Giselle Ch. 02

Story Info
A soldier during the Great War finds true love.
2.1k words
4.7
8.2k
2

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 03/06/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

*****

"A true soldier does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, but rather because he loves what is behind him."

Gilbert K. Chesterton

Summary of Chapter One

Darius was a foot soldier in the French Sixth Army. He was involved in the Battle of the Somme, one of the greatest trench warfare battles of the Great War. His position was overrun by the Germans. He sprinted away, finding himself in a vineyard in the Town of Maurepas. He found safety in a champagne wine cellar and discovered that the wife of the couple that owned the vineyard, Giselle, was hiding in the cellar as well. Giselle's husband Bernard was missing in action in Flanders. Darius was able to scavenge food, clothes and supplies from the vineyard farmhouse and returned to the cellar to the great relief of Giselle. Giselle and Darius celebrated Darius's bounty by sharing a hearty meal washed down with champagne. They fell asleep in each other's arms.

Chapter Two

Darius was the first to awaken by the rumble of a nearby explosion. Apparently the fighting was closeby. Darius dressed, grabbed his rifle, and made his way up the stairs with Giselle pleading for him not to leave. He peered out the door and could hear German commanders barking orders and the whinny of cavalry horses nearby. He slammed the door shut and hurried back down the stairs. "It's not safe out there. The Germans are here. We should keep our light to a minimum in case they find the cave door."

With only a stub of a candle for illumination Darius and Giselle marked time by sharing their personal histories. They sat close together under a quilt, as they were now accustomed to being in close quarters with one another. Darius relayed that he grew up in Bordeaux on a modest family owned vineyard. He went to the Sorbonne, studying to be a writer, and after graduation found a job at a local bookstore working as a buyer and a clerk. He enjoyed reading books and drinking wine, both of which he did in abundant quantities. He met Louise in Paris and had been dating about a year when he decided to enlist. She was also 24 and worked in millinery as a sales clerk. Darius was always amused by Louise, as she was always wearing the hats and clothes that were the fashion of the day. Darius shared a picture of Louise which was taken the previous year. It showed her wearing a high necked lacy dress and a wide brimmed hat. Giselle commented that Louise looked lovely. Darius told Giselle that Louise had fine blond hair and bright blue eyes. He was hoping to save up enough money to marry her, but the war put that plan on indefinite hold.

Gisele told Darius that she grew up within a mile of this farmhouse and that her parents were also farmers, although they grew lettuces and other produce instead of grapes. She had hoped to be a ballet dancer in Paris but by the time she was 13 she had grown too big to be in ballet. She pointed to her breasts, which elicited a smile from Darius. She went to art school in Paris instead and enjoyed painting with watercolors. She exhibited her paintings at a local gallery and met Bernard when he purchased one of them. Their relationship blossomed through their mutual appreciation of art. They were married about 15 years ago but weren't able to have children. She wasn't sure why. Bernard enlisted back in 1914 and went to Flanders where he went missing. She was certain he was dead. Bernard was not only a good husband but a good winemaker, with their champagne the toast of the town. They were able to use the income from the champagne to fund their household. Over the past few months commerce in the town had ground to a virtual standstill and Giselle was basically living off her garden and what she had canned from previous years. She wasn't sure how much longer her food would last. Darius was touched by Giselle's story and by the end of it was holding her hand in her lap.

Emboldened by their newfound intimacy, Giselle decided to ask Darius about his military training and the war. She had only heard second hand accounts and whatever she could glean from the newspapers. She had not had the opportunity to get a firsthand report, as Bernard had gone missing before his first leave.

"The training was grueling. I've never been particularly fit. I like to read for recreation, not run carrying a heavy pack! And waking up at 6 a.m. and going through a rigorous physical regimen was never something I aspired to. I . . .

"Was born to be in an armchair, right?" interrupted Giselle with a smile.

"What I was going to say was I wanted to be a writer," said Darius, completing his sentence.

"That's a noble profession. Did you . . ."

