Germanic

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the months went by though I found myself getting very close to Lydia. I had no trouble making myself understood in German anymore. My English felt like a second tongue now I spoke German all the time, I even thought like a German. Although German had been part of my heritage I didn't understand IT until I lived here. I had to go get my passport renewed now and again as I was only 'visiting' but as they saw I was touring the country by my train tickets I was given that freedom, I just needed to check in now and again and prove I was playing 'tourist'.

We were staying in Switzerland on Lake Constance at a spa I had treated us to when my phone rang. It had rung many times over the weeks and months of our trip but my kids were fairly self-sufficient and I was surprised when Calvin called.

"Mom, do you ever check your email?" were the first words out of his mouth after I answered.

I was surprised, how did he know I hadn't checked it recently. I was having too good a time I guess. "Why, did something happen?" I asked sardonically. The masseuse was working my lower back muscles and I desperately wanted to groan, I bit it back and Lydia who was on the adjoining table watched me close my eyes in ecstasy, a familiar facial expression to her.

"No, not yet it hasn't, do you know what this weekend is?"

Having no clue at the date much less the time much less what he was talking about I had to ask "What is this weekend?"

"It's my graduation ceremony." I could tell he was exasperated by his tone.

Graduation? That wasn't until MAY! Holy shit, it was May? I wanted to ask him what day it was but thought better of it at that point. "I'll be there, you know I wouldn't miss it for the world. What kind of a mom would I be?" There, that sounded good. Damn it! All the tension the masseuse had worked out of my body was back in an instant, he must have felt it too as he stopped while I was on the phone.

"Okay, the ceremony is Saturday, I put it all in the email. I'll let you go since this is technically an international call."

"All right sweetheart, I'll see you Saturday! Take care!" I called across the miles and hung up. Putting the phone on the tray in front of me I looked at Lydia who was looking back at me in alarm. I don't know how my face looked but I felt terrible. How could I not know it was May? I had almost missed my son's graduation from college! Where had the time gone? Looking across at Lydia I realized I had been having too much fun with this woman to realize the time that had passed. I had indulged myself too long. Time to be responsible again. Wait, after this massage, mmmmm.

As we went up in the elevator to our room later Lydia tried to ask me what was going on. "Liebling, was ist los?"

"I need to go back to America, immediately." I told her in German. I could tell by the look on her face though she wasn't happy with that idea.

Once we were back in our room I hooked up my laptop immediately and used their free wireless connection. Typing in AOL I soon had my emails up and read my son's letter to me. Yep, there it all was in black and white. What an idiot I had been. Jeez, thank goodness he had called. Lydia was taking a shower as I called down to the concierge to arrange an immediate set of flights to get me to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. It would cost me a mint last minute like this but I was frugal by nature and my son would only be graduating once, I think. The concierge agreed to make all the arrangements and have a car waiting for me in the morning. He would call me later once he had confirmation. I was relieved that I didn't have to make the arrangements, it would all be taken care of for me. I liked this kind of traveling.

Lydia came out of the shower as I hung up the phone. "What is going on?" she asked in German.

"Baby, I have to leave tomorrow for America. My son is graduating and I simply must be there."

"Can't I come with you?" she asked. The look on her face alarmed me, she was panicking.

"I will be back, I promise you, I will come back. I need to go though and there is no time for you to arrange with your work or make any other arrangements." I told her gently.

Lydia looked angry. I couldn't understand it. In all the months we had been together I had been generous with her. I made all our travel arrangements, I paid for all our tickets and excursions, I bought all our meals, I even bought us both clothes, there was nothing I could do about this situation. Although I didn't want us to be apart either I couldn't take her with me. Didn't she understand that? Apparently not, she sulked that night as I packed. I found though I needed another suitcase. She reluctantly went with me into town to shop for one. I didn't buy her anything and as I had usually bought her something every time we shopped from harmless little trinkets to some really nice clothes this too must have made her pout. I wasn't happy. She was ruining our last night together.

