Friends Like You...

Story Info
Sometimes, you can't trust even the closest friend.
13.1k words
4.42
242.9k
106
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
muirmadra
muirmadra
541 Followers

"Oh what a tangled web..."
-Sir Walter Scott

Well, it happened. I said it never could but, fuck me, was I ever wrong. I lay on the bed staring at the ceiling rubbing my eyes trying not to disturb the woman next to me. Hell, I didn't even know her name. Shit, for that matter...I didn't know where I was or how I got here.

All I could remember was me and my buddies, Kenny and Dwight, going out last night for a few beers and a good time. I can't remember how many bars we hit but the last one was the best, The Pink Lady & Company. I can't even remember leaving the place so I must have crashed and somehow ended up in this bed with a beautiful redhead sleeping next to me. And, I knew I was in big trouble...big, big trouble.

You see, I'm a married man—at least for now, married to a gorgeous brunette who is an expert marksman with the pistol and has a quick temper. You see, she's a cop, a homicide dick. Me, hell, I'm just a lowly flatfooted blue suit driving a black and white hack.

I'm Robert McNamara, Bobby to my friends, and currently work the City's westside as a patrol sergeant. Sherry and I have been married going on twelve years so far and we've had our ups and downs. Let's face it, to be an effective cop, you've got to have a pretty strong personality with a matching ego. And, we both did. The two of us, well, we've had some nasty, down in the gutter, fights and always thought we were right about the argument that started our free for alls. Eventually, after several days of avoiding the other, we would forget the past and make up, and, boy, did we make up. We've been too busy in our careers to worry about starting a family; though, I believe Sherry's concerned over it. Maybe her biological clock has started banging away. She hasn't said anything yet.

Anyway, I digress. Now, I find myself naked in an unknown room, in a strange bed with an anonymous woman. Maybe my closest friend Dwight can help me.

*********************

Dwight's a long time friend from high school and college. We played football in college but we never finished school. Together, we waltzed into the nearest Marine Recruitment office and signed up. We spent nearly two tours in Afghanistan until Dwight's injury from a roadside bomb. He was doing convoy duty when the device went off sending shrapnel up through the chassis into his thigh just above the knee.

I was on base when I heard the news and rushed to the hospital. When I got there, they were busy trying to save the leg. It was the third time in my life I cried, the first when I was born and second time at my father's funeral. Dwight was like a brother to me. Later that evening, the doc told me they were able to save the leg but he would suffer a noticeable limp for the rest of his life. They sent him stateside and later discharged from the Corps. While stateside, he managed to get into investment brokerage and trading making some decent coin.

Finishing my second tour, I was sent stateside assigned to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, instructing new recruits. A year later, I received my walking papers and returned home temporarily settling in with my mother, helping her around the house and with the finances. After a few weeks home, Dwight and Kenny (an old high school buddy to both of us) and I got together for a few beers down at the local watering hole.

As we sat there beating our breasts about our exploits and other lies, I spied a uniformed police officer enter the establishment and speak with the bartender. A second officer stood by the entrance. The bartender nodded pointing toward the pool tables in the back room and the officer nodded, looked at his partner and gestured toward the back.

"Looks like some excitement's gonna come our way," said Dwight.

"Maybe," I replied never taking my eyes of the local gendarmes.

"Shit, don't like cops," muttered Kenny. "They busted me a month back for possession."

Dwight laughed but I replied, "No shit, Sherlock...I woulda busted you too, dumbshit. What are ya doing with that crap anyway? High schools long over." I was never one to hide my feelings.

"Okay, okay...I screwed up. Jeez, you'd think you've never fucked up before," cried Kenny.

Suddenly, a loud crash and screaming came from the back. Before I knew what I was doing, I was already halfway there when some low life came barreling out of the back directly toward me. I saw him stare at me as he came but he didn't expect the close-line, and struck head-on into my extended arm. His feet swung out from under him as he fell like a stone smacking the back of his head on the hard wood floor. When I looked down, he was out for the count.

"Dwight, stay with this fuck head!" I yelled and ran into the back room.

Two other biker type assholes were in a clinch with the two cops, one of them trying to get the second officer's gun. I rushed over and grabbed the asshole's long greasy hair and yanked him back. He growled and turned toward me.

