Genie Chronicles Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Can it do that automatically?"

"Not exactly. It does have the ability to track users' purchases - anonymously, of course - and then, once enough purchasing data has been collected, display the 'other buyers of this product have also purchased yada yada, ' message you may have seen on other e-retail sites. But initially the related suggestions would have to be linked manually. Plus, manual linking is more likely to sell items, as the other way could show completely unrelated products that someone just happened to buy together."

"Isn't that time consuming?"

Jack shrugged. "Somewhat. As I assume you would want to have a say in what suggestions should be made for what products, as you have the most experience with what is bought with what, I figure we can work on that here in spare moments and still have it pretty much done by the site's 'Grand Opening' you are planning."

"That sounds good to me, Jack."

"Okay, well, have a nice weekend."

"You too, guys."

As they were walking to the car, Jennifer said, "Those were both good ideas, Jack."

"Thanks! Just trying to give them their money's worth."

--------

Saturday morning saw Jack staring at his computer, dreading the drudgery of adding all of the product photos and descriptive text. And he would have to do each one twice, once for the PG version, and one for the R/X version. Why the hell did he have to come up with that idea?

At least he had been able to creatively wish Jennifer enough skill to help him. They worked through a couple of items, and then Jack had a thought. "Jennifer, now that we know how this is all going to work and have done a few of these products by hand, just to say we have, can I wish that this website be constructed as we have planned, although tweaked in any way necessary, to give the shopper the ultimate titillating and satisfying shopping experience for all their erotic needs, leaving us a free, romantic, sexy weekend together?"

Tingle. "Yup. Done."

"That was easy." Jack sighed and stretched happily, feeling like a kid let out of school. They had no problem making sure the weekend was both romantic and filled with lots of sex, much of it kinky, just to make sure the requirements for the wish were met. Sunday was especially easy, as a rather severe thunderstorm knocked out the power for most of the late afternoon and evening. That was fine with them. A few magically created candles and oil lamps - suspiciously shaped lamps that in other circumstances might beg to be rubbed, Jack noticed - provided all the light they needed.

They had planned to relax on Monday, as well, enjoying the guilty pleasure of being lazy while everyone thought you were working, but it wasn't to be. Early Monday morning, the phone rang. "Hello," Jack mumbled.

...

"What? Why?"

...

Jack sighed. "Okay, I'll be there as soon as I can." He hung up.

"What's going on?" Jennifer asked.

"That was Nick. He said it looks like last night's storm knocked out a lot of their equipment, including the web server. I'm going in to see what I can do. He accused me of jinxing the server. He was kidding. Mostly. I think."

They hit the head, threw on some clothes, Jack rubbed a razor over his face, and they hit the road. Traffic was light this early, so they made record time. Nick came to the front door at their knock.

"Thanks for coming, guys. Sorry to get you up so early."

"No problem. Let's take a look at the damage."

The web server was well and truly dead, although it was possible that the power surge or whatever had not done major damage to the PC, and it could be fairly easily repaired. Still, it was far from the only victim. Almost everything on the same power circuit was fried, regardless of the (cheap) surge protectors most of the equipment was plugged into. This included all the network equipment and several other PCs, although remarkably it looked like the cable modem had somehow survived. Jack had brought his laptop, so he hooked it up to test the modem. As he was starting up the laptop, Ms. Cooper entered. Jack said in wonder, "Yep, it still works, don't ask me how."

"So where does that leave us, Jack." Nick asked.

"Well, it's possible that all the server PC needs is a new part to get it going again. Or, it could be completely fried. The only way to know is to try that part -it's inexpensive, and easy to find - but even at best, we're looking at a couple of hours to get it going again, and if something else is wrong, well," he shrugged.

"Okay, so what's the next option?"

Jack looked at Jennifer. He kind of hated to admit that the new website was ready early, as it would set the bar awfully high for future performance, but it didn't look like there was much of a choice, not if he wanted to give the client his best. "Your new website is actually pretty much ready to go."