We didn't make love that night with both of us having our feelings hurt like that. I had no desire to make love to a spoiled little brat and she was still sulking making me feel bad for something I had to do. It hurt me, it really did. Was the only reason she was with me because of my money and what I could buy her? I didn't voice this but I thought about it and it made me angry. I didn't get a lot of sleep that night thinking about the situation. In the early morning after I had finally fallen asleep she gently woke me by making sweet love to me. I let her as I knew it would be a while before we saw each again, if ever. I had a lot to think about and maybe this was the last time. It would break my heart not to ever see her again but she had never told me she loved me and I certainly wouldn't tell her now. It was an incredible session of the sweetest kisses and the kindest caresses, I cried after I came it was so poignant. I could only return the favor and I was gratified to see the tears in her own eyes as she came. We showered together and she delighted me by brushing out my long hair and drying it. It was relaxing and erotic all at once. I tried not to let my baser instincts get to me as she touched me.

Dressing seemed to take a long time. Our croissants and rolls that came up with a fruit plate as well as coffee and juice were soon consumed. Brushing my teeth and putting on my makeup I chose to wear one of the beautiful suits that Lydia had chosen for me in Berlin. I loved the new clothes I now owned. What I had brought from Wisconsin was rarely worn anymore. I had changed a lot and for the better I felt over the last months. I knew a new veneer had taken over me, I had a sophistication that was always there waiting to get out and I owed it all to traveling with Lydia. She made me want to be a better person, we went places, saw things, did things that all helped me be a better person for her, to her, with her. I loved who I had become. She also had exquisite taste and I took my cues from her, she had made a few suggestions I loved, nothing pushy, nothing commanding but subtle and beautiful. I had found I actually have good taste and now I have places to wear those items I have purchased.

The bell boy took my bags to the limo for me. I had arranged for the concierge to arrange Lydia's travel back to Hammerbruke whenever she was ready. She could stay another week here at the spa if she wanted. I tried not to cry as we kissed goodbye but then I had to go. The limo was driving me to the airport and planes wouldn't wait for me.

The flights seemed interminable. I flew from Lake Isabella to London, from London to Chicago, from Chicago to Milwaukee. I worried that my luggage, especially my new clothes would all be lost in transit. I can't tell you how delighted and surprised I was when it all came rolling out on the carousel in Milwaukee. Customs again was different here in the states. I felt like I had come back to po dunk USA. I no longer fit in here. The trip itself had weighed heavily on my mind. The short layover I had in London I tried to send an email to Lydia expressing my sorrow over leaving her, my need to be back here, but even to my ears it fell flat. I tried again in Chicago but didn't have as much time. All through the hours on the flight when I wasn't sleeping, I thought about Lydia and our awesome months together. I missed her already; this flight would have been fun with her. She had a terrific sense of humor and I missed her so much!

I rented a car when I got to Milwaukee. This too had been arranged by the concierge in Switzerland. Amazing, I hoped I had tipped him enough for doing his job so well. I would have to ask Lydia, she would know, if she ever talked to me again.

It took only 45 minutes to get to my house in Oconomowoc. It was a good thing I had a gardener who cut the lawn and kept the yard clean or this would be a mess. I know my boys wouldn't have bothered and the jungle I would have come back to would not have been pleasant. I cannot believe I have been gone ten months! I hadn't intended to be gone that long but here it was late May. Damn time had flown. I knew why though, I had enjoyed myself entirely too much with Lydia. The places we had gone, the sights we had seen, it had been incredible.

The door opened with my key effortlessly. Hauling in my cases one after another I hauled them upstairs to my bedroom. Nothing had changed there. It was kind of empty. My plants of course were all dead. The boys wouldn't have thought of watering them. I wondered where the boys were. Oh well. I began to unpack and hang my clothes up. I was finishing with the last suitcase when I heard the front door open and a call for "Mom?!"

Rushing down the stairs I flew to give my boys hugs and kisses. Something I do NOT do so they were surprised, alarmed, and bashfully pleased. I had missed them though! We were all talking a mile a minute and I sat down in the living room to catch up. Hours went by before we were through and I offered to take them both out to dinner, my treat. How often had I said that with Lydia, that it was my treat? I had to stop thinking about her for a while; I can't tell you how hard that really was. I know, I love her, but I had only been gone from her a day. Was I obsessed?

