Fashionably Late (For My Funeral) Pt. 04

Story Info
Now he's really angry.
11.2k words
4.72
17.3k
8

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 09/25/2022
Created 12/18/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

14

Sendi and I sat at the edge of a steamy jungle clearing in the mountains forty miles out of Medellin and waited. Our clothes were sticking to our bodies and the deodorant had given up the fight hours ago. The shirt clinging to her body took my mind off my job for several minutes.

I had checked and rechecked the camera settings to make sure that when I took the pictures they would be perfect. Under cover of the dense foliage I had set the Nikon with its telephoto lens on its mini tripod. We were tourists on a photo safari taking pictures of the many spectacularly colored parrots that lived in the jungles of South America and the developed photos in our luggage supported this cover.

***

Our journey had been interesting to say the least. We flew into Bogotá on an airliner that should have been, and probably was, pensioned off years ago. It struggled in the thin atmosphere of the high altitude, we struggled with the livestock that seemed to part of the local aviation tradition. Scant regard was taken for air safety in this part of the world and it was with a large dose of relief that we found ourselves safely on the ground.

The vehicles available to rent at the airport were equally as ancient as the airplane. We chose one of the two ancient Land Rovers that comprised the fleet and ground our uncomfortable way through the jungle to Medellin. Our journey was one of stops and starts. If it wasn't a stop to allow the ancient and tired motor to recover from the rigors of the long mountain climbs, it was to allow the local military to pull the car apart looking for whatever they were looking for.

***

We heard, before we saw, a convoy of light trucks winding its way up the rough mountain road. They pulled up in front of the group of ramshackle buildings at the edge of a small clearing that we had been watching for the last hour and a half.

The drivers got from the trucks and helped the local workers to load bags onto the backs of the trucks. I exposed a roll of film before we walked over the ridge to our waiting Land Rover. As we walked I slipped the exposed film into an envelope addressed to Ruiz back in New York. The envelope also contained a letter explaining that the film was important evidence and that he should ensure its safety and that of subsequent films that I would send from time to time.

I knew, from my research, where the trucks would be headed, so Sendi and I drove away from the drug processing plant and set up our camera in its next location. The Natividad Coffee Company was the perfect cover for the drug pipeline. Cocaine sealed in plastic packages and placed in bags of coffee beans are not likely to be detected by the usual methods, even supposing that the customs officers were conducting anything more than a cursory search. Sniffer dogs were unable to pick up the scent of the cocaine over that of the coffee beans.

Our task was to photograph the process of transferring the drugs to the bags of coffee and making sure that the photographs contained the labels on the bags for further identification.

I had thought of climbing onto the roof of the plant and taking the photos through a skylight but decided against that because I didn't have a lot of faith in the strength of the roofing material. We chose a position that overlooked the plant and gave a clear shot through one of the windows. In this instance clear was a relative situation, the window wasn't the cleanest that I had ever seen but it would suffice.

The trucks rolled down the hill to the plant. At either end of the convoy was a jeep loaded with men loaded with guns. The convoy was now valuable and protection was increasingly apparent.

The lead jeep stopped and a man stood up in the front with a pair of binoculars with which he scanned the area. I hoped that the hide that Sendi and I had taken great pains to build would pass scrutiny. It did and the rest of the trucks pulled up in front of the plant.

Many men emerged from the building and unloaded the trucks, the operation taking no more than fifteen minutes. The bags of cocaine were carried into the plant and stacked beside the bagging machine.

The coffee beans spilled down a chute, the operator stopping the machine when the bag was about one third full. He then packed two of the plastic bags of cocaine into the bag before restarting the machine. When full, the bag was sealed and placed on a conveyor. This took it to another part of the plant where it was weighed and labeled, the number noted on the cargo manifest before the bag was taken to the loading dock.

The full bags of coffee were loaded onto large covered trucks that bore the Natividad Coffee Company name. When the shipment was completed the trucks rolled away from the plant. The next stop was a warehouse on the docks at Barranquilla.

As we drove through the port of Barranquilla I mailed the two envelopes, each containing a roll of film and an explanatory note, to Ruiz.

