Flapper Dick Ch. 09

Story Info
Men, women, the mob, a witness, and an investigation.
19.6k words
5
4.3k
2
0

Part 9 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 05/07/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
emap
emap
237 Followers

Just to be evil again I'm going to talk on one thing. Namely the phone, after cameras since I feel like it. Earlier I make mention of the police using cameras with plates, that is the earliest form of them, since 1840's I think it was.

Rolls of film was developed and used starting in the early 1900's, as in 1906 or so. Which yes means cameras got rolls of films about when movies started being made. Police do not have cameras that do that because there wasn't that much of a need. The plates are easier to work with so long as they are not left out in light. Also cheaper which shouldn't surprise anyone, police have always been underfunded in cities.

Now on to the less depressing part. Phones, now I am sure most think that telephones are all stuck to the wall and have the cone. Not true, the first stand alone phone called Candlestick, not kidding, was developed in 1919. Eight years later, 1927, there is the first handheld phone, think the regular old rotary phone.

I am saying this in relation to Western Electric since that is the information I can find. The phones are made for companies which you know as AT&T. Perhaps one can find an earlier handheld phone since there was more than one company making them. Mostly in other countries but then in the US too, generally when something is new there are several companies making it and then the lead company buys up the other companies.

**

Wake to my nose is grabbed and my head is being moved around. Swat the hand away and blink up at Audrey for a moment. Squeak then since I am being pulled out of bed and into the kitchen. Phone is shoved in my hand so get that pulled to my head and mutter hello.

"Sort of last moment but I need you to wake up. First day of trial and the defendant is going to demand to see who is accusing him. So I need you to get the witness and to the courthouse. I can delay until noon if I am lucky, but do please get her here as fast as possible." Blink some more before my brain kicks in and what he said registers.

"Is this the right fella fingered or another of the wrong fella?"

"This is the right fella, he can demand to see who accused him and that happens no matter where we are in the course of the case." Sigh and look around to find the notepad, but no pen so wave at Audrey who gets the pen.

"Alright I need the address and then at least two hours since I may not know where this is. One question, will you question her today or just has to stand there and say she is accusing?"

"I'm thinking just appear in court to be indicated as the witness. Only way to cast doubt on her witnessing is to admit he did it and explain she had her eyes closed or something along those lines."

"What is the address?" Fella groans and shares that so I am writing that down and I think I know where this is.

"Is this near the library?"

"Yes it is indeed near the library, two streets north I think, perhaps it was three."

"I should have her there in an hour, but do please try and get at least two hours delay on it." Hang up then turn to look at Audrey and stumble a little so she has grabbed my arm and guided to sit.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I just woke up and didn't get much sleep. Also something of a problem with this address, there was a shoot out over there last week." Audrey is nodding.

"Likely what you are doing is getting a witness to that very thing, five dead from it. Do you want me to get Fred up?" Shake my head.

"Fred has to work tonight and unlike me he can't take a nap on the sofa." Audrey frowns and nods.

"Are you going alone?" Sigh since I don't really have a choice, though there is one person.

"If you don't mind coming, there is a Winchester in the back seat. One or two shots from that and attackers would run away."

"So I sit in the back seat in case there is an attack?"

"Not really, you just will stay in the breezer and keep an eye out. If an attack happens you can grab the Winchester and help me shoot back, or toss to me though I haven't fired it yet." Audrey sighs and looks up.

"I'd rather we call Capone and get some fellas." I am nodding since they would know how to shoot back.

"I would rather do that too, but then north side so made men would pull an attack. We are getting a witness to something, no telling if there is a trial stemming from the shoot out already. Chances are best there is no attack on a couple skirts in a breezer getting a third skirt."

Audrey sighs and nods then ushers me to get dressed. Get in my suit and make sure the pistol is there and full clips. I hadn't remembered to fill up one clip from the last time I fired the pistol, Fred checks on them and yelled at me. So I am trying to make sure I do have fully loaded clips, though not precisely sure I need to, don't have shootouts that often.

