Frozen Mothballs Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Good." I said. "Maybe he'll talk."

"What do you think he'll tell us, sir?" asked Jerome, who was in full-on 'learning' mode, I was happy to see.

"Who put him up to this." I said. "It's political corruption, if I read the cards correctly. I just hope we can get a name, bust someone up."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thirty minutes later, LaCroix and his lawyer were still talking.

"Think they're stalling?" Cindy asked as we watched from the anteroom.

"Yes and no." I said "I think LaCroix would love to drag it out, so that if we say anything, he can accuse us of what he was being accused of when he tried to not give me sufficient time to talk to the Union rep."

"At the same time," I continued, "I get the sense they're haggling over just what to do. Take any kind of deal, and LaCroix is open to being asked anything about anything. I'll bet in the end he doesn't take a deal."

"What then?" asked Paulina Patterson, who had just come in. "Folsom will personally hear the arraignment and all the other procedures if LaCroix doesn't wave anything, but I'll tell you now: unless you have one of your patented bombshells, LaCroix is going to get bail, nothing heavy, and he may or may not get ankle monitoring."

"Work hard to get him ankle monitored as a flight risk." I said. "And try to get the bail as high as you can... just so we can see who pays it."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy knocked on the glass, then went into I-2. "Just wanted to tell you that it's nearly suppertime, and your client will be taken to the cells to eat. He also won't get any hearings until your conference with him is over. Not denying you the time you need; talk as long as you want." With that, she withdrew from the room.

The lawyer banged on the glass less than one minute later. When Cindy and Paulina went in, Wayne LaCroix looked at them as if he were three-sheets-to-the-wind drunk, and said "I am invoking my Fifth Amendment rights. I want my hearing immediately."

"It's late; we'll see if we can fit you in, or if you'll have to wait until morning." said Paulina, making the loser pay for wasting our time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Judge Folsom would've worked 3am Night Court to handle this one. Wayne LaCroix was brought into the Courthouse complex's smallest Courtroom.

"So let me be clear here, Ms. Patterson." said Judge Folsom. "Mr. LaCroix here barged into the room where Commander Troy was having a privileged conversation with a Union official. That in itself is a near-miracle... the Iron Crowbar talking to a Union rep, that is."

"Commander Troy is entitled to his Constitutional rights, Your Honor." Paulina said, either not catching the judge's attempt at humor, or not liking it. In any case, Folsom looked at her with something resembling a glare.

"Yes, yes he does." said the Judge. "So the defendant came into the room, looking around, which gave Commander Troy probable cause to search for bugs... and Commander Troy found those bugs. Now you understand that the defense is going to to have a field day asking how Commander Troy knew to look, had a device that could find them, and so on."

"We are ready to answer those questions at the proper time, Your Honor." said Paulina.

"Your Honor," said the defense lawyer, "we will not be waiving any preliminary hearings, and will be requiring Commander Troy to 'show cause' for all of his actions at City Hall today."

"Fine, fine." said Judge Folsom. "Then your client will be spending the night at Police Headquarters, or County Jail if the Police prefer that. I can't have a bail hearing until all that is cleared up, of course."

"Your Honor, we're asking that the defendant be released on his own recognizance until any hearings are scheduled, and that there be no bail at all." said the wily defense attorney.

"Prosecution?" asked the Judge.

"Your Honor," said Paulina, "we consider the defendant to be an enormous flight risk. He has no ties to the community, and every reason to flee the jurisdiction. We therefore ask that he be detained until the show-cause hearing can be held, and in any bail situation we'll be asking for ankle monitoring and the maximum bail allowable under the law."

The Judge nodded. "I'm not saying every law and every case is not important in our System of Criminal Justice, but this one has to rank among the smaller ones. If it weren't for the issue of the FBI filing papers already to keep Mr. LaCroix detained while Federal charges are being filed, I would only require ankle monitoring. As it is, bail will be set, and at $100,000. That bail can be revoked at any time formal Federal charges are filed, so I'd suggest you stay at home, Mr. LaCroix. And yes, ankle monitoring will be required."

The judge set hearing times for Monday morning, then banged his gavel. All rose as he left the Courtroom.

Ten minutes later, LaCroix's bail was met. Lawyers Jay Swenson and Ken Eidex had paid the bail on behalf of Citizens For Police Accountability.