"You just made a big fucking mistake, shit for brains," he snarled and came at me. My hands had already curled around a cue stick and as he ran at me, his face making contact with the heavier end. I heard a crack as his nose shattered and he screamed as he rushed me. His hands grabbed my throat pushing me back; however, the stick was still in my hands. I watched as his eyes bugged out and his mouth formed a perfect O. He fell to his knees clutching his balls before vomiting on my boots.

"You fucking piece of shit," I yelled as I wiped the puke off my boots onto his filthy leather vest. Then I kicked him as hard as I could in the face sending him backward slamming his head against the pool table.

The second cop was able to assist in gaining control of the other biker and soon they had him cuffed. They grabbed the asswipe that was groaning and holding his nuts as he lay next to the pool table. Soon, the bar was full of cops, all of them ready for bear. Seems some of them were disappointed when they found all the participants out or in custody.

I returned to our table to find both Dwight and Kenny staring at me with their mouths open.

"Jesus Christ, Bobby! What the hell was all that about? You tryin to get yourself killed?" Kenny was a little wound up as he squawked.

"Dunno man," I replied looking somewhat sheepish. I took a long swig of my beer when Dwight started laughing.

"Shit, just can't stop bein the top dog, can ya?" he chuckled. "Gotta mix it up."

I smiled and said, "Hey, you can take the man out of the Corps but you can't take the Corps out of the man."

"Semper Fi," we said together, laughing, and smacked our mugs together.

"Excuse me, I hate to interrupt this special moment between you two, but would you step outside for a moment."

We looked up and saw a gorgeous brunette in a blue suit with a badge standing there, her hand on her sidearm. My mouth fell open as I stared into those incredibly soft light brown eyes. Glancing at her name tag, I read S. Whitley. Looking at her uniform, which she filled perfectly, I noticed she was a slick sleeve.

Standing, I said was Bob McNamara and would be pleased to make her acquaintance. She smiled and said she was ordered to come inside and find me. I smiled and said in my best Wayne impression, "Well...little missy, ya found me."

She rolled her eyes and turned as I followed her outside, temporarily blinded by all the flashing red and blue lights. Three officers approached me, one a three striper.

"Mr....?" the sergeant asked.

"Bob...uh...Robert McNamara, how can I help you?"

I stared at the sergeant as he smiled and replied, "I believe you already have. I just wanted to thank you for your assistance in the bar. From what Officer Reed said, the assho...the culprit was almost successful in getting Reed's gun until you interceded. There's not many that would do that. Listen, can you give Officer Whitley your name, address and a phone number were we can reach you. I'd like to speak with you again, if you don't mind.

"Uh...no, not at all Sgt...?"

"Sorry about that...Weston, Sgt. Weston."

"Sure, Sgt. Weston...be glad to help."

I ended up shaking hands with the sergeant and the other two officers I had helped earlier. They were very gracious, the older one asking, "Corps?"

I smiled and nodded. He said, "Figured...thanks again," shook my hand one more time and turned away.

I swung around to face the beautiful Officer Whitley.

Staring into my eyes, she said, "Okay, now I have your name, how about your address and phone number?"

"Sure, as soon as you give me your phone number," I replied, a huge grin plastered across my face. "Sorry, doesn't work that way slick," she chuckled. "This is for the Sarge. I can always tell him you refused."

I sighed and said, "Okay, 2134 W. Euclid, 645-7856."

"Now, see that wasn't so hard, was it? Thank you." With that she turned and walked away, that scrumptious ass swaying seductively below her gun belt. Watching her leave, a lump formed in my throat and nearly choked when she glanced back and smiled.

When I returned to the bar, Dwight was laughing and Kenny, smacking his forehead, appeared upset.

"You got eyes for a cop?" he whined.

"Shit, she's fuckin gorgeous Bobby! Get her number?"

Shaking my head, I told them I tried but it wasn't to be displaying my best sad puppy eyes. They both started laughing, Kenny shaking his head muttering, "It ain't right, it just ain't right."

To shorten this story, I joined the police force, spent the next five years in patrol, next moving into Narcotics, became a sniper on the SWAT team and, a year later, promoted to sergeant.

During this time, I suffered many unsuccessful attempts to get Sherry to go on a date with me.

Oh and by the way, don't think I joined the force and did all that just to impress Officer S. Whitley. The first time I mixed it up in that bar, I decided then and there I wanted to become a cop.