Then we are going out to my breezer and getting the tarp off, and a lot of snow. It snowed last night which we learned about from those coming in to our work. Do have some difficulty with the road, they haven't salted yet and not sure they will on our street. Do better when I get to one of the main roads, these are salted so it's just a little wet instead of having snow of varying thickness.

Better time on the going to the address but sadly not better driving. The road is a little wet and it seems not everyone knows how to drive on that yet. End up avoiding two accidents that happen in front of my breezer, and also avoid one sliding jalopy. Audrey has big eyes after that since we are still driving, but then I am seeing the library.

Great timing on that, getting off the road we had been going on and there is an accident behind us. The fella was partly right, the right street is north of the library, but four streets. Get to the right street and turn down it to look around for the address we want. Finally find it and even get to park in front of the house, it is a fairly nice house though the one next to is a little untended.

Find there are residents of the house since there is a fella on the porch, he bangs on the door and comes off the porch. Also walking toward us with a frown so I am a little nervous on this.

"Morning doll, what brings you over here?"

"Court appointed dick, I am here to pick up this skirt since she is a witness to a case starting today and there is a call for the accused to see the accuser, which is the skirt living here, I think." The fella smiles then, go figure.

"Alright then, the accused done fired on us and she witnessed." Nod and head for the stairs up to the door.

I'd like to be asking if they sell drugs and pilfered things, but best to simply ask her on it. Perhaps simply call up the bulls and report the house. Course I'm not sure the bulls would accept me saying it is a gang house. I think they want to have illegal activities noticed. Then the door is opening and there is a skirt standing there so flash my license.

"Court appointed dick, seems the case you are a witness in is starting today and the defense is demanding that you are presented to them so I got called to come pick you up and take to court." She tosses her hands.

"I was supposed to be going in tomorrow and got the day off, supposed to work today." Frown because that is horrible, she wouldn't be paid for missing the day.

"Tell you what, at the court house there are phones we can use so you can call in and say late due to appearing in court. I'll drive you to your work after you have been indicated as the accuser. Lawyer told me that is all you are doing today." She nods after a moment and smiles.

"That works, give me a moment."

Nod and stand there for a minute then she is back with her coat on. Fitting a hat to her and it is a really nice hat, one of the bowl hats as Fred calls. This one is a nice burgundy color and then green leaves with one yellow flower. Into the breezer with us, Audrey is in the back seat, then the fella next door is coming over to my side.

"Hey if you want to have a safer drive stay on the house streets. The main roads are being used by everyone and the road is dangerous." I am nodding.

"Avoided two accidents and one sliding jalopy on the way over." Fella whistles then.

"Impressive driving."

"I went over to the dirt track and got tips from those fellas, most are working for Capone or perhaps north side in getting hooch from Canada."

"Far as I know most over there are working for Capone. Still that is a good idea so will try and get over there sometime when there are fellas."

He taps at my door and backs away so get us going and do stay in the house streets. These are not salted so it is slower going but there are not many jalopies doing the same. As a bonus when we reach the courthouse from a side road I find there is a parking lot so pull in there. It is a rather full parking lot but there is a spot so this is rather nice.

We all get out of the breezer and head around the courthouse to get to the steps up. It is a rather expansive building so this will take a while. Sort of good since I want to ask on the gang housed next to her.

"Before we get inside, what can you tell me on the gang next to you?" She is quiet for a moment then shakes her head.

"Not really a gang, they don't sell drugs."

"Do they sell belts and suspenders out of that house?"

"No, there is always one or two fellas there but they don't sell anything. Honest it is their club house I suppose and they are mostly doing things elsewhere, but no collecting drugs and such. They do attack gangs that are selling drugs, why they got shot at."

"Five dead so I think they had guns of their own." She is nodding.

"They shot back but it was a rifle and a couple revolvers."

"Odd, the house sort of yelled gang here and then a fella sitting on the porch says the same thing. But then if they had been attacked they would put more there in case it happens again."

She is nodding then we are going up the steps to the courthouse. Right over to the guard standing there and he smiles at us.

"Do believe we are invaded by skirts." I snort and he is grinning.

