Flash of Sunlight

Story Info
Flash Story - End of it all at the lawyer's office.
2.5k words
3.92
52.8k
20
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vanadorn
Vanadorn
404 Followers

A flash story as promised, something in direct opposition of the longer tales I had been posting to date.

More flash stories will follow in the days to come.

Take what you will from them and leave your votes and comments behind.

-V

*****

Ken tapped the free end of his pen lightly against the dwindling stack of papers before him; the worn cuff of his sport coat stained slightly from pages he had spent the last hour leaning against. While Audrey's attorney continued to ramble on, he took a despondent look around the conference table.

Edward Sokaloff's balding head reflected the cool white fluorescent light like some fat, lawyerly looking lighthouse. The thin crown of graying brown hair rode from one temple, around the back of his thick skull, and ended at the opposite temple. His skin had the Florida tan going for it; no sign of flakes or burns. Made Ken realize that his attorney had most likely spent some of his retainer and additional fees on another "important business conference" to Tampa late last month. Unlike his own clothing, his lawyer's suit definitely did not come from the Men's Warehouse and from the look of it, his watch wasn't a Timex either.

Ms. Pengrass, Sokaloff's legal assistant, sat next to her boss, the flinty edge of her gaze fixed unerringly on Ken's soon to be ex's lawyer. Ken had never heard her first name, assuming that until she amassed enough billable hours, Edward Sokaloff wouldn't give her one. Easily fifteen years his attorney's junior, she had a longness to her face and odd distending of her fingers that made Ken think of her as some sort of horse. She never smiled, never laughed, never showed any emotion. It was like having a wood carving in some fun house mirror sitting at the table.

Feeling the back of his shirt slowly sticking to his sweating shoulders, Ken flexed his muscles and tried to shift his weight. It felt faintly like wet paper sliding away, but he eventually was able to relieve some of the uncomfortable sensation. It was hot in here, real hot. Did Audrey's attorney do that on purpose?

Lenny Lionel, now there was a man who just oozed "ambulance chaser". So many documents had been sent to Ken's apartment over the last 2 years that he could have papered the 750 square foot shit box and still had enough to warm the homeless in their burn barrels. His hair was dark brown and oiled back, most likely with the grease of dozen slicked palms. His too perfect mouth of 70 or so teeth and that thin moustache that yelled out, "Hey, look at how macho I am!" completed the picture. Bastard wasn't sweating in the afternoon heat. Most likely because of the ice water in his veins.

His flicking gaze settled on the last person at the table. Audrey Carrington nee Halwood. That bitch. After today, no longer the need for the Carrington or the nee anymore - just Audrey Halwood.

For all of his disgust, he had to admit, she was a good looking woman. A few inches shorter than him, honey brown hair, perfect features, button nose, nice shape. He should know, he'd been with her for 11 years. Eight of them married.

Five and half of those happy.

She had her eyes down at this time, looking over the same papers in front of her. But he had caught her a few time looking longingly at him, trying to catch his gaze. All Ken had to do was keep his eyes fixed on the blinds covering the window behind her and make believe she wasn't there.

Harder to do that he thought.

His attention was snapped back at a lull in Lenny's long winded diatribe; the silence punctuated only by the labored breathing of the pea soup that was supposed to be air in the room and the faint clicking of Ken's pen. Tap, tap, tap.

"Totally agree with you, Mr. Lionel," Sokaloff interjected, hoping to keep the other smug fucker from going on and on and on. "But at this time, all other avenues have been exhausted and it is time to have these two hurting people sign off on the Stipulation and let them go on their way." Thank you, Ed. That alone was worth another trip to some Floridian golf course.

Lenny's grin was fixed under his Magnum PI 'stache, but Ken could feel that the chatty fucker wanted to keep talking and was bothered that his speech on Audrey's behalf was most likely interrupted on page 46 out of 73. "I understand, Mr. Sokaloff. However, Mrs. Carrington was hoping to have Mr. Carrington agree to another ten sessions of counseling with Dr. Aboff."

