For Silence's Sake Ch. 07

Story Info
Presents - small, large,?
5.5k words
4.75
13.1k
14

Part 7 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/01/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KemMyst
KemMyst
1,302 Followers

Dear Readers,

Changes in life are giving me less time to write. However, I have the ending in sight for this storyline and there are, at least, a couple more chapters.

I hope you enjoy this installment.

KemMyst

**********

Ariel looked at her Madam Beta. They had just finished reinforcing Emmaline for a duty to Emmanuel. Since he had more mobility and often ran around as a cub, she needed to relay messages of alarm to him. She was the only one he could hear. And, while he could project feelings and urges, he didn't seem to be able to send to anyone. It was odd; he should be more receptive to family.

After the pups had taken off, Lyssa sat quietly and threw a couple of glances at Ariel. She asked, quietly, "What is it, Lyssa?"

"What happens when two of us grow apart? There's no divorce, right?"

"What are you talking about?"

Lyssa ran a hand down the side of her face and cupped her chin in it. "I don't know. You hear stories of families coming apart when someone gets sick."

"I'm still not following."

"I hardly see him anymore. He's always gone. Little Em can't hear. I, I lost the baby. Maybe it's too much for him."

"Lyssa, Emmett loves you, both of you."

"But, how long can it take to get the external security stuff up?"

"A while longer, there is a lot to do."

-

Lyssa tried to get Emmett to go out with her to pick up a present for Little Em. He looked mildly interested at first, then begged off to go work. So, she talked Madeline into going with her.

Although she didn't understand the concept, Lyssa tried to explain the holiday on the way to the toy store. But the religious aspects of the season completely eluded her. Werewolves were pragmatic and didn't have a spiritual side. They didn't believe in a higher power or an afterlife and, while they did mourn their dead, the reason for the pyre was to keep the remains from being discovered or investigated by humans. And they had obtained permission from the human authorities to burn their dead.

Since Lyssa hadn't gone to church since becoming a werewolf, Madeline didn't understand her wanting to take up the traditions again. A tree. Gifts. They didn't really celebrate birthdays, except for maturation days. And gifts, within families or between mates, were also uncommon.

Madeline looked in awe at the lights and displays. Nativity scenes. A large menorah on a lawn. Lit trees in windows. And then, the stores. She goggled at the Santa Clauses. The toys were another surprise. So many, many things - cars, characters, puzzles, building sets, electronic games, stuffed toys, dolls. Madeline looked at the girly things. Lyssa was looking for something for her little boy. Nothing seemed right. He was only 10 months old but, because of his dual nature, he was more along the lines of an 18 month old human child.

He wouldn't know what to do with a toy truck. He'd rip a stuffed toy to shreds and had other pups to cuddle with. He didn't know any cartoons. What in the world could she get him? Something? She should get him something. She should have a Christmas present for her son. But she couldn't find anything she could imagine he'd like. It was crazy. She had no idea what to do.

Aggravated, she hunted down Madeline, who stood transfixed before a small display of fairy figurines. [Lyssa, what's a fairy?]

Lyssa smiled. [They take care of the flowers, Mad.]

Surprised, Madeline whipped her head around to look at Lyssa. "Whaddaya mean?"

"Fairies each have a kind of flower. Daisies or snapdragons or roses. And they take care of that flower, helping it grow and look pretty. That's where they live."

Madeline picked up a little purple figure, cradling it in her palm, like it was precious. "Really?"

Lyssa smiled again. "What's her name?"

"Huh?"

"There should be a tag, with a name on it."

The figure was seated, knees up, bare legs crossed at the ankles. She had short dark hair and little, pointed ears. She wore a short, purple shift, like something a greek goddess would wear, belted with a green vine. She was leaning back on her hands and her lavender butterfly wings swept behind her. A garland of purple flowers sat on her head and her eyes were almost Madeline's shade.

"Violet." Quiet, almost reverent.

Lyssa's smile was broad and she teared up slightly. "Take her home, Madeline. Buy her, and bring her home."

"I, I can't."

Lyssa put an arm around her and steered her toward the front of the store. "Sure you can, when's the last time you got anything for yourself?"

In a daze, Madeline paid for the item, after seeing it placed in a little box for transport.

As they walked back to the car, Madeline shook herself and looked at Lyssa, who had no bag in her hands. "You didn't get Little Em anything?"

"Couldn't find anything."

"Oh. Uh. OK."

Lyssa went out for a run. The snow was about 8 inches deep and her chestnut coat stood out against the white expanse.