Part 9 - Frozen Legislation

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" yelled the lovely redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, February 17th, from in front of the Courthouse. "Channel Two News has learned that Board of Inquiry lawyer Wayne LaCroix was arrested after using bugs in a room to listen in on privileged conversations between a Police Officer and his Union rep yesterday!"

"Listening equipment was found near the Board of Inquiry chamber, and bugs were found in the room where the Police Officer and his Union rep were talking. The Board of Inquiry has suspended Mr. LaCroix pending a further investigation, while criminal charges and possible Federal charges are being pursued. Commander Donald Troy has also filed a petition with the State Bar to have Wayne LaCroix disbarred. Mr. LaCroix will face formal hearings on Monday. His extremely high bail was met, paid for by a group of concerned citizens."

"But it is State news that our viewers are watching," said Bettina, "and it is the battle in the Legislature over the budget and the SBI bill that are beginning to wear on the People's patience. There is still no breakthrough, no compromise. Republican Wilson Hammonds's attempt to introduce the Democrat plan for the SBI as part of the budget in his Ways & Means Committee was shot down by First District Representative Billy Williams and a coalition of hardline Conservatives."

"Telling us what wears on our patience." I said in MCD. "Bettina telling us how WE feel. Telling us what to feel, and what to think."

"And what part of this surprises you?" asked Cindy Ross, somewhat acidly. I deduced she was getting tired of my bitching.

"Yeah, I know." I said. "I'll go vent in my office." I refilled my coffee cup and was about to go, when Joanne Warner stopped me.

"Sir!" she said loudly. "Why wouldn't Bettina name the 'Police Officer' who was being bugged. We know it was you, sir, and that you found the bugs."

"It was me." I said, coming back into the room. "So let's look at it... why did Bettina frame things the way she did? Why didn't she mention my name... at this time?"

"She didn't want to give you credit for finding the bugs?" guessed Theo.

"That is part of of it... small part, though." I replied. Everyone else was stymied, it seemed.

"I'm not sure exactly why." said Cindy. "But I think she's setting up something to spring on you later."

"Ahhhhh." I said. "The Green Crowbar is close, very close." I think my comment startled Cindy as much as anyone, but got the Detectives to thinking again. Just then, the Miltons came in and poured coffee. Theo replayed Bettina's comments that we'd DVR'd (we'd gotten in the habit of DVR'ing the Bettina Broadcast every week-morning), and the discussion continued.

"Oh, I get it." said Mary Mahoney Milton. "You guys have to realize we know a lot more about Police and Court matters than most people out there. When they hear that a 'Police Officer and Union Rep are facing a Board of Inquiry, they immediately are going to think it's bad for that Police Officer, that he's in trouble."

"Ah, Goth Girl catches on fast." I said with a smile. "So what does that mean?"

"Ohhhhhhhh." said Joanne. "By not mentioning your name, it sounds like they're hiding it from the Public... so when it comes out later, it sounds even worse for you, Commander."

"Eggg-zactly." I said. "My name was mentioned only is trying to get LaCroix disbarred, which is certainly true. Bettina plans to come out later with my name as the one under the Board of Inquiry, then makes it look like I'm retaliating against poor Wayne LaCroix for doing his job to inquire about me."

"It's not like you weren't inquired about twice before." said Cindy. "Particularly the two times you were awarded the Medal of Valor." There was agreement with that.

"And like Mary said... the Public does not realize that, or will not remember it." I said. "Okay, let's get to work. Mary, Myron, if you'll come to my office, please..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Yes sir," said Myron, "we're still working on the Citizens For Police Accountability. Well, we have flags on their known bank accounts. But we'll have to get a brand new warrant, with brand new probable cause, if they open any new bank accounts. There is no money flowing through the ones we're monitoring. Where the $10,000 came from to make the ten percent of that $100,000 bail, I don't know, but it wasn't those accounts."

"It could've been cash." I said. "But they're the ones... at least Eidex and Swenson are the ones. Anything new on them?"

"No sir." said Myron. "They've had credit hits... but that just means their credit was hard-checked. They've rented an apartment near University Avenue, in Jay Swenson's name. So it looks like they're here for a while, at least."

