Forever M'Lady

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let us wait, M'Lord. You can make these decisions in a more settled state, when we know more."

"Bad business," he chewed on his knuckle.

The Doctor arrived, pronounced one man dead without even examining him. Only a cursory examination told the Doctor that there was little he could do there but he stayed on his knees by the screaming patient and was rummaging in his large bag. "Can we get him to the cottage hospital quickly?"

Reginald was still chewing his knuckle so that left me again making the decisions..

"Yes, Doctor Rumsden. He can ride on the back of a farm trailer," Master Johnstone suggested and was already delegating the task when I turned to him.

"Thank you M'Lady. Can we get him onto something flat for a stretcher."

"You two, clear those cheeses away and we can use the trestle top," Mistress Black issued her instructions as the Constable entered, puffing heavily and looking about him.

"Here Constable," I called.

"Yes, M'Lady. What do we have?" He got out his notebook and licked his pencil.

"These two were carrying that kettle full of boiling water down those steps. One of them tripped or stumbled. This one, Sandy Fowler ..." I looked at Mistress Black for confirmation and she nodded. "... cracked his head open on the step. The Doctor has pronounced him dead. Keith Foster, the injured one was scalded by the contents of the kettle. Both of them kitchen porters. Doctor Rumsden wants him moving to the hospital immediately. That is being organised. Those four over there were witness."

"Thank you M'Lady. A most succinct summary. Is there a room where I may interview the witnesses shortly, please?"

Again Mistress Black spoke up, "The Constable may use my office, Mistress Jane." I nodded my thanks and at that moment the two girls brought the table top, covered by a sheet. Mistress Black told them to place it carefully next to Keith. She picked out four large men and Doctor Rumsden coached them on how to lift the injured man onto his stretcher. The poor man was now just moaning incoherently, obviously the Doctor had given him something to ease the pain.

A stable hand ran in, made a little bow in my direction and panted, "Mistress Jane, the farm trailer is hitched up and ready."

"Good. Carry on. Whenever you're ready, Doctor Rumsden, if that is acceptable Constable?"

"That will be fine, M'Lady. You may take him away, Doctor."

"No hurry now, M'Lady." The doctor rose, with some stiffness, to his feet and sighed. "He's gone."

I bowed my head in respect for a few seconds then, "Constable, may we remove the deceased?"

"Yes, M'Lady, it seems like an unfortunate accident to me but that is for the Coroner to say. The cadavers are to be kept safe until I can arrange for their removal."

"Thank you, Constable, do keep me informed. Master Johnstone, if you please, is there a secure place? Good, have them taken there. Mistress Black, I'll leave you to clear up the mess. A sad day for us all."

"For my notes, M'Lady, are you the Lady of Barton Court?"

"No, Constable. I am Miss Jane Fairfax, cousin of Diana Lady Barton. This is Lord Percival Barton, my host."

Percy seemed to be gathering his thoughts, at least he had stopped eating his hand. "Thank you Jane. You seem to have been in control. Shall we go?" He took my arm and escorted me to Diana's apartment and left me at the door. Annie and Eleanor were busy cleaning the rooms when I entered. "Where is Lady Diana, Eleanor?"

"She is resting her eyes on the bed, Mistress."

"Lord Percy returned to his quarters, Mistress," volunteered Annie. "He left you a note." I hurried into the bedroom and saw his note on the pillow.

"Dearest Jane, thank you so very much for last night.
With that dreadful accident, there may be much more movement around the house so I thought it more discreet if I were to return to Reginald. He may need my help, even if only a friendly face.
You will be in my heart, my Darling. I love you and send you a thousand kisses.
Your devoted fiancé, Percy."

I kissed the note, carefully refolded it and placed it with the rest of his letters then called for Annie to wash and dress me. I told her what had happened in the kitchen as she was busying herself around me. I entered Diana's bedroom, sat on her bed and told her the latest developments and suggested that she get up as there was much to do. I left her to Eleanor's ministrations as I made my way to Reginald's office.

My beloved was there with Reginald who was much more animated now. I kissed Percy then addressed my host, "Have you decided about your guests, Reginald?"

"Yes, I'll tell them of the problem. Give them the choice of staying or leaving. Percy has suggested bringing everybody to the Dining Room. Easier than telling them individually, so I shall do that at eleven of the clock this morning. Jane, you were a tower of strength this morning, my heartfelt thanks to you. Has Diana recovered? Good, she can help me spread the news. Will you keep me informed of any changes? Thank you."