The next day was Friday. Friday? I was really a mess date wise. I spent the day catching up with a few friends I hadn't seen in nearly a year. I had to fit it around their schedules but I didn't mind. I also didn't realize how much I had changed. That veneer I had acquired in Europe was evident. I also didn't dress like anyone they knew. The sophistication didn't slip. I even wore my hair differently. I guess I was different.

The graduation ceremony was awesome. I yelled myself hoarse as my son proudly accepted his diploma. I was so proud; he had worked so hard for five years for this moment. What an accomplishment. I wanted to throw him a party but having talked to my sister in law we had decided to combine efforts and have one next weekend for my son and my nephew who was graduating NEXT Saturday from the University of Madison. My son had graduated from the University of Milwaukee. Fortunately the ceremonies hadn't been on the same day. To avoid the relatives having to travel twice we would have the party at their house and I would help pay for it. That seemed fair.

I tried to write to Lydia via email to let her know my plans thus far. She hadn't responded and I figured fine, you sulk you spoiled brat you. I wasn't playing games, I hadn't deceived her, I was telling her like it was. She didn't take my calls either so I was getting royally pissed. With the time difference I really had to make an effort but it was lost on her.

Saturday dawned warm and fair. Only three people per graduate were allowed because of the amount of traffic and the room availability so my brother, my other nephew, and my sister-in-law went down to Madison for the ceremony. While they were gone I set up for the party. My other brother and his family were coming out to Oconomowoc from Milwaukee, my sisters daughter but not my sister was coming (my sister and I didn't get a long), my two sons, then my brothers other two sons were all going to be there. I set the soda and beer bottles in buckets I filled with ice and set them in the shade of the beautiful oak and maple trees my brother had planted years ago. The corn was sitting in a barrel of water waiting to go on the grill and the brats had been boiled in beer and were waiting. I had bug nets over the snacks and the plates and cups were weighted down on the picnic table. Everything was ready as the guests arrived.

First to arrive back from the ceremony were my brother Seth, his wife Jennifer, their oldest son TJ and their son Kevin who was the graduate. Their other two sons CJ and Michael had stayed to supposedly help me but had let me do all the work; well they did move the picnic table. My niece Cally was next to arrive with her daughter Alice. I hadn't seen either of them in ages and the hugs were well felt. My own son Calvin who was the other graduate we were celebrating arrived with his girlfriend Judy. Where was my son Alex and his girlfriend? I sent them a text message. Then my brother Josh and his wife Jessica showed up with their son Vincent and daughter Millie. This was my favorite brother and sister in law. They had been very supportive over the years. It was nice to see them both after all this time.

The party was going well; Seth was having fun with the grill. The boys had all been playing with the fire pit and roasting marshmallows. Each of Seth's boys had their girlfriends along and it made for a jolly party. I sat and told about my travels through Germany and didn't realize the significance of the looks passing between my sister's in law and niece as well as Josh when my eyes got all glassy in remembering. I didn't mention of course that I had been traveling with anyone, it wasn't their business and I felt they wouldn't understand anyway.

I cannot believe that Ana is leaving me. I understand she needs to go home for her son. She has left him for 10 months though to be with me and he seemed fine. Now there is a ceremony that she MUST attend? I don't understand it. Everything has been going so well. I have enjoyed traveling around Germany with this woman, this crazy American. She keeps me on my toes. I never know what she will come up with next. She is always surprising me, keeping things lively, showing me things I didn't know about my OWN country. I have never enjoyed myself so much.

It has been hard too though. She refuses to let me buy anything. I guess she assumed from that dilapidated old Mercedes that I was poor. I never told her different and for that I am ashamed. It is nice to be enjoyed though for myself and not for my money. I must tell her when she returns, if she returns. She wasn't very happy when she left and for that I am sorry. I behaved very badly. I am ashamed to say I pouted that she didn't invite me. Well, what could I expect. Two first class tickets to Wisconsin? I should have told her I would pay for it myself. Perhaps though, she is ashamed of me? Here people accept us being a couple without another thought. Maybe it isn't like that there. She did try to tell me sometimes. I am afraid I didn't want to know much about her life before. How selfish of me. I realize that now.

