Girl Gets Her Man Ch. 07

Story Info
Bad becomes worse.
3.9k words
4.55
18.6k
7

Part 7 of the 21 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 02/23/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Truth74
Truth74
151 Followers

The next morning, Jo got up and out before Jesse could start in again. She didn't get much sleep anyway. Since Dan left, her so called best friend had been talking at her about how good girls shouldn't be so trusting.

"What kind of a fool knocks a girl up and leaves her? I tell you what kind. The kind that would trick a good girl into bed, that's what. You gonna eat that toast? I told you to stay away from that boy the day I figured it out, but no. You had to go and get seduced."

Jo frowned into her cereal, "I was not seduced..."

"That is some bullshit! I was there night before last. I saw you run back to him like he had your quim on speed dial."

"Quim?" Jo rinsed out her half eaten bowl and pulled her backpack over her shoulder.

"See. You don't know shit about anything. It's a word for your kooch. You're coming straight back from class, right? We're supposed to go to the store. I'll make out the list."

"Yeah," Jo grumbled. 'It's not like you cook anything, so why do I have to buy what you want?' Her fight was gone. She wasn't sure why she was so submissive, but today she just wanted out of the house. "I'll be back at about three."

"Remember what I said. He's gonna lie like a dog, so make him work for it."

*

Dan scratched at his stubble as he typed furiously into his laptop. The paper would be garbage, but it would be turned in garbage. His heart was elsewhere. His restive sleep didn't help his brain, either. He'd tried after every class to speak to her, but she just brushed by him as if he didn't exist. The chime sounded. 2:45. He quickly slid his laptop into the back of his case and strode down to her. If he didn't try now, he knew he wouldn't get another chance until after the holiday break.

"Jo," he breathed as he caught the shoulder strap of her bag. His other hand went to her arm as he shielded her from the students rushing past. "We need to talk."

"I know," she frowned up at him.

'Oh, that beautiful frown on those lips. Those sad eyes looking back at me. Focus, Dan. Just tell her.' "I'm an idiot. I want you to know that I would have told you about the whole Candy thing..."

"When?" The question pushed him back.

"When the time was right. You haven't told me about the guy, either."

"The guy?" She looked away from him. "What guy?"

"You know what guy I'm talking about." He moved in close and pressed his lips to hers. He gripped her arm and moved her into contact with his crotch. Instinctively she pulled back and turned her body away from him. He watched her expression become less certain. "That guy. The one that you say doesn't exist. I thought we agreed that I wouldn't ask about your relationships if you didn't ask about mine. I thought Candy fell under that category, but she doesn't. I should have told you. I'm willing to lay it all on the table, but you're not ready to listen, are you? I'll be around when you're ready." He let her go and walked away.

*

Joanne spent the entire Christmas break with her parents. She even stayed behind when they went out for dinner. They thought this was so odd that they kept asking their only child what was wrong. She had always been the one to choose the restaurant and be the first one to be ready to go. Her father didn't want to complain. He had his favorite TV companion back, but she seemed lost in thought during their favorite programs. Once she finally zeroed in on the general area of her only daughter's distress, her mother kept asking about her sex life. Nonexistent was not an acceptable answer.

"Honey, I was married by your age. You're saying you haven't met anyone?"

Joanne grumbled over some leftover turkey, "I've met a few dogs, that's it."

"Dogs?" Her mother frowned her perfect frown at her.

Joanne had always thought that Karen Davis Croix was the most beautiful woman she'd ever seen. She wore the best clothes, said the right thing, and had a facial expression for every occasion. This particular occasion warranted the 'what in the world just came out of my girl's mouth' look. Jo never felt she could match up to that kind of an inheritance, so she just didn't try.

"Yeah, ma. Guys that only want one thing. Nobody worth my time," Jo sighed as she got up to pour herself some more grape juice.

"Don't try to lie to me. I can see it on your face. There was somebody really nice. So who was it?"

"Nobody. Some jerk, who had a girlf...fiancé he dumped but is still seeing."

Karen let out a sigh and then an unexpected laugh. "That's a relief."

"A relief?"

"Honestly, hon. I thought you might have been gearing up to come out of the closet or something."

"What?"

"Face it. You haven't stayed home during a break since your freshman year. The last boy you brought around here was when you were...14 years old. Your 21, Joanne. That's a pretty long time. I figured I'd have to start looking for girls you might like. I'm not much of a judge of women."

