Flapper Dick Ch. 17

Story Info
Men, women, the mob, and three investigations.
20.8k words
4.91
3.5k
2

Part 17 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 05/07/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
emap
emap
237 Followers

Wake to the alarm upstairs, and Brianna being rather upset. Just lie there for a moment wishing it was next year and she can walk around so less crying loud for food. Groan when I realize next year she will be talking, mostly yelling about being hungry. Standing at the foot of the stairs I am pondering if I should hand her a cookie before breakfast or just make sure it is done fast.

Unsure on that so I better ask Audrey, I mean she will be where I am now next year so I will do the breakfast then. Not that I do right away, I leave her alone while she is grabbing out things to make breakfast with. Omelets today which sounds good, along with Malt O Meal and hash browns. Not regular hash browns either, she got the flour out so we are having hash brown patties.

I am smiling a little while I am standing there holding Brianna while she sucks. When she finishes I am on toast duty so set her on the table then over to do the toast.

"Is it wrong to consider buying a second one of these?" Audrey snorts and glances over at me.

"If we had more plugs I would say buy three more." Snort myself, though we could hire an electrician perhaps.

"I am thinking two is enough, I mean there are four of us now, next year Brianna will want half a slice."

"True, though how are we going to handle her walking and talking?" Sigh since I have no idea myself.

"No idea. Some of it will be determined by her anyway. Still I am stumped on breakfast. I mean when she is no longer needing me for milk I think she will be yelling about being hungry."

"I don't remember that far back either, maybe we better ask Liza. Simon may know too, he has younger sisters." Nod and then frown since one thing came to me.

"We may want to have him collect one. You are helping Kelly design clothes for the store so we will need a nanny." Audrey frowns for a moment then shakes her head.

"No for one simple reason, I can do a design and then call up Kelly, she will visit and pick it up. Otherwise I wait for you to get home and go to the store to drop it off. Fred is always here until a little before six so he can mind our kids for a little while."

This is true so nod and we go back to making breakfast. Not that we are not almost done anyway. In almost no time Simon is sitting at the table and we are taking the plates to it. Newspaper is passed around and I get the middle section today. So entertain myself by talking about all of the new things in the advertisements.

Get them both laughing since I am being silly in this. Brianna is even cooing and claps her hands together which is new. It is a rather grand time at breakfast, mostly because my little girl is growing up. She can hold on to light things and wave it around for fairly long times now. So play with her, Audrey helps, Simon even does until he is going to work.

Would leave Brianna to Audrey so I can take a shower except I feel like cooking something sweet. So we talk about it for a little while, first thing was no cookies. I don't have a problem with that, we mostly have been making cookies anyway. So some back and forth on it until finally we decide on brownies.

Frosted brownies even so that is sounding rather wonderful. So we collect the pans we have to make brownies in and after more talking I mix up enough for all of the pans. This is a lot of brownies, and I don't want to have this many sitting around the house, Fred is heavy enough. Audrey giggles plenty at that, but agrees so we prepare a plate with cuts of brownies.

I can take that to the office with me, leave it on the secretary desk in the front room. Won't last past the lawyers coming in I am sure. Rest almost goes on the platter, though four cuts won't fit. Which is a problem so rework the plate and fit two more on. Last two we can't fit on the platter or plate, so grab one.

Audrey grabs the other so we enjoy a brownie together then get Brianna into the sitting room. Leave her playing with Audrey to take a shower. Shower finished I am into our bedroom to get dressed and get out the pink suit. Not worn it in a while so wear the pink suit with purple shirt and blue scarf. Stepping back into the sitting room I notice the windows are darker than should be.

Can't hold back the groan and go open the door to step out on the porch. Looking at the sky it is dark and getting darker so we got a storm coming. Not wonderful, but not all that surprising either. Collect the plate of brownies and stuff into a paper bag then I am collecting my trench coat and umbrella.

Luckily Fred had gotten an umbrella stand, mostly because we all have an umbrella now. Audrey doesn't really need one but Simon bought her one anyway, and we have a small one for Brianna to use. Which was funnier than Audrey getting one, Brianna can't walk yet after all. Fred had simply said the clerk suggested he get one for her now.

