Gathering Fallen Rocks Ch. 11

Story Info
You have created a mystery I am compelled to solve.
4.5k words
4.68
11.2k
3

Part 11 of the 15 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 05/30/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Howard, maybe I need to go stay with Aunt Jean. It would take a little pressure off both of us."

"Baby, oh my beautiful Baby, don't think that. I just need to know that I can hold you and I'm okay. I've been thinking about this all week and I didn't know what else to do. Pete told me what happened to those people in the pasture when your cell phone was used to call in the report about the buzzards. It was all I could think about when Santos said if he ever got the chance he'd leave you in the pasture."

"He said what?" Gail wasn't exactly screaming, but very nearly so.

Carefully, Howard repeated the threat the man had made, watching to see if Gail understood. "Santos said something like,'Usted controla a su mujer.' That basically means, 'You control your woman.' Then he said, 'I'll leave her out in the pasture with nothing but cows to lick her breasts.'"

Gail struggled against Howard, but he would not release her, "Oh My God. Oh My God. Oh My God. What have I ever done to that man to make him hate me so?"

"It's not you he wants, it's me. It's not me he wants. It's that house. It's not just the house. It's the whole ranch. He wants to own the land from the river to the highway. He doesn't dare do anything to me personally, he knows I've reported him and he knows the sheriff and the feds will never leave him alone if something happens to me. He's cautious about you, but he could do something stupid."

Howard continued to talk, trying to calm Gail, " He doesn't know what I'd do to him if he so much as touches you again. If he can scare me off, he will take the ranch and the house and frighten Frank into doing nothing. Frank is my brother, but he's not much more than a loud mouth. He wouldn't lift a finger to try to run Santos off. I am the only thing Santos doesn't own or control between the border and the highway. And I'm not leaving.

"Santos has a huge ranch in Mexico. It's his wife's property. The only reason he is here is because of the money he makes from his people express, and I'm doing everything I can to stop it. It pisses him off that a little nobody like me, a gnat, is in his way and he can't swat me like he wants to."

Finally able to understand the kind of pressure Howard has been under, Gail shook her head as she said, "This is insanity, pure insanity."

"No, Baby, this is life. It is your life and my life. Santos knows me and he knows what I can do. I've done it before. I may not look like I can do much more than work in a hardware store or watch a bunch of cows eating grass. But I can. I can do a lot more, and he knows it."

"What do you mean?" When Howard did not answer her, Gail stood, and stepped away from him. For the moment, he let her go. She took another step back when she saw the look on his face. Howard did nothing. Instead he just stood and looked at her, so she asked again, "What do you mean, Howard?"

"Gail, I am not a gnat, but no one knows it. Not even Frank. I don't tell my brother very much. He can't keep his mouth shut. You know that scarf Santos wears like a necktie? He used to wear a stickpin in the tie. It was a daisy, an insignificant little flower, maybe twenty slender petals and a big yellow center. The Spanish call them a margarita. Yeah, it's the same word they use for the tequila drink.

"Santos's daisy was small, about the size of the first joint of your little finger. It had long slender white enamel petals and a yellow diamond in the center. He stopped one day, like I was telling you, just to say something, just to piss me off, offered me a woman, complained a little saying a couple of my cows broke down a fence, talked a little trash about me owing him something to repair the fence. I reached in and pulled the stickpin out of his tie and I was looking at it. He got all huffy, demanded I give it back. It was a gift from his wife; she had it made for him; some expensive jeweler in Mexico, and so forth. I just looked at him and said something like, "Yeah, I'll give it back, when I'm ready." He stomped on the gas, twisted the steering wheel and man, if I hadn't jumped back, the rear end of his big black car would have knocked me down."

"Well, did you give it back?"

As if he did not hear Gail's question, Howard continued. "He's got all kinds of men around his house. It's like an armed compound. It doesn't look like it, but there are men sitting in a chair on a platform in a tree, full time, around the clock, a weapon hidden somewhere on them—and probably more nearby, guarding his lousy rear. A couple of nights after he made the threat against you, I left his stickpin in his pillow, right beside his head."

Gail was almost hyperventilating, she couldn't catch her breath, "Howard, oh please, please don't tell me any more, I don't want to know. I don't want to know any more."

