For Silence's Sake Ch. 04

Story Info
Discovery about Emmanuel, Continuing Upheaval
4.9k words
4.72
12.4k
11

Part 4 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/01/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KemMyst
KemMyst
1,302 Followers

Dear Readers,

Happy New Year to all. Was just reading an older email - thank you for your encouragements.

Chapter 4 up. Not much sex here but the story must move along.

Enjoy this next installment,

KemMyst

*****

Lyssa's head was nestled in the strong shoulder of her mate. She stretched and felt him move beside her. His hand stroked down her side as she shifted in the bed and groaned.

Her muscles ached. Her hair felt tangled. [Lys?] The room stank of sex and her breasts were swollen, somewhat painful. [Sweetheart?] She wrinkled her nose at the slight tang of what smelled like sour milk.

She slowly opened her eyes to the milk chocolate eyes of her mate, looking down at her. "How do you feel?"

She stretched again. "Tired. Hungry." And then she tensed as she picked up the fainter scent of their son. "Em!" She sat bolt upright.

"Sh, sweetheart. The pack has been keeping him occupied. He's been sleeping with Emmaline but he really misses his Mama. Ariel is bringing him up."

"Ariel, why?" She was starting to tear up.

"Madeline is in heat and Ariel is the one who told him he had to stay out of the room."

Lyssa put her hands over her face. "Oh, my poor baby."

They heard whining and a couple of excited yaps. [Ready, Betas?]

[Yes, Ariel.] The door opened and a small furred form shot into the room. In his haste to get to his parents, Emmanuel lost purchase on the floor and slid until he hit carpet. Emmett suppressed a snicker; Lyssa punched him in the arm. Scrabbling up, he launched himself onto the bed and into his parents' arms.

They kissed and hugged the now-pink little boy who kept whimpering and repeating, "Biggirl woof say no." Lyssa cradled her son, soothing him, as Emmett's arms encircled them both.

It took a while for him to settle down. He clutched his mother and whimpered as a knock was heard at the door. Emmett ruffled his short, brindled hair. "That's just food, Emmanuel." He got up to get the tray that had been left at their door.

Lyssa's stomach grumbled as the scents reached her and Emmanuel giggled at the sound. "Think that's funny?" She put him on the bed, tickled him, and blew a raspberry on his belly while Emmett set up the food.

"Who's hungry?"

"Mama!" Emmanuel shouted, giggling again.

Lyssa picked him up and walked over. They sat and ate, Lyssa offering her son tidbits. Emmett ate like a starving man. Lyssa smiled and yawned. She groaned as she rose, setting Em beside his father. "What's up, mate?"

"Sheets." Yawn. "I should take a shower."

"You shower, I'll get the bed."

"OK."

"Mama seepy?"

"Yes, Emmanuel, we're going to take a nap."

"Me, too?"

Emmett touched his nose. "Tonight, you can sleep with us. Tomorrow, you go back to your own bed. OK?"

"K, Daddy."

Lyssa came out to a game of peekabo with the bedsheets. Emmanuel was between the sheets, in the middle of the bed, laughing every time his father lifted the sheets to expose him. She kissed Emmett. "Thanks."

She slid into the bed as Emmett went into the bathroom.

When he returned, Lyssa was propped up on the pillows, gamely trying to keep her eyes open as Emmanuel suckled.

-------

Emmaline still had someone to look after. Although Madeline was currently in heat and Emmanuel was happily settled again with his parents, there was another pack member out of sorts.

Actually, Thomas was in a foul mood.

No one quite knew what to do with him. He snarled when someone looked at him crossways. Wade sent him out for supplies and was astonished that the request was met with bared teeth. Emmaline followed him into the garage.

"Will you speak to the Alphas?"

"They have been busy of late, mate. I'm not sure it's warranted."

Natalie looked at his mate, and sighed. She'd give it a couple of days.

-------

The following day Randall called Calvin Ross. It had been some time since he'd seen his friend. It would also give him a chance to see an old packmate.

They had several days before the full moon and Calvin was happy to hear from him. He invited Randall over for lunch with the following remark, "I do have something I'd like to discuss with you."

As he placed the phone in the cradle, his mate looked at him. "Sampson?" Calvin nodded. "Discussing pack matters?"

He reached over to her and she took his hand. He held it close and breathed on it once before kissing it. Calvin then looked up into jade green eyes. "Things have changed so much since I was young. And, now, my lovely mate, we have a pack council. We have a changed human leading it. We are cooperating more than ever, conspiring to save our kind." Stephanie blinked at him and he clasped her hands between his. "This is for the happiness of one of our pack, little one."

