and bookshelves around the room. A liquor cabinet as well. She thought she smelled Scotch for a few long seconds, and took a deep breath. This isn't Banner's office, she reminded herself.

On the wall hung awards, medals, and certificates. She saw a large, framed picture of Athan standing next to a handsome, distinguished male demon. They were in front of a flag, and the demon was shaking Athan's hand. She suppressed a gasp when recognition came to her. It was Satan himself, alongside Athan.

Virta peered more closely at Athan in the photo. She'd never seen him in his general's uniform before. It was similar to Banner's, with all the medals, stripes, stars, buttons and cords. The color was a deep, greenish-brown, and underneath was a dress shirt and tie. He wore a hat, too. His stare was about as proud and intense as she'd ever seen it. He looked very good in uniform, she thought.

There were more pictures of Athan scattered about the office. Most weren't so official-looking. Those caught her interest the most.

In one photo, Athan was on the beach, wearing a t-shirt and jeans. By the lighting, she could tell it was late in the day. A football was poised in one large, drawn-back hand, and his dark hair was tossed by the sea breeze. A boyish grin lighted up his face. She loved that picture.

Most of the other photos showed Athan with a large, slightly older-looking man, who had long hair tied back and bulging muscles. Both men had smiles on their faces; they seemed relaxed. The apparent closeness of the two made her think they were best friends. Maybe it was Bel, whom he'd talked about before. Had Bel been in the battle somewhere in that other dimension? She decided to ask Athan later.

Her eyes scanned the bookshelves, which held more photographs. She did a double-take at the photo of a child. She didn't even have to ask who that was. Piercing dark eyes, spiky black hair, and a cherubic face with a spattering of freckles, left no doubt in her mind that this was Athan's son, Michael. He couldn't have been more than five years old in the picture.

Athan's movements at the desk brought her attention front and center. He put a hand to the back of his neck, rubbing there. "Why don't you tell me what's on your mind, Virta," he said. "You've seen some of Hell, you've seen... quite a lot today. I'm sure you have questions that haven't been answered yet."

Virta just stared back at him. She didn't want him to know her tangled thoughts.

"You have to actually tell me..." he said, encouragement heavy in his voice. His head dipped down, and he looked up at her through thick, dark lashes.

"I'm fine," she said.

Athan smiled slightly and shook his head. "You were dragged into battle, toyed with by the bastard who terrorized you in Heaven... pulled down here, and..." He took a breath and continued, "I'm sorry if you were mistreated. The guards who actually brought you down were not informed of your status. They just thought you were another prisoner."

Virta hung her head and stared at the exquisite shoes on her feet. She heard him sigh, then caught the movement as he picked up a pen. She heard him clicking it rapidly over and over.

He actually seems nervous too, she thought. Was that even possible? And was it because of her? She couldn't believe it, but Athan was... fidgety. That was a word she'd never associated with him before. Not Athan, who was always calm, cool, and in control. He'd seemed so mellow when she saw him out on the balcony after his shower... after sex...

The clicking stopped. "You want me to kill the guards?" His voice was casual with a hint of eagerness. "And the person who forgot to relay them your information?"

Now she looked up, sure the shock was evident in her face. He tossed the pen down and leaned back. His hands were clasped behind his head. His eyes were intent upon her.

"Who?" she said. "What? Oh no, no. That's OK, really. Please, no killing."

"Alright," he said. "Just checking to see if you're still with me."

He stood up, walked around to the front of the desk, and leaned against it. His eyes looked down on her with concern. "You've seen so much, been through so much... There's bound to be trauma. Do you want me to fix you?" One hand reached out for her.

Virta shrank back, not wishing to be trapped by those ebony eyes. Her hands went up in front of her, as if to shield herself. "No, that's OK. Really, I'm fine. I just didn't know what the hell was going to happen. I was mostly so worried about you."

"And that was a waste of your time. He dropped his hand back against the desk with a thud. This time Virta was off guard when her eyes flickered to his. She was ensnared until he blinked again. The grin he shot her was sexy enough to reach between her legs.

Athan moved back around to his huge chair. "It nearly killed me to see you out there in the middle of that. And I couldn't believe it." He shook his head. "Twice, I saw you pick up a sword and come to my defense." The tone in his voice let her know he was still having a hard time believing it. "Dammit. If something happened to you... I owe Mick big time." Athan picked up the pen again, and she watched him scribble Mick's name on a piece of paper.

He threw the pen back onto the desk so loudly it made her jump. Snatching up another sheet of paper, he wadded it tightly in his huge fist, then shot it into the trash can. "Now THAT was a hell dimension if there was one, huh?" His voice was as nervous as she'd ever heard it.

