George Bush, Gay Marriage, & Love

Story Info
Literotica readers & controversy.
1.6k words
4.39
19.2k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
V.Rich
V.Rich
29 Followers

As Albert feels compelled to sing:

"I am What I am,
I am my own special creation,
So......
It's my world I that want to have a little pride in,
My world that is not a place I have to hide in!

Life's not worth a damn til you can say:
Hey. World I am what I am.

I don't want praise. I DON'T want pity.
I bang my own drum, some think it's noise, I think it's pretty.

What I am needs NO excuses!
There's only one life and there's no return and no deposit
Only one life and it time to open up you closets."*

* * * * * * * * * *

Yeah, I know you are wondering why a totally straight female living in the Bible Belt feels compelled to
write about this current controversy that seems concentrated in Massachusetts and California, and will most certainly leave out Dixieland. And I assure you that it will skip over the Bible Belt (well, for about a hundred years, or so). Why it is important for this dialog to open itself on a site like Literotica?

The South is convinced that gay marriage will avoid our little neck of the woods for the simple reason that we have so many churches down here that they have totally stamped out homosexuality. Trust me on this. I will offend some of my southern friends, and I apologize for that at the outset. But even my friends know the prevailing view around these parts is that your can save your sons from gay-ness by home-schooling them, getting them signed up for all-male activities like football and soccer, and making sure they go to church twice per week. Yeah, I can hear you snort. Just like God and an all-male bastion like the Catholic priesthood has stamped out homosexual behavior. Duh.

So why me?? I guess to introduce you to the idea that even down here there are liberal, educated thinkers who are not brain dead. Actually, there are lots of us down here, you just can't talk too loud unless you want your tires slashed or your windows egged. But also because I was born and raised in the Yankee northeast and spend twenty years in the San Francisco Bay Area and now reside right here "in the middle" of the controversy.

It concerns me that My President, and he represents me whether he wants to admit it or not, would put so much effort into opposing an American form of self expression and love. Here is this controversy swirling all around him and I wonder how much Bush has involved himself in the real nuts-and bolts of the issues. Love.

A simple inquiry as to how many same-sex wedding ceremonies President Bush has attended? Because no matter what he or his conservative associates think or want to pretend, he does represent each and every gay American; just like he represents every Jew and every Moslem in America (just like he made sure American knew after 9-11), He is My President, whether I voted for him or not, I want him to represent me a little more realistically than he is currently doing.

I have never heard him or Laura ever admit to knowing a single gay person, male or female. I know they must have come across someone, sometime. For sure, the President has not been willing to admit to such first-hand knowledge or friendship. To my knowledge, and the media would certainly have informed me on this issue, he has never entertained a single gay couple in My White House regarding their love and commitment. Although he had no such difficulty taking himself to Iraq for Thanksgiving.

"I believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I think we ought to codify that one way or another," Bush told reporters at a White House news conference. "And we've got lawyers looking at the best way to do that."

Gay or straight, marriage is about love and commitment. Two human beings who feel that their love and trust in each other is so strong they feel they can commit walking their life's path together. Might they falter, at some later date?? Sure. As straight marriages falter, too. Might their lifestyle be somewhat different than some of their neighbors?? Sure. As we all know on Literotica, there are almost as many forms of arousal as there are positions the human body can assume in coitus. Because love, like sex and sexual orientation, are in the human mind and NOT a statute on a law book or in a Biblical text.

I wonder in my mind, does President Bush believe that only he and Laura are the only couple capable of love and marriage? Does he really think he is so damned unique?

He is certainly surrounded by advisers suggesting to him that he, and they, are capable of defining morally and legally what is love and marriage and lifelong commitment.

Is it possible that Bush's advisers are right? That "civil union" is completely acceptable as substitute for real marriage? After all, these gay and lesbian couples could all choose to "live together" and who could say a legal word about it. If gays and lesbians would accept a civil union compromise then there would be no basis for a constitutional referendum. "A constitutional amendment to block gay marriages might not be necessary, although the proposal HAS the support of Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee. " (Yeah, that is my Tennessee, darn and drat).