Stephanie leaned over and he closed his eyes. She kissed him on the forehead and then pulled away. She had to check on the clothing inventory. They were very hard on clothes.

-------

Pauline had finally had enough of her son's moping.

She found him in the Great Room, grabbed him by the ear, and hauled him off to one of the small meeting rooms.

"Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Stop."

Pauline let go, turned, and put her hands on her hips, glaring at her son. "I've had enough. I hate seeing you like this. You found someone. Make the call."

He felt like a pup, couldn't look his mother in the eye. He clamped his mouth shut and shook his head.

She looked at her son, how miserable he was. She couldn't stand to see him in such pain. Tears came to her eyes as she stepped forward to pull him into a hug.

Phil held on for dear life, feeling his mother's love for him in her arms. After a couple of minutes, she held him away and looked at him again. "Oh, baby, why can't you?"

He didn't know how to explain but Sampson had been so worried about them being together. "It's complicated, Mom." Emotion colored his voice. "There.. there could be trouble."

"So, it's not that he doesn't like you?"

Phil started, shaking his head, "No, Mom, he..." It took him a second to realize what she'd said. He stood there with his mouth open.

Pauline smiled and reached up, pushing on his chin, to close his mouth. "You're my baby, Phil. I've known for a while. Come over here and sit down."

It was about 3 minutes later that a light knock was heard. One of the adolescents brought in a cup of Earl Grey tea and a mug of hot chocolate. She dropped them off and left quickly.

Pauline looked at her son over the top of the cup. He looked bewildered.

"Oh, Phil, can you tell me anything?"

"He's..," a sip, a sigh, "..older. And he's really worried what would happen if the others saw us." A pause. "That there could be fights and attacks."

She leaned forward and took his hand. "I want to see you happy. What if I talk to him, the Alphas?"

Phil shook his head again. "No, Mom. Don't." He took a deep breath, exhaled. "If he doesn't want me, I can't make him."

Pauline sat quietly for a few moments, sifting through what her son had said. That the other male was older and thought there might be trouble. She then realized that he had come home late on the last day of the gathering. Something had happened between the two of them. Why else would they have missed their rides? He had been brought home in another pack's car. Phil was upset as soon as he'd gotten back but seemed almost giddy the night before. Older, hm. She paused, cup halfway to her lips, "You approached him, didn't you?"

Phil didn't answer, looking into his own cup.

She reached for his hand again, squeezed it, and he looked. She looked into eyes as blue as her own. "Anything worth having, is worth pursuing."

-------

Randall went, the next day, to go visit his friend.

He arrived to see Stephanie, the Madam Alpha of Ross, leading half a dozen females out of the den. Seven wolves of different sizes and colors, put up their noses, sniffed, and looked at him. The green eyes of the lead wolf focused on him. [Good day to you, Madam Alpha. How are you?]

[Good, Alpha Wyeth. How is the pack?]

[We are all well, thank you. Good hunting.]

Stephanie shook out her coat, looked to the other females, and took off at a run. The other furred forms took off after her, running through the light dusting of snow.

Randall approached the main door and was greeted by Calvin Ross. "I see your mate is well, Calvin."

Calvin smiled and clapped him on the shoulder. "That she is, Randall. Have I ever thanked you?"

"You drew her out, Cal. You deserve the reward. So, Stephanie informed me that she is well. How fares the pack?"

"Well, but for one. Let's go to my office, shall we?"

Two steaming cups of coffee awaited them. They sat in a couple of chairs to one side of the desk. Randall took an appreciative sip. He then looked to the other Alpha to begin the conversation.

Calvin took his cup and walked over to the large window which looked out over the range. Without looking back at Randall, Calvin said, "I have an unusual situation and a matter to bring before the pack council."

"Is there a problem?"

Calvin sighed. "It's going to be very contentious. I wanted to determine... well, I want to know if you'll support it."

"It would help if you told me what you were dancing around."

Calvin then turned back. An inhale, exhale. "I have reason to believe one of my pack has found his mate at the gathering. However, he is not pursuing the relationship."

"I don't understand. The feeling should be almost overwhelming. Why would he..."

Calvin swallowed again before answering. "It's another male."

Randall stopped, considering that simple statement, and the complexity it precluded. He felt Calvin's eyes on him as he thought of the fight that lay ahead. "How long have you known?"

"He told me while I was courting Stephanie."

"The purpose of mating is having pups, Cal." Randall's voice was calm. Measured.

"Is it, Randall? That's the general result of a mating but I have seen matings where no pups were born. I, myself, did not expect a pup with Stephanie. Nor did she. What, then, was the reason for our mating?"

Calvin could see his friend considering and thought to add one more point. "Do we need pups to come out of every mating?"