Barranquilla had been chosen as the exit port for a couple of very good reasons. The first was that it was one of the closest to the US. The second reason was that the local customs officials had been paid well not to check too closely the bags of coffee from the Natividad Coffee Company. In a world where money talked the voices were raised.

It was just after daybreak and the humidity was still at a bearable level as we walked from the wharf. I had taken pictures of the bags of coffee being slung aboard a rather tired looking freighter and had taken the film out of the camera and reloaded it. I placed the exposed film in one of my socks so that I could transfer it to one of the envelopes in my suitcase when we got back to our car. The film in the camera I used to take pictures of not a lot in a place where there was a lot of not a lot. I reasoned that if we were stopped and the camera checked, an almost fully exposed film would raise fewer eyebrows than a new film.

We approached the car to be confronted by three men in military uniforms. "What has Senor been doing on the wharf at this time of the day?"

"I have been taking pictures of your beautiful port and the birds that enjoy their lives here." This sounded almost as bad as it was and I wasn't confident that he would buy it. He didn't.

"Would Senor like to show me his camera?" Senor wouldn't but did as he was told. The soldier took the Nikon and opening the back pulled the film from it. "Senor should be careful where he takes pictures in future."

"Senor will." I assured him. The soldiers marched off towards the warehouse and Sendi and I both breathed a lot easier.

The Columbian phase of our operation was complete, at least it would be when the last envelop was consigned and we left the country.

The next phase was to find out where the Panamanian registered Enterprise Endeavour would make landfall in the US. We reasoned that Miami would be the first port of call, given its reputation for being a staging point in the cocaine line. (All right that's a terrible pun, and I make no apologies for it either).

Our plane landed at Miami and we checked into a hotel on the beachfront. We had a couple of days to spare while we waited for our ship to come in and we made the most of it. We were the normal tourists, walking along the beach and shopping in the malls, dining in the fancy restaurants and in Sendi's case, occasionally being recognized by some avid movie fan. Most of all we made sure that people noticed us wandering around the docks taking photographs of anything and everything. When it came time to photograph the Enterprise Endeavour we needed to been doing what we'd been doing for days so as not attract too much attention.

The local newspaper contained a list of the shipping arrivals and departures so we drove to the docks and were waiting for the Enterprise Endeavour as she steamed into port, camera at the ready.

"Do they still call it steaming when ships are diesel powered these days?" I asked Sendi.

"You're stressing bout this aren't you?"

"What makes you say that?"

"Because my love, you always make some inane comment or ask a silly question when you're tense."

"You know me too well."

"I'll never know you too well and that's what makes us perfect."

We watched from a safe distance as the stevedores started to unload the vessel. The crane swung backwards and forwards over the hold and the crane hook dropped into the hold to emerge with a sling loaded with goods. We kept a watch on the slings as they emerged, trying to keep a tally of the number of bags of coffee that were unloaded. It wasn't an easy task but one that was helped a little by the long lens on the camera that enabled me to get a close up of the slings. As far as I could tell, when the unloading had stopped, only about one third of the consignment was on shore.

We walked from the shore where we were photographing back to our car. In the car I was just about to place the film in the next envelope when I noticed a familiar looking car approaching. It wasn't the same black Ford that had followed us around America before but it was similar. It pulled to a stop beside us. I just had enough time to put the film in my sock and the envelope back in my bag when the men from the car approached. They both held out ID's that identified them as members of the DEA.

"May I ask what you two are doing here?"

"I am photographing your beautiful city." I once more hoped that the statement would work. Once more it didn't. I would have to think of a new line.

"May I?" He held out his hand for the camera. Another wasted blank film waved in the breeze. "Would you mind if we had a look at your vehicle?" I minded, not that this was any concern of his.

The search was quick. Long enough to find the envelope addressed to Ruiz and to discover a small bag containing a white powder that he opened and proclaimed to be cocaine. "Can you explain the presence of this?"

"No. We rented this car no more than an hour ago and drove it straight from the rental agency to here. If, as I expect you have, you've been following us you would have realized that there is no way that we could have bought that between then and now."