"The Carringtons have already had 23 sessions with Dr. Aboff, eight more than originally required and from the counselor's reports, he doesn't see any reconciliation as a possibility at this time."

Audrey's lawyer nodded. "True, true. But that is at this time. And they did already go for more sessions than the judge had required. Perhaps that is something that could be further looked at as some chance in the future?"

Ed caught the hard line of my clenched jaw and gave a single nod. "No. No further sessions. They would be a further drain on the Carringtons resources and will not change today's decision."

Lenny gave a theatrical sigh, glancing at his client's down cast face and her welling tears. "Very well. Let's spare these two any further heartache then and get this wrapped up."

Seriously, who the fuck was he kidding? Two years, two fucking years this bitch has done everything she could to keep me from just getting free from her and today her lawyer will finally throw me a bone? Thank a fuck a doodle, buddy.

Sokaloff mopped his forehead dry (or at least less sweaty) with a handkerchief and motioned to the papers in front of Audrey and I. "We'll take it from the top then. Marital home."

"Mrs. Carrington remains in the home until their child, Tyler age 6, reaches 18 years of age. At that time the home is sold and proceeds split 50/50 between the two parties."

"I want to remind you that Mrs. Carrington is still responsible for 50% of the ongoing mortgage and utilities."

Lenny nodded his head and glanced down at his pages. "Too right. Also, not common, you know."

"Maybe. But in this case it's fair. Both parties work and have similar salaries." Yeah! You tell him, Ed! Fucked up I have to pay for the fucking house that I didn't want and aren't going to live in, but this was one of the points I wasn't going to bend on.

"Moving on, then," Audrey's attorney was still peeved over that one, obvious that the bitch was under some impression that I would shoulder the whole fucking thing. Not a chance! "Investments and retirement accounts. Both parties will keep theirs in their own name."

"Agreed."

Lenny ticked off another line. "Existing accounts are to be split 50/50. I have a check here in Mrs. Carrington's name for $3,716.82. Represents half the savings and checking accounts combined as of April 11th this year; written by Mr. Carrington on that same date." I hated like hell writing that check. Besides Audrey living in the house, I had to giver half the money in the accounts.

"Noted also that at that time, all the joint credit cards had been paid off with the Carrington savings before the accounts were closed." And that's why I felt cheated again. Almost ten thousand in fucking credit card debt and most of it was hers. So yeah, we split what was left, but most of the damned debt we had was hers.

Including the fucking motel charge I caught that started this crap over two years ago.

"Spousal support."

Sokaloff held one of his fat sausage fingers up. "Reminder counselor, there isn't going to be any."

Her shark smiled and bobbed his head good naturedly. "Yep. I have it noted right here. Child support though, that is still a factor."

"The Carringtons have joint custody of Tyler, however residential custody resides with Mrs. Carrington." Ed took another deep breath, trying to ease out the rest of this part of the stip. This was the biggest shit part of the entire deal for me, more so than the fucking house. "Mr. Carrington has agreed to child support for Tyler to the tune of 22% of his net income. He will also carry Tyler on his health insurance and continue to deposit $25/week into the 529 plan that the two of them set up on their child's first birthday."

I glanced at Audrey, willing her to burst into flames as she sat there like some damned statue. Cold and beautiful and I hated her. There was a glow though about her; some sort of radiance that had been building as the afternoon crept on. Fueled from the faint gaps in the blinds behind her, the slowly setting angle of the sun was bathing that...bitch.

Lenny picked up the back and forth, probably hoping to hear the sound of his own voice for the umpteenth time today. "Mr. Carrington will be allowed alternating weekends with Tyler starting on Fridays at 6 PM and lasting until Sundays at 5 PM. He will also be allowed two dinner visits per week from 6 PM to 8 PM. Everything else will be alternating holidays and birthdays with the schedule to swap between the parents each year. Fairly standard stuff."