Randall scratched his chin. "No, we do not. Although each birth is an occasion to be celebrated."

"Isn't it the same for a mating?"

Randall was quiet, thinking. "You make a very good argument, my friend. I can't come up with a valid reason to oppose such a measure."

"But you don't like it."

"It's unfamiliar, uncomfortable."

Calvin took a deep draught of his coffee. "I only look for the happiness of one of my pack."

Randall drained his cup as an Omega brought in a tray of food. The young wolf hovered. "Um, more coffee?"

He looked into the young female's face, heart-shaped, with hazel eyes. She met his eyes, blushed, and looked away. He extended the cup, "Yes, please."

She filled his cup, a little too full, topped off her Alpha's cup, and scurried away. As the door closed, Calvin said, "Jessica's beginning to notice males." A sip. "So, Roland has yet to find his mate."

"Perhaps. He's developed an attraction to one of our young females."

"How young?"

"Mmm. Ten, if I recall correctly."

Calvin clicked his tongue and shook his head slightly. "And how is the grandpup?"

"Holding her own against her cousins. I thought Jo young to be mated, young to be a mother, but it suits her."

Calvin's mood turns a bit more sober. "I do envy you that, my friend."

"You still have time, Cal."

He shook his head. "Even if Stephanie were to catch, I wouldn't live long enough to see a grandpup."

"I know it's a delicate subject, but what's come of your succession plan?"

His eyes closed as he exhaled. "I have an idea, a choice, in mind."

They continued to talk of mundane things until Randall begged duty and returned to the Wyeth den.

-------

The full moon came and went as it usually did and was followed by a warm spell. Snow melted and the sun shone down. The temperature rocketed into the 70s and stayed there for three days.

While their coats kept them warm during the cold season, they still enjoyed running about in warmer weather. So, before winter set in with force and the snow made movement difficult, everyone got outside. The pups chased each other and tracked small animals. Stalking. Hunting.

The adults, well, some took time to get away from the den and others. Mates found a different kind of privacy.

Lyssa was watching Emmanuel play with Emmaline, Troy, and Tonya. She sat, sun warming her dark fur, watching. Her mouth was partly open, tongue lolling. Emmett was off checking the edge of the range with Randall and Erich.

Something caught the pups' attention and Lyssa wondered what they had found. After checking it out, the twins backed away. But Emmanuel yapped at it, making small charges at whatever was there. Emmaline stood to one side, interested but wary.

Lyssa couldn't see it since it was behind a rock. A mouse or a rabbit should have bolted by now. So she moved so that she could see what he was so interested in.

A snake. Coiled. Prepared to strike.

[Emmanuel, no!] Another small charge. Lyssa barked a warning as Emmaline nipped his rump. Distracted, his attention shifted and the snake struck.

Emmanuel yipped and darted away.

Lyssa ran for him. [Em, are you hurt?]

Nothing from him. Emmaline was by his side, turning him.

Lyssa caught up. [Em, did it get you?]

He stopped, realizing his mother had come to him and, favoring a foreleg, whined a little.

[EM. Emmanuel's hurt!] She shifted to intermediate form, grabbed him, and ran for the den. [Healers. Emmanuel's been bitten by a snake.]

[Understood, Madam Beta. How far away are you?]

[Other side of the circle.] She maneuvered around some sparring wolves and headed for the side door. Emmaline followed. Lyssa's shoulder began to ache.

The healers were there when Lyssa ran in. Natalie put out her arms and she transferred her baby to the healer. [Emmanuel, change to human, please.]

Little Em whined and tried to curl up in a ball. [Em, can you turn human?]

Wade tried to examine Emmanuel but fur made it more difficult. "Emmanuel. Human, please."

"My right shoulder aches."

"Mine, too."

Emmanuel turned pinker as his dark fur receded. He whimpered as Natalie turned him so that Wade could see his shoulder. "Huurrts."

Lyssa hovered. "They're trying to help, baby boy."

The shoulder was reddened. "I only see one puncture."

"Good. It wasn't a full dose then."

"Any idea what kind of snake?" Lyssa's hands were clasped tightly, in front of her mouth.

"Maybe Emmaline knows."

"Emmaline, what did the snake look like?"

[WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH MY PUP?] Emmett's concern came through loud and clear.

[Snakebite, Em.] Lyssa swallowed and sniffed.

"Emmaline, the snake?"

[Dark. Stripey.]

"Not pretty colors?"

[No.] Emmaline stretched up the healer's legs to sniff at Emmanuel. Lyssa looked pained, listening to her little boy whimper, struggling not to snatch him out of Natalie's arms. Wade returned as Lyssa ventured, "Tell me what's happening to my baby."