He stepped forward and gathered her back into his arms. "It's okay, Baby, I promise you, it's okay. He is not going to hurt you. He knows I can get to him anytime I want. I'm good. I've been one of the best. But the first time someone like me feels himself hesitate, you have to stop or a lot of people will get hurt. I hesitated once. So I stopped. I quit.

"Santos tried to find out about me. I don't know what he knows—maybe nothing, or not much, but he knows something. My military records are supposed to be sealed, but there are still ways for some people to find out about me. That's enough to keep him away, away from me and away from you. But it's not enough to stop him, and that's what I want."

"Howard, I can't do this. I cannot do this."

"Gail, I want you, and what's more important, I need you. I'm not very good at talking about my feelings, but you are important to me, like nothing I have ever imagined. I don't know if that's love. I don't know if it's just lust. I just know it is. I'm not sure about you, but I sense you feel the same about me, don't you?" When she didn't answer or nod her head, he asked again, "Don't you?"

Finally, she said, so faintly he barely heard her, "Yes."

Howard tightened his arms around her and said, "That's all I need to know."

********

"Gail," Atwood interrupted her as she carried a stack of files from the workroom to her new desk. He followed her through the newly completed doorway that connected his old offices with the new office space.

"Yes, sir?"

"You know, you have created a mystery that I am compelled to solve. I'm too old for this. I wish I were fifty-two instead of seventy-two. Well, hell as long as I'm wishing, I'm gonna wish for thirty-two. I can't ask for anything younger or I wouldn't have Olivia. I've been moving boxes in my garage all weekend." He held up his hands for a moment. "Don't get excited. I didn't actually move most of them. I called Barry, our runner, and promised him double pay for working the weekend, and he helped me. So I have a load of files for you. They're in the trunk of my car. When Barry gets here this afternoon, he's going to unload my car and we are going on a treasure hunt."

"What is the treasure we're going to look for?"

"Well-l-l," Atwood drawled out the word, increasing Gail's curiosity. "I've been doing this for more than forty years and my dad did the same for about fifty years. Of course, some of those years overlap, but his father was a lawyer, too. He called himself a solicitor, which isn't really proper, but I think I'd like being called a solicitor. It sounds so much better than being called a lawyer, maybe even a little saucy." He wiggled his eyebrows and then chuckled because his remark caused Gail to blush.

"I'm sorry. Olivia tells me I should only say such things to her. She is a cute little thing, isn't she? You should have seen her when she was eighteen. One look, that's all it took."

Atwood cleared his throat and returned to his explanation. "Anyway, I have three or four boxes of my grandfather's papers. They are in a jumble. I suppose they didn't produce as much paper as we do now. In fact I know they didn't, they just rolled them up or stacked one on top of another.

"I wonder sometimes, will we ever really get to the point of a paperless society? No, probably not. The lawyers wouldn't have anything to do.

"My apologies, madam, I will return to the subject at hand. So, I have roughly about one hundred years of history."

Gail was aware Atwood did not mention his son, Michael, who had shared the Law Office space with his father before his untimely death. He'd had an undetected defect in his heart and failed to awaken one morning. He had practiced law for only ten years. For the short time she had known Atwood, Gail could not recall him mentioning his son's name, although he often mentioned Clarissa, his daughter-in-law. Gail had asked Petra, who quietly told her a little about Michael Atwood.

"Are you going to give all of your old papers to a museum or something like that?"

"That is what I have been discussing with my very learned friend Philip, ah, that's Philip Querax, damn, pardon me, why are some of these Latino names so difficult? Querexeta, yes Philip Querexeta, is an historian as an avocation, a very good one. At least HE SAYS he is good. He specializes in documents. He's been harassing me for a number of years. I will not tell you how many years. He wants the boxes at the bottom of my stash."

"Is that a Mexican name, or might it be Basque?"

"Uh oh, the lady knows something I don't. As a matter of fact, Philip says he is Basque and dislikes being referred to as Hispanic or Latino. I don't think Fisher is a derivative, but is Pleas a Basque name?"

