Fonda and Clark

Story Info
A love story.
7.8k words
4.69
17k
4
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

CHAPTER 1

The taxi pulled up outside the all-white Fulton Mansion resplendent with light blue doors and shutters and harmonious architecture. The sole passenger Clark Fulton jumped out when seeing his departing sister-in-law about to enter her parents' Mercedes and called, "Hey, Fonda, wait up."

She turned and Clark was dismayed at how lined the face of the 30-year old blonde was and she'd also had lost weight. He'd last seen her two years ago when she'd married his elder brother Jack.

"Oh hi Clark. Home for your mother's fifty-fifth?"

"Yeah, and I've come ashore. Life drilling for oil off the Corpus Christi coast in the States is not as good as the money."

"So I've heard."

"Do I get a kiss?"

Fonda appeared embarrassed. "Clark, obviously you haven't heard..."

"Get in and close the door Fonda, " shouted her father. "We're out of here."

Fonda's father leading lawyer Austin Daly accelerated the car away and Clark turned and paid the cabbie who'd unloaded Clark's luggage.

The front doors were open and Clark entered and the scene in the library disturbed him: something more like a wake than a welcome home greeted him. His father was handing his handkerchief to his mother Nancy who was weeping and Jack was just finishing pouring two hefty whiskies. The three of them looked very unhappy.

Jack looked up and saw Clark and said, "Christ" and pulled out another whisky glass from the cabinet. Archer Fulton turned and said, "Hello son, welcome home."

Clark's mother looked at him and began sobbing.

"What's up?"

"We have just been pushed to the limit on agreement to settle the dissolution of Jack and Fonda's marriage," said his father. "Come join the wake."

"Marriage break-up? But why?"

"Because your brother acted the asshole, unable to stop running with other women."

"Shut up mom."

"Don't speak to your mother like that," his father yelled. "Apologize damn you."

"Sorry mom," Jack said, not bothering to look at her. He handed his father his whisky and carried two glasses to where Clark was standing.

"But why?" Clark asked sounding bewildered. "Fonda is one of the nicest young women I've ever met."

"Stop blaming me."

"But I do."

Jack put the two glasses on the table. "You know nothing. Apologize."

"No."

The defiance was understandable. Hardened from drilling work and recreational fights and bar-room brawls ashore, Clark was no longer afraid of older brother, who was larger-framed.

The slap across Clark's ear rocked him but he continued to eye Jack.

Jack snarled, "Apologize damn you."

"Go to hell."

With the marriage break-up trauma bottled up, Jack threw a punch. It caught Clark heavily on the left shoulder, swinging him around. Clark, a little off balance, clubbed both fists against Jack's neck.

Jack dropped onto the floor, missing furniture, and groaned.

Clark picked up his whisky to walked over to his gaping mother and kissed her. His father's gaze was quizzical as they shook hands and he repeated his earlier greeting, "Welcome home son" and added, "Don't you think you ought to help Jack to his feet?"

"No way."

There was silence as they watched Jack haul himself to his feet. "Sorry Clark, I just lost it."

"That's okay. Just watch what you say about Fonda in my presence and avoid threatening me."

"Sure, not problem. Well good health, here's to pleasant family life."

The brothers chose to sit next to each other at dinner as if to avoid facing one another. The pre-dinner conversation about the family business and what Clark had been doing for the past two years continued.

"You never wrote me," complained Nancy.

"What do you call emails?"

"Not letters."

"Just replying 'Things are going well here and everyone is fine' told me nothing."

"Well I find tapping out personal information on a computer too impersonal for my likening."

"Update mom or you'll be left behind like your parents."

"They have their interests keeping them busy."

Clark laughed and said what, looking into space or looking at the same flowers three times a day.

Archer growled, "Don't be disrespectful."

"Keep out of this dad. You never wrote or picked up a phone."

Archer frowned.

Jack asked, "Are we being punished?"

Clark thought about it. "Well in a manner of speaking yes. If I'd known your marriage was deteriorating I could have come home and tried to help you get it sorted."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

Jack said darkly, "Clark shut up. You don't know what you are talking about."

Archer snorted, "Could you both shut-up. I'm sick of hearing about this marriage failure and it has cost me $1.5 million to settle with fucking Austin Daly on behalf of his daughter."