"No surprise there." I said. "Okay, anything else? I'm going to the City with Captain Ross today. As scary as this is, you are technically in charge of MCD, Supervisor Milton. Don't let the power go to your head, and don't be swayed by your lovely wife's feminine wiles to do something naughty."

"Oh, that's a lost cause, sir." said Myron with a grin. Mary was laughing so hard she couldn't speak for a moment.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So why aren't we going to Westphalia?" asked Cindy. "Moe Molinari's district is Westphalia and Eastphalia."

"True," I said, "but he maintains an office in the Wright Building in the City, which he uses for what he calls 'quiet' business. Meeting with Jimmy Cerone is definitely something he wants kept on the 'down-low'."

"Cerone..." Cindy said, then went into a reverie. She came out and said "The SBI bill... something must be going on with that."

"I hope so, anyway." I said. "By the way, I need to call Jack Muscone and his FBI peeps." I placed that call...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Wright Building was just west of the Cannon Building, the skyscraper from which Henry R. Wargrave had fallen to his most very timely death. Cindy and I were in plainclothes, and were logged in as SBI Reservists solely so we could carry guns in the City without problems. We both had Federal Firearms Permits, but the City had restrictions that infringed upon the 2nd Amendment.

As we got out of the elevator, we saw two groups of men in suits, looking at us warily.

"Sorry, you can't go in with weapons." one man said.

"You're kidding." I said. They all began to square up to me.

"It's all right, guys." said a voice behind them. It was State Senator Moe Molinari. "The Iron Crowbar and his partner are extremely trusted people."

"Yes." said State Senator Jimmy Cerone from the same doorway. "You guys trying to get hurt facing off against the Iron Crowbar? Let them in, let them in..." We were allowed to go past the bodyguards, who actually apologized for inconveniencing us.

Once in the office, I swept for bugs, finding none. "I did that earlier today, but I don't mind you coming in behind me and doing that." said Molinari. "And I heard about you catching that LaCroix bum, as well. You'd think they'd learn by now, wouldn't you?"

"Yes, Senator." I said. "But they don't learn, and that makes it easier for me to catch them. So, gentlemen, how can we be of service to you today?"

"Please, have a seat." said Molinari. "Would you care for something to drink? Water? Coca-Cola?" We politely refused as we sat down. Molinari and Cerone sat opposite each other at the round table, with Molinari's back to the window behind his desk, which gave a nice view of the Cannon Building. I sat to Molinari's right, Cindy to his left.

"What we've asked you to come here for," said Molinari, "is that Mr. Cerone and I have eaten a lot of good lasagna and a lot of good steaks... and we have written an SBI compromise bill that will be accepted by most in both parties. We have not shared it with the Governor yet; that is why we've asked the two of you here. And of course to get your own inputs. Captain Ross's voice is important to us, as well as yours, Commander."

"Great!" I said. "We'll only have to get her up to speed on how good the lasagna is. So what's the plan?"

"Here you go." said Cerone, sliding copies of a document to each of us. "Read it at leisure."

To save time, a synopsis will be posted here, to wit:

1. The SBI would be broken down into the six regions of the State corresponding with the State Department of Justice (SDOJ) regions. SBI Agents would be assigned regionally. They would not come into a local jurisdiction (professionally) unless asked for by that County's Sheriff or a Town Mayor or Police Chief within that county, and they would never have jurisdiction over a local case.

2. The SBI could send Agents to other regions if requested, in a similar manner to SBI Reservists being requested. Those Agents would have to be requested by name(s), and would be under the same conditions as within their own jurisdiction.

3. Regional SDOJ Directors would have a measure of control over the SBI, and would have the authority to force the SBI to stand down from any investigation at the request of a local jurisdiction; however, the Attorney General or Governor could restore the investigation if there was evidence to show corruption at the local level, and they would do this through the SBI Office of Ethics and Review, which would remain semi-autonomous, as SBI "Internal Affairs" as well as an agency that could investigate corruption at State and Local levels.

4. The Narcotics Task Force (NTF) would also have to work through regions, though they would expect to coordinate and cooperate more throughout the State. There would be an NTF office within the SBI Director's offices in Midtown, where a limited number of agents would command and coordinate the NTF. They would be restricted within local jurisdictions to support of LEOs, and any independent actions they take would have to be shown to cross County lines.