"Howard says he is Basque and the family name is like seven or eight syllables long, and starts with Magoo, or something like that. I've been online searching for something that fits, without much luck." Gail told Atwood as much as she knew and he said they would just wait until Philip came in after lunch with his supplies. Atwood shook his head about historians and their proclivities to preserve, preserve, preserve. Evidently Philip knew quite a lot about how to handle old documents, including ridiculous white cotton gloves, how to put a document into protective archival covering so it can still be studied, and had volunteered to give Atwood and Gail a quick lesson. After their instruction, he would "permit" them to help him examine Atwood's collection.

"Atwood, isn't this going to take a lot of time? We have other work to do. I think at least one buyer is coming in this afternoon to sign."

"Yes, yes, my dear, and with our receptionist back, Petra has more time. You can do the closing and Philip and I will do research, but you can help as much as you have time to spare. It will all work out."

As Atwood walked away, he stopped and turned back to Gail. "By the way, did you have your little discussion with Howard?"

"Yes and he won't budge. He said if I find another place to live, he will sleep on the porch until the neighbors embarrass me into letting him out of the doghouse and back inside."

Atwood grinned, saluted her, and walked away, quietly singing, Mendelssohn's Wedding March, "Here comes the bride. Here comes the bride."

Gail called out to him, in a sing-song voice, "You're not helping."

Atwood just laughed and went back into his office while Gail continued moving into her office. By lunch time, all she wanted to do was sit down and drink something cold. Howard walked in and handed her a bag from a nearby hamburger place and plopped himself down in one of the other chairs around the small table in the coffee break room.

"There's one in there for me, it has jalapeño peppers on it. I called a little while ago. Petra said you were on the phone. I told her not to let you leave for lunch."

"Are you still following me, watching over me?"

"No, I just wanted to see my girl for lunch." He grinned and laughed when she blushed. "You are so cute when you blush. I don't always embarrass you on purpose, but I like to watch those cheeks turn pink. I wonder if you blush all over, hum, I'm going to need to investigate this."

"Howard, be nice."

"Me" he slapped both hands to his chest, "I'm not being nice? Why, Sweetheart, I'm one of the nicest men you know."

"Yes, I would have to agree with you about that."

Atwood walked in and lightly pounded Howard on the shoulder, "What you got in there for me?"

Howard answered, "Meat, bread, mustard and onions. Atwood that is not a hamburger, a good hamburger is juicy, runs down your arm, and then drips off your elbow."

Atwood was digging into the bag, pulling out one paper wrapped hamburger, "What is this one with the white sticker?"

"That's Petra's. She said mayonnaise, and that's not a hamburger, either. You people in the abstract business don't know squat about hamburgers."

Atwood grinned, "Maybe not; we are paper people. Did you bring those things my carpenter said he needs?"

"Yes, sir, if he uses all of them, he'll have a fortress. What is he building? I thought the office space was finished."

"Shelves, that will hold hundreds and hundreds of pounds of paper, which are the life blood of this business. Say, Gail tells me you are Basque. Do you know Philip, Philip Querexeta? He's nuts about being Basque, maybe he can help you with that Magoo name Gail was mentioning."

"It's going to take more help than me knowing two syllables. No, I don't know Philip Querexeta, who is he?"

Atwood told Howard about the same thing he told Gail earlier, and then he added, "I don't think my grandfather's papers go back that far, but we may get some clue where to look for your ancestors. Granddad started in this town probably around the turn of the last century, 1900, or maybe a little before. We might find where they stopped using that other name and started using Pleas. Where's your abstract?"

"At the bank. They wanted it, I guess to make copies. The guy I talked to was young. He'd never seen a real one, only copies, and wanted to look at it. I guess they would give it back to me by now. I've just never gone and asked."

"After you eat, or the first chance you get, go get it and bring it to me. I want to look at it. I don't remember if I ever worked on it or if Dad did, too long ago for me. I looked through some papers the other day, and I seem to recall your dad didn't leave a will, and I think his dad didn't either. But I don't know about before then. Maybe the abstract will answer some questions. At least that's where I want to start."

Howard asked, "You think there's anything missing, or incorrect, like my dad said? I mean, what would I do, if you discover a mistake?"

Atwood brushed off Howard's question, "Oh that's a long way from anything to consider right now. I just need a thread to follow and the abstract might provide it."