I can make it up to her though when she returns, maybe though she will not want to return. She never makes promises she doesn't keep. Did she promise to come back? I don't remember. Maybe though, I should make it up to her before then. I should go to her! It isn't like I cannot afford to go. I will surprise her! Won't she like that? She surprises me all the time, maybe it's time I return the favor. Yes, that's exactly what I will do. I will fly there and surprise her. I better call and have them make the jet ready.

Calling down to the concierge she arranged for a private plane to take her back to Hammerbruke. She made sure Ana wasn't charged for any of her travel arrangements. Although it had been nice to be taken care of for all these months she could take care of herself very well. She called ahead and had them make ready her private jet to fly overseas and file a flight plan. She also had a car meet her as she flew in from Switzerland. Her bags were taken off for her and put in the Rolls. As they drove to the estate where she had told Ana she worked she was welcomed home repeatedly with "wilkommen Baroness" and all the bowing and curtsying. It sickened her in this day and age but then she had grown up with it and was accustomed to it. As she walked the halls of her mansion while her bags were being re-packed she went to her private office to make a few other calls and arrangements. She checked some of her correspondence that which hadn't been forwarded to her while she was away. Her private secretary had taken care of such details and things had run smoothly.

She boarded her private jet on Friday after a few days of hard work. She had wanted to make sure that things would continue to run smoothly while she took an indefinite leave. She caught Ana's emails before she left and realized she would arrive as she was having the party to celebrate her son and godson's graduation. How charming. Americans always looking for a reason to celebrate.

The car that drove her from the airport in Milwaukee seemed to be a little slow. She looked curiously out at the countryside and was surprised to see it reminded her of parts of Germany. Something Ana had told her time and again. As the driver pulled into the address she had of Ana's it occurred to her that she certainly didn't know the address to any of Ana's brother's homes. She rang the doorbell. A young man answered the door.

"Hello? Can I help you?" he asked curiously.

"Good day is Ana Meunier here?" she asked in accented but perfectly understandable English.

"Ah no, she's not. She's at a family party and won't be back until late" the young blonde man answered. He looked at her curiously.

"Are you Alex or Calvin?" she asked.

Surprised that she knew his name he answered "I'm Alex, who are you?"

Pulling herself up regally she used her title, not to impress but to stress the importance of him giving her the information she desired as well as from a habit of a lifetime "I am the Baroness Lydia Von Horn, I am a friend of your mother's and the family in Germany. Can you take me to your mother?"

Alex hesitated for a moment he wanted to help her he really did but he didn't know her "if you want you can follow us over to my uncle's house."

Examining the young man Lydia realized he had to be older than she had assumed. How in the world had Ana had a son this age? This was the younger one? That meant Ana had to be over 40? No way, there was some misunderstanding here! She would get to the bottom of it too. "You can ride with me and my driver if you wish" she gestured to the limo.

The young man's eyes nearly popped out of his head. A young woman appeared over his shoulder and said "what's going on Alex?"

"Ah apparently we don't have to wait for AAA after all, we have a ride."

Looking past him to the woman standing there and past her to the limo in the driveway the young woman's eyebrows nearly disappeared on her forehead they rose so high. "Okay, let's go then." She grabbed a bag and Alex took it from her as he led her out of the house.

Lydia led them back to the limo where the driver was holding open the door. A flat tire on the Opal in the driveway accounted for the relief of the young people and their new 'ride.' Lydia could see they were impressed and pleased at the alternative.

"Have you ridden in a limousine before" she asked them in her accented English.

They both nodded. Alex realized though he hadn't introduced his girlfriend "ah, this is my girlfriend Loara, Loara this is the Baroness ..." his voice trailed off having forgotten all of what Lydia had said.