"But why? The divorce settlement is Jack's responsibility," Clark said. "I imagine your natural health remedies business would have been outside the pre-nuptial agreement."

"It was, but after the wedding I handed Jack the distribution side of the business because he wanted to go out on his own. He and unexpected flair from Fonda saw their company grow spectacularly with the marketing side managed by her winning new customers by the truckload."

"And so Fonda's entitlement was assessed at a million bucks?"

"No," said Nancy. "The offer was $750,000 , the counter-claim was $990.000 and the arguing became increasingly bitter until three days ago Archer said enough, the Daly's could take the Fulton's to court and argue it there. Your father received further legal advice and was urged to settle for no more than $1million. He decided to settle it himself and today invited the Daly's over to lunch and the outcome was Austin Daly out-played your father who capitulated at $1.5 million."

Archer glowered, "Austin was squeezing more and more about Fonda's claims on future profits."

Clark rubbed an ear. "But surely her marketing initiative at winning new clients must have slowed after almost two years?"

"It had," said his father. "But there was no way I could get Austin to accept that. He claimed that was because she was spending more time managing the business because her husband was away so much of the time whoring."

"Archer!"

"Well it's true Nancy. Although he didn't quite use that word it's what Austin meant."

"Listen guys, it's only money and dad you have saved me being dragged through the court and humiliated. Now that Clark has been briefed could we drop it?"

"Why did you whore on her, one of the most beautifully spirited women in the world?"

"Shut-up. You ought to try living with her."

"Too much of your intellectual superior eh?"

"Boys, that's enough," Nancy said. "Any conversation relating to that unfortunate marriage and the name Fonda Daly-Fulton is banned in this home."

"Yes mom."

"Okay Nancy."

"I can't agree mom."

"And why not?"

"That demand is unreasonable. Prohibition orders on contacts are given a time frame that has to be reasonable otherwise the courts will not accept such a provision on the basis that nothing is forever, although they have not set the fixity of finite periods."

"You are speaking like an attorney," his father yawned.

"I've completed a degree while being in the gulf to avoid tedium and lining up to hump the female personnel charging exorbitant fees."

Jack laughed and poured more wine. "My god, dummy has gotten himself a bachelor's degree."

"Actually it's a MBA. I studied on-line to increase my chances of finding a good job in business when I came ashore, which is now."

"B-but why didn't you..."

"Crow about it mom? I didn't really think you guys would be terribly interested as in recent years everything has focused around Jack. That's what drove me away in the first place. You remember dad when Jack graduated from university he was given a position in head office admin. When I graduated I was offered a job in one of the plants."

"Which you declined."

"Yes, and I wonder why dad? Rather that test us both equally to determine who should be your eventual successor you simply positioned Jack on the conveyor to take him to that position."

"I wanted family expertise in plant operation."

"But you weren't prepared to talk to me about it and listen to me about my needs and aspirations."

Archer drained his glass. "Well there wasn't room for both of you to be in admin."

"What gave you that idea dad?"

Everyone looked at Jack at that comment and then at Clark when he said, "Thanks for that Jack. I'm not looking for a job in your outfit dad, so don't worry."

His mother said, "Well all that is interesting, very interesting. What finite time should I place on discussion about the fateful marriage?"

"I don't agree to a ban and you should be attempting to teach Jack what a wife would expect of him. But in deference to you I'll not discuss the marriage or tell you what a fine woman I think Fonda is. I'll be out of here in a few days when I have found somewhere to live."

"Shack up with Fonda if you think she's that wonderful; she's renting an apartment."

"Jack!"

"No, let him speak his mind mom. Let him get it out of his system. Banning discussing is the wrong way to go."

After dinner in the fading early summer light the brothers took the two Irish Setters for a walk.

"Bro, your ex will be going through a difficult time. It's bad enough for a guy but worst for a woman because women and guys tend to shun a female divorcee or any woman who is about to gain that status. I'd like to contact her."

"You won't get your shaft into her; she's very particular. But if you do you'll have no problem with me."

"I wasn't..."

"Put her number into your cell phone now. Are you ready? I wonder how long I'll remember it?"

"For a finite period."

They laughed and Jack slapped his brother on the back, not too hard.

Late that night Clark made the call. Her 'Hello' sounded sleepy.