[Emmanuel, how much does it hurt?]

"Not every bite injects venom; these are called dry bites." Lyssa was so not in the mood for a lecture. "Dose depends on age and condition of the snake. One puncture means one fang and half the dose."

"Will he be OK?"

Wade opened Emmanuel's mouth and smeared a whitish greasy mass on the roof of his mouth. Bacon. It was bacon grease. [Emmanuel, how bad does it hurt?]

[Lyssa, he's not answering me. Can you ask him about the pain?]

Lyssa touched his dark hair. "Hey, Em, Mama wants..." She paused as Natalie's eyes got far away and her mouth opened slightly in disbelief.

Behind Natalie, she caught sight of a sober Thomas.

Emmett skidded to a stop in Medical, breathing heavily and taking in the odd tableau. "Healers. Mate. What's going on with my son?"

Natalie turned and passed Emmanuel to his father, who quickly looked over the whimpering boy, zeroing in on the injury. "A single puncture, Beta," Wade said, "he'll likely be fine."

Lyssa snuggled up to her mate, eyes glinting.

"Why do I smell bacon?"

"I've mixed the antihistamine with some bacon fat."

Emmett looked at them, feeling the anxiety fairly vibrating off his mate. "What do we do for him?"

"Keep him calm and continue to give him this. Let us know if the bite looks worse."

Emmett inhaled, exhaled. "OK." He looks over. "Natalie, have you something else to say?"

Natalie blinks. "Not that relates to this incident, Beta. However, I do have a question to ask."

Emmett gave a brief nod as Emmanuel whined again. "Has Emmanuel ever sent to you?"

Lyssa started, "Of course he has..."

Emmett squeezed her shoulder. His voice was quiet, thoughtful. "Now that I think of it, I can't remember ever hearing him."

"Lyssa?"

She looked at her little boy, who seemed to be getting a bit sleepy, up to Emmett, who seemed a bit grim, and back to the healers. Her voice was quiet. "No."

"When you've sent to him, has he answered, responded in any way?"

Lyssa's voice was shaky. "I thought so." Her breath hitched. "What does it mean?"

Emmett blew out a breath, his arms wrapped around his family. "It seems, sweetheart, as though our son may be deaf."

Lyssa stiffened. "But. But he talks to us, answers us."

"Wolf-deaf, Lyssa."

"Madam Beta, it happens rarely. There have been werewolves who could not hear a send. And, perhaps because they do not hear one, they do not send." Lyssa sniffed, swallowed. "But Emmanuel has a way to compensate. He projects."

"But, but," Lyssa started again, clutching her baby a little more tightly, "you're saying he can't hear us. That when we're wolves, we can't call him, or warn him, or..." She sucked in a breath or two, trying not to cry.

Emmett stood, thinking, digesting the information about his son. Wolf-deaf. Unable to hear or send.

Silence reigned for a short time.

Emmett quietly said, "I'll inform the Alphas. The pack will need to be made aware."

Lyssa kissed her son's head. Emmanuel looked to be asleep, oblivious to the ongoing discussion about him. And she realized, all three of them were naked, changed from wolves. They had three forms. "Healers. Em." They all looked to her, a mother learning her child had a disability. "Is it possible..?" a shuddering sigh, "..would he hear in one form but not all of them?"

"Let him heal. Then we shall make some tests."

Emmett started to guide his mate toward the door.

Natalie said, "Bring him back after dinner so that we can check on him." He nodded.

Lyssa stopped in the doorway. [Madam Beta, I know this is not a good time, but I would like to speak to you.] She turned her head slightly and gave a slight nod.

Back in their suite, Lyssa finally let the tears fall. "Oh, Em, what do we do?"

Emmett swept her up in his arms and nuzzled her hair. He sat on the bed with his family in his lap. "He'll learn body language, alarm barks, growls. We watch over him and, until he's old enough, strong enough to take care of himself, we don't leave him alone."

They sat quietly, Lyssa sniffling a bit. Emmett tried to look at positive things. Emmanuel was otherwise healthy. There was no reason he couldn't learn, couldn't compensate. The pack would look out for him.

And he wondered why it had taken them so long to notice.

He reached around her and, carefully, turned Emmanuel so that he could look at his shoulder again. The area of the bite was red and felt warm. Emmanuel whimpered when he touched it. Emmett checked his forehead. Maybe it felt a little warmer.

He kissed his mate and stroked his son's dark hair. "The pack will watch out for him."

Lyssa took a deep breath and blew it out in a gust. "Could he grow out of it? Into it?"

KemMyst
KemMyst
1,302 Followers
12