"You could always have had it on you before you rented the car."

"And the drugs could also have already been in the car, or newly arrived in the car as part of an elaborate frame."

"Are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?"

"What are you thinking I'm suggesting?"

"That we are part of this devious plot to discredit you?"

"I would never think that of a loyal employee of the DEA that may or may not have had anything to do with an incident in Black Plains Texas designed to do that very thing."

"I think that you should accompany us back to headquarters."

"Are you arresting us, if so what are our rights?"

"We're not arresting you, you are merely helping us with our enquiries."

We didn't have any choice in the matter so we followed them to the DEA headquarters where we were ushered into a small room.

The two men who had invited us to attend this session were joined by two other men. "What were you doing photographing the ships at the docks?"

"I thought that it would make an interesting series of photographs. Now of course, I am going to have to take them again tomorrow and hope that the light is the same. You have no appreciation for art or you wouldn't have destroyed the film."

"You didn't happen to think that the photographs of one particular ship could be important?"

"I wasn't interested in any particular ship, just the general shipping scene." (The polygraph would have really flipped at that one.)

"The DEA is interested in all shipping that passes through this port, especially those that come from South America. Now when we see someone else that is interested in these ships we are, of course, curious."

"Of course you are."

"Now I ask you again, why were you interested in that ship?" Repetition questioning seemed to be a favored method of interrogation.

"What ship?"

"The Enterprise Endeavour."

"I repeat, my interest is in general shipping."

"Then how do you explain this?" He pushed the envelope across the table to me.

"Captain Ruiz is a friend of mine and he shares my interest in shipping. I send the film to him because he can get it processed a lot cheaper than I can."

"We are very much aware of your friend Ruiz and his carrying out some sort of personal vendetta against some people who may, in some way, be connected with one of the ships that you photographed this morning?"

"I wasn't aware of that, although I would hardly blame him after what these people did to his wife."

"We don't mind as long as he doesn't get in the way of our investigation, in fact he is doing us a favor by keeping the bad guys looking over their shoulder to see what he is up to. I strongly urge you, if you are involved in any of this, to cease and desist."

"And if we don't? That is assuming that we are involved?"

"Then we will have to take you both into protective custody."

"We will be leaving then." He made no attempt to prevent us from leaving so we left.

We flew to Hollywood and picked up the Porsche, mobility now becoming something of a concern to us. We drove to New York and checked into a hotel. There were two reasons for this, I didn't want to use the apartment in which Melissa and I had lived (far too many bad memories) and the hotel had a parking garage attached to it and a valet service so that all we had to do was to pull into the forecourt and leave the car.

Ruiz was pleased to see us. "I know where you've been and what you've been doing there, but why didn't you tell me where you were going and why?"

"Because you would have tried to prevent us from going."

"True. Where are you staying?"

"The Imperial."

"Why don't you come over and stay with us, I'm sure Phoebe will love the company."

"Because I won't be able to get a park anywhere near your place and I'm not leaving my car in the street."

"You've bought a car? What is it, a Volvo?"

"Why would you suggest that? Do I look like a Volvo driver?"

"At the moment you look like a jeep driver. I hope you're going to change that image."

"If you're going to be insulting I won't tell you our news."

"I have your first two rolls of film. While I was waiting for you to send the next roll I made a few enquiries as to who the local importers of coffee from the Natividad Coffee Company were."

"It wouldn't surprise me to find that it is a legitimate company owned by one Guido Costanzo and used as a front for his more interesting enterprises. They are waiting for a ship called the Enterprise Endeavour to arrive with the next shipment. They have already off-loaded some of the cocaine in Miami and the rest is still on board."

"I have tried to interest the DA in the concept of raiding the warehouse when it is off-loaded but his office is making noises about jurisdiction and corroborating evidence. You see until it is cleared by Customs it's officially a Federal matter and we can't just go into a bonded warehouse with guns blazing unless the Feds invite us. He isn't interested in the pictures that you sent from Columbia."

"What if we had pictures of the ship off-loading some of the drugs in Miami?"

