For the Sake of an Empire Ch. 05

Story Info
Whispers of upheaval begins; Portia plans her moves.
5k words
4.76
10.9k
0
1

Part 5 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/01/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The following is a complete work of fiction inspired by Roman history, with a strong fantasy aspect for the use of artistic license. The original story which was previously posted on Literotica has been completely revamped, so the folks who have been following the story might want to go back and re-read from Chapter 1. The idea of intrigue, betrayal and a power struggle are the still the same. However, entire new passages and parts have been added and some omitted. What was once Chapter 3 is now broken up and will be incorporated into Chapters 4, 5 and 6.

Hopefully if you enjoyed the original, you will still enjoy this one. For those who wrote to me about this series regarding its lack of overly explicit sexual content, I will state for your peace of mind that it is NOT a stroke story. If that interests you, you'd be better off reading something else.

Disclaimer:

The following story may contain erotic situations between consenting adults. If it is illegal for you to read this please leave now. Please do not copy or distribute the story without the author's permission.

Important -

Please feel free to send any feedback or comments through PM or you email me. I appreciate you taking two seconds to vote or leave a comment. And as always thanks to the people who have continued asking for this story and inspired me to do so.

*

The sudden death of Celaenia's King had shocked the country and with no heir named, times were strained. Portia knew that whispers were already starting in dark corners about political upheaval, putting her at the center of a very dangerous power struggle. Her pieces had to be put into play carefully, no possibility dismissed as trivial. Trust was a precious gift she could not afford even with those who voiced their support of her. Friends held favor with her only as long as they proved useful. She had to ensure her position, and had begun her game with Commodus and Sirrus. She would continue with the High Council, having set a time for a meeting with them tomorrow where she intended to announce her plans to wed Marcus to gain their confidence and approval. They were a bunch of doddering old men, but if she could gain their support she would have the city in her hand.

Gray eyes moved over the great hall, lingering on the couples dancing and partaking in the pleasures that the soldiers had been denied for the three years they had been away. She had orchestrated an elaborate feast in honor of Marcus's homecoming to gain the favor of the legions and the people. Food and drink had been provided for everyone in the city, the sound of people rejoicing in the streets was heard through the open windows.

Inside the palace, the musicians were playing, the wine flowed freely. The subdued ambiance which had lingered since the death of the king was replaced by the hopeful celebration at the legions' return and the dawn of a new era for Celaenia. Portia had encouraged a sense of luxury, presiding over the festivities with more confidence than she felt. There were many who smiled at her, yet she knew they silently doubted her ability to lead the Empire.

Celaenia was at war, though it was a quiet, internal warfare. Tonight was only the first of many battles, which Portia planned to win. Failure was not an option when there was so much at stake.

"Things are going well, Portia. You have surprised me."

Portia glanced at Commodus as he appeared at her side. Her eyes narrowed at the amusement he seemed to find at her expense, but she shrugged gracefully.

"I will take that as a compliment Commodus. Having seen so very many years in this world, surprising you seems quite the feat."

She smiled, sipping from her chalice, enjoying a moment of pleasure in his irritation.

"I am pleased. Things are proceeding according to plan. Sirrus is garnering support for me within the city's legions. This feast tonight will help to solidify that support, showing my respect for the military and the hardships they have experienced fighting for this country. With the legions' full support, I am one step closer to complete control over Celaenia."

"You are becoming quite the politician, Portia. I'm pleased to see that you are finding new ways to expand your hold. Your charms are many, but I doubt that even you can spread wide enough to service an entire country."

Portia's cheeks flood with color as she looked at the old man who smiled through his insult. Her palm stung, nails cutting into the tender flesh as she curled one hand into a fist at her side.

"I live for my country, Commodus. Fortunately I am young enough to have the luxury of enjoying her and her triumphs for many more years. Not all can say that."

"Very true, Portia." He looked amused as he placed his hand on her elbow to guide her away from the crowd to speak to her privately for a moment. They stood by a pillar apart from the crowd in view of the door.

