Fame and Fortune

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,793 Followers

"And?" Kami said, her eyes wide open in anticipation of the details.

"We had a very nice chat. I was pleasantly surprised, as a matter of fact."

"Surprised about what?" Kami asked barely able to believe her mom had been so lucky.

"Well, I suppose I assumed he was rather...shallow."

"Because he's so handsome?"

"Yes. Partly, anyway. But after listening to him that evening, I came to the conclusion he was maybe little more than a 'sincere scam artist'. You know, the slick-talking guy who finds a new way to say the same old thing with only one thing in mind."

"Money?" Kami asked.

"Well, yes. Of course."

Before her daughter could ask another question she said, "But as it turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong. He's a very kind, very pleasant young man who's neither cocky nor arrogant."

"And that surprised you?" Kami asked, knowing how her mom felt about men who were either of those things.

"It did. And I'm willing to admit I was wrong. But in my defense, men haven't exactly earned my trust."

"No, I suppose that's true. Between Dad and the married guy..."

"Exactly. So I was already on 'high alert' before we went, then after listening to him and hearing nothing new..."

"Mom! That is so wrong! How can you even say that?"

"Honey, I've been reading books and listening to so-called relationship experts longer than you've been alive. He packaged things very nicely, but I didn't hear much I hadn't heard many, many times before."

"Okay, I can see how that might be true. And I'm also willing to admit I was doing just the opposite by wanting to believe every word like it was written on tablets of stone or something."

Her mom laughed at the reference to the Ten Commandments then said, "Anyway, we had a very nice time talking, and well, he asked if I'd like to maybe get together again. Sometime down the road."

"Oh...my...God!" Kami said again. "PLEASE tell me you said 'yes'! Please?"

"Does this mean you wouldn't be upset if I did?" her mom asked rather gingerly,.

"No! Why would I be upset? I know he's never going to go out with me, but if he's interested in going out with my mom, then...I'm all for it," Kami said.

Jenna was about to explain their upcoming trip to Frick Park when Kami asked, "Is he? Are you?"

"Well, yes, but it's not a...date or anything. It's just getting together to..."

Kami threw her arms around her mom and said, "Oh my God! I can't wait to tell everyone my mom is going out with Tyler Montgomery. This is SO cool!"

"It's not like that, honey," her mom said even as she wondered whether or not it was. "We're just going to walk around the trails at one of the parks this Saturday. That's it."

"Oh, and I think he has a son," her mom mentioned.

"Get out of here! I had no idea!" Kami said, still bubbling with excitement.

"He's four years old ,and Tyler said he's very friendly and playful and loves the outdoors."

"I so wish I could go with you!" Kami told her.

"Why don't you? I'm sure he wouldn't mind. I mean, he's bringing his boy, so why couldn't I bring my girl?"

"No. No way. That would be so wrong, Mom. I mean, I'd love to go, but as they say, 'Three's a crowd'."

"You mean...four, right, honey?" her mom teased.

Both of them laughed then Kami said, "Mom? What if it really is a date? I mean, what if he, you know...likes you likes you?"

"Kami, sweetie. I'm..."

Jenna made a kind of wincing face then said, "I'm getting close to 60. Tyler's only a couple of years older than you. That's all that needs to be said."

"I don't know, Mom. The Prime Minister of France is about that much younger than his wife, so...who knows?"

Jenna had heard about the woman who'd been her husband's former teacher then later married him. Even in very open-minded France it had created a huge firestorm of controversy and brought a ton of criticism her way. And yet she'd still married him and by all accounts the two of them were very happy together. But even so...

"It's just two people...well, three...two of whom enjoyed talking to the other, getting together one more time to talk. That's it."

"If you say so," Kami told her, a twinkle in her eye. "I have to admit I'm very envious. Maybe even a little jealous, but for all my wild-eyed fantasizing, I'm well aware it's just that. So whatever happens, if you're happy then...I'm happy."

"So you really don't mind?" her mom asked wanting and needing to be sure.

"No. Of course not. I just wish I'd been there when he came in."

"Well, when you go back, I'm sure there will be pictures on the wall, and certainly on everyone's cell phones."

"I just have one request, Mom."

Jenna raised her eyebrows indicating she was listening.

"Can you let me know if he, you know, holds your hand or..."

"Kami! Hold on there! It's just a walk in the park. In the literal sense of that phrase. Nothing more. That's it. Okay?"