After today, I would no longer to just go to my kid's room and tuck him in. Couldn't just go to the yard and toss the ball around. Sit down on the couch whenever I wanted and watch SpongeBob or Sesame Street.

Every other Thanksgiving I would not be having it with my son. Every Christmas I would not be hanging up that facocked damned tree in our living room. Crap, I have to get a new fucking Christmas tree, don't I? Easter? Every other year I can look forward to hiding eggs and shit.

And who do you think is going to be doing to driving back and forth at 6 PM and 5 PM for weekend pick up and drop off? Not the delicate and punctual Audrey; not if I want the opportunity to see my kid on time. She was 40 minutes late for our fucking wedding for fuck's sake.

But when it came time to show up for a bit of afternoon delight with her damned lover, she sure as hell was on time.

I couldn't even look at her directly anymore. Not only because she disgusted me. Not only because we were finally getting a divorce. Not only because she fucked around on me and still couldn't give me the decency to admit that it had gone on for at least three months. Not even because she dragged this out for two plus years trying to get me to stay with her after she got caught.

But because I was now going to be like too many of the dads out there...I was going to be a part-time father for my fucking kid. Every other weekend and two fucking dinners. Thanks, bitch. Mother Theresa probably was looking to have lunch with you. Damn you.

That damned glow behind her was getting stronger and more focused. I could imaging the sun's rays angling just right as it worked its way towards the horizon; struggling to shine against and through the slats at just the right time.

"Alright then. That covers pretty much the major parts. It's all spelled out in the stipulation before you both. There is some legalese afterwards and other notes and details, but after this and you both sign, we'll file it with the State and that will bring an end to the marriage. I'll make sure that a copy is sent to Mr. Sokaloff for you Mr. Carrington. But at this time, unless someone wants to change something, I'll need you both to flip to the last page and sign under your name where indicated."

I tapped my pen one final time and turned the 50 plus page document over, peeling the back page forwards and scrawled my name for the god knows how many'th time today with a flourish on the top black line there. I then flipped it back and sent it across the table to Audrey while she did the same for her copy. Demurely she turned over the stip in front of her with her signature on it and gave it to me with a small push. Squinting in the light, I pulled the second packet closer and repeated my actions.

Ms. Pengrass earned her buck by taking the time to notarize both copies after verifying we had signed them as required. I tried to focus as she squeezed her seal on the back of each page but the glare was getting brighter. Edward Sokaloff stood up and took both notarized copies from his aide and offered one to Lenny Lionel. "And that is that. We'll have this filed tomorrow morning. Mr. Carrington? Ms. Halwood? This concludes this marriage and for all intents and purposes, you are both divorced. My best to both of you."

I had to close my eyes and turn my head as the sunlight finally found the perfect gap and hit me in the fucking face.

"Oh, Ken."

I covered my gaze with my free hand and looked at Audrey and her concerned expression. It was hard to look at her with that damned sunbeam lancing into my cornea, but she had tears running down her perfect face. "I'm so sorry. You know I didn't want this, honey."

Fuck. She thinks I'm upset? I pushed myself upright, the sun no longer scouring my pupils. Wiping my face I gave the woman who had loved me, betrayed me, refused to let me go, and then took from me a hard blurry look. And then I turned to my lawyer and his aide, shook their hands briefly, and walked out of the room.

I strode towards the front door, past Lenny's big-titted receptionist, and emerged into the brightness of the afternoon sun. I stood letting it bathe me, soaking into my hair, my skin, my clothes.

And in the warmth of the day, I left and headed onward to live my life.

Free.

* * *

Good afternoon. This is Rich Hoffman with your News 12 Hyper-local forecast. Today will be unseasonably warm with temperatures in the high 80's, slightly lower near the shore. Doppler radar shows no rain on the weather map but the high pressure situated over western Pennsylvania will keep the humidity near record levels. UV Index is a 9 so use plenty of sunblock as you can get a burn in 15 minutes. But this afternoon will have nothing but beautiful sunshine so get out there and enjoy it any way you can.

Vanadorn
Vanadorn
404 Followers