"I think perhaps I should visit the kitchen again and inform Roberta about possible changes. I would imagine that the Constable has finished his interviews so we may learn a little more. Then I will be in my rooms should you need me."

"Thank you, Jane. What would I do without you?"

I made my way to Roberta's office but the Constable was still there finishing his notes so I sought Roberta in the kitchen. Together we returned to her office where the Housekeeper had a pot of tea delivered.

"Have you finished your investigations, Constable?"

"Yes, M'Lady. It appears to be just an unfortunate accident and I shall say so in my report. With your permission, I'll take my leave."

"Of course, you must have many things to do. Thank you for attending so promptly. I would be grateful if you would inform me of any developments."

"I'll do that, M'Lady." He gave me a quick bow and retired.

"Now, Mistress Black, Lord Barton will be speaking to all our guests later this morning. They will be informed of the tragic accident. Some of them may wish to leave which will obviously mean some changes to their needs. You will be kept fully informed. Would you arrange for drinks and perhaps some light refreshments in the Dining Room for eleven of the clock? Thank you. How about your staff? Do you have any problems?"

"Five of them are quite distressed, Mistress Jane. I sent them to their rooms until they are recovered and they had better recover quickly, otherwise all is in order."

"Thank you, Mistress Black. I shall leave you to carry on with your duties. Do not hesitate to contact me should you need anything."

I could do no more until the proposed meeting took place in the Dining room so I repaired to my room where I slumped into a chair. My prolonged night of passion with Percy had left me short of sleep and this morning's accident had not improved the headache, which throbbed in my temples. "Bless you Annie," I sighed as she moved behind me with those magic fingers of hers soothing the tensions in my neck. Diana returned and I was advised that she had spoken to all her guests. I think neither of us had broken our fast so I sent Annie to get us some bread and cheese and some fresh fruit. We both felt better with some substance in our bellies and I had the energy to continue. Diana left me to join Reginald so I rested quietly for a few minutes.

Chapter 16 Murder most foul

"Please Mistress Jane, Mistress Black is here to see you."

"Show her in, Annie, but don't go too far away in case I need you."

"Very good, Mistress."

I wondered what was the problem as Roberta seldom came to my rooms without a summons.

The Housekeeper entered, pushing one of her workers before me. The poor girl seemed very distressed as she bobbed a nervous curtsy. "Tell Mistress Jane what you just told me, Sarah."

With much bobbing and stumbling over her words she blurted out, "Please Mistress Jane, this morning, afore ... afore Keith ..." she seemed to lose her tongue until Mistress Black prompted her to speak up.

"Sarah and Keith have been seeing each other, Mistress Jane," the Housekeeper informed me.

"What happened, Sarah?"

"I sees Dick Thatcher come in the kitchen. I sees 'im take sommat from the butcher's waste bin and a bit later I sees 'im put worrever 'e 'ad picked up on the steps just before Keith fell and was ..." Sarah was now sobbing uncontrollably. Mistress Black was about to reprimand the girl but I shook my head.

"Sit here for a minute, Sarah. Dry you eyes and try to compose yourself. Annie, attend me. Good girl. Find Master Johnstone and say I need him urgently."

"Yes, Mistress." She left in a hurry. Sarah was now more composed.

"Please, Mistress Jane, Dick 'as bin botherin' me since I started seein' Keith. 'E's very jealous and someone told me 'e 'eard 'e was going to get Keith." Her sobs again convulsed her and she was still sniffing when Johnstone arrived.

"Master Johnstone, Sarah, here, tells me that she saw Dick Thatcher place something on the steps just before the men fell. This may be more than a simple accident so I think we need to recall the Constable."

"What was Thatcher doing in the Kitchen? He is a stable hand."

"He has come to the Kitchen several times recently, I have had to send him packing more than once. My apologies, Master Johnstone, perhaps I should have informed you earlier. It seems that Keith has been courting Sarah and Thatcher is very jealous. Apparently he has been heard uttering death threats against Keith."

"Can't be helped now, Mistress Black. Mistress Jane, I shall send for the Constable then take four big men to detain Thatcher. I will lock him up securely until the Constable arrives. If I may leave now?"