Finally, Officer Whitley relented. Much to her better judgment, Sharry went out with me and had a surprisingly good time. After that, we began dating on a regular basis but it was three months before I was able to woo her into my bed. By this time I had fallen so deeply in love with Sherry, I was going crazy knowing she was dating other guys. Finally, I had enough. One evening, while working graveyard, I called her.

"Hello? Bobby, that you? It's three in the morning you bonehead!"

"Sherry, I love you more that you could ever know. I need to see you right now!"

"Bobby, you're scaring me. Why can't this wait until...?"

"Sherry, this can't wait. Please, I need to see you."

Exasperated she said, "Okay...okay, give me a couple of minutes to wake up and get dressed. Where are you?"

"Parked in front of your complex."

"Shit, Bobby...kinda out of your jurisdiction, don't you think?"

"Don't care...I need to see you now."

Five minutes later, she was standing by the black and white scolding me for being out of the city.

"For god's sake, Sergeant Robert E. McNamara, what has gotten into to you. You know the watch commander has a GPS tracking monitor. He's gonna see you're out of the city and way out of your division."

"Sherry, we've been going together for over six months now. I know you've been going out with other guys and it's killing me."

I took her hands, gazing into her face now scrunched with concern. I reached into my pocket and removed a small black box. I heard her gasp and whisper, "No."

"Sherry, I love you more than anything or anyone. I want you to grow old with me, to be my wife. Sherry, will you marry me?"

I opened the box and thought, there...I said it. No taking it back now.

For what seemed an eternity, she stared at the little black box, at the white gold band with a one karat marquis cut diamond ring lying on top of pale blue satin material. As I stared at her, tears began to form at the corners of her beautiful eyes. She looked up into mine and sniffled. I reached over and gently wiping away the tears and before I could remove my hand, she took it and held it to her cheek.

"Yes," she said so quietly I wasn't sure she had said it.

"What?" I asked afraid of the answer.

"Yes, I'll marry you," she answered rushing into my arms. I felt her crying, her tears soaking my uniform. I removed the ring and, as she held out her left hand, slipped it over her finger. Perfect fit.

My packset squelched and I answered the call. "Unit Sam423?"

"Sam423!" I answered.

"Well?" I recognized Lt. Blakley's voice. "She said yes!"

"Congratulations, now get back in the city, Pronto!"

"Ten-four and thanks LT," I replied. Looking at Sherry, she smile and kissed me deeply for several seconds before she repeated the Lieutenant's order, "Now get back in the city, Pronto...Sgt. McNamara."

I hugged her fiercely and kissed her before I let go. She wiped the tears from her face as she held my hand and kissed it. She brought her ring to her lips and kissed the stone, watching as I got in my patrol car. Just as I was about to pull away, she screamed, "Wait!"

Sherry ran to the side window, reached in and kissed me one more time. "Okay, now go!"

With that, I left and returned to the station and, moment I entered the building, was paged the to proceed to the briefing room. As I entered, my entire squad, the East Division squad and the LT were all standing there clapping and cheering. Nearly in tears, I stood there as everyone slapped me on the back saying "way to go." Finally, I told my squad, "Shit, isn't anyone on the streets now, hit the bricks you loafers." Everyone laughed as they left the briefing room.

When Sherry and I married, Dwight was my best man and Kenny one of my entourage. The wedding was great but the preceding bachelor party was a blast. Dwight and the guys from my squad put together one hell of celebration, complete with a live band and strippers. Though I saw no evidence of it, knowing Dwight I also expected some of those strippers may have been high priced hookers. That was the last thing I needed before my wedding day but Dwight made sure I went through the usual soon to be ex-single guy hazing. He had me sit in a chair in the middle of a circle made of all the guys as each stripper did her thing. At times, I thought I was going to explode through my jeans but I maintained...much to their disappointment. I think Dwight offered a bonus to any girl that could make me pop my cork. Didn't happen.

The reception went off without a hitch, Dwight presenting the toast as a graveside eulogy. One thing I did notice, Dwight never took his eyes off Sherry. I knew he was attracted to her and, on several occasions, joked about keeping his hands to himself but I trusted him implicitly. He would never do anything to hurt me or Sherry.

****************

I looked over at the redhead and gently tapped her on the shoulder.

"Mmmm...wha...what?"

"Excuse me but...who are you?"

She slowly turned over and looked at me, confusion then alarm in those blue eyes.

"Uh...I think I should be asking you that question, don't you think?"