"There've been men," Jo started to lie but knew by the look on her face, that her mother wasn't buying it. "Okay, fine. I haven't dated at all."

"I didn't date, either. Your father was it. He literally fell for me. Head first into the fountain, right hon?" Her father, James, raised a hand from the couch as he pretended not to listen. She turned back to Jo and smiled knowingly, "I'd hate for you to miss out, because you didn't put yourself out there. No more hiding behind those books. Pretty soon, you won't have them anymore."

"I tried, Mom. I just can't do that again. He was so... I was completely fooled. You'll have to hold off on those grands you keep talking about. Maybe, when I'm in my thirties..."

***

Daniel paced in front of her apartment. He knew he'd seen her walk past the shop the day before. He wasn't imagining seeing her on the street. He wasn't crazy. She returned from her trip, but she didn't call him or stop in at the shop. He'd pressed her buzzer and she reluctantly agreed to come down. He'd thought that a few weeks would be enough for her to cool off. It had been more than enough for him to realize that he couldn't be without her. There was no way he would let her forget about him.

"Daniel," her voice had been firm when she finally came out to stand on the top steps. He smiled to himself. 'It took her a while to put up the front. Good. It's not entirely lost.'

His freshly cut hair shone black in the winter sun, as he moved up a step to be eye level with her. Though dressed in a heavy coat, he could see her shivering. He wanted to touch her, but understood that they weren't close enough for him to do that anymore. He searched her face with those slate blue eyes and breathed, "Are you ready to listen, now?"

"I..." He had looked her square in the eye. She hadn't been ready for that. She thought he'd avoid her, since Jesse said he was obviously back with Candace.

He frowned at her, "I think we should talk about this before you decide to write me off. I'm willing to stand out here for the duration if necessary. Say yes now, so that you can get out of the cold."

"Uh, not here. Jesse..." They were both surprised at the softness of her voice.

"Fine, meet me at the shop in half an hour."

*

Jo wasn't sure why she was standing outside of Langiers with her hand on the door handle. Suddenly, the idea wasn't so great.

A beautiful woman with long curly black hair lounged at a table close to the cash register. That wasn't the reason she didn't want to go in. It was the way that David Langier took the woman's hand and smiled. This was the chosen one. The one that was worthy of his son's affection. She pushed her way into the restaurant anyway with her ratty jeans and quickly curled hair. Half an hour wasn't long enough for her to get into some semblance of good looking. Her mother showed her a few shortcuts, but there are no shortcuts for natural beauty. 'Yeah, Mom. I can hear you in my head. You should have put the styling lotion in so the curls would stay right in this wind. I know. Looks like it doesn't matter, anyway.'

David cleared his throat and said, "Joanne. What brings you here?" His words were airy and pleasant, but his eyes were intent upon her.

"Uh," she'd never been openly hated before. She crouched there in the entryway with her gloves in one hand.

"Joanne," Dan peaked around the door and ushered her through the kitchen and up to the house. "I'm sorry, I wanted to get to you before you saw Candace."

'That was Candace? I just knew it! Hell, what am I even here for?'

"I'm glad you came," he smiled as he sat her down on an overstuffed sofa. "I've seen you walk by the windows a few times. I wanted you to make the decision to come in. Why didn't you? Never mind that. You're here, now. Can I get you anything?"

She shook her head, "No thanks."

He cleared his throat and put two fingers into the collar of his polo to rub his neck. His eyes were so wide and intent on her that she turned away. She wasn't sure what emotion he was feeling, but it was too strong for her. She felt embarrassed for him to look at her that way.

"Truthfully, I've had two weeks to think of what to say, but it seems all wrong in my head, right now. Where do you want me to start?"

"I don't know. It's your story, not mine," she ventured a quick contact with those eyes and went back to studying the thread pattern of her jeans.

"Candy and I were childhood friends. We got together a few years ago. I did a lot of stupid things back then. I guess I was ashamed of what you'd think of me..."

"Donatello?" A sing-song voice trailed up the stairs. The woman's voice was bold and melodic as it grew closer. "Sweetie, it's nearly time for the dinner rush. Shouldn't you be getting the rolls together?" The statuesque woman from below entered and put her hands on his shoulders. "You know your dad hates to make them." With her flickering hazel eyes directed at Joanne, she leaned down and put her breasts to the back of his head.

"Candy..."