"Carry on Johnstone. Perhaps the Constable will arrive quicker if you send the coach, and let me know when you have Thatcher secured, I shall be in the Dining Room with Lord and Lady Barton and our guests. Mistress Black, Sarah should return to her quarters and remain there until the Constable can speak to her. Put two of your biggest men to guard her door until Thatcher is detained, should he try to silence her. I must inform Lord Barton of this development. Take her away. Would you also ask if any more of your people saw Thatcher this morning. The Constable may need to discover what they know."

"Very good, Mistress Jane. Come Sarah."

With a sigh, I checked the time. Everybody would be in the Dining Room soon, I had best go there myself. With a heavy heart, I entered to find our guests all looking a little puzzled. A small group, including Diana, were sitting at one end of the table sipping tea, the rest were standing around, fidgeting a little. Reginald seemed about to call the room to order when he saw me. I went to him and told him briefly of the recent turn of events.

"Ladies and gentlemen," he announced, "we have had a very unfortunate incident with the household staff this morning. This is still developing. Miss Fairfax has been helping us in this matter and is the best informed. Jane, would you share with us what you have ascertained?"

I was just about to speak when Johnstone appeared at the door with a large bruise starting to develop around his eye and he was not his usual immaculate self. He came straight to me and Reginald. "M'lord, Mistress Jane, Thatcher is safely locked in a small windowless room with two of my biggest men guarding the door."

"Well done, Johnstone," I replied. "That is a relief for us all. Has the Constable arrived yet?"

"He has just arrived, Mistress. I left him with the Housekeeper."

"Excellent. Please give him any assistance he requires. I will join Mistress Black as soon as I am finished here."

I turned to face the gathered guests. "The situation is thus: this morning we were called to the Kitchen where there had been a terrible accident. Two men were carrying a large kettle of boiling water. They had a set of steps to negotiate and one of them slipped. The kettle of water fell upon him and he was very severely scalded. He died as the Doctor was attending him. The other man cracked his skull on the steps and died instantly. This seemed like a horrible accident, which is what the Constable concluded. However a witness later reported that a man with a grudge against one of the deceased was acting suspiciously just before the accident. Therefore, it may be a case of murder. The Constable returned to Barton Court just a few minutes ago. The suspect has been detained by Lord Barton's staff and is safely under lock and key. Now, if you will all excuse me, I must return to the Kitchen."

"Thank you Jane. Please keep me informed of any developments." I left as he turned to his guests to speak. Returning to Roberta's office, I knocked before entering.

"Mistress Jane." "M'Lady," from the Housekeeper and Constable, rising from their seats.

I gestured for them to be seated. "Mistress Black, Constable, may I sit here while you conduct you're your interviews?"

Poor Sarah was sitting opposite from the Constable obviously in a state of distress. The Constable answered, "Yes, M'Lady, do please take a seat." Mistress Black went to the door, gave a quick instruction then returned to her seat.

"So you saw Thatcher pick something from the butcher's scrap bin?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Could you make out what he picked up?"

"Sir, it were white and pink, mebbe a slice o' pigskin but I couldn't swear to that."

"And what did he do next."

"I didn't see him for a bit, Sir. I was tryin' ter 'ide from 'im y'see, because 'e ... because 'e upsets me. I fears 'im bad, Sir." Another set of tears welled up in her eyes, prompting Mistress Black to extract a handkerchief from a drawer and pass it to Sarah.

"Take your time, Sarah," I assured her, "You have nothing to fear from him now, he is safely locked away."

Just then there was a knock on the door. Mistress Black opened the door to admit a still room maid bearing a pot of tea on a tray. The Housekeeper poured four cups and passed them around. Sarah took a minute or two to compose herself and blow her nose. "Sorry, M'Lady."

"That is quite all right, Sarah. Do you feel you can finish your answer for the Constable?"

"Yes, M'Lady. Well, next I see 'im, 'e was over near the steps 'n I sees 'im look all around then 'e puts sommat, what 'e 'ad picked up it looked like, 'e puts it as 'igh as 'e could on the step. Then 'e rushes to the small door, you know the one I means, Mistress Black, along that little passage by the 'otplates. Well 'e stands there until 'e sees the accident then runs away."

"You are sure that is exactly what you saw, Sarah?"

"Yes, Sir, as I remember."

"He picked something out of the butchers bin?" asked the Constable. "It was pink and white? You think it may have been pig skin? He placed what looked like what he had picked on a high step? He went hastily towards the little door and watched until the men fell? Then he ran out of the door?"