"Got woken up with a call about needing a witness for his case, so this is the witness but I didn't think to ask which room." Guard snorts and shakes his head.

"Also no license so bad dick." Groan and pull my license out. "There we go, alright you want to go up the stairs and turn to your left, the second door is the right courtroom. Be glad the prosecutor had the bailiff come and tell me. If he hadn't you would have to run to ask the clerks. I will mention you are close to running late so go on up there."

Sigh and lead the way, the witness muttering about being late for work. Still we do hurry a little up the steps, which is harder than it sounds the steps are sort of narrow. Turn left and two doors to open the door and we are greeted with a courtroom that is filled, along with reporters. Know there are reporters since there are some flashes.

Makes it hard to see but do get her over to the gate to get into the courtroom proper. Get met there by the bailiff and one of the lawyers, I think the prosecutor.

"Talk about cutting it close, the judge didn't want to give me much time on it." So this is the fella that called me.

"Be glad we made it, avoided two accidents and almost was in one due to a sliding jalopy. Stayed in the house streets to get over here so went slower in the snow."

"Definitely glad, and do please stick around, there is supposed to be a patrol here to assist on security." I am nodding as the witness is lead into the courtroom proper by the bailiff.

"She is working today so I promised to drive her to work after."

He is nodding then paying attention since the witness is being sworn in. Look around and Audrey is sitting in the back, a fella has scooted over to give her room though not really enough. Also no other places to sit until the reporter sitting right here gets up and offers me his seat. So sit with a smile to him.

Course the fella had a reason to get up, he is leaning over the gate to take a picture. Likely gets a good one of the skirt getting sworn in. Easy to tell since she is standing there in the witness stand, learn that is what it is called by the prosecutor calling it that, hand high and one hand on a bible. The reporter is taking notes rather freely as the prosecutor talks.

At first I am thinking he is not going to ask the witness anything, he is simply talking about the shootout. Then he does ask the witness a question, on if the shooter she had seen is in this courtroom. She is nodding and says twice, she didn't say it loud enough the first time, that the shooter is indeed in this courtroom and then points at the fella sitting with the other lawyer, the defense attorney.

Reporter is saying this as he writes it down so I am learning new things. Suppose it is good since I am a court appointed dick and will be called on to do this more. Perhaps anyway and then Fred did mention that we may find ourselves attesting to things we learn if we get a case where we do investigate and not just shoot fellas.

Which sounds so good to me, I don't really like shooting fellas. Then I have to pay attention since the defense attorney is talking to her now. At first it's odd questions, like if she was on any drugs or drinking hooch on the day in question. Then he asks if she is sure she saw this fella since he has witnesses that attest to him being somewhere else at the time of the shooting.

Seems to be surprising to the fellas watching since a lot of gasps and some muttering. The judge bangs some and calls for order in the court. Then the defense attorney is making a motion that is a little surprising. He is asking if I can be sworn in to attest to what I saw picking her up. Prosecutor looks at me then, so shrug to get a grin.

Judge allows so the witness is excused and I am getting sworn in. Then the prosecutor is getting up and walking over to where I am.

"Since I am sure most of the courtroom doesn't know who you are, please enlighten us."

"Well since you all heard my full name already I will skip that part. I have been known as Speakeasy Betty, though don't go to speakeasies anymore since I am a waitress in one. Now I go by mostly Betty, and sometimes flapper dick since I like to tell people that's who I am. I am one of the two court appointed dicks." Some whistles and clapping that the judge bangs to quiet after a few seconds.

"Since the defense has asked you to testify as to what you saw picking up the witness this morning, please share with the court."

"Let's see, on the drive over I witnessed and avoided two accidents and one sliding jalopy just to get to her house. At her house the next door over there was a fella sitting on the porch there. He hopped down and was asking what I was doing there. To be honest I figured on a gang house and asked your witness about them before we got inside. She swears they don't sell anything from the house. Also mentioned that when there was the shootout they returned fire with a rifle and some revolvers. I know most gangs sell drugs by hanging around under train stops, but they also sell from the porch of their gang house. So I am unsure on it being a gang but will talk to the bulls, they will have a better idea on it since there was a shootout right there."

