Fortune Smiled

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I agree. Most important that we have people who good at planning, organizing, and managing others."

"Burt and his wife Kara are two very sharp people. Burt had his own IT company before he did an IPO and made a fortune. And Kara is no slouch either." We spent a few minutes discussing their backgrounds.

"I think they would be valuable. But we should make plan and discuss with Yonemura Shacho first. Let's decide what skills and experience we need in management team."

Damn this woman was smart. So I kissed her and she kissed me back. And we proceeded to outline what we thought would be the skill sets that we would need to start with; accounting, sales, marketing and promotions, logistics, etc. By the time we reached Honolulu, we had the outline hammered out on a huge pile of drink napkins and ballpark costed in some fashion.

We were on the ground for about two hours in Honolulu. A quick pit stop and a visit to a handy convenience store in the terminal for a snack or two, and we were back in the air bound for Narita.

"I want to involve Burt and Kara in some way. What do you think about having Burt be the US manager and take care of the administrative and logistical needs of the operation? I figure that since he started and ran a very successful IT company, he should have a pretty good handle on what it takes. And ask Kara to oversee sales and marketing and promotions? I think she'll be really good at that."

"If they do all that, what would you do?'

"Initially I'd be there to help Burt and Kara get the operation running. But once we have the procedures in place and a sales force making sales, I'd then back off and let them run it. That would free me to look into the Canadian market, the UK and other European markets."

Risa gave it a little thought then suggested, "we must make sure US operation is profitable and cash flows are generally positive before we expand to other country. That way US venture can provide funding to grow operation outside Japan. We would not be burden on company and make for stronger international market."

"I totally agree. Where the hell did you learn business?"

Risa smiled, "I own small company before. We make and sell science kits in Japan and US. But very difficult in Japan for business owned by woman. Many don't respect. Yonemura-shacho see problem and he respect my business. He offer me chance to put my company together with his and he let me do what I want. So I sell my business to Yonemura-shacho. And here I am today."

Smart lady. I think I won the lottery. So I kissed her and held her hand and she kissed me back.

----------

Our arrival back in Narita was pretty routine. We took the commuter train from the Narita airport into town, then a cab from the train station to Risa's apartment. We plunked our bags down and decided to just take a shower and go to bed; we were tired because of the long flights. We would unpack the next morning.

As we lay in bed with Risa using my shoulder as her pillow, I asked, "When would you like to be married?"

"Tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow?" I echoed.

She laughed, "No, I tease. This is important to me. So let's do properly. Maybe six months? I need to ask parents and see about arrangements."

I hugged her and she hugged me in turn, and we went to sleep.

I woke up several hours later to find that we had somehow coupled and I was buried deeply inside of Risa. We were lying on our sides with me spooning Risa.

"Oh,...... Peter ....." Risa moaned as I slowly thrust into her from behind. I must have been hitting her G-spot with each lunge as she moaned and shoved herself towards me each time.

"Risa," I whispered, "I'm going to cum ......"

"Yes, cum inside me ...... cum ..... I want ....." she moaned. And as much as I tried to hold back, I just couldn't and I filled her with my cum.

"Risa," I whispered.

"I love you," she replied as I hugged her and she held my arms tightly.

----------

Risa texted Yonemura the next morning and we arranged to meet with him over lunch. In the meantime, she decided that she needed to check in with her people and I decided to chat with Burt and Kara to see whether they might be interested in working for Yonemura's company.

So I skyped Burt and caught him in his home office as he was getting ready to shut everything down.

"Hey Peter, what's up?" Burt asked.

"How's Raymond doing?" I asked.

"He went home the day after you left. He said the doctor is still trying to figure out what happened. And he doesn't understand it either."

I laughed, "Well, it might be a good idea to not say anything to anyone and just let this episode die down a bit."

"I hope it does. So what's up Peter?"

"You know me too well."

Burt laughed, "well, we've only known each other all of our lives. So what's up?"

"Feel like going back to work?"

"What? Are you nuts?"

"Nope, and I'm very serious. I need you and Kara on this."

"On what? That Japanese company that your fiancé works for?"

