Falsely Accused Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I nodded. "Are they just trying to access our systems and servers? Or is it different than that?"

"Different, sir." said Myron. "They're trying to worm into me. They've tried slipping software that would record my keystrokes and send that info out on a piggyback signal. I stopped that easily enough, but couldn't trace whoever was doing that. Since then, I've been careful, and using Dark-Web-like re-routing to mask my own access to the Internet. But then something else started happening."

"I.A. began monitoring you?" I asked.

"Not much gets past you, sir." said Myron. "Yes, just like the days when Sheriff Allgood was head of I.A. here, and was always trying to monitor me. Embarrassingly easy to spot. My question, sir, is if I should confront I.A. over this, or go to you or the Chief with a formal complaint."

"Consider this your complaint to me." I said. "And I'll have a word with Lt. Goodwin about it. But don't you confront him; he outranks you, and he's just doing his job. In the meantime, be careful." Then I said, as if it were a sudden thought: "And by the way... have you talked to your father lately? Is he having problems, too?"

"I haven't talked to him in a few days." said Myron. "I'll give him a call."

"No." I said. "Don't use a cellphone. Talk to him in person, in a place you and he consider to be safe."

"Yes sir." said Myron. "So, sir, is Chief Griswold's adage about paranoia in full force today?"

I grinned, though it was a grin mixed with concern. "Definitely." I said. "You've heard of the problems I had with U.S. Senator Russell?" Myron nodded. No more needed to be said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At the same time, a meeting was taking place at the Marriott Grande Hotel in the City. Some of the State's most powerful politicians were present, of both political Parties, working together in a spirit of bipartisanship, with one goal uniting them: the annihilation of the Iron Crowbar, followed by the destruction of the Governor of the State..

"We're very close to calling for a special session of the Legislature to impeach Jared." said Lieutenant Governor Graham Collins (RINO - Midtown), who could almost taste the Governorship. "We just need to give the State Supreme Court sufficient cause to give us the go-ahead to do it."

"He's a racist." said Justin Madoff (D - The City). "What more do you want?"

"It's not a crime, for openers." said Katherine Woodburn (D - 1st District). "And there's no proof he is one. He hasn't used the n-word or anything like that. And a lot of people are ready to take up pitchforks against us and the Media for asserting that talking positively of the Founding Fathers and the Constitution is racist."

"God, I hate the fucking Grassroots." muttered State House Ways & Means Chairman Wilson Hammonds (Establishment Republican - Pottsville). "I wish those Jared-worshipping bastards would just drop dead."

"So what do you recommend, Ms. Woodburn?" asked Lt. Governor Collins. "How do we get Jared out of the Governor's Mansion?"

"He needs to be neutered... well, I should say 'neutralized'." said Katherine, getting some laughs for the 'neutered' reference. "By that, I mean politically. We need to work together in a bipartisan way to totally isolate Jared, so that he cannot get anything done. One way of doing that is to restore the SBI to its rightful place of law enforcement leadership in this State, with Jack Lewis restored as SBI Director."

"And what do you plan to do about the Iron Crowbar?" said Richard Langdon (D - Madison County).

"Oh, I don't think you will need to worry about that." said a voice. Everyone turned to see United States Senator Samuel Russell come into the room. "All I will say... is that the Iron Crowbar will not be around to worry you, nor save that filthy bastard Val Jared. When certain... plans... are put into effect, there is not going to be any more Iron Crowbar. At all."

"Surely you're not suggesting murdering him?" exclaimed Justin Madoff.

"Of course not." said Russell. "Nobody but you would be stupid enough to say something like that out loud." Yep, Madoff had fucked up again, and Langdon was staring daggers at him (Madoff).

"No, I'm not talking murder, of course." said Russell. "That's been tried, and has failed. No, I'm talking about making the Iron Crowbar wish he was dead..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Things move quickly in the Town & County Police Department. At 3:30pm, I got a text from Jack Muscone that said "Don't come to the Federal Building today." And before I could text or call him, Helena buzzed me and said the Chief wanted to see me in the Chief's Conference Room.

In the room was Chief Moynahan, Sheriff Allgood, I.A. Lieutenant Curly Goodwin, and Town & County Inspector General Horace S. Wellman. As always, it spooked me how much he looked like his older brother, University President Sidney P. Wellman, though IG Wellman's hair was dyed solid black. But they had that same sinister-looking smile...