"It's out of our jurisdiction, and also a case for the Feds. He is worried that any evidence that we have already will never be admissible in court so he isn't willing to pursue the matter too strongly."

"What if we were to wait for the drugs to be moved from the bonded warehouse to their distribution point and stop the shipment on the road?"

"We would have to get a warrant and as soon as we apply for one the word will get around and we'll miss out yet again."

"I seem to remember something called 'probable cause' that's used to prevent a felony being committed."

"I would have to build a strong case, something a little stronger than we have at present before I could use that otherwise they could claim I was persecuting them."

"You feel that the DA is under pressure not to follow up on this don't you?"

"Yes."

"What about tipping off the DEA and the Customs?"

"Part of what I want to do is to catch the links in both of those bodies and if we tip our hands too soon they will disappear into the woodwork back-filling their trails as they go."

"So what are we to do?"

"We nothing, you've done enough it's up to me now. I'll get the evidence somehow, and when I have it, and I can then present a water-tight case that will hold up in court, there will be no escape for the guilty. Meanwhile are you and Sendi coming around for dinner tonight, I know that Phoebe will want to see you, both of you."

"Of course, what time do you want us?"

"Seven for seven-thirty. Does Sendi have any preference for food?"

"She's not fussy. I hate her because she can eat anything and everything and not get fat as a result."

We caught a cab and at seven we were dropped outside Ruiz' apartment block. We walked along the passage to his door to be met by Ruiz, who was obviously waiting for us. "Hi come in." He stood back and let us to enter. Phoebe came out of the kitchen wiping her hands on a cloth. She had an apron over her dress but there was no mistaking the slight bulge at the waist.

"Hi Jason, how are you?" I got an affectionate kiss on the cheek.

"Fine and I must say that you look great. Not planning to go back to work I see."

Sendi kissed Phoebe and Ruiz. "How long before the baby is due?"

"I've another five and a bit months to go yet, I've only just started to show but I think that he's going to be a monster."

"I'm afraid that we'll have to adopt when we want a family, Jason can't father any children."

"Wasn't Melissa pregnant?"

"Yes and I'm almost certain that James was the father."

"Darling," Phoebe said to Ruiz, "Our guests must be dying of thirst, why don't you get us all a drink while I check on the food."

"Can I help?" Sendi was on her feet and walking towards the kitchen. She was going to help whether Phoebe liked it or not.

"What would you like to drink?" Ruiz asked her as she walked towards the kitchen.

"Do you have any white wine?"

"I think there's some somewhere." He answered looking in the bar fridge.

"Don't bother, I'll have a scotch and ice thanks."

He poured a scotch for Sendi, a bourbon for himself and Phoebe and looking to me poured one for me in response to my nod.

"You two seem to be getting on well." Ruiz said looking after Sendi.

"I think so. She has a much more open personality than Melissa had. When I think about it, if it wasn't for Melissa pushing me to change I would never have been asked out to Hollywood and I would never have met Sendi. So I suppose that I owe her a debt of gratitude for that at least."

"When did you find out that she had been having an affair?"

"When I found out that she was pregnant, you see I already knew at that time that I was sterile."

"If you're sterile, how do you..?"

"I might not be able to father children but I can still perform, it's the same as if I had a vasectomy."

"Just curious that's all."

"Sendi hasn't had any complaints in that area. I enjoy it better with her than I did with Melissa. Oh, she was creative and we did it in so many ways we could have written a book about it, but I had the feeling, in the end when I knew more, that she wasn't putting everything into the act. Sendi is different, she is just as creative but she does everything with feeling."

The women came out of the kitchen. "Have you got around to sex yet?" Phoebe asked.

"What makes you think that we were talking about sex?"

"I know my husband. When he and another man get into conversation the topic turns almost immediately to sex."

"We did touch on the subject, briefly."

"You know that I am a little envious of you two." Sendi said, a distant look in her eyes. "You are having your own child and much as I want a baby or several with Jason, it's not to be. Jason will have tests done to determine if his condition can be reversed by an operation or not. If there is no joy there we have already decided that as soon as we get married we are going to adopt."