"What? How can that be? I thought you said it wouldn't be ready until tomorrow. What did you guys do, work on it the whole weekend, forgetting to sleep?"

"Yeah, we went pretty hot and heavy all weekend," Jack replied, not entirely untruthfully. It just wasn't on the website. "We got into a groove, and just kept going, figuring we would take today to catch up on our sleep." At least the last part was true; they did plan to nap to make up for some lost sleep. Both Nick and Ms. Cooper were looking at him suspiciously.

"What?" He threw up his hands. "Alright, you got us. We worked all weekend non-stop on your new website while directing the storm here last night to have it strike just right so that it would take out your web server so you would have to switch to the other one this morning."

Nick chuckled, Ms Cooper snorted, and Jennifer thought at him, Now you see what it feels like to have coincidences blamed on you.

Jack turned so that only she could see his face, gave her a lopsided smile, and thought, Yeah, well, now that you mention it, I'm not convinced this isn't really your doing.

He was answered by a loud, surround-sound raspberry reverberating through his head. He winced, and then turned back to Nick. "So, the way I see it, we can do one of three things; we can try to repair the current server, as I said. At best, that's a couple of hours if it's just the power supply, the part I mentioned. At worst, the server is completely fried. That leads to option two, which is to build another server from one of your existing non-fried PC's, or a new one. That would probably take most of the day.

"Third is to switch to the new site now. It is already loaded up on my server. Your web address does not point to that server, and it will take several hours at least to get the change made, but until then I can run a utility here on my laptop to redirect the traffic."

"I'm not sure I understand that last part," Ms Cooper said.

"Okay, think of your web address, your URL, as your web phone number. Right now your phone number still rings here, but there is no web server running to answer the call. We need to switch the number so it rings at my server, which can answer the call. That process usually takes a day or so for this situation, but the guys at my ISP, who take care of this sort of thing, are very helpful and might be able to get it done faster. In the mean time, I can run a utility here on my laptop, or another PC, that can forward your web 'phone calls' to the new site until your 'web phone number' is moved."

"Okay, that makes sense." She looked at Nick. "I don't think there is any question, that's what we need to do."

Nick looked questioningly at Jack, who said. "That's definitely my recommendation. The only thing we miss by switching today is the testing, and I feel fairly confident the purchasing side will work ok. Ooooo!" Jack said as something occurred to him.

"What?" everyone else chorused.

"The website will work fine, but with your network fried, it will be a bit of a challenge getting your orders to the warehouse."

"The old site would print out orders to the printer back there. What would the new one normally do?" Ms. Cooper asked.

"Basically the same thing. A client runs on the PC that their printer is attached to. It automatically retrieves the orders, and can be set to print the orders, or beep when new orders come in and allow your employees to review and print them manually, and lots of other stuff. Training your guys to use the client would have been part of the couple days of testing. Now?" he shrugged. "Trial by fire. I guess the only thing to do is to load the client on the same PC in here that is running the other utility. Did shipping and receiving's PC get fried?"

"No, I don't think there was any damage back there."

"Well, I volunteered my laptop, but in light of the shipping issue, I recommend that we bring their PC and printer here and load both the forwarding utility and the shipping and receiving client on it. Once that is done, all visitors will be directed to the new site, and all orders will print out here. We can hand-carry them to the warehouse to be filled until we get the network back up."

In the mean time, I suggest we send someone on a shopping trip to buy some new network equipment. You might even be able to return that new box I bought a couple of days ago as defective. Not quite honest, but," he shrugged. "I can make a list of what you need."

"I can go do that." Ms. Cooper said.

Jennifer surprised both her and Jack by saying, "Want some company?"

Ms. Cooper shrugged. "Sure."

By this time most everyone had come to work, so Nick called back to the warehouse to have a couple guys bring up the PC and printer while Jack made his shopping list. He handed it to Ms. Cooper. "Give me a call on my cell if you have any questions, although I'm sure that two gorgeous, intelligent women shopping for networking equipment will have every techie sales guy in the store falling over themselves to be of assistance." Jack realized the danger of these words as soon as they left his mouth, but he was relieved and pleased to see Ms. Cooper simply blush slightly at his praise.