She followed a well-traveled trail. Lots of prints, mostly male. One of them looked like Emmett's. She stopped but then, hell, she was Beta and chair of the council. She should probably see what those security measures looked like.

[Beta, the Madam Beta's headed your way.]

[Thank you, Mercy.]

Emmett didn't quite know what to do. He didn't want Lyssa to be here, didn't want her to see. So he headed back toward the den, trying to figure out what she wanted and how to turn her around.

She stopped again. Boring. It would probably be really boring. And, did she really need to see?

Nah. She wasn't Alpha. They didn't need to know details so she really didn't. Sigh.

She took off, across a field, headed for a treeline. There was a neat little ravine that way and there might be icicles near the pretty little waterfall.

[False alarm. She's headed for the Falls Gully.]

[Thank you, Mercy.]

Lyssa got to the edge of the ravine and looked over the side. Snow had drifted in little piles in a couple of spots. The waterfall sparkled in the sunshine, frozen droplets looked like diamonds. The sun was warm on her dark fur.

She wanted to go down and look at the ice formations at the bottom. Funny looking globs where the water trickled over the edge and fell and froze when it hit bottom. Like stalactites or stalagmites or whichever it was. There was a gentle slope off a ways but she was a wolf and could take a more direct route. So, she stepped over to a spot where a couple of leaps down would get her to the bottom. She settled her haunches for the first jump and the snow broke from under her.

Lyssa slid a short distance and then tumbled, yelping as she hit a couple of rocks on the way down.

She woke to someone licking her muzzle and whining.

[Madam Beta, please wake up.]

Lyssa groaned and shifted her legs and Mercy leapt back with a startled yip. [Mercy?]

[Are you OK?]

Lyssa groaned again and worked her way upright. [Mm. Mostly.]

Emmett pounded down the gully at full speed. [Sweetheart?] He slid as he closed on them, bowling them both over. Yelps where followed by flailing, standing, and shaking of coats. Emmett nosed Lyssa, looking for injuries.

She made a noise of pain as he checked her ribs. [OK to walk?]

[Yeah.]

[Thanks, Mercy.]

Lyssa worked her way out of the gully with Emmett following. [Got her shadowing me?]

He was glad he was behind her then as it took him a moment to recover from that question. [Probably just practicing her tracking.]

[Real hard to follow a dark wolf in the snow.]

[I'm glad to see you came out for a run.]

[Needed out of the den for a bit.]

[Wanna keep goin'?]

[Nah. I'm good. Go back to what you were doing.]

He bounded ahead and stopped to face her. [You sure?]

[Yeah. Go on.]

He licked her muzzle. [OK. See you later, mate.] And off he went.

-

"So, you went out shopping today?"

"Yeah, Mad found a fairy to bring home."

"Excuse me?"

"A little figure, with wings."

"Oh. OK."

"Yeah. And I couldn't find a thing that I thought Em would like."

Emmett put his arms around his mate. "This doesn't hurt, does it?" She shook her head. "Emmanuel has everything he needs here."

Lyssa sniffed. "What kind of mother can't get a present for her baby?"

"Sweetheart." He kissed the side of her head. "My beautiful, beautiful mate." He kissed her again. "Emmanuel is not a human boy and there are no stores for werewolf children because they are different. You said yourself when I got the crib, that he'd be as likely to chew on it as sleep in it."

She smiled and chuckled. She'd been right, to an extent. There were some gnaw marks on the wood. He caressed her shoulder. "Lys, no one else celebrates Christmas. He has the other pups and parents who love him."

She sighed. "Yeah, I guess. I just feel..." She trailed off.

"How are your ribs?"

"Sore. You'd think I'd have figured out about snow overhangs after last time."

Lyssa had slid down a slope when she'd broken through an overhang at a cabin. When he had taken her away from the pack the second time. That time she had only been embarrassed.

"Bath?"

"Mm. Sounds good."

"OK. Wait here." He got up and kissed her before heading for the bathroom. She heard the water running, heard him check the temperature, heard him screw the cap on a bottle before she smelled raspberry.

As he walked back out, having shed his t-shirt and jeans, there was a knock at the door. As she stood, a little painfully, an enticing aroma drifted to her.

She shed her clothes as he handed her a steaming cup. "Coffee?"

"Healers said since Emmanuel's pretty much weaned there's no reason not to."

She took an appreciative sip and groaned in pleasure. Emmanuel was in the creche with Emmaline and the twins. "C'mon."