"It's Clark, sorry to wake you but I couldn't wait till morning."

"Oh Clark." He heard the voice brighten. "How did you get my number?"

"Off Jack. I asked him for it straight out and he gave it to me saying no problem. Let's try to avoid speaking about him again."

"I'd like that."

"I thought you would."

Fonda laughed. He gauged it was almost a giggle but thought that was over-expecting. He'd have to take this slowly.

"I'm sorry I couldn't chat this afternoon. Daddy was in command mode."

"So I've heard but we are talking now. I'd like to see you."

"When?"

"Now."

There was a lengthy silence. "I've just shifted in here; I'm living alone. Daddy would kill me..."

"I need somewhere to stay. Here is not good."

"Ohmigod, daddy WOULD kill me."

Clark said softly, "You could think fuck daddy. How would your mom take it?"

Fonda sighed and said it would be quite a test for her. "Mom has told me it was you I should have married. She'd seen you looking at me when you arrived home for the wedding."

"Oh?"

"Yes and don't you lie to me. I caught your carnivorous glances at times."

Clark whistled, "Carnivorous glances?"

This time he really heard a giggle and she sighed and said his easy and irreverent manner was so good for her.

They talked for another few minutes and then he said, "Well I better let you to catch your beauty sleep."

She said she'd like to return to feeling free and beautiful. "I mean beautiful in spirit."

As Clark opened his mouth to say goodnight she gave him the address and said, "Come now. Bring everything with you. I'll open the remote lock when you press my buzzer outside the entrance. My apartment is very small and needs redecorating so don't over-expect."

He went to say was she sure he should stay the night, that she was taking a big risk but she cut the call.

Clark resolved to stand by Fonda.

* * *

Standing at the open doorway Fonda heard the elevator come up and stop. She was standing at the doors as they opened. She stepped in and kissed Clark firmly, knowing she had to do that to eliminate awkwardness between them.

"Jesus."

She smiled and grabbed one of his carry bags and said, "Follow me."

As she closed the door Fonda began to feel embarrassed, thinking he'd want to fuck her straight away. She had been in bed but had dressed again to greet him. Oh well, she sighed to herself. She knew what men wanted and like it or not she had to give it to him and walked over and hugged him and kissed him.

To her surprise he pushed her to arm's length.

"Fonda, let's not rush this. You are possibly reacting to try to kill rejection. I don't wish to take you on the rebound. This is not the answer. We need to talk and give ourselves space. I'd love you to want to associate with me as a lover but I want you to respond when not under pressure."

"You are gallant."

"Well only for your benefit. If we are to develop a much closer relationship I don't want the focus to be on sex."

Fonda nodded and said very wise. "But I want you to know this. When my marriage began to crumble I too thought I'd married the wrong brother."

"Thank you sweetheart. I'm glad you told me that. It will speed things along."

"What's the hold-up?"

"First we need to find the reaction of your parents."

"Okay and so until then you won't sleep with me?"

"Correct."

"Then I'll make up the daybed, that sofa folds out."

"Fine, let's do it and then while I shower you can try to go back to sleep."

"Will you allow me to jump in with you in the morning?"

"Yes, of course. But you know what not to do?"

"Yes," she said shyly. "Not to seek sex, at least for the time being."

Clark couldn't believe he'd turned down the opportunity for sex. But he knew it was the way to go to ensure she wasn't left with the feeling she'd gone to him on the rebound. He recalled from the first time he'd seen her, two days before the wedding, feeling he could fall for her. Then seeing her in her wedding dress, looking like a princess, he felt his heart had been stolen. Occasionally there had been a woman he'd felt the hots for but this had not been like that; he'd just wanted Fonda and wanted her to want him. End of story.

The great need was to learn her parents' reaction because he couldn't bear to drive a wedge between Fonda and her parents... well her father perhaps, but not her mother. If Veronica Daly refused to accept him entering a deep relationship with her daughter then that was it; he'd just disappear.

Clark opened his eyes and looked straight into blue eyes.

"You have very green eyes," she said. "I was wondering what color they were.

The sheet was over her shoulder. "Are you wearing something?"

"Yes panties, do you wish me to take them off," she giggled. "I have been beside you for at least half an hour. I finally awoke you breathing on your nose. I wanted to feel if you had a morning erection but felt you'd growl at me."