Not precisely a bad idea, then I am climbing in my breezer. Didn't even bother to bring the top down, the storm seems to be coming in fast. Clouds at least, no telling when the storm will actually happen. Only problem with Chicago storms, clouds come fast, everything else can take a while sometimes.

Sadly the winds are present up in the big buildings, makes driving difficult. Mostly because there are four accidents just on the stretch of street I go down to reach the office. Had seen two more before then, one on the bridge due to a wind gust. Still I am doing good enough to reach the office and park without getting in an accident.

Plate is set on the secretary desk with paper bag collected. Go to our office then realize nobody will touch the brownies unless I am there when they come in. Hat, trench coat, and jacket go on the stand then I am back into the front room. Also realize I didn't bring a book, not that I am stuck here all day, so simply sit down and plan on leaving just a bit before lunch.

"Damn, you had the same idea I did." Keira says standing there with a plate in her hands, gets me to giggle.

"I felt like cooking something sweet. So we talked about it and first thing was no cookies. So brownies and these are frosted, never done that before but darn good."

"I would imagine so, and here I was feeling good at frosting sugar cookies, not done that before."

"You get up with him and then sit there for a couple hours?" Keira is nodding, gets us both to giggle.

"Did try out that shoofly pie, that is rather good." I am nodding and wink.

"Buy a cookbook or two. I grew up helping Mom cook, over the summers I would be helping her make pies and cobblers." Keira is nodding then shrugs.

"I learned how to do plenty, it's just making him breakfast and then sitting there got old so I started to cook." Has us both giggling then fellas are arriving so we are telling them one each.

Plenty of grinning too, and they are collecting a cookie and a brownie. Secretary shows up so we share with her on one each. She promises to give us what is left later so off to our office with us. Sit around a little longer then we are getting the reports. Not that he leaves right after, stays there just looking at us.

"What's wrong?" He shakes his head but doesn't leave, then his mouth opens.

"I'm thinking I will get a second desk in here. Perhaps can fit a third, do know there is a third dick, though according to what I have been told he won't be coming in." Shake my head then shrug.

"I'm unsure on that, he makes more than we do as a bimbo. Perhaps at some point in the future he will but two desks is enough. A third desk means we all hear what everyone is saying." Keira is nodding, the lawyers ask her to come to his office when they want her to check a case out and I am here.

"Will take a day to get it here most likely. I contact a warehouse to get the furniture, means they always have the things I am asking for, but limited trucks so it is not that day that I get it. There is one question, facing each other or spread you out so across the room for the other desk?" I'm unsure on that so look at Keira who is frowning too.

"I think across the room. That way the lawyers will simply sit in the visitor chair and detail their case and reservations here. We will sit at this desk for the reports still." He is nodding then puts his hand up.

"Will get you a desk with typewriter like this one, I will also get two name plates. Perhaps will mean there are reports left in your inbox the lawyer wants looked over." I am nodding then shrug.

"I'm pretty sure they will call us at home if we are not here. Mr. Crowe knows where I play tennis at."

He snorts and leaves us there so we dive into the reports, got six today so slow week really. Also good because it had picked up and stayed busy until this week. Read the report on a murder, with a pinch, hoping it stays slow for more than last week. Reads good and I don't have any reservations on it, mostly because the victim was checked out too.

After the last one where I had to get Dad to help me find the right guy they all have been checking the victims and have a section of it in the report. Darn good idea to check the victim, though I wasn't thinking I would be seeing the report on it, even when the victim isn't minus a jalopy or something.

Then I am looking at the accident report and there are plenty in here. Most of them are bumping into another jalopy because of the wind or pulling onto the street right in front of another. Reading this I realize, there are more because there are more looking. As in there is a new group checking on accidents, also notice a trend.

Most accidents in this are happening where there is not a light. Mostly because the big buildings are not all on one street. If it was that would be easy, the traffic lights set up through the whole street. Since it is not the lights have gone up in places where folk have died, or lots of accidents except the bridges.