"Yep. Oh, yeah, I probably forgot to tell you, but I work for the company also. Just started."

"Oh, doing what?"

"Just helping out with what I can." I smiled.

"Bull shit." Burt smiled. "So what do you have in mind?"

"The company wholesales educational robotic project kits for grades K through 12. The kits are like what our local schools use sometimes."

"Ok, I think I know what you're talking about."

"Good. The company has been doing fairly well in Japan so they now want to develop markets overseas. In particular the US, Canada, and Europe."

"Ok, makes sense. Plus there's a lot more emphasis being placed on science and technology curriculums these days. So there's probably a lot of demand for stuff like that."

"Yeah, that's the thinking." I replied.

We continued to talk about market potential and the company's need for someone to head up US operations. And Burt was slowly buying into the idea.

"So what do you think? I need you and Kara to head up the US operation and make it successful."

"How much freedom would we have?"

"Depends. I'll need to clear it with Masa Yonemura, the president, but I'm pretty sure that he would be a hand's off person so long as the division met its goals and was reasonably profitable."

"Ok. Let me talk it over with Kara when she gets home. I'm pretty sure that she's gonna want to talk with you also."

"No problem. I'm available. Just keep in the mind the time zone differences. Remember, Japan is one day ahead, and 19 hours behind."

"Ok. I'll let you know what she says."

"Thanks. In the meantime, why don't you try to put some organizational ideas down on paper and email them to me. I'll run them by Masa Yonemura and get his feedback."

"Ok. I'll try to send something out to you tomorrow or the next day."

"Great. Thanks Burt. Let me know if you and Kara have any questions."

Inside I was jumping up and down. Burt hadn't summarily dismissed the idea so that meant he found it interesting enough. Plus he had agreed to send me his thoughts on how to do it. Now if Kara bought into the idea, then we would have the team that would make this work.

I decided to find Risa's office and asked my way around, surprising more than a couple of people with my ability to speak Japanese like a native. This ability to speak in Japanese was a great gift.

'Your welcome,' I heard Obaachan say in the background and I smiled. I would definitely loved to have met her.

I was shown into Risa's office and immediately saw that this was more than a simple department office. It was more like a lab. During my previous visit to her office, Risa met me in the reception area of her office. This time I was led past the receptionist to the back office area.

Work tables and counter tops were the first thing I encountered, with science kits in various stages of completion on them. Several staff members were assembling the kits.

Risa saw me enter and came over to greet me with a kiss. And I hugged her as we kissed.

"So what happens here?" I asked.

"Here is where kits are inspected. After problem happen, we inspect new sample kits here before we buy."

"What happened with the kit that had the instruction sheet error in Yamagata?"

"We check. We inspected original kit however manufacturer change printer after first run. So translation error occur later. Now we random test all kits. So far we find two other errors."

"What happens then?"

"We tell manufacturer about error and require that he correct and resupply all defective kits in our inventory and any future returns. If not then we drop manufacturer. Is very bad for business if errors not fixed."

I nodded my head in agreement.

"Where are our manufacturers located?" I asked.

"Several in China, two in South Korea, two in Vietnam. We looking at manufacturer in Philippines and one here in Japan also."

"Are we looking for new manufacturers?"

"New manufacturers send us sample kits every month. Most are not interesting."

"Ever thought about designing our own kit?"

"No. We not do that. But perhaps we should think about idea."

"I was thinking that we might think about a basic robot kit that can do standard functions. Perhaps increase their complexity and sophistication depending on age ranges. Then we supply additional modules that provide complementing capabilities."

Risa was beginning to smile as she called her lab technicians together so that we could all discuss the idea. We must have spent another hour tossing around opinions and ideas until Risa called a halt and instructed one of the lab techs to draft a summary memo that Risa could present at their next manager's meeting. To say that they were excited was to put it mildly. They had never been involved in design work before.

"Sekimura-shocho, you do electrical design work before, yes?" one of the lab techs asked.

"Hai."

"How difficult is it to do?"