He spoke quietly. "I spoke to Julian and Gregorius of the High Council today. They doubt your ability to rule alone, but they can sway the others if they are properly convinced. They have requests of their own to make."

"I have no doubt they do, but I have several requests as well. It will be interesting to see what agreement we come to."

Commodus nodded, his gaze moving throughout the crowded room. He seemed to vibrate with restless energy.

"I have set up private meetings tomorrow with trusted members of my council. They know of my support of you and they are in support of me."

"Interesting. I too have a meeting scheduled. The High Council wishes to know what my next step will be and I have decided to announce my intention to wed Marcus."

Disbelief flooded the old man's face, a grizzled brow arching.

"You surprise me, my dear. Marcus has been in the city for less than a day and you have already begun extending your web."

"Is that not what you wanted? The High Council has already made their happiness at his return evident. If Marcus expressed a desire for the throne, they would be in support of it. As his wife they will be in support of me as well."

"Very true. I must admit I am surprised that Marcus so readily accepted your proposal."

The statement hung, Portia's silence making him glance over at her. She was looking at the dancers; color high in her cheeks, lips pressed tightly together.

"You have not asked him have you?"

"I have not yet seen my cousin, Commodus. But I am confident that he will agree that it is the best possible solution."

"Confidence is a fine quality, Portia, but at times it is simply a word for stupidity."

"I know my cousin better than you do, Commodus. Marcus desires the happiness of the country and its people. If he believes that Celaenia will benefit from his acceptance of the throne, his duty will leave him no other option."

"If I were a gambling man, I would take that wager, but as it is, I will settle for learning of his answer."

Portia's reply was cut off by the sound of trumpets. Silence swept over the crowds and Portia turned slowly, tensing when she saw Marcus step into the main hall. For a moment, no one moved; all eyes were on the serious man who stood a head taller than most others in the room.

Marcus arched a brow, feeling the weight of all that he had run from for so long settling upon his shoulders.

Portia inhaled. "He seems a different man from the one in my memories."

"Three years is a long time, Portia. I am sure he feels the same."

"I did not picture him this way. He reminds me of a portrait I saw once of my father."

"He is like your father in spirit as well as appearance. The late king was a great man of the people Marcus Aurelius could be greater. That is why it is so important for you to gain his support."

"Mm hmm... I do not know if he will even have time for me. He has not been here for even five minutes and already every female eye is on him."

"I am sure you will find ways to distract him. Tantalize him with your scintillating conversational skills perhaps."

Commodus smiled when her eyes narrowed and Portia cursed herself for allowing him affect her. She looked away from the old man, focusing instead on the younger one.

Gone was the young cousin who had grown up with her in the gardens of the palace. In his place was a man with the wisdom of a soldier and infinite possibility for greatness if he would just allow it.

"What if he will not listen?"

"Do you have so little faith in your abilities?"

"I have little faith in men."

Portia's eyes met his as she handed him her chalice, then moved towards Marcus. His gaze followed her approach, as did all eyes in the hall. Her steps whispered across the floor, a smile curving her lips as she laid a hand gently on his arm.

"The gods have answered our prayers with your safe return, Marcus. I cannot tell you how many nights I waited for news of you. When we received word from messengers about the ambush on the borders of Frejia, I feared the worst."

She smiled, tears filling her eyes becomingly. "We hold this feast tonight in your honor and in the honor of all of the men who have sacrificed so much for Celaenia. It is they who are the backbone of this country and we are all more grateful than words can express. Welcome home."

"We are glad to be home, my Lady. We have been away from these walls too long and relish the opportunity to be reunited with those who felt our absence the most. Our only regret is that we could not be here to protect our King from the tragedy that befell him. But our loyalty is now and always will be to Celaenia."

The words were perfect, the exchange exactly what should have occurred between cousins so long separated, but Portia felt a chill slide down her spine when she met Marcus's eyes. The people surrounding them were oblivious, applause crawling across Portia's skin as she leaned up to brush her lips across her cousin's cheek. His skin smelled clean, warm beneath her mouth. She pulled back, smiling graciously at the crowd around them.