"Okay. If you say so," her daughter said again in that 'I don't believe a word of it' tone of voice.

"Think whatever you like, but that's the honest truth."

Kami got up as she was heading into work from 8-12 and the last thing she said was, "Sure thing, Mom!"

She also gave her mom a playful look, and although Jenna was still mildly concerned about hurt feelings, she felt a whole lot better after having had a brief but very open conversation about this...get together.

*****

Saturday

The weather was cool but not cold that morning. The forecast called for partly-cloudy skies and a high of 62 degrees, a perfectly normal day for that time of year.

Knowing they would be outside and that it would chilly to her, she chose a pink sweater and a white blouse to wear with a pair of jeans. She could wear so-called skinny jeans but hated the way they looked on her. Hers fit nicely without having to be 'poured' into them or ask for help getting out of them.

She pulled her hair back into a kind of flat, wide ponytail that was held in place by a wide, gold bar rather than a scrunchy. It was a slightly dressier look than just pulling it into a knot, and it seemed perfect with her outfit.

She wore a single-strand, gold necklace under the color of her blouse and was visible for about four inches or so above the neck line of the very dressy, very pretty sweater. She chose a pair of gold earrings to wear with it, and decided on a shade of lipstick that matched her pink top.

No slave to fashion, Jenna pulled on a pair of tennis shoes with ankle socks so she could walk around comfortably. She'd chosen fashion over form too many times, and putting up with her feet hurting so she could look good was a part of her distant past. Besides, she wasn't exactly 'dressing to impress' even though she spent quite a while trying to decide what to wear.

Now ready to go, she took one last look then went to sit down and wait for Tyler and his little boy to arrive. Jenna had to admit she found herself looking forward to meeting his son almost as much, if not more, than seeing Tyler again. She loved children, and especially ones that age.

It was a couple of minutes after 12 when she heard the doorbell ring. She was already smiling before she got to the door, and couldn't wait to meet this sweet little boy.

She opened the door and just as she did, she felt like she was being attacked by some kind of animal the size of a lion.

"Duke! Down, boy!" Tyler said to his black Great Dane.

The dog hadn't actually jumped on her, it had just reared up on its hind legs when it saw her. Even so, it had startled her to the point that she'd shrieked, and Tyler was trying not to laugh.

"You scared me to death!" she said without taking her eyes off the huge dog that was wagging its huge tail like a deadly baseball bat.

"He's harmless," Tyler told her. "He just gets excited when he meets someone new."

He put his arm around the dog's neck then said, "You like her, don't you boy?"

The dog barked, and that, too, scared her.

"He's...big!" Jenna said once she recovered.

"I didn't mean to scare you," Tyler told her. "I just wanted you to meet my best friend."

Jenna finally smiled then, looking down at the dog said, "It's very nice to meet you."

"Duke? This pretty lady is Jenna. Can you say 'hello'?"

She was ready for the loud, throaty bark this time and didn't flinch.

"Can I pet him?" she asked. It wasn't a request for permission. It was an attempt to make sure he wouldn't knock her over.

"Sure. He'll love it."

Just to be sure, Tyler grabbed his collar as Jenna bent down. She didn't have to bend very far, though, in order to pet him.

"Hi, Duke!" she said as she roughed up his ears. "Are you a good boy?"

He barked happily again then Jenna said, "I was quite honestly expecting a boy. As in...a small human who looks like you."

Tyler laughed.

"No. Sorry. No kids. Just my buddy here. I love dogs, and Duke is my current pal. I decided it would be best for you to you meet him right upfront. That way, if you wanted to back out, you could."

"I love dogs," Jenna told him. "I don't have one, but I do love them."

"Me, too. The love they give is unconditional."

"Unlike humans, right?" Jenna said with the conviction of someone who had personal knowledge.

"So true," he said before smiling and asking her if she was ready.

"I am," she told him. "Just let me grab my purse, okay?"

She stepped into the foyer, picked it up, then locked the door and told Tyler she was ready.

As they walked down her sidewalk, Jenna saw a very large truck and said, "You surprised me again."

"Oh? How so?" he asked as he let Duke into the rear cab.

He walked her around and opened her door as she explained.

"I didn't take you for a truck kind of guy."

He helped her in then said, "I'm full of surprises, huh?"