"You certainly seemed to be enjoying it." She paused then, catching the dark look that crossed over his features.

"Yeah," he admitted, his voice lowering. "But my excuse is, that I was made to slaughter. It's just that I have a defect."

"A defect? You? What are you talking about?"

"I'm not supposed to get tired of killing... But I do. Not tired physically, but emotionally. It's just that, when I'm actually out there fighting, the adrenaline takes over. It just sparks my nature, and I'm right back in the game."

She saw the twinkle in his eye as he said it.

"Well... I guess we all have our imperfections." She smiled at him, even breathed a sigh of relief. So far, things were going well. He didn't seem angry with her over anything. If anything, he was worried about how she felt. Unreal.

"You're not afraid? Not freaked out by what I am?"

"I know what you are," she said, her voice soft. She didn't know how to continue.

Finally, he said, "I never wanted you to go along to that other world, to see me like that... doing what I do best."

"Oh, I wouldn't say it's what you do best..." she trailed off seductively, hoping to lighten things a little.

She saw the faint smile in his eyes, which became serious again all too quickly.

Virta sighed. "It did scare me, that's true. I saw a side of you I never saw before, not in person."

"And how do you feel about me now?"

"I- I feel the same. I know you had to do what you did. I just wish the killing could stop."

"I'd pretty much be useless then."

She jerked her head up, relieved to see the wry grin on his face. "Don't ever say that," she scolded.

Traces of a smile remained while he shuffled through more papers. She thought he looked relieved. He was really worried about what I thought of him, Virta mused. She watched him pick up a large, familiar-looking document. But she had something else on her mind that was bothering her. She had to ask.

"What the General said up there... about us losing in the end. Is that true? Are prophecies set in stone?"

"If I believed that," Athan replied, "I would have given up a long time ago. He grinned and shook his head. "OK, no, I wouldn't have. But Banner and I have different ideas of interpretation."

He set the document down and walked around to her, then pulled her to her feet, caressing her hands with his. His lips moved toward her, and she met them eagerly. A firm tug had her plastered up against his body; her arms looped around him. And then, the kiss intensified. She would never be able to break free of her own power, she realized, and was disappointed when he did.

Virta's head was spinning when he led her around to his big leather chair and sat down. He adjusted himself, and then she found herself settling onto his generous lap. Her body was between him and the large desk. It was a seat of power, she realized, seeing it from this other side. Important decisions were made at this desk everyday, she thought, decisions that affected the Universe.

He cradled her in his arms, and she leaned her head against his broad, strong chest. She relished the feel of being wrapped in his masculine strength. There seemed to be no safer place in the Universe than in the arms of her own personal demon.

"I made a promise to you." He was reaching for something.

She turned to find a document in front of her, and her eyes widened when she realized it was the very one she'd signed that made her his slave. His other hand came around and tore the contract in half right in front of her eyes.

"You're free." His voice was gentle and soft from behind her.

She turned and looked up into the liquidy, dark pools of his eyes. They were shining back at her with such warmth and tenderness.

She swallowed. "But I'm not free. It has nothing to do with that document. I feel bound to you. And it makes me sad that you may not feel the same about me."

His smile faded. "Why would you think that?"

"Because you're... you're way out of my league, Athan. I mean, really, anyone can see that. You're smart, and powerful and useful. All the things I'm not. And, and I guess it shouldn't bother me, but I'm just not used to it, that you have other... females coming and going and having sex with you, and I just-"

"What a minute." His brows were crinkled together; his eyes narrowed. "What are you talking about? What other females?"

Virta sighed but looked him in the eye. "It's OK, you don't have to worry about sparing my feelings. I understand that you're someone important with lots of tastes in women and can't be expected to be faithful to just one."

That had been the hardest thing to say, but maybe she could find another way to look at it, to deal with it as time went on. Because all they had was time.

"You ran into Mara, didn't you?" His expression was hard.

She nodded.

Athan groaned and glanced up at the ceiling, then back to Virta. "She's an ex," he admitted. "She just showed up and threw herself at me. She won't be back again though."

"She's very beautiful," Virta said, her voice soft. "I don't blame you for having her."

Now Athan stiffened beneath her. "I don't believe you, Virta. You still don't know me at all? If I have no other good qualities, at least I'm honest, right? Why would I betray you? Break your heart?"

"You mean you didn't have sex with her?"

Athan hugged her back against his firm but welcoming body. "I only want you."

Virta's insides warmed and tingled at his words. It was too good to be true. She swallowed.

His deep voice rumbled against her. "I want you to trust me, completely. And I want us to be equal in this partnership."

12