Not that there is a cross street on the bridge, but there are plenty of accidents. Mostly from jalopies darting around those that are slower than wanted. There is one part of this that is surprising, there is mention of adding traffic lines to the bridges. Good idea really, there are cross walk lines at the lights for those who don't simply dart across in the street.

Find the next report is another murder so read this to find it is done good. This time the pinch was gotten because of checking the victim. Suppose means it is good I was asked to look into that last one that the victim wasn't checked. Another murder after that though no pinch yet, mostly because of no witnesses.

Unsure on us being able to find one either, this time the fella was done with a knife and nobody heard anything. He was found by the neighbors noticing he didn't go to work. Which means someone came in the back door and offed him. House was not ransacked, at least not fully so the killer knew him and wasn't after money.

Sort of screams not a gang killing so best leave that to the bulls to figure out. Last report is on a robbery, with witnesses. No pinch but there are witnesses and according to what this says, they said a specific person but no pinch. Rather odd so hold on to this one, will go talk to Mr. Crowe about this report.

Pass the secretary bringing our plates to our office, I am going to talk to Mr. Crowe. Pause and collect a brownie, and cookie then on to his office. Knock and come in to squeak and turn around, he is fiddling with his lap. Then he is chuckling so glare at him and go sit.

"Suppose you are still coming in at knocking." Snort and nod since he wasn't really doing anything, at least I hope not.

"You already said you don't handle yourself here. Suppose I couldn't complain even if you were, so long as you don't in front of me." Mr. Crowe snorts and shakes his head so hold out the cookie and brownie.

"I already had my one of each." Grin and shake my head.

"There is about a third of each plate left, so enjoy one, I get the other." Surprised when he takes the cookie.

"She made frosted snickerdoodles which is better than sugar cookies."

"Making me wish I hadn't given you one. Will grab another later, I bring you a report. No pinch but there are witnesses that say it was a person." Mr. Crowe is frowning with me now so hand over the folder and enjoy the brownie for a little while.

"I agree this is puzzling, no report of named fella being gone or nothing." I am nodding then shrug.

"I am unsure on the detective talking to the witnesses. They don't always show up fast after you get patrol to a crime scene."

"I have commented on that before. It was always not enough space for more detectives. I do know there is a location for a new station being looked for." I am nodding and wink since I had suggested it in the first place.

"I had suggested it in the first place. I am sure it's not being looked for only because of me, but definitely needed." Mr. Crowe is nodding.

"Back in twenty three with the new mayor I had suggested it, I mean before it got this bad on having enough detectives and patrol. Mayor had gotten back to me to say that there isn't funding for it. I'm pretty sure it is happening now, in a relative manner, because it is so bad the newspapers are talking about it." I am nodding, there had been an article on it yesterday.

"Wish the problem with violence was because of so many people moving here. Mostly it seems to be the young men deciding they should join a gang instead of finishing school."

"Number of the pinches that come in to talk deal have been young. I'm unsure on if they think they will make more dough in a gang, or wanting to experience shoot outs." Groan since I never thought of that one.

"Entirely possible it is, and making me glad I have a daughter." Mr. Crowe snorts and shakes his head.

"I had two sons, lucky me it was before all of the gangs. When they were growing up it was only a few gangs over all of Chicago. Anyway go on and check that out."

Hop up and collect the folder then head for outside. Do stop and collect a cookie first, I haven't tried one of her cookies yet after all. Snickerdoodles that are frosted sounds good to me. I am enjoying the cookie when I get to the door to outside to find it is sprinkling. Happy with leaving the top up on my breezer I finish the cookie and get the trench coat on.

Climbing in my breezer I go over the report again to get the addresses I need. Unsure on going to north side station I go anyway and step in to the station. While I am getting the water off my umbrella a pinch comes in with a patrol manhandling him over to the desk. Sergeant is getting over there and two skirts have hopped up to help.

Not that anybody gets there fast enough. The pinch rushes at the desk then twists to lose the patrol. Which he does so he is now rushing for the door, still got bracelets on so I'm not sure what he is thinking he will do. Debate for a moment stopping him then dart closer and kick his leg, as it is swinging forward to take another step, so the fella is now falling instead of running.