With a hand to her back, he guided her into the bathroom. Putting their cups to one side, he slid into the water and extended his arms. She lay back in his arms, against his body, with another groan. He kissed the side of her head as she grabbed her cup and took another sip. She leaned back and he put his arm around her waist. She leaned her head back and sighed. "Thank you." A breath. "How much longer?"

"Mmm. For what, sweetheart?" He stroked her arm and she felt him twitch behind her. She jerked upright, grimacing, and he made a noise. "Lys, what?"

"I'm not.."

He gently pulled her back. "Lyssa. What?"

She blew out a breath. "I can't yet. The healers said..."

"Lyssa, Lyssa, I know. I'm not trying to seduce you."

She settled back and he felt her relax. "I'm sorry, I just..."

"Just...relax."

They sat for a while, occasionally sipping at their coffees. "This'll keep me up all night but it tastes so good."

"Sleep in, Lyssa. You're hurt. Take a nap with Emmanuel."

"Mmm. Hey, how long 'til you're done?

"A couple more weeks."

She made a noise of displeasure. "Maybe sooner. Lys, it's gotta be done right."

"I'm tired of you being away so much."

"Just a little while longer, sweetheart. I'll be done soon."

Lyssa blinked, trying to keep her eyes open. She was so tired and she kindof hurt and the coffee was good and the water was warm and Emmett was holding her.

He knew she was drifting off when she started to twist sideways. It was a bit uncomfortable with where her hip was but he gritted his teeth so as not to disturb her. He was so relieved she hadn't gotten badly hurt.

She was upset about several things right now. Getting Emmanuel's present for Christmas. His wolf-deafness. Loss of their pup. All the ruckus about the same sex mating resolution. And then, he'd, well, he'd been working on something for a while now and his absence was bothering her.

Soon, soon. It would all be over soon.

-

Thomas had found a present for Lorelei. The Madam Beta had given him some ideas although he'd ended up revealing more to her than he'd wanted.

She had looked at him, measuring him, then sighed and made some suggestions. She had pointed him to a couple of shops instead of taking him to them like she had Erich. While that had been kindof fun it seemed awful weird to think of taking Thomas. Eww.

Thomas chafed at the wait. Lorelei had told him she couldn't see him again until after Christmas, which was three days away. He wanted to have sex with her again. He wanted to show her what he'd gotten. He hoped she would like it. He began to plan their next night out.

-

Sampson was surprised to receive a package. He hadn't ordered anything. There was no return address. There were the scents of several humans, the smell of young Tim, who had brought the package to him, as well as the faint smell of a strange wolf. Female.

He sat on the chair at his desk and stared at it. What in the world would another wolf be sending him?

There were several, well, probably more than several, werewolves who saw him as a threat to their way of life. Who wanted to hurt him and others like him. He closed his eyes, pressed his nose to the cardboard of the box, and inhaled deeply. Cardboard. Plastic. Nothing else.

[Sampson!]

[Yes, my Alpha.]

[I understand you have received an unsolicited package from an unknown individual.]

[It appears to have come from another wolf, Alpha.]

[Then you haven't opened it?]

[No, Alpha.]

[Do not open it inside the den.]

Calvin had felt a spike of fear upon hearing Sampson had received a package from someone unknown. Who knew what some of the other wolves were capable of?

It was midafternoon when they took the package out to the side deck. Curious eyes watched from the windows as Sampson half-shifted and sliced the tape open with a claw. He carefully opened the flaps as his Alphas stood to one side. Looking inside, Sampson removed a plastic bag which contained cloth and a piece of paper.

"Stop." Sampson froze. "Is there anything else in the bag?" Sampson looked in the box, which was now empty. He felt of the bag and shook his head.

[Healer.]

[Yes, Alpha.]

[Please meet us in the foyer.] "Sampson. Mate."

They walked in the front door of the den. It took Sharilyn less than a minute to arrive. "Yes, Alpha?"

"Our Beta has received a package from an unknown party." Sharilyn cocked her head and looked at the bag, which appeared to hold a shirt. "I want you here in case there is something... untoward inside."

Sampson was holding the plastic bag by a corner and was embarrassed by the commotion, although he had been wary himself. He realized all attention was on him. He sighed and grasped the edges of the bag. As it opened a burst of scent wafted up. Sampson took a deep breath and took an involuntary step back.

Stephanie batted it out of his hands.

Sampson leapt for the bag, rolled, and came up holding it tightly. "My Alphas, this is personal."

Calvin looked at his Beta, at what he was clutching. Traces of the scent had reached them all. Werewolf. Male. A scent they had taken in at Foster.

"Thank you, everyone. You are excused."