"Okay by me, actually I wouldn't mind a little harassment power in my hands, just to tweak Aguirre's nuts. Oops, excuse that, but that's about how pissed I am."

"Yeah" Atwood grinned. "So Gail was telling me. I might like a little of that action, too."

********

It was several hours after lunch before Gail had a chance to go check on the historians. She answered emails and downloaded a whole set of closing instructions, and then just about the time the last document was printing, the lender called and said to trash them, another set was on the way. The homeowners sat in the new waiting room for over an hour and were signing papers as they were being printed, with Petra getting the settlement statement finished. Thankfully it was a refinance and the funding checks weren't needed for several days.

Finally, Gail had a little time to watch Philip Querexeta, pick up a paper, look at it and put it into a clear folded sheet of plastic, then go to the next document. He wore white cotton gloves and used tweezers to remove anything foreign, like insect legs, from the document. Then he used a magnifying glass to go over the front and back, before putting it into the folded opaque plastic sleeve. He put the plastic covered document under something to bleed air out of the covering, and then carefully folded the top over and used edge-sealing tape. He had a special box of folders he put some documents into, which he said may need some work done on them before they could be sealed and many of the ones he was sealing inside the clear acid-free folded plastic, would likely be opened, examined, and then be sealed again.

Atwood looked up at Gail watching, "We should have my daughter-in-law or her son here. This is their legacy, after all."

"Oh," Gail said, "I didn't know you have a grandson."

"Oh yes, when Atwood Charles Atwood gets tired of being a hot shot lawyer for some big international corporation in Albuquerque, he's suppose to come down here and take over all this, so I can go fishing." He grinned at Gail and said, "And you better learn everything there is to know in this office, 'cause you'll have to train him. Philip and me, we're going fishing."

"Atwood," Gail asked, "do you even know how to catch a fish?"

"Yes, I do. Olivia and I have a little contest. Whoever catches the biggest fish, the other has to cook supper. I am quite good at pan frying trout on a campfire." Then he looked at Philip and said, "Hey Philip, tell Gail that Magoo name."

Philip looked up from his work and said a rattle of syllables so fast Gail shook her head and pleaded with him to say it slowly, pronouncing each syllable. She needed to remember it so she could repeat it to Howard.

"Oh yes," answered Phillip, unable to do as Atwood requested without educating both him and Gail. "Now, each name is usually the name of a village and each syllable means something, and in combination mean"top of the hill" or"beside the river" and such. In many instances, two or three letters are combined to make a sound, much like our own,"ch" or the"ph" in physician. Their alphabet doesn't have as many letters as ours. My language skills are so poor I can't begin to tell you what all the names mean.

"Now, I have heard one that might be what Atwood described,Ma-gun-a-goi-ko-etx-ea. The only reason I know that name is a mention of it on a list of soldiers who were sent on special guard duty for a visiting dignitary from Tamulipas. The two soldier's names were not listed when the troop returned to the garrison at Victoria. That's not the city by that name, on this side of the river. It's a city in the Mexican state of Tamulipas. Nor could I discover if he was killed or sickened and died, which was rather common in those days, what with impure water, and the lack of modern medicines. It was just rather curious, don't you think?"

As Gail turned to leave the workroom, she heard Philip calling her back, "Now isn't this curious, Gail. Just as we were discussing the name, here it is on this document, at least I believe this is the name of which I spoke, but the spelling is somewhat different. No, it is not spelled differently, merely hyphenated after Maguna and the remainder of the name follows. Atwood, come look at this. This document isn't even dated, so all you will have to go on is the official's name. What is this man's first name, Plezo, or is that Plizo? And what is this word,s-u-t-o, ors-e-t-o, ors-i-t-o, hum? What is that, do you imagine? Is this a gift or something to this man for services rendered? See it reads,"en la gratitud para servicios rendidos". Oh well, I'm sure when you and Olivia begin looking at these papers more closely, it will begin to have meaning."

********

Gail heard the receptionist, Emily, calling her over the new telephone intercom, and rather than disturb Atwood and Philip Querexeta she went to her office to use the telephone. It was a real estate agent she had been expecting to return her call with information about a possible rent house.

"Good heavens, Julia, I can't pay twelve hundred dollars a month for a two bedroom. That's outrageous."

12