"Ever write a book?" said Darius, completing Giselle's thought.

Giselle nodded. Darius continued, "No, I've started many but never got past the first chapter. For some reason I've haven't had the passion to complete the story. I know I have it in me but haven't found the right topic. I've written a few short stories for the "French Literary Review" but nothing's been published. In the meantime I'll continue to read books and poetry."

"I like to read books and poetry as well. It's what's sustained me these many lonely nights with Bernard being away."

"What's your favorite poem?" asked Darius.

"More Strong than Time," answered Giselle. She recited:

"Since I have set my lips to your full cup, my sweet,

Since I my pallid face between your hands have laid,

Since I have known your soul, and all the bloom of it,"

Completing the first verse, Darius chimed in:

"And all the perfume rare, now buried in the shade;"

"Victor Hugo was one of my favorites and I studied him at the Sorbonne," said Darius. "I admired his work. This poem in particular has special meaning to me. The enduring qualities of love and the cherished memory of a woman. I guess as fellow Frenchmen we are all romantics at heart."

Giselle looked Darius in the eyes while still holding his hand. "Tell me about the war."

Darius faltered. There was a considerable silence. "I'm not exactly sure how I can describe it. Have you ever had a disturbing nightmare that woke you up and you'd tried to describe it to Bernard?"

"Yes. I will wake up shaking and Bernard will ask me what's wrong. I'll try to describe it but . . ."

Darius completed her sentence. "But you really can't put it into words."

"That's right," said Giselle.

Darius paused to collect his thoughts. "War is like a nightmare. It's a nightmare you live in. Unspeakable and unimaginable things happen on a routine basis. You become desensitized to the world. It's the antithesis of love, where you want to feel, savor and remember every moment . . . . . But being with you, even in this cold, dark, damp cave is far better than any single moment I've had in the past three months. . . . . I feel alive again, instead of spending every ounce of my energy denying what I'm seeing and feeling. I will remember every moment with you forever."

Giselle leaned over and kissed Darius on the cheek and held him close.

They talked for hours until they both grew sleepy. Darius and Giselle located an area in an alcove that was protected by riddling racks and decided to bunk down there for the night. They had a modest meal and again slept under their quilts with Darius spooned against Giselle not only for warmth but for companionship.

This time the two of them were not lightheaded from champagne, and there was an uncomfortable silence as they both contemplated their close proximity, the sense of urgency in their lives and the inevitable emergence of their primal urges. Giselle was the first to act, rolling over and kissing Darius full on the lips. Darius was unprepared for this advance and pulled back. Giselle pulled Darius towards her and the two of them started kissing passionately. Darius pushed his hands under Giselle's blouse and undergarments and found the warmth of her pillowy soft breasts. They were much bigger and fuller than his girlfriend Louise's and for that matter any other woman he had been with. He kneaded her soft flesh and Giselle responded with short quick breaths. Before they could go further Giselle pulled back and spoke.

"Darius, I know we may not live even another day. You are so young. You have your life in front of you. I'm already a woman of 38 years, and have lived at least half a lifetime. I want to give you a gift tomorrow, God willing, of my body, in a proper fashion. Hopefully you'll remember me with fondness someday with your grandchildren. For tonight, you can touch me where you desire. Tomorrow, you can have me."

Darius contemplated Giselle's remarks. Even though he loved Louise he might not live to see her. Giselle was a desirable woman, not a young girl, and was the here and the now for him. She connected with him at a level he hadn't experienced with Louise. Even though they had only been together a day, he knew that Giselle already understood him more than Louise ever would. And the war had changed him. The carefree man that Louise was in love with had died in the blood soaked trenches of the Somme. It was an easy decision to live in the moment.

Darius found a cloth and soaked it in champagne. Giselle unbuttoned her blouse and her skirt. Darius used the cloth to bathe and cleanse Giselle's breasts and pubic area and unbuttoned his pants to wipe off his penis. Darius tentatively touched Giselle by tracing his fingers