Her fingers went to his face, and she purred, "Don't waste time up here with your tramp. You promised we'd talk about things after dinner."

"She's not a tramp..."

Jo stood up. She wanted to say something, but couldn't think of one nasty thing to say. 'You'd think with Jesse as a roommate, you'd have one ready!' She knew she looked like a moron just standing there with her mouth open. The girl cocked her head at Jo and smiled. Candy knew she'd won. 'Won? I didn't know there was a game.' Jo picked up her gloves from the sofa and turned away. "Tramp, slut, or whatever," Candy smiled at Jo. "She's still fuckin my man."

"Jo, don't go," she heard Daniel call after her, but by then, she was at the bottom of the stairs. She rushed past David before he could add to her ordeal and made her way through the dining area.

"Jo!"

She set her jaw and kept walking. She got her hand to the outer door when someone grabbed her by the arm and turned her around. Daniel's eyes were nearly black as he pulled her away from the door. "No, you're not gonna do this. That's not how this is. Come back upstairs. Please."

"I can't do this," she hissed at him as she felt the stinging of her held back tears.

He scanned her face. 'She doesn't understand. I have to make her understand.' "But..."

"Don't look at me like that! Like I owe you something. Go have dinner with your girl."

She pushed him away as she opened the door to the cold wind. He made a move to follow her out onto the sidewalk and she signal for him to stop. "Don't! Don't humor me with this show, okay? It was a mistake to come here. You really do like to make me look like I'm stupid. Well, this one was my fault. I don't blame you at all. Don't come after me and make it worse."

It didn't feel right, but he couldn't go against what she needed. He knew, just by the way that he looked at her, he was hurting her. Why did Candy have to show up and wreck everything? It looked like he'd invited the woman over. She'd been his best friend once. He couldn't just get rid of her, could he? He watched as Joanne walked up the path toward the parking lot.

***

"I told you he was a manho, girl. I don't know why you went over there," Jesse yelled over the din of the club. "I told you he was back with my girl. You didn't need to see for yourself."

Joanne looked around the crowded floor and clutched her stool. There were way too many people there than made her feel comfortable. Jesse had insisted on dragging her out after she saw her friend crying. It was better than being by herself, but not much. As usual, Jesse was the belle of the ball with the occasional man giving her a pity hello. She knew it was all about her attitude, but Jesse had a man and was still the flirt. She wasn't having a bad time. There were some funny moments when guys would get on the dance floor to impress their ladies. Jesse took every offer to dance that she got. Jo preferred to watch her friend show off her energy.

"It's that damsel in distress thing that you give off," Jesse smiled as she took a sip of the yellow fruit drink that she'd ordered. "Guys love that."

"No they don't. How many dances have you gotten tonight?"

"No, that doesn't count. A guy will usually take the easy lay, if offered," she pointed to herself, "but you're the prize, see. Gary's all obsessed with winning the prize. Hot Chocolate just wanted to steal it."

"Stealing. Winning. There is no prize. I told you before..."

"You don't get it! You're no man's land. Even if a man's been there before, you're not like Disneyland. Get it? They want to be the one that wipes that look off of your face."

Jo frowned down at her drink. She didn't want to ask what she meant, because Jesse was obviously drunk. It would also prove how naïve she was.

"You don't even know you have it, do you? You're all capable and smart, but all they see is virgin. It's in your eyes when you look at them. You're not dreaming about what you'd do to them if you got a chance."

"How do you know? I'm not a virgin, and I can fantasize with the best of 'em."

"That's just what they are. Fantasies."

Jo felt done with the lecture portion of the night and got up to retreat to the restroom. Her knees didn't quite agree with her and she struggled to keep her balance. She looked back at her drink and then to Jesse in surprise.

"Yeah, it had vodka in it. I figure you deserve a little bit of booze. You earned it."

She made it to the bathroom and back unassisted. She nearly missed her stool, though.

*

When he saw her sitting with Jesse, he nearly went over to try to talk to her, but he knew what would happen. It actually burned in his chest to see her visibly upset. He knew he'd caused the situation, and he would need to work hard to fix things. She was so beautiful. It didn't make much difference whether he was across the room or right next to her. She was just that attractive to him.

"Hey, Ace," a deep voice came up from behind him. He turned to see a face he hadn't seen in years.

"Jerry! How are you," he greeted his old friend with a smile and a slap to the arm. "Long time no see!"