But, in the straight and ultra liberal world of Hollywood and mega-stars, where anything goes and stars can disregard almost any social and religious rules, Jennifer Anniston and Brad Pitt felt marriage was the ultimate public commitment. For sexy Sarah Jessica Parker and her versatile lover Matthew Broderick (does anyone remember him as Alan in Torch Song Trilogy?) only marriage would do. Not shacking up or living together. Not a "civil union" for these pairs. No. Only marriage would do.

Am I a romantic to believe it was not simply a financial or legal decision made all these couples in Hollywood or the Great White Way of Broadway? Although the "Massachusetts SJC affirmed its ruling that only marriage rights would provide equal protection under the state constitution to same-sex couples".
But what opinion should Literotica and it's vast and diverse membership have? How can George Bush and his cronies have any impact on our international readership? I would suggest to each of you that these same people who would sit in moral and legal judgement of my fellow Americans are sitting in moral judgement my fellow readers.

My fellow authors and my fellow readers, those who frequent Anal, BDSM, Gay Male, Group Sex, Fetish, Incest, Lesbian, Transsexual are all equally being judged and being found wanting and being found deviant. You are just hiding better.

"What I am needs NO excuses!
There's only one life and there's no returns and no deposits
Only one life and it's time to open up you closets."

How many of us are of this same opinion but are afraid to speak too loudly. Afraid to get your tires slashed, your houses egged, or just afraid to feel the censure of our friends and colleagues? I know very well there are parts of this world where the kind of openness I am suggesting is actually illegal. There are people who read our stories on Literotica and have no capacity to protest anything. Sexual variety is not permitted in religiously repressed countries and open dissension of one's leaders is punishable by torture and death (we hear about such things about Saddam's regime daily) and I have no doubt President George W. Bush would like to prevent his name ever being used on an erotic web site. But this is America, and the slippery slop to suppression starts at a very slight incline, perhaps hardly distinguishable at first, barely perceived.

What is Literotica but an exploration in openness and honesty. An opportunity to ply your broad and kinky sexual arousal through broad creative strokes in a totally safe, secure and usually anonymous venue. But these are all explorations into the many forms of love and often within commitment and marriage. How can we do otherwise than to find ways to voice our opinions of our fellows how have taken a much more open and courageous position than we have, ourselves.

I can tell you, on a personal level, as a single, straight, religiously practicing, G-d honoring woman of moderate looks and minimum education, I can sure tell you how very hard in it to find love and partnership in this world of ours. The thought that anyone, anywhere would disparage any two people of any age, any race, or any gender for exhibiting their love and commitment to each other is an insult to love itself. Love is love, it is not legislated nor "codified". And there is no finer place to state this than comfortably ensconced in Literotica. Love is love and it should prevail.

What do each of you get to privately shout when you call up this site? I am what I am!
"I am What I am,
I am my own special creation."


Thanks for reading this work. Please vote to indicate how much you enjoyed it (?), or how much it intrigued you and send feedback if you can spare the time. Your votes and feedback are the only way I will know how much you appreciated my effort and furnish the only means to improve my writing. Thank you.

*** 1988 Jerry Herman, La Cage aux folles

V.Rich
V.Rich
29 Followers
Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
34 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Re anon 11/14/10 "A difference of opinion"

Anon's argument is well written in terms of style but is (was) too much swayed but conservative narrative.

Questions are

- are all persons equal in their persuit of happiness?

- are gay people persons?

- does marriage make them happy?

- would the right to same-sex marriage infringe on anybody else's rights?

*

I am a Canadian citizen & feel Canadian even though i spent my formative years in one of less affluent European countries.

In light of the fact that in October this year the Conservative Party of Canada might get re-elected (God forbid!) I will discuss the ABORTION ISSUE too ( they would ban it if they could!)

The whole discussion whether fetus is a person is aimed at limiting or banning abortion rights for women.

WE MUST USE A SIMILAR LITMUS TEST WHEN SEARCHING FOR THE RIGHT ANSWER:

- do rights of the fetus infringe on mother's rights?

- whose rights take take precedence?

- does the government has the right to refulate a woman's wumb?

- how far the rights of the government can go?

- would that make women lower-tier citizens?

- does the government has the right to tell men what to do with their reproductive organs?