"Not very. You start with a basic idea of what you want. That forms the basic robot. Then we look at what we could add to the basic robot to enable it to perform other functions. Perhaps to lift and throw objects, or to be able to move in any direction at any time, or to be able to right itself if it were knocked over somehow. A wireless controller. Spring loaded arms. Sensors to detect motion or barriers in front of it."

"I see. So each different capability would be an additional module that school can buy."

"Yes. And we should make them all compatible so all of the modules can be added to the robot at the same time. We'll probably need to provide upgraded power supplies also."

The lab technicians were getting really enthused with the idea. Risa smiled as the techs began to add their opinions of the different capabilities that we could supply.

Risa told me, "I think this is start of very good product idea for our company. I think this make our robot kits even more affordable for schools. And encourage schools to use our kits for many years."

We left her team to join Yonemura-Shacho for lunch. I brought Masa up to date with our thoughts about getting the North American market group up and running.

"Peter, Risa, many good thoughts. I think the basic concept makes a lot of sense. Still a lot of work needs to be done, but I think the plan is very workable. Please start work on it."

"When do we approach Burt and Kara?"

"You speak with them already?"

"Briefly. Just to see if they would be interested. Nothing more."

"And?"

"Burt was interested and will be speaking with his wife. If the plan didn't appeal to him he would have brushed me off quickly."

Masa nodded his head. "Let me know what they have to say. I want to meet them before we finalize any relationship with them."

I nodded my head in agreement. "Hai, so desu."

Masa tuned to Risa, "And when will you be getting married?" he asked with a smile.

"Maybe six months, but I must speak with my parents and we must make plans first. We will let you know."

"I am very happy for both of you." Masa replied. "I can feel the energy from both of you."

Risa blushed, "Peter's relatives in Hirasaki; their grandmother say that she can see that we are already a couple."

Masa smiled and nodded his head in agreement. "Anyone who knows you can see that also. Omedetto (congratulations)."

"Shacho," Risa said, "Sekimura-shocho gave good idea to lab technicians in my area this morning."

"Oh?"

"Yes. He suggest to lab techs that they design basic robot kit, then also design modules that give basic robot new capabilities that can be purchased separately."

Masa nodded his head. "So school buy basic kit, then buy design modules to add to basic robot?"

"Hai. That way school up front cost is normal, but each new design module not cost like entire new kit."

Masa's face lit up, "help make our kits very price competitive. Schools will like this approach. Yes?"

"Hai, so desu. We think so. And once they buy basic kit, makes good sense to just buy design modules. And we develop new design modules each year. So school will most likely stay with our kits for many years."

He turned to me, "Shocho, you prove your value to our company again."

Then he turned to Risa, "Risa, please expedite this idea. Please have business plan by end of next week for board to review. This will help us improve our share of market."

"Hai, Shacho. Lab technicians are coming up with design ideas for modules already. We can do this for many age level robot kits. This very exciting."

We were all enthused with the potential of this endeavor.

After lunch Risa and I returned to our offices and I Skyped Burt and left a message for him to call me. It was late evening, yesterday, in Denver. I gotta remember the time zone differences. 2:00pm here meant 10:00pm yesterday in Denver.

I emailed the picture of the family that ran the restaurant in Hirosaki to Itsuke Iwamasa at the temple in Yamagata. I then called and informed Itsuke of the courtesy that the family paid to Risa and myself, and asked if it were possible to favor them in some fitting manner.

Itsuke replied that it had already been taken care of. That obaachan had them send the family a charm known as an Omamori, on behalf of Risa and myself. And with obaachan behind it, I was sure that it would provide the family with a lifetime of good fortune.

Itsuke asked, "I understand that your life has changed for the good?"

I smiled back, "Yes. That would be an understatement."

He nodded and smiled in return. "May you live an exciting and fulfilling life."

"Domoo arigato, Itsuke san. Your thoughtful guidance and advice helped me tremendously. I will be in your debt forever."

"Peter, there is no debt. There is just honoring the life that you live; making this world a better place for everyone."

After our conversation was done, I asked myself how could I express my appreciation to Obaachan for her help.