Sampson swallowed and quickly returned to his room.

His cock was hard and ready.

It was Phil's scent. Someone had sent him one of Phil's t-shirts. The piece of paper in the bag had only three words on it, written in what looked like a female's hand. 'Please call him.'

Someone who cared for Phil had sent him a message. Wanted him to talk to Phil.

He couldn't. There was too much turmoil.

But his response. His body's response. He couldn't deny it. He thought he could, could go back to things as they had been.

Sampson inhaled, squeezed his eyes shut, and swallowed. No.

He popped the seal on the bag again and took a deep whiff. Oh, Selene. He thought he would burst.

No.

He tossed the sealed bag under his bed and strode back out into the den.

-

Lyssa had decided that she would get a tree, just a little one, and maybe she'd figure out a present from there. Even though there wasn't much time left.

She came out of the bathroom to find Emmanuel pissing on it.

Well. That was just great.

At least she hadn't put the lights on it.

She sat on the bed and exhaled. How would she explain Santa Claus to him anyway?

So much for Christmas.

The last few weeks had just sucked.

After she cleaned up the mess, Lyssa took her little boy down for some chocolate pudding while she enjoyed a cup of dark coffee. At least she could have her favorite beverage again. After that, Emmanuel asked her to read the book about the little duck looking for his mama. Three times.

That night she was going out with Madeline and Joanna. So she started looking at what was in her closet. Some of the clothes she wore before she had Emmanuel were getting comfortable again. Hm, what to wear?

Emmett got back before supper this evening. Smiling, he came back to the den and went immediately to his Alpha.

Then, grinning broadly, he hunted down his mate. He found his son first, running through the first floor of the den with the other pups.

Emmanuel slid to a stop in front of his father. Emmett picked him up and tossed him. "Gen." Another toss, to giggling.

"Let's go find mama."

"K, Daddy."

They found her in the reading room. "Whatcha reading, mate?"

"Story about a werewolf named Kitty."

"Kitty? Really?"

Lyssa nodded, closing the book. "You're back early."

"Done, Lys. We're done."

She looked at him, as if she didn't quite understand what he was saying.

Emmanuel reached out to her and she automatically took her son into her arms.

Emmett picked her up, as other wolves looked on, and sat back down with her in his lap. He nuzzled her neck. "We're done, mate."

"Don't know why you had to be out there every day, anyway," she grumbled.

He kissed the side of her head. "We could do something tonight. Whatever you want."

She pushed away and looked at him. "Jo's coming over. We're going out, remember?"

He wanted to celebrate with her but she was having a night out with Jo and Madeline. And she didn't see Jo all that often. "That's right. That's good."

"I guess we could go another time."

"No, mate. You should go out with your friends."

Emmett was on the floor, wrestling with his son. He looked up when Lyssa came out of the closet. "That's what you're wearing?"

Navy pants and a rather shapeless red turtleneck.

She turned around and came back out with an ivory blouse. Madeline knocked on the door and they regarded each other. Madeline was wearing a long paisley skirt and a green sweater with her hair pulled back.

Madeline then turned to look down the hall and headed back to her room.

Lyssa peeked out. Jo was wearing a ruffled cranberry blouse and a black pencil skirt. Lyssa went back to the closet.

Emmett gestured to Joanna to come in. [Lookin' good, Jo.] Joanna smiled. He twisted Emmanuel so that he could see her and said, "You remember mama's friend, Jo."

Emmanuel nodded vigorously. "Jojo."

"Hi, Emmanuel. How are you doing?"

"K. Where Lyra?"

Joanna crouched to answer the dark-eyed boy. "At home, with her daddy."

He seemed a bit disappointed. "K."

"She'll come another time." Joanna looked up to his father. "How's it going, Em?"

"Pretty good. Just finished a big project." [You know she lost a pup, right?]

Grimly, Joanna nodded. She turned. "Hey, Lys, ready to go?"

"I think so." Lyssa emerged from the closet with a light blue camisole and a navy jacket. [Mad, we're ready to go.]

Madeline reappeared in a long black skirt and a gold-colored short sleeved sweater, Her mate hovered behind her, a bit nervously. Madeline, while she had been outside the den before, had never been to a club.

-

All eyes went to the door as the three women walked in. Madeline almost stopped dead, wrinkling her nose in disgust at the odors her sensitive nose encountered. Humans in close quarters, sweat, urine, personal care products, alcohol, and myriad other things. Lyssa was a little behind and gave her a push. [You get used to it.]

KemMyst
KemMyst
1,302 Followers
12