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
A difference of opinion

Sorry to disabuse you, but the educated(overly educated?) might be on your side, but the INTELLIGENT are not. A nation that is tolerant of gays is a noble one. A nation that accepts that lifestyle as an equally valid alternative to the 'straight life' is not sick...it is doomed...period. If some 'backward neanderthal' conservative can prevent some kid from turning into the deadend that is the gay lifestyle (i.e. no children, by definition, no future), then I say more power to them. I don't know if I am part of the intelligentsia (I rather doubt it) but I do have 3 master's degrees, so I am not an unbeknighted yahoo, as some on the left call their adversaries. Having a family is the only road to happiness; I don't say this because it''s in a book somewhere; no, it is a personal finding, as I (alas?) have no family myself.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
marriage and the law

Well written and thoughtful. Thank you for your input on this critical issue.

However, I agree with the also well written thoughts of "A strange but common misconception." Lets get government out of our private lives.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
The internet at its best!

This was an interesting, intelligently presented opinion. It is so cool that we have a country, and a thing like the internet, that allows and promotes thought and the exchange of ideas. Anyone that cares to take the time, can express an idea, concern, fear, hope, or dream and have others share it and respond to it. This is a great time and a great country. This essay, as well as those essays that oppose the arguments presented, are the very essence of a free land!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
A strange but common misconception

The point where this essay is utter nonsense is to equate the concern over marital status to a matter of love. Granted, most members of both sides of the argument seem to rally under this banner, but it is childish foolishness and completely fails to address the real and rational concerns that homosexual couples should have concerning marriage. This misconception is further compounded by the extensions both sides make i.e. "Sanctity of Marriage" and "How can you legislate love?".

Given that Atheists get married I'd have serious doubts about Sacred being integral to marriage. Similarly a more secular concept of sanctity is routinely violated by the existence of adulterers and open marriages. Sanctity in that sense is either only violated on a case by case basis, or has been so utterly violated for so long that attempts to preserve it are like protecting the maidenhood of a bride six months pregnant. As for legislating love, if marraige is your definition for love then I assure you, it is legislated so any questions about the how are moot.

Marriage is a legal status. As such it is by definition both secular (therefore not sacred) and law (therefore definitely legislated). If it fails on either count it should be stripped completely from the realm of law as either unconstitutional or frivolous and meaningless respectively. In the form that it has been legislated in the US, it is also a deliberate social engineering project designed to create the nuclear family--in which it has been very successful.

The problem is not one of any authority saying to anyone that they cannot demonstrate their love for each other. No one is legally forbidding homosexual couples from having ceremonies before their family and friends to affirm their love for one another. The problem is the associated attributes that the legal status of marriage creates. Anyone making claims to contrary has either never tried... or lives in Tennessee....

The what? Well, little things like being considered family when your loved ones are admitted to the hospital, or being able to apply your medical coverage to your spouse. Buying a house together, adoption, being the next of kin in the unfortunate event of a partner's death, power of attorney, joint bank accounts, filing income taxes- all these things are affected by whether or not you are married, and to whom. This is because marriage is NOT about love but about assets. Interestingly, there seem to be a large number of workarounds to these problems-- but not all of them.

A problem glossed over in the essay was that it has been understood that civil unions are not expected to guarantee that the legal rights associated with and guaranteed by marriage (such as spousal confidentiality) will be completely protected and preserved. This is what should be focused on. Not this concept of love.

What I would much rather see done, is the removal of marraige as a legal status. Completely. Provide civil unions with all the robust protections that marriage has--but this time around we could get it right and remove the social engineering aspects altogether-- or at least as many as can be readily identified. We could create a contract between person(s) and person(s) and get rid of a lot of other silly and spurious arguments in the process.

A conservative, educated, thinker.

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

The Arrangement Ch. 02 Dylan sees another side of Jessica that changes everything.in NonConsent/Reluctance
The Arrangement Ch. 01 Dylan agrees to fake date his boyfriend's sister.in NonConsent/Reluctance
Young Boss, Unwilling Celebrity Pt. 01-02 The new ad campaign exposing a reluctant Tim begins.in NonConsent/Reluctance
Milked by My Fiancée’s Mother Ch. 01 Man enters a CFNM family.in Erotic Couplings
Straight Up Blackmailed Pt. 01 Husky gay man is coerced into sex by partner's female BFF.in NonConsent/Reluctance
More Stories