Perhaps rushing is a better term, he didn't get that many steps in so can't call it a run really. Not that he is lying there, he is working on rolling over to get up. Not easy to get up with no hands but he seems to be working on it. Patrol gets there so fella kicks him between the legs, I wince in sympathy as the patrol falls back.

Fella freezes next since my pistol is in his face now. Had pulled it quick and cocked as it is shoved into his vision. He gulps when I take the safety off and settles down to stare up at me. Sergeant gets there with two skirts. All three work on getting the fella up and manhandled off leaving me to check on the patrol.

Leaning over him I find he is rather young, also curled up rather far. Wasn't sure a fella would curl up that far after getting kicked there. Suppose I didn't want to know that either since he is still in pain, at least his face says he is. So sit next to him and pat him on the shoulder, gets a snort out of him.

"He got me where it counts." Snort myself since I knew that.

"I noticed, I've experienced worse pain, but I wouldn't know how much worse giving birth is."

"I would hope it is the same level, though according to Ma that is the worst." Nod and look at him since he talks a little funny.

"Where are you from?" He sighs and moves slowly to be sitting like me.

"Boston. We moved here five years ago, Pa was transferred in his company, was a raise at least."

"Raises are always good. Going to guess you are living north side." He nods and puts his hand up.

"I am living with my folks still in north side. We have gone south side to enjoy the barbecue, though I admit the lack of cheeseburgers is odd." Snort and shrug.

"Not real sure why that is, though I would believe because most of south side makes less. Cheese on your hamburger is an expense and not everyone can afford it, so they don't offer." A sergeant hunkers down with us.

"Your pinch isn't talking but we have found his wallet so we got the important things. Will mention you don't run at the legs when they are on their back like that, pinch or not." Patrol is nodding and winces.

"I didn't think about that, needed to catch him. Will remember what happens when you run at the legs from now on though." Sergeant snorts and holds his hand out to the fella, so that is grabbed and both stand up.

I get a hand held out to me so grab that and get up so collect my umbrella. Then pulling out the folder to read that quick and up the stairs to the detectives. Looking around I only find five of them in here so I don't think I will find the one handling this case. Still yell it out and nobody moves for a short bit then one waves at me so over to him I go.

"Most of us are out talking to folk or at a crime scene. What's your beef?" Hand over the folder to him.

"Got this in the reports today and there is a fella listed as seen but nothing else so I am thinking the detective didn't notice that." Fella is going through the folder and nods a time or two.

"If I remember this right he never managed to get to the crime scene, he got this one and a murder. He is out running down the murder since most of the time a robbery there isn't anything to do." Sigh since I don't blame him for going after the murder.

"Not blaming him, though I get the feeling he never looked at this, very likely he has a pinch ready to happen on this." Detective is nodding and looks up for a moment.

"I'd say go collect some of the raid crew except I think we got one lined up. Suppose we better go talk to Captain and let him figure it out."

Nod so he stands up and we both head for where the captain has his office. Another hallway with other offices in it then we get to the right one. Knock and go on inside to find this captain is not all that old. He has gray in his hair but mostly on the sides, makes him distinguished instead of an old bird.

He is looking me over as I sit in the first visitor chair then the detective is handing the folder over to Captain. He goes into that for a little while then looks up with a frown. Short report so there wasn't a long wait.

"This isn't a good report, are you complaining?" Shake my head and wink.

"It seems your detective has a pinch waiting to get picked up. He didn't look into this one on account of had a murder same day. I'm not blaming him on checking the murder over and ignoring this one. Do blame him all in one since he should have at least looked at this report." Captain nods and shrugs.

"Mostly I am glad you told us to dig in the backyard for things, I looked better sharing the idea with the rest. You mostly only go over our cases."

"I looked over one for south side last, and Keira does these more often. I think mostly because she is not a new mom and goes to the office more often." Two snorts in the room.

"Probably, is there a plan on this?" Shake my head.

emap
emap
237 Followers