"Please, let the musicians play on and the festivities continue. Feast and thank the gods for the return of our men and for the many other blessings bestowed upon us. I wish no unhappiness tonight. We have grieved and now we must be strong and attempt to move on with a new hope for Celaenia."

She glanced back at Marcus, sliding her arm through his.

"Will you please excuse us for a moment? I have not seen my cousin for three years and we have much to speak of."

Marcus followed her lead, threading their way through the crowd towards the balcony where they had some privacy. Portia held onto him until they were alone, her fingers sliding away from the strong muscle of his arm when the sounds of the feast faded behind them. For a moment she did not know what to say, feeling Marcus's eyes on her, comfortable with the same silence that made her restless.

"You look well."

"As do you. The gods haves smiled their graces on you, Portia. You remind me of my lady aunt in that gown. She wore something similar once at a feast when we were children."

"My mother was a beautiful woman. If I am anything like her, my pleasure cannot be fully expressed." She paused. "Do you remember her well?"

"Of course. She was a kind, loving woman and the only mother I remember. I was only a boy when my parents left this world. Your mother and father are the faces I see in my earliest memories."

He paused, leaning against the railing of the balcony. His face was cast in shadow but Portia heard a faint hitch for a moment in those deep tones.

"The loss of your father is one that I feel deeply, Portia. He was a man I respected and his death is a tragedy. I was told that it was Caius who took his life. I could not believe it to be true."

Portia shifted beneath his scrutiny when those gray eyes swept over her. He seemed to look through her, as if he knew the truth she tried to bury so deeply.

"It was him. I was in the habit of checking on father in the evenings before I went to bed. That night, I saw Caius leaning over the bed with a pillow between his hands. I screamed and ran. He came after me but the guards caught him." She swallowed as she looked into the night. "I would not believe him capable of it myself had I not seen the proof in my father's sightless eyes..."

Her own eyes closed, the sting of tears blocked. She heard Marcus move before his hand touched her arm. His palms were warm and calloused, offering a strength that she craved to harness for her purposes.

"Was he tried by the High Council?"

"No... He was a traitor, Marcus. I could not allow him to remain in our midst."

"The Council maintains order, Portia. Every man, woman and child in this city is guaranteed a fair trial. Those rules are the backbone of all that Celaenia stands for. No one is above the law, Portia."

"Do not quote Celaenian rules to me, Marcus. You have been away from home for many years and it is you, not I, who ran from the responsibility that comes along with the throne."

The breeze coming off of the sea could not cool the smothering heat of her anger, coloring her words with the sharpness of a knife. "He was guilty and I did what was necessary!"

"I have no doubt of that."

Portia glanced up at him. His gaze was steady, piercing her clear to her soul. Those gray eyes were so much like hers and in them she saw her hopes of a union being dashed like a boat upon the cliffs of Celaenia. Marcus would not bend. She could see it in his face, felt it in his arms when his hands slid to her shoulders to bring her closer and hold her in place.

"Are you insinuating that you do not believe what I tell you?"

"I would never dare to contradict your version of history, Portia," he responded smoothly. "I simply find it difficult to believe that no one heard my uncle cry out for help. Guards have always been posted at his private chambers and yet they heard nothing." "Caius was my father's servant for many years. Few were more trusted. No one believed he would ever harm my father."

"And yet..." His fingers tipped her chin up, gently tightening. "He was the one who took the life of my king."

"He was my king too!"

"But he is dead now and you are free to do what you please..."

Marcus murmured the words, his gaze dropping to her mouth. He felt the faint tremor of her flesh beneath his hand, his jaw tightening when she closed her eyes. He had his suspicions before, but the momentary flash of emotion in her expression confirmed her guilt.

Grief threatened to overwhelm him, the death of the only father he had ever known, weighing upon his shoulders. Had he not resisted when his uncle offered him the crown all those years ago, he would be alive now.

Silky hair brushed his knuckles as Portia broke away, stepping back to put distance between them. She could feel his eyes on her, following her every move as men so often did, but instead of desire she felt the panic of a rat caught in a cage.