The ladies went shopping, and Jack got to work on the PC that the warehouse staff brought to him. Within an hour he had the PC temporarily forwarding all customers to the new website until his ISP could move FI's web address to his server, which he had called to request at top priority, and he had it printing orders received from the new site.

The ladies returned with their purchases not long after, including breakfast sandwiches for everyone. Jack was so busy and distracted that he hadn't realized this was the first time he and Genie/Jennifer had been apart since he had opened her vessel until they returned. He was happy she was getting independent enough to have gone, while at the same time a bit disturbed that it hadn't been a bigger deal. He discovered he had missed her, too.

How did it go? He asked.

Fine. I tried to get her into some friendly chat. You know, general stuff, nothing personal.

And?

He felt what he equated to a mental shrug. She was friendly, but reserved. As I said before; baby steps. You were right about one thing, though. There was certainly no problem getting all the help we needed. I was my usual reserved self, of course, and...

You mean you flirted shamelessly?

Yes. And while she was a bit shocked initially, and although she didn't participate, I think once she got over her initial surprise she saw how much fun it can be. Maybe you should sabotage their network again so we can go on another shopping trip.

Jack was about to retaliate for that comment, but just then Nick came in to check up on things. "Got everything you need, Jack?'

"For the network, I believe so. I'm starting on it now."

"Okay, let me know how it goes."

"I will."

As he began opening boxes, Jack asked, Do you realize that was the first time we have been apart since I opened your puzzle box?

Well, physically separated by a greater distance than we have been before, perhaps, but not apart. We are never more than a thought apart, Jack.

So, I could have talked to you while you were shopping?

Sure.

What about your protective abilities? Were those still in place?

Of course?

For both of us?

Yes.

Huh. So what if I would have needed or wanted you for something?

Then I would have been with you in an instant.

What about Ms Cooper. Would she have simply seen you disappear?

Well, to protect our anonymity, I could have done several things; have her and everyone not notice my absence or my return, leave a copy of me behind, etcetera.

You can make copies of yourself?!

Well, not full copies. They couldn't grant wishes. She gave him a naughty look. But they would be fully functional in many other ways.

Huh... uh, good to know. Jack knew if he explored that line of thought right now he would never get anything done, so he hit the network with a vengeance.

Near the end of the day he had the network back up and all non-fried PC's connected to it. He gathered with everyone else for a quick status meeting. "All the PC's still working are back on the network and the internet. My ISP has informed me that your web address will be routed to my server sometime tonight. I'm sorry it wasn't sooner. At this point, I plan to leave shipping's PC where it is until the morning to continue forwarding your customers to my server. In the morning we'll move it back to the warehouse and I will give Alice and her folks a crash course in how to use the client software. After that, well, it's up to you. I can either help you try to get the rest of your equipment running, or I can go back to working on the website."

"You've been a lifesaver, Jack. I don't know what we would have done without you. Thanks for the offer to help with our hardware, but there are plenty of techs around we can get in here to do that. We need you back on the website."

"Sounds good to me," Jack gave a lopsided grin, "although, keep in mind, we are actually a couple days ahead of schedule." He turned more serious. "I would recommend having whoever you get work on the web server first. Even though we have been doing the manual backups up through Sunday morning, and Shipping and Receiving should have a printout of all the orders after that, it would still be a good idea to get it back up and running if you can, just to make sure nothing got missed and to make a final backup of the files."

Nick said, "Very well. We'll get them to do that first. Anything else, anyone?" There wasn't, so the meeting broke up.

Exhausted, Jack and Jennifer went home after Jack confirmed that Jennifer's protection powers would make sure he wouldn't go to sleep at the wheel, or at least the auto pilot would take over, on the drive home. Once they arrived safely, Jennifer fixed them a quick snack, and then they passed out while watching TV.

The next morning Jack confirmed that FI's web address was now going directly to the new site on his server, and then he disconnected Alice's PC and moved it back to shipping. As promised, he gave a quick but thorough lesson on the use of the shipping and receiving client. Alice was thrilled with all it could do, but, "There's no way I'll remember all that crap, Jack!"