"Thank you for coming in, Commander." said the Sheriff. Ooooh, formality! I thought to myself. That's not good...

"What we want to talk to you about," continued the Sheriff, "is the situation concerning Internal Affairs listening in on conversations."

I just shrugged my shoulders and said "Okay."

"Commander," said IG Wellman, "I'll come straight to the point. We want you to stop using whatever device you are using to prevent I.A. from listening in to conversations in your office."

I did not let my face change nor show surprise. "First," I said, "nothing I say from this moment forward is an admission that I'm doing any such brilliant actions. And if that's not accepted, I'll call for a Union Rep right now."

"That's your right." said Sheriff Allgood.

"Commander," said IG Wellman, "we're not trying to make accusations or place blame. We just want the jamming to stop from this time forward. Your agreement for that to happen will not be construed as an admission of having done anything before. But it... must... stop."

I looked at the faces that were all staring at me. "So let me ask a question." I said. "Why now? Again, this is not an admission of anything, but I've been in that office for what, four years now? and no one has made one word of complaint about any jamming of I.A.'s bugging. Again, why now?"

"That doesn't matter." said the Sheriff. "We're talking about the here and now---"

"Sheriff," interrupted the IG, "the Commander makes a valid point. A very valid point. And the answer, Commander, is that Chief Griswold knew you were cleaning out the corruption in the Police Force, and that you were going after Pastor Westboro. Such caution on your part and Griswold's looking the other way was... justified, we'll just say. Yes, we've let it go on for too long, but we are bringing it up now, and we're just letting you know that it has to stop."

"You're not answering my question." I said. "Why now? Why are you all of a sudden so interested in listening in on conversations in my office? What is going on with this?"

"You forget yourself, Commander." said the Sheriff, venom in his voice. "We do not owe you an explanation of anything. Every Police Officer who has been hired by the TCPD has signed a paper acknowledging that they have been told that I.A. might listen in on any conversation in any Police building, in Police cars, and on Police radios, that there is no privacy at Police Headquarters. You signed that acknowledgement along with every other Police Officer, as did Captain Ross, I might add. Now we expect that there will be no more jamming of Internal Affairs listening devices. Is that clear?"

"I'll tell you what is clear to me." I replied. "You're doing the FBI's dirty work and investigating the Miltons on their behalf. It's my conversations with them, particularly Myron, that you want to listen in on."

"Did you tell him?" Allgood asked Chief Moynahan.

"Of course not." said Moynahan, looking angry at being accused.

"Well, it's true." said Allgood. "The FBI wants us to monitor Myron Milton. They believe he's gone too far in some of his data-gathering. I know I had tremendous problems with him when I was in I.A., and Curly here is having problems with him now. I have no problems at all in cooperating with the FBI to make sure Myron Milton is not violating the law or accessing data he should not be accessing."

"Well, Commander, since you seem to know without having been told," said IG Wellman, "then you understand the situation and will cooperate... yes?"

"Are you kidding, Inspector?" I shot back. "I'll just tell you right now that if you guys drive away the best data guru we could ever hope to have with this harassment of him, not to mention a valuable Vice asset in his wife," I replied, "then I will certainly have to re-evaluate my own desire to continue working with this Police Force."

"Do that, then!" thundered Sheriff Allgood. "I am getting sick and tired of your insubordination, Commander." He stood up out of his chair, and continued: "Chief, get your Officers under control. And if Commander Troy is not willing to abide by the rules of this Police Force and this Public Safety Department, then his resignation will be accepted, however reluctantly." With that, Allgood left the room, slamming the door behind him.

"Gentlemen," said the Chief to IG Wellman and Lt. Goodwin, "let me talk with the Commander for a moment." Wellman and Goodwin left, and as quickly as they could.

"Commander," asked the Chief, "is there something I don't know that I need to know?" I understood what he meant.

"Yes sir." I said. "Myron has complained that someone is trying to hack him. From what he told me, it sounds like the Federal Government at work. Then he said I.A. has blatantly tried to track his computer actions, which pisses him off. And all this coming in the wake of the BigAgraFoods investigation and Senator Russell's potential involvement with the cover-up of a BigAgraFoods employee... and now you guys are actually demanding to listen in on my office conversations. This ain't kosher, Chief."