"Enough of this talk. This is a feast of celebration for your safe return. We will not darken it by talk of these sad things."

"Grief is a natural emotion, Portia."

"I do not have the luxury of grief, Marcus. I have a country to rule."

"Ah yes. I heard of your impending coronation. You are marrying Marius of Syantix as your father wanted. May the gods smile upon your joy."

Portia bit her tongue as a young servant appeared with a tray and two wine goblets. Portia waited till the young woman had allowed them their privacy once more, before offering Marcus one, keeping the other for herself.

"I do not remember you taking pleasure in mocking me, Marcus. These past three years have changed you."

"I am not mocking you, Portia. I am congratulating your success in finally achieving a place on the throne as you always wanted. This time of tragedy is also one of triumph."

The sounds of joy and excitement rang through the great hall, but between her and Marcus there was only a long moment of silence. Commodus had been a fool to believe that Marcus could be turned. She would not make the same mistake.

"Do you think that I am not ready to lead a country, Marcus?"

"It does not matter what I believe, my lady."

"Yes it does. Everyone believes you are the better choice. They whisper about your greatness. Listen," she said, curling a hand around her ear. "They're saying it now. All hail Marcus, the future of Celaenia."

She smiled bitterly. "If you but asked for the throne, the High Council would tear the crown out of my hands on the day of my coronation."

"I do not want the crown, Portia."

"That's just it." Her eyes were luminous in the dark as she looked up at him, her expression pained as her hands curled into fists on the stone balcony. "You do not even want what I have worked all of my life towards achieving."

She heard the bitterness in her own voice as she lifted her chalice, lifting it in a toast. "To all of your potential which you fail to recognize, Marcus."

He remained silent as she took a healthy sip before setting the cup down, her gaze lost in the burgundy liquid.

"I recognize my own potential. I have only to make others realize it as well. I cannot do that by marrying Marius. He is a stranger to this country and will not have the interests of our people as his first priority."

Marcus said nothing, his own chalice left on the stone wall between them. She wasn't looking at him, leaving him free to study the delicate lines of her face and form. In the three years that he had been away, his cousin had become a beautiful woman with stars in her eyes and honey in her voice. The gods had blessed her with so much, mocking her perfection by poisoning her heart.

"Your father would not have chosen him for you if he did not believe that it would be a good match for you, Portia."

"He was the choice of my father, Marcus, a man who was slowly losing his mind. All of my life, people have made decisions for me, but this is by far the most unjust. How can I be expected to love and obey a man I have never met? I am no different than any other woman. I want to fall in love with a man who will be my compliment, not my keeper."

Her finger spun around the edge of her cup, her tones drifting towards him as soft as a dream. "Marry me Marcus."

The silence dragged, his expression reflecting disbelief, broad shoulders tense. He had known his cousin all of his life and looked at her now as if he had never seen her before. Portia allowed her expression to soften, his unease apparent as she moved towards him.

"Say something."

"What do you expect me to say?"

"Anything you wish. Does my offer shock you so much?"

"I have not seen you for three years and you ask me this of me? What are you after, Portia?"

"Nothing but the happiness of our people. They are yours as much as they are mine. We could rule all of Celaenia together and make this country something even greater than my father envisioned."

"Your ambitions blind you, Portia."

"My ambitions are what fuel me forward when nothing else can, Marcus. This is not just about my desires. It is about the betterment of Celaenia. Think about it."

Marcus didn't move back when she closed the distance between them, her touch as light as the breeze ruffling his hair. She was baiting him. He knew it as clearly as if the gods themselves had told him. He was a means to an end, just as her father had been. The sweetness of her perfume was meant to seduce, her lips the lush fruit that would send a man to the ends of the earth for another taste.

"Why play games, Portia?" he murmured. "You do not love me."

"It's been three years, Marcus. We are virtual strangers to one another now. We could learn to love one another like man and woman instead of cousins. You could have what so many other men desire and are denied. I would give it freely to you..."

12