Jack grinned back and handed her a laminated card. "Here is a quick start card for the client software. Tape it up somewhere handy. It tells you how to do most of the standard stuff. For anything else, well, I'm just across the way there, you know. Just wait for the stunning red head to come out of the booth to grab the next toy, and ask me anything you like... unless you want to come model some of the stuff? You know, to give her a break."

Alice just snorted and slapped his arm. "Shoo!"

Jack performed a quick final tour of the building to make sure that everything he had done was still working, and to check in with Nick. He then went to Ms. Cooper's office and knocked while poking his head through the door. "We're ready to start the demo photos, if you want to be there."

"I do. Give me fifteen minutes."

Fifteen minutes was just enough time to get the photo booth ready. They finished just as she walked up. "What order do you guys suggest we do this series in?" she asked, a marked change from her attitude at the beginning of the first round of photos.

"Well, as these are meant to show the products in use correctly in addition to providing a bit of titillation, I think we might want to start with the products which your customers seem to have the most problems with, or that you have the most complaints or returns on. I'm going to try to post these as we go, so those can be up first."

Ms. Cooper nodded. "That makes sense. Let me go consult with Alice on returns for a minute, and I'll be back with a few items."

While she was gone, Jennifer started removing her clothing, much to Jack's enjoyment. She stopped at a hunter green lacy bra, matching panties, and black stockings, real ones. It seemed that hunter green was becoming her signature color. It sure matched nicely with her dark red tresses and deep green eyes.

Show off. Jack thought, admiring her silk-encased gams.

Lech, she replied, making sure he got the best view.

I like the green.

Thanks! Me, too.

When Ms. Cooper returned, she saw Jennifer, stopped short, and said, "Oh!"

Jennifer looked up innocently. "Something wrong?"

"Uh, no, I just didn't expect... uh... no, nothing's wrong." She held up a box. "It's kind of ironic that you guys picked the Buzzy Buggie as one of your demo toys, as it is actually one of the ones we get the most complaints about."

"Really? I have no complaints about it." Jennifer said, blushing a bit but grinning cheekily.

"Yes, well," Ms. Cooper didn't seem to have an answer for that, so she simply handed Jennifer the box. Jennifer set it aside for a moment to remove her stockings and panties. She did this without any overt eroticism, but then she didn't need any. Jack's cock was rock hard long before the silk panties floated to the floor around her ankles. He thought to try to hide it before deciding how ridiculous that was. He was likely to be hard for most of the next week, and if he was constantly trying to hide it, all he would accomplish would be to call more attention to it. Ms. Cooper would just have to get over it, if she insisted on staying for this whole shoot, too. Besides, although he couldn't really get a good look without giving himself away, a few quick glimpses seemed to confirm a bit of a bulge in the front of her skirt, as well.

Jennifer proceeded to strap on the Buggie, performing more 'innocently' cock-hardening bending and squatting in the process. When she finally had it like she wanted it, she reclined on the pillows covered with black cloth and positioned herself for the camera, but Ms. Cooper stopped them.

"Wait! You don't have it on correctly."

"I don't?" Jennifer looked at her doubtfully.

"No. I think that's why we get so many complaints." She moved closer to Jennifer. "It's actually supposed to be, um, higher."

Jennifer shifted it a bit. "Here?"

"No, uh, over your hood."

"Really? Here?"

"Not quite. It's..."

Jennifer removed her hand and pointed to the bug. "Can you show me?"

"Uh..." Ms. Cooper said self consciously. Jennifer smiled and nodded encouragingly, and Ms. Cooper reached out a slightly shaking hand to grasp the bug and move it, careful not to touch Jennifer's privates.

"There?" Jennifer said disbelievingly. She reached out to grasp the battery and control unit wired to the Buggie. She twisted the control knob, and the Buggie started buzzing. She winced. "I'm sorry, Ms. Cooper, but that feels really unpleasant."