"Do you think it is a gang?" Frown now since I rather think perhaps they are not.

"I am undecided, I have seen gang houses before and this has the same look. But then the gang houses they sold things from the porch. She swears they don't sell drugs or anything else from the porch, so perhaps they sell from under a train stop, but sort of doubt that. If they were selling drugs they would have the dough for Colt pistol like I have, along with it seems like every gang member I have seen."

"So it is not a gang?"

"I can't say either way, will have to ask the bulls since they would be seeing the fellas in this perhaps gang. Not to mention investigated the shootout at the perhaps gang house. I will mention that if I am unsure on it being a gang, a gang would be positive it is a gang. I was also told that this perhaps gang attacks the other gangs so that is definitely gang like."

Prosecutor nods and says he has no other questions and sits down. The defense attorney stands up, then goes through a notepad so I guess I answered some of his questions.

"You are not sure it is a gang?" Shake my head.

"I don't know if it is a gang, it looks like a gang, but mostly doesn't act like a gang so it is rather odd. I can't be making a decision on it either way until I ask the bulls."

"So you will be investigating them more?"

"No, I will either go over to the station and ask the desk sergeant or stop if I see a patrol and ask him. I am unsure on if I saw enough to warrant a raid happening which is all I know to do when I see what looks like a gang house. If the bulls say it is not a gang then I will leave it alone."

"So you want to shoot up every house that looks run down?" Open my mouth then close it to look up then toss my hands.

"I don't remember saying that. Here I will say it better, gangs are not good for Chicago, they shoot at other gangs, sell drugs even though only heroin is illegal, and then tend to pilfer things from stores like belts and suspenders to sell. So because of gangs belts and suspenders cost more, along with everything else in the stores since they have to pay for what is stolen. Addicts are getting drugs that have things added so there is more of the drug, but less when you take what you just bought from a gang. So lesser quality of something that besides one drug you can get from your doctor, which also perhaps will kill you since the gangs don't have a chemist, they just add whatever they have."

"That is wrong and you know it." The defendant yells standing up and pointing at me.

"I don't know it since I don't do these drugs we are talking about. I like a good stiff martini, what I just said on gangs is what the bulls told me so if it is wrong they have it wrong, but I doubt it."

About half the courtroom is clapping now, and the judge is banging away. Keeps calling for order in the court which he has besides the fellas watching. The defendant was grabbed by the bailiff and shoved back in the chair. I think bracelets got fitted to the fella and the chair he was shoved into. Some more banging then the courtroom gets quiet, which is the order he wants I think.

Defense attorney has no other questions for me so I am excused. Prosecutor is smiling at me, do ask if the witness can go now. He is nodding and says she can, but does want her back tomorrow. Nod and collect the witness, then Audrey. Out of the room we head for the stairs down, there is one thing I need to ask about.

"Do you need to go use the phone or just get driven to work?"

"Work will be fine, will be a little late but they allow for that."

"Alright, and prosecutor wants you back tomorrow, though I half think the fella is convicted." She is nodding with Audrey.

"You did more to say he was there than I did, the whole thing on gangs was lovely. Also made me want to try a stiff martini." I am smiling about that, I want one too, then a bull is coming in the courthouse so I head for him.

"You are a north side bull right?" He is nodding and looks me over.

"You must be the court appointed dick."

"I am and want to ask, her house is next door to what looks like a gang house, fella on the porch even. She swears they don't sell out of the house so I want to ask you bulls." He frowns for a moment and looks at her.

"Over by the library?"

"Yeah, four streets north of the library is her house and what looks like a gang house."

"Yeah we don't know on them either. Looks like a gang but even if a patrol goes through their pockets there is no drugs."

"Makes you wonder how they have dough." Bull is nodding.

"We don't know, suspect that perhaps they are bootlegging or getting drugs to sell to other gangs. Can't prove it and then they deny touching drugs anyway. Bootlegging I would believe, but hard to catch them at it if we don't know where there is a distillery."

emap
emap
237 Followers