"Yes. Yes, you are," she said. It was a comment that told Tyler she liked the kind of surprises she'd seen so far, and that encouraged him greatly.

He ran around, jumped in, and started it up.

"Here we come, Frick Park!" he said causing Duke to bark and Jenna to laugh.

As they drove they talked. This time, the conversation was much more relaxed, and by the time they got to the park, it was obvious Tyler Montgomery was so much more than his work. He was a thoughtful, caring, funny guy who genuinely loved animals and who seemed to be ready to settle down.

He let Duke out first, but kept him on a tight leash then went around to let Jenna out.

"You look very nice today, Jenna," he finally told her.

"Oh, thank. So do you."

Tyler was wearing a University of Washington sweatshirt, a 'UW' ball cap, and a pair of jeans. He looked more like he was ready to go fishing than for a walk in the park, but Jenna actually liked the casual, laid-back look.

"Well, this is the real me," he told her. "I don't do suits unless I absolutely have to, and I don't even care for dress shirts unless I can't avoid it."

"What you're wearing is perfect," she told him truthfully.

"Thank you. And...you, too. That's a very nice look."

He smiled then said, "But you'd look good in anything."

Duke was pulling at the leash and Tyler said, "I think someone is anxious to do a little exploring. Shall we?"

"Yes. By all means," she said as they headed for the nearest trail.

There was a place for dogs to do their business, and Duke took care of it right there.

Tyler cleaned it up then said, "I've got two extra bags just in case. Full-size trash bags, that is."

Jenna laughed again and realized she was already having a very nice time. As they walked they continued talking and at one point she asked him a question.

"You mentioned in the restaurant..."

"You mean—the 'dive'?" he said.

She laughed again then said, "Ah, yes. The dive."

"Sorry. Go on," he told her as Duke sniffed and pulled then stopped to sniff some more.

"Well, you said something about it bothering you that the things you say are just common sense. Did I understand you correctly?"

"Ah, that. Yes, I'm afraid you did."

As they strolled along through the wooded path, Tyler explained what he meant.

"It's not that I don't have confidence in what I say. I do. What bothers me is this nagging voice that keeps telling me there's nothing new in what I say. It keeps saying my ideas are just the same old thing slickly repackaged."

"And that bothers you?" Jenna asked.

"It does. It makes me feel like I'm bilking people."

"But aren't they...or rather, we...willingly paying you for your advice?"

"True. And people are responsible for their actions. If they fall prey to slick advertising that isn't the fault of the advertiser. However, it eats at me that I'm some kind of phony charlatan. I'm sure that sounds completely incoherent and disjointed, but it's true, and I don't much like the way it makes me feel."

"I like that it does," she told him. "Not that I want you to feel bad, mind you. I just admire you for truly caring. Most people wouldn't bat an eye as long as the money kept coming in."

Tyler thanked her for understanding then said, "I couldn't wait to get away from practicing therapy, and when this opportunity presented itself—writing books and later touring—I jumped on it with both feet. But as time goes by I find myself less and less satisfied."

He smiled at her then said, "Maybe I'm one of those people I used to counsel who are terminally unsatisfied."

"Or maybe there's something missing in your life and it's creating a sense of restlessness," Jenna offered.

He stopped and when he did, so did Jenna. He turned to look at her and said, "You're really amazing."

"Why? Because I stated the obvious?" she asked.

She smiled a devilish smile then said, "You know, like you do."

Tyler not only didn't take offense, he laughed.

"Yeah. You've already got me pegged, huh?"

"You're not all that complex, Tyler. It seems to me you're pretty much like everyone else only with a really pretty face."

He pretended to get very serious then said as sternly as her could, "Hey. Did you just call me pretty?"

"Well, if the shoe fits, right?" Jenna said trying not to laugh.

Tyler stood there, his head slightly tilted, and said, "You really are an amazing woman."

Jenna didn't respond so he said, "And...pretty."

"Hah! Someone may need therapy himself," Jenna replied, playing off his compliment. And yet she loved hearing him say it, and that surprised her as much as anything else she'd experienced with this very unusual man, her comment to the contrary aside.

"I won't argue the point. Therapists are often as much in need of therapy as their patients."

Jenna got serious and said, "I can't imagine listening to problems all day. Talk about wearing you down."

"Bingo. And that's why I'm out on the stump selling snake oil."

His self-deprecating sense of humor made her laugh again, and when she did, Tyler said, "Did you know you're even prettier when you laugh?"