Okay, now I was baffled as all hell.

"Let's start over, okay? My name is Bob...Bobby McNamara, what's yours?"

She didn't look well and, with some irritation, replied, "Suzanne, Suzanne O'Connor. Now, can you please tell me how I ended up in your bed?"

"Ah...Suzanne, you may not believe this but...this is not my bed. I don't know where the hell I am or how I got here. Plus, I certainly don't remember you, and...I definitely would not forget someone so gorgeous!"

She gave a kind of half smile before saying, "Bobby, I have no idea what happened last night. I remember being out with my girlfriends for the evening. The last thing I remember was meeting this cute guy at the Pink Lady. We danced and had a few drinks. The next thing I know, you're waking me up."

She sat up holding the bed sheet to her neck. I already knew we were both nude.

"Did we...?" she hesitantly asked.

"I don't know, I don't remember doing anything...but I really don't know," I said. "Look, I would never have gone looking for this. I'm married to a wonderful woman and wouldn't do anything to jeopardize my marriage. At least, I hope I didn't. Don't get me wrong, you're a beautiful girl and if I wasn't happily married, hell, I'd fight any guy that was between me and you just to meet you. But, I love my wife."

The redhead smiled and looked around. Wrapping the bed sheet around her lithe frame, she rose and made for the bathroom. After several minutes, she came out wearing a pair of trendy faded denims, a white halter top and a short denim jacket. She was holding a pair of red shit-kicker cowboy boots in her right hand.

Looking relieved she said, "I found my clothes in the bathroom. And, no...we didn't."

Stupidly, I just stared at her because she repeated, "We didn't do it!"

"Oh...right, thank god! I'm sorry, that didn't come out right. I'm just glad I didn't cheat on my wife."

Suzanne giggled and approached me. I was under the blanket when she leaned down and kissed me on the cheek.

"Your wife is a very lucky woman. If you weren't married, I could so easily go for you."

Now it was my turn to blush and smile, "Thank you." I started thinking I'd better get her number just in case I might need a good defense.

"Suzanne, please don't misunderstand this but would you give me a number I can reach you at?"

She hesitated before reaching into her purse and pulling out a card handing it to me. It was a business card of a well known law firm, O'Connor, Doyle and Witherspoon. I looked up, "O'Connor?"

She gave a slight shrug and said, "My father. I just finished my law review and he's willing to take me on."

She laughed when I said I might later need her professional services. "If your wife loves you as much as you love her...you won't need it."

Suzanne smiled and left the room. I laid there trying to think back to last night. What the hell happened, I thought. Then I thought, shit...I'd better get home! I found my clothes on the chair next to the bed and quickly dressed. I recognized the lobby as the old Baxter Motel and walked to the registration desk. A scroungy looking clerk wearing a cheap suit asked what I needed.

"Hey, when did I check in last night? Room 157."

I stared as he checked the computer and said, "Bout two in the morning, Mr. Copperfield. You're already paid for the night so everything is square."

Mr. Copperfield? "How was the room paid for," I questioned.

"Cash up front, says here. The night clerk checked you in. There's a notation saying you were with your wife."

Oh, this is getting better by the minute. "Do you have any other info; such as, driver's license, vehicle description and license, anything else?"

"No...since the clerk accepted cash up front, he didn't bother to ask for anything else. Says here, you and your Missus paid cash and went directly to the room."

"Uh...when does the night clerk come on duty?" I was getting worried.

"Sorry sir, but he doesn't come back to work until the next week, Friday...I think. Ask for Jimmy Freeman."

I slipped the clerk a twenty and walked outside looking for my car. I wasn't sure it would be but there it was. Someone went to a lot of trouble to set this up.

By the time I got home, Sherry was already at work. I jumped in the shower failing to see a few items missing from the vanity. After I toweled off, I realized there was a problem, Sherry's personal items were gone. Running into the bedroom, I discovered some of her clothes were absent and, checking the drawers, most of her undergarments were absent. God damn it all to hell, I thought, someone has done a good job of setting me up.

I tried calling her cell but she was obviously screening her calls. When I called the station and asked for her, the secretary informed me Sherry checked out and was in the field for the day. "Son of a bitch," I growled. How the hell am I going to get that hot headed wife of mine to listen. I decided to call Dwight and find out what the fuck happened last night.

muirmadra
muirmadra
541 Followers