"You may do so by doing as Itsuke has told you," Obaachan said in my mind. "Live your life to its fullest potential. Always help others."

I nodded. "Hai, sensei (teacher)." I thought to Obaachan. And I felt a tremendous warmth spread through my body; invigorating, pleasurable, happiness. I don't know how else to describe what I was feeling.

----------

Several days later, Risa and I were having breakfast with Masa Yonemura. Risa had finished a draft of the business proposal to design our own robotic kits and he had several questions and suggestions to go over. Which we did. Masa is no slouch. Good questions that helped to identify things that we had not thought about and his suggestions made a lot of sense.

"So Peter, where will you live? Here or in the US?" Masa asked.

"Risa and I decided that we'll spend some time here in Japan and some time in the US. Probably a lot more time in the US initially until Burt and Kara get up to speed. Which reminds me that I better get in touch with Burt. He sent over his thoughts on how he thinks the US operation should be set up and I had a couple of questions for him."

Risa nodded her head. "We need to find bigger apartment. My apartment too small for both of us."

"Why apartment? Why not buy house?" Masa asked.

"House very expensive, Shacho. I don't know if we can afford." Risa replied.

Masa laughed, "excuse please. Peter, you not ask about compensation package so I forget to review with you. But company give you signing bonus plus salary that is appropriate for your contribution to our company. Also, annual bonus tied to company performance. And ownership interest in company."

Masa threw some numbers in my direction that left me and Risa completely speechless.

"Masa, that is overly generous. Much more than I think is appropriate."

"Oh no, Peter-san. You have shown your value to our company many times in just the short time that you have been here. Board is very happy and fully supports this. Please accept."

I dipped my head to him, "I am humbled by your generosity. I will try to live up to your expectations."

He smiled, "I have no reservations. I can feel the excitement that is beginning to ripple through our company. All this is your doing, Peter-san."

----------

Risa and I decided to buy an older home in the Higashiyama district of Narita. It is on the eastern edge of the town and at the foot of a mountainous area. It sits on a former farm lot that had been carved up and sold off piece by piece over the years. What remained was the equivalent of about an acre of land and a large, older home.

Masa's signing bonus was used to purchase the home, with more than a little left over that we used for several upgrades to the home's electrical system and plumbing. And of course, we installed our very own hot tub in the washroom. Risa made sure that it was family-sized.

Risa and I somehow found the time to get married in the midst of all of this. Risa's parents came to visit us for a week and Burt, Kara and the rest of the gang also came for our wedding. Although we preferred to have a simple, quiet ceremony, we were over-ruled by Masa, Itsuke, Obaachan (yes, she was quite vocal with her objection), and even Kenji Kawabata, my long, lost relative.

I can still hear Kenji's objections, "Peter, you are a Sekimura. Your family is councilor to Daimyo's past and present. Your marriage is not a matter to be trifled with." He even went so far as to bring the village's temple head priest to perform a formal Buddhist wedding ceremony.

Burt and Kara agreed to head up the US operation and they worked tirelessly to get it up and running within nine months. The company was turning profits within another six months. Our manufacturers were having a difficult time keeping up with the growth in sales from the US as well as Japan. Masa gave Burt and Kara an ownership interest in the US operation and they never looked back. They even used the US operation as a spring board to sell into the European markets.

Risa and I visit with the Kawabata's frequently. The Kawabata's use their land holdings to farm a number of different crops. Rice, of course, took up a major portion of their land. But they also farmed shiitake and matsutake mushrooms in several large converted warehouses. They ran a fresh produce wholesaling operation and processed and marketed the harvests of many of the area's farmers.

I asked Obaachan if she and Itsuke would take the time and work with Kenji. She laughed as Itsuke had already sent him an invitation. I called Kenji as I was sure that he would have many questions.

"Peter, this man, Itsuke, he is a most respected teacher. You know he has written many books on spiritual guidance and finding leadership from within one's self. It was an honor to receive his invitation."

That was news to me. I asked Itsuke about the books that he had written and he shrugged his shoulders and smiled. "I was bored and the words just came." Just like him to be humble and to treat such esteem as being undeserved and overrated.

1...456789