"Yeah, the circuit isn't very kind. I've got a gig out in Chalvers, so I thought I'd check out the scene. I'd've never thought I'd see you here." The thin black man dressed in dark clothing slid in closer so that Daniel could hear him. The two had been at high school together until their paths diverged. Jerry moved on to do music, while Daniel buried himself in biology.

"Yeah, well," Daniel tried not to glance over toward Joanne. "Something just drew me in here." Just then Joanne put her head back and exploded with laughter. He'd never seen her do that before.

"Like fate? Don't go on about that. It makes you look pathetic. Oh, I see," Jerry passed a long fingered hand in front of Daniel's face. "She's too much for you, boy."

"Huh?" Danny turned to face Jerry.

"There is no way that thick piece of chocolate would give you the time of day."

Jerry meant Jesse. Daniel gave a nervous laugh, "She already tried to give me more than the time."

"Tried?"

"She's not my style," Dan shrugged.

"Jesus! Go over there and get some of that. She'd break you off, but you'd die smiling," Jerry chuckled.

"Jer, it's not like that, okay? I had that. What about the other one?"

"The other one? She's a bit thin for my taste. If her face is half way decent, we'd talk. But, then again, you could always just turn her back to you to do your business."

Joanne stumbled off of her stool and looked back toward Jesse.

"Even better," Daniel heard. "The evening has one more possibility."

Daniel didn't like the smile that played across his friend's face. He watched as Jerry walked over to Jesse and whispered in her ear. Jesse smiled back at him and said a few words. Jerry had an extra skip as he maneuvered his way back to Daniel.

"Danny, you want the other one, I can arrange it. She said to just give them a few more drinks, and..."

"No."

"What?"

"No," he frowned as he focused squarely on his friend's eyes and looked away.

"Fine, I'll take 'em both. What is your problem?"

He watched Joanne shuffle her way back toward her seat. "Nothing," he said as he moved for her.

He was lucky to catch her before she fell to the floor.

"Easy there, beautiful."

The thin fabric of her dress conducted the warmth of her flesh to his fingers as he moved her to sit down. He couldn't help how his fingers danced over her hips and across her waist. For an instant, she looked up with a smile, but she converted to confusion and then anger. She nearly growled, "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask the same question of you," he caught her purse before it slid off of the table. "You don't drink, Joanne."

"Neither do you," she mumbled. "So! I'm fine! Why do you care?"

"Yes, you're fine, but that has nothing to do with what I'm seeing." He looked up at Jesse who was smiling indulgently at her wasted friend. "You need to take her home."

Jesse cocked her head at him and yelled, "Don't tell me what to do! We're having fun!"

He shook Jo's shoulder gently to catch her attention. "You need to go home before you get hurt."

She screwed up her face in a frown, pulled him in by his shirt, and said, "I really hate you."

"Well, I love you, too."

"I hate you."

"And, I love you."

"No, no," she shook her head and let him go. "I said I hate you."

"And, I said I love you. No matter what you say to me, I'll be saying that I love you."

"What?"

He took her face in his hands and pressed his lips gently to hers. Her usual sweet flavor was textured with pineapple. He wasn't sure whether the tingle on his lips was from the alcohol in the drink or her.

"I love you, Joanne." He released her and commanded to Jesse, "Take her home, or I will."

"Okay, fine," Jesse finally agreed. He walked out of the bar.

Joanne was too shocked by the feel of his lips on hers to react. He'd done it right in the open. 'Why did he have to feel so good?' She couldn't quite get her thoughts in order to rebuff him. 'He's gone, anyway. The asshole. He sure had good lips, though. He can't just go around kissing a girl like that.' She caught a familiar profile in the crowd. It couldn't be him. It wasn't him. Then the man turned to reveal the rest of his face. It was him. She would know that broad laughing smile anywhere. She burst into tears. 'Stupid alcohol. I should have been ready for him.' She could hear Jesse asking what was wrong, but she couldn't stop herself. All this time, and she wasn't ready. She'd planned all of the things she'd wanted to say, but she couldn't think of one. The object of her hatred strolled up and said, "Hello ladies." She tried to broadcast her anger, fear and confusion, but it just came out as a garbled whimper. He looked right back into her eyes.

"What's wrong with her?"

"Oh, uh, Jerry," Jesse smiled the smile that should have been meant for Terrence right at him. "I'm gonna have to take a rain check. I gotta get my girl home, you know."

Truth74
Truth74
151 Followers
12