Sarah responded, "Yes, Sir." to each question as the Constable was making a note of the points.

"Tell me about your friendship with Keith Foster, Sarah."

"Me 'n Keith, well we was courtin' Sir. 'e was me boyfriend, yer see. We was to be wed 'n Dick, 'e was jealous coz 'e wanted me for 'is self. Well, last Tuesday Dick 'as me trapped in a corner 'n 'ee's molestin' me summin' terrible but my Keith came 'n 'it 'im 'n sent 'im packin'."

"Thank you Sarah. You may go now," the Constable told her. "But I may need to talk to you again. Mistress Black, would you please bring the witnesses, one by one."

The witnesses each saw part of what happened and together they corroborated Sarah's tale. Two of them knew of the bad blood between the two men. When all was through the Constable said, "I would prefer to question Thatcher in my cells, M'Lady. It is more secure there. By your leave, M'Lady." A quick nod of the head and he was gone.

"Mistress Black, a moment of your time before we go about our separate duties."

"Mistress Jane?"

"I want to thank you for today, Roberta. You and Johnstone, both. I'll speak to him later. You have been very helpful to me. Lady Diana is still not herself, she has never seen the harder side of life. You know me, Roberta, I'm not high born, I have been right at the bottom of Barton Court, now I am right at the top. Believe me, it is easy to forget you and your staff when my own contact with your department is through my maid, you or Johnstone and I only have to lift a finger for anything this great house can provide. So be it. Maybe we from the bottom of the heap are a sturdier breed. It seems that I am Acting Lady of the House until Lady Diana feels able to resume her duties.

"This has been a very busy and stressful time for you, organising for all our guests, and this morning's dreadful business has disrupted you even more. Yet you stepped up to the mark and were a big help to me. I want to thank you also, for the attitude of your staff towards me. Most of them know I used to scrub and polish pots in the still room, yet here I was giving orders to all and sundry and there was no reluctance, no hesitation, nothing but a 'Yes, Mistress Jane.'"

"Thank you, Mistress Jane. I have always been very strict about that. Yes, you were one of us but fortune smiled on you and now you are a Lady, and that is what I tell them. Now You Are A Lady. Your beating of Janice certainly helped because it marked that distinction very clearly and for a while the mention of your name would have some in a fearsome dither, others would applaud you for she was not well liked. Your whip also seems to have improved her attitude towards others. I hope you forgive the impertinence, Mistress Jane, but you will find my staff cheering for you."

I smiled my thanks and said, "We must be about our duties. I'm returning to Lord Barton now to learn of the guests' decisions. I'm a bit tired with running up and down these stairs all day so I will send you a note, no slight intended Mistress Black, so you know who is staying and who is going so you know for whom you will be catering. Again, my thanks." She curtsied and we left to go our different ways. As I stepped out, the Constable was escorting Thatcher, heavily bound in chains and restrained by two big men. He lunged at me but was held secure. His eyes were glaring as he screamed at me, "You're nowt but a friggin'servin' wench for all your airs and graces. Givin' your fuckin' orders like you was a Lady." I gave him the coldest look I could muster and stared at his glaring eyes until his eyes shifted away defeated. That short encounter had bolstered me. I walked away with my head held high as he was dragged away to his eventual doom.

I'll say it now and get it out of the way, Thatcher was found guilty on two cases of murder at the Assizes, was sentenced to hang and the sentence duly carried out. England is a little bit safer.

"Ah, Jane, what news?" asked Reginald. He was at his desk with Percy in a comfortable chair. I nodded at my lover and flopped down into a matching chair opposite with a deep sigh."

"Can I get you a drink?"

"I would love a cup of tea, Percy. No I've changed my mind, a good stiff brandy is what I need." Percy poured it for me."

"The Constable is escorting a shackled Thatcher to the cells now, arrested on two charges of murder. The girl's account tallied with statements from several other witnesses. The Constable examined Keith Foster's boot and found grease on the sole and more on the steps so it seems cut and dried. The Constable will arrange for the removal of the bodies tomorrow for the Coroner, meanwhile they are locked away safely. The Housekeeper is ready to hear what your guests have decided so she can meet their needs."

"Thank you, Jane. Percy, magnificent today, young Jane. Yes, all except the Archdens are staying on. Susan wants to take her young ones away. Cook sent us a cold lunch so dinner at seven of the clock. Back to our calendar."