The Chief nodded. He was silent for several minutes. Finally, he spoke.

"Commander," he said, "there is no doubt you have done an incredible job with this Police Force the past few years. I am truly amazed. I also know that you have made some enemies, and some powerful ones. There are people out there, politicians mostly, and on both sides of the aisle, that believe the Police should conform to certain ideologies, should let certain lawbreakers get away with their crimes. You don't do that, you don't play by their rules."

"Nothing new, Chief." I said, knowing I was speaking 'out of turn'... and not caring.

"What I'm getting to, Commander," continued the Chief, "is that we are under a microscope after that standoff in the Square and now the BigAgraFoods thing. The FBI has long been aware that the Miltons are too good for their own good, that they are excellent hackers that will go the 'extra mile'... for you. The Deputy Director, like Chief Griswold, let a lot of things go because he knew you were cleaning things up. But with him retiring, that's going to change... and we need to get used to that now."

"So why not just say something?" I asked. "Why put Myron through the digital Inquisition? Why insist on listening in on my office conversations? You do realize that if I really wanted to do something 'extracurricular', I sure as hell would not talk about it here at Headquarters, no matter how useless I.A.'s listening devices are."

"I do know that you could make Westboro look like a bumbling amateur if you really wanted to, and thank God you're on our side." said the Chief. "Now for the second part of this."

Uh oh, I thought to myself.

"If you are wondering why the Sheriff was the way he was with you a few minutes ago," said Moynahan, "it is because of recent events. Unfortunately, it is always political season, it seeeems. The Sheriff is up for re-election a little over a year from now. Sounds like a long time, but in reality it is not. The Sheriff will have opposition. We have word that Loran Michaels is planning to run, maybe Harold Bennett, and maybe even Della Harlow."

"I've heard those rumors." I said truthfully. Several dinners with Edward Steele, I've had. "And their plan is to attach the Sheriff to our correct actions opposing these demonstrations and riots."

"And more importantly..." said the Chief, "they plan to paste the Sheriff to your Police actions. "

"Good." I said. "He'll win easily."

The Chief grunted. "One would think so. But let me put it this way, just to show you another viewpoint: a lot of people are angry you did not arrest the EMTs on the Hospital grounds. A lot of people are angry that you dared oppose the protesters attacking President Jefferson's statue... oh, you weren't there, I know, but you're blamed for it all. Some people believe you authorize and encourage Police brutality. And they plan to make your record, the Sheriff's record."

"Furthermore, and I know this is unbelievable," continued the Chief, "some people believe Pastor Westboro was an innocent man, and that you murdered him. We have picture proof of his ugliest crimes, the molestations, but some people believe you are the bad guy and he was the victim. And now these same bozos think you ran BigAgraFoods out of Town with your, and I quote, 'bullying tactics'."

"Sheesh." I said. "So he wants me out?" I asked, not really able to understand.

"No, but he wants you under control." said Moynahan. "And I have to say that the time is coming where that 'extra mile' is not going to be acceptable anymore. I know you're not going to change, Commander, but things are changing around you. So be circumspect. Okay, get out of here. And do be aware that further jamming of I.A.'s bugs could bring heap big trouble upon youuuuu."

As I left, I realized that Chief Moynahan had said nothing about talking to Myron about the situation... and I knew that was a very bad thing for Myron.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I knocked on the door of Captain Cindy Ross, and heard her say "Come in!" Going inside, I motioned for her to sit back down as she attempted to stand up.

"So," I said as I handed her a sheet of paper and had my finger over my lips, "how's Mary doing in Vice?"

Cindy read the note, which said 'Do not use your bug-killing device in HQ again.'

"Uh, she's doing fine." Cindy said, trying to keep her voice calm. She handed me the piece of paper back as she talked, saying "She's a natural for it, and she's already cultivating C.I.s and helping plan operations."

I had brought a small ashtray into the room, and now I crumpled up the paper and set it on fire. Once it was reduced to ashes, I beat those ashes into tiny flakes as I said "Good. I'm glad she's working out."

"Don," Cindy said, "why don't you invite me and Teresa to dinner tonight? We can play with the kids, pet the dogs, and talk about some things."