"Damn right."

"Aw, sweetheart. What's in a touch between friends?"

"Just the thickness of your panties."

She giggled. "I feel heaps better now that I have you. I must shower. You might like to prepare breakfast for us."

"Sure, bacon, eggs and peas?"

"Oh yuk. A small pot of yogurt and one piece of lightly toasted bread."

"Okay and then what?"

"What do you mean and then what?"

"You mean that's your breakfast?"

"Of course. Do you want me looking like a balloon?"

"Well perhaps if I'm not working I should have what you have?"

"No, if you plunge off your normal breakfast you could easily begin binge eating later in the day. Just cut back gradually and not too much. There's a gym across the street; it takes casual patrons. A lot of tourists stay in short-stay apartments around here."

Clark in the process of consuming two poached eggs and four slices of very crisp toast asked, "Where do you work?"

"In the pre-break-up trauma I lost my job, being identified as being emotionally unstable, so I now work in the library of dad's law partnership. I was tiring of being day manager at the Western Hotel anyway and find this new work far more interesting. I manage two juniors who run the archives with me. They scan and enter files and I supervise the accuracy of their work."

"God, how boring."

"I agree. I lie to myself that I find the work interesting. I fact is I'm bored mindless but I do need some stability in my life right now so I'm hanging in there. What do you propose doing?"

"There is the possibility of going into business with you. I heard about your windfall."

"Oh yeah, are you trying to get your hands on it?"

"With your agreement, your total agreement, yes."

Fonda smiled and said that was being honest. "So you wish to buy a boat and sail me around the world, calling in at exotic places?"

"What with my share of money from my paternal grandparents' estate and working long hours on oil drilling work in the Gulf of Mexico, I have $1,320,000 to invest. If you matched that we'd have enough to purchase a small business or to buy into a business needing capital or to take a big step forward and find a guarantor and borrow big to go into bigger business."

"Oooh, great options but Clark, while I've had a great couple of years in marketing I don't have business credentials; my degree is in psychology."

"Well that gives us an interesting mix. I have negligible business experience... just enough to satisfy my course requirements. I possess an MBA."

Fonda said she was impressed but the reality was they would not be good prospects for a huge loan. Clark disagreed and said the nature of the business could influence the lenders.

She went off to ready for work and a little later kissed him and left.

Ten minutes later there was a knock at the door. Clark opened it and was face to face with Austin Daly.

"What the hell are you doing here? Where's Fonda?"

"She left for work only minutes ago. Coffee?"

"I want my question answered."

"I replied, you and Fonda must have just missed one another outside the building."

"No, not that. I also asked what are you doing here?"

"I'm living here as from last night. With Fonda's consent."

"Like hell you are."

Adopting his best smile Clark said, "Please Austin sit and have coffee. As you can see that's my bed on the sofa. Is this apartment yours?"

"No, I'm paying the rent though."

"Well if this set-up doesn't suit you I guess you could rent us a two bedroom unit in this same building but Fonda would have to approve. I can't speak for her."

"I'll speak to her and get this unbelievable mess sorted. I believed we had severed our links completely with your family."

"Well allow your daughter to speak for herself. Now are you going to sit down? If not you can fuck off."

Austin grinned. "You're rather more upfront than your brother. His tactic is to smile and to leave you not knowing what to believe."

"Well your descendants could have plundered fur seals but I don't hold that against you."

Austin smiled and sat and asked where was his coffee. "That was rather a smart deviation."

"So it's not true?"

"Very smart."

Austin took a call while Clark was pouring coffee.

"Yes I know Veronica. Unbelievable isn't it?"

"No I won't have the punk killed. Christ Veronica, you've been watching too many TV crime shows. These days we just hire a thug to break the punk's leg only in this instance we may need to hire a couple of thugs."

"How do I know darling? Because I'm sitting in your daughter's apartment and the punk is fetching me coffee after calming me and negotiating like a pro. He's not at all like his brother. I'll call you later to let you know the outcome. If I'm a no-show for dinner call the cops. Veronica, calm down. That was supposed to be a joke."

Austin took the coffee and waved away milk and sugar. "That was the mother, all upset after being told you have moved in with her beloved Fonda."

"What mother wouldn't be upset?"

Austin sipped coffee and nodded.