5. The SBI Reserve would be maintained as it is currently, but local jurisdictions would be encouraged to call Regional Agents from outside regions first. This was mostly because local jurisdictions didn't like having their best people leave for SBI investigations on the other side of the State. However, it would be available as always for those locals that would never trust the SBI, no matter what.

As I read the bill, I nodded. "It's good." I said. "It breaks the SBI down into regions, thereby devolving it to some extent; it puts curbs on the NTF, which is the bee in my bonnet; and the Governor-controlled SDOJ has some input with them. Very nice, gentlemen."

"Thank you, Commander." said Jimmy Cerone. "But we do want to hear any negatives about it, as well. Speak now, or forever hold your peace, as the saying goes."

I smiled. "Yes sir. I am remembering the saying by George Washington that this will 'depend upon the wise and the honest' in order to work. It has a lot more checks and balances, and it's harder for someone to actually use the SBI as a corrupt force now, but get enough people in the right places that want to use it for oppressive power, and they can still do it."

"That issue was brought up to us." said Molinari. "So we strengthened the State OER Office, and we put that bit about the Regional DOJ Directors being able to intervene. In actual practice, conflicts might end up in Court, but that's okay; they'll get some light-of-day on the problem." I nodded.

"Captain Ross?" said Molinari. "I know you might not be as familiar as your Police partner with all this, but that's what we want... what's your immediate thinking on this, unvarnished, and not tainted by our politics?"

Cindy smiled. "It looks to be like a reasonable compromise, at least for now. I think you guys will be back at it in a couple of years, though. And I'm also agreeing with Commander Troy, but more specifically: I'm thinking about dirtbags like Ferrell. How do we stop that kind of crap in the future. This should work on paper, but there's theory and then there's actual practice."

"Like the Iron Crowbar, and General Washington before him said, we have to count on the wise and the honest." said Molinari. "Yes, we need to 'drain the swamp' that the SBI has become, but all we Legislators can do is give the Governor the tools to do that; it's going to be up to him and good people like you to carry it through."

"That's true." said Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone. "My Democrat colleagues, for the most part, want an honest SBI. They've seen how people have turned against an overbearing, overzealous SBI, and after what happened to that U.S. Marine, I can hardly blame people. They'll accept the regional plan, as long as the NTF still has room to operate."

Cindy looked over at me and I shrugged, knowing this might be all we were going to get. The other alternative, I knew, is that Republicans like Wilson Hammonds would cave in, and in fact were eager to do so.

Just then, I saw a flash of red. A dot appeared on Cerone's right shoulder for just a second, then flitted away.

"What the fuck?" I gasped out. Cindy had seen it too, and was already out of her chair.

"Gentlemen, please hit the floor!" I said as I drew my gun and went towards the window. "Captain, get their bodyguards in here!" With Molinari and Cerone on the floor, Cindy went to the door and called in the bodyguards. They saw a red beam flitting around the room, and immediately covered their respective Senators.

"Okay, now for the test." I said. I was crouched under the window and to one side. I put my Tilley Hat on my crowbar and raised it to the window, twisting it to make the hat move as if I were looking around.

*CRASH!*

The glass of the window came shattering into the room. I dove away from it, fortunately unhurt.

Lucky. Lucky Iron Crowbar.

"Don!" cried out Cindy. "Are you okay?"

"Just fine." I said. I got my cellphone out and speed-dialed Muscone. "Jack! We're under attack! Sniper on the roof of the Cannon Building. Get the Cannon Building sealed off!"

"Roger that." said Muscone. "We're sending in drones, too."

As Molinari and Cerone's men got them to the safety of an inside hallway, I got a polished metal plaque from the wall and used it to look over the edge of the window. I could see the roof of the Cannon Building, but no one on it.

"Stay away from the window." I whispered as Cindy came up to the other side of it. Then I saw drones flying in from different angles. I risked a quick peek.

"Drones are overhead. I'm seeing no one..." said Muscone on the phone. "What the...?"

I looked out. Two drones over the Cannon Building dropped out of the sky and crashed on the roof, much like the helicopter with me and Pastor Westboro had. Then other drones coming in started dropping... and some were going to hit the street!

"Call off the drones!" I said to Jack in my cellphone. "They're being disabled and are falling out of the sky. People on the street might get hurt!"