"Sounds like a plan." I said. "Make it so, Number One. Consider yourselves invited." I used the bug-checker, and it glowed bright green as I checked around the ceiling light. I showed it to Cindy, whose ice-blue eyes sparkled with cold fires of anger...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dinner ended up being pizzas at The Cabin. And the attendees were myself, Cindy, Teresa, Mary and Myron Milton, and Chief Griswold.

"I talked to my dad." said Myron as we ate. "He's noticed attempts to hack into his computers. Keystroke software, all of that. He contacted the Campus Police and the University's I.T. Department, and they're trying to trace it back to whoever is doing it. In the meantime, he's taking other precautions to make sure the bogeys can't access him."

"What about his physical safety?" I asked. "Has he noticed anyone trying to follow him, or people around that should not be?"

"He tries to watch out for stuff like that." said Myron. "He says he hasn't noticed anything, but it would be easy for him to be watched while he's on Campus. By the way, he has one of those super-Alert devices in his belt and in his class ring. If the ring is taken off his finger, it goes off."

"Good." I said.

"Any idea what this is about?" asked Chief Griswold. "Is Dr. Milton in danger?"

"I hope not." I said. "But he has been no friend of the Federal Government for a long time now. And after the FBI pressed so hard to try to get me to force Myron to help them with the 'Guardians of Justice' case, I'm concerned."

"So we should tell him to be careful?" asked Mary. "And maybe watch over him when we're not on duty?"

"He won't like that." Myron replied. "He doesn't like being watched over; he's fiercely independent, that way."

"You know," Cindy said thoughtfully, "maybe I can find a way to help with that."

"Crowbar's Crew?" I asked. Cindy smiled and nodded. Chief Griswold barked a laugh.

"So what's up with Internal Affairs, not to mention the Sheriff?" asked Teresa. "Not to mention the Chief and Deputy Chief?"

"I think the Chief is between a rock and a hard place." I said. "I think he's been doing his best to take up for us and run interference for us, but when the Inspector General gets involved, it's hard for him to really do anything but say 'Yes sir, three bags full.'. That's some old military lingo, there."

"As to the Sheriff," I continued, shaking my head, "I don't know. I really don't know what's up with him. I didn't think he was the type to bend to threats or political pressure."

"I might have to disagree with you there, Don." said Cindy. "I remember how he was during the whole 'Jack Burke tapes' situation. He was scared as hell of those coming out. Melina didn't care, and she wasn't married to him when she hooked up with Jack Burke. But he was still scared... because he was afraid it would affect him politically, and might affect his future election chances."

"That's a point." I said.

"I think it's something else." said Teresa. "It's the crackdown. I can tell you that the entire Police Force, black, white, and blue, just loved it that you did not just go after the minorities, but went after the snot-nosed rich kids from County High just as fiercely. But those were the kids of the 'money people' in this County, and I suspect they've been letting the Sheriff know they and their money are not pleased with his handling of the Police Force."

"Money talks, bullshit runs the marathon." said Myron.

I grinned, then said "That is Iron Crowbar thinking there, Teresa. You may well be right about that." Teresa could not quite hide that she was pleased with the compliment.

"I believe Ms. Croyle is developing a nasty streak of political astuteness." growled Chief Griswold affectionately. "Must be that young whippersnapper she's engaged to getting her up to speed." That made Teresa smile about as much as she was going to.

The dinner party, such as it was, broke up shortly afterwards. After everyone else had left, I made a phone call, then secured the Cabin and drove down the mountain. But I did not drive back to the Mountain Nest. Instead I went towards Tanya Perlman's home.

I did a few loops and 'unexpected' turns, but did not see any signs that I was being followed. I pulled into the driveway of Tanya's home, and went to the door, which was unlocked. She was expecting me; the phone call had been to her.

"Hi, Don!" said Tanya happily, perky as ever. Her son Pete also smiled brightly upon seeing me, and readily came into my arms when Tanya handed him to me.

"Wow, look how big he is!" I said. "He's what, almost three?"

"He'll be three in October." said Tanya. "And yes, he's growing like a weed. Getting hard to keep up with."

"Pete, are you being a good boy for your mom?" I asked.

"Yeth." said Pete, who was very happy with himself for answering.