For the first time since she was very young, Jenna felt...flustered. She stopped laughing and quickly turned away.

"Oh, look! Duke must have found something."

Tyler turned and saw his dog, at the end of the 40-foot, retractable leash, digging like crazy.

"Duke! No, boy!" he said as he moved closer. "He'll be to China in no time if I don't stop him."

He'd already removed a sizable pile of dirt, and Jenna couldn't help but laugh at the big dog's antics.

"He's just a big, playful puppy, isn't he?" she asked as Duke stopped digging and showed both of the humans his dirt-covered snout.

"Yeah. He really is. But he eats like a horse. No kidding."

"Oh, I don't doubt it," Jenna said with a laugh.

"In fact, if I had a saddle, you could ride him. I mean, look at this big, silly goofball!"

Duke barked happily then jumped up. Tyler tried to back away, but he was too slow. One quick nuzzle and two big, messy paws, left the side of Tyler's face and shoulders covered in black dirt.

Jenna tried not to laugh, but it was no use. Tyler had black soil all over his right cheek up to his eyebrow, and a spot of dirt on his nose.

"Hold still!" Jenna said as she grabbed a tissue from her purse.

She reached out to wipe it clean, and that's when their eyes met. They'd met before, but this was the first time they really 'met'. She held his stare for a couple of seconds, then blinked and dabbed at his nose.

"Okay. All better," she said. "No, that's not true. The tip of your nose is all better."

Jenna realized he hadn't heard a word she said. He'd continued staring at her the entire time, and he was still looking into her eyes.

A quick glance to confirm her suspicions was followed by an equally quick turn of her head before she said, "Maybe we should keep walking or let you get home and get cleaned up."

"I'm okay," he said quietly. "There's a small public restroom just up ahead. I can go in there and wash off the mess."

As they continued their slow stroll, Jenna was very aware something had changed. She hadn't really dated in...decades...but she knew the feeling.

It was the way of the world. Boy meets girl. Girl remains skeptical until something happens. Something like...this. And then the girl sees the boy differently. And Jenna was now seeing Tyler Montgomery very differently, and she knew it had nothing to do with the dirt all over his upper body.

They didn't say a word until they got to the restroom when Tyler asked if she needed to use the facility first.

"No. I'm fine, thank you," she told him.

"Then would you mind taking the reins to the horse?" he said with raised eyebrows.

Jenna reached for them and said, "Okay, but if I'm not here when you get back, you'll know why."

"No worries. I'll come look for you."

That look was still in his eyes, and that feeling was still in her tummy. This time she didn't look away, and in spite of herself she smiled sweetly then said, "Promise?"

Jenna felt silly for having said it, and yet it was said and done.

"Yes," he told her with a smile of his own. "I promise."

Tyler was back in a couple of minutes, and other than a few stubborn streaks on his jacket, he was no worse for wear.

"You clean up rather nicely, Doctor Montgomery," Jenna said when he came back out.

"How was Duke?" he asked after just smiling at her compliment.

"He was fine. I never thought much about having a dog, but I can see myself loving one like this. He's big, but he's very sweet."

Tyler took the leash back then sat next to her.

He sat there for a moment not speaking then finally looked at Jenna then said, "I know you warned me about putting the cart ahead of the horse, but I'm hoping I can tell you something now that we've spent some time together."

That nervous feeling came back and Jenna knew why.

"I think that would be okay," she told him quietly.

"Good. I really don't want to take a chance on ruining whatever it is we might have," he began.

Jenna thought about asking him why he thought they had anything, and prior to this walk, she probably would have. But now, she too, felt there was something going on.

"You won't," she said just as quietly.

He turned toward her a little more on the park bench then said, "I've never met anyone like you in my life, Jenna. Ever. And I've never felt this way about a woman. Any woman."

She was not only listening but watching, and she could both see and feel the sincerity in his voice. She didn't say anything. She just sat and listened.

Tyler cleared his throat then said, "I really, really like you, Jenna. As in like you like you."

As she recalled what Kami had told her, a part of her wanted nothing more than for him to kiss her. A growing part of her, at that.

But the practical part of her said, "Tyler? How old will you be in three years?"

"What?" he asked.

"Humor me," she said.

"I'll be thirty-eight. Why?"

She looked right at him and said, "I'll be...sixty. That's six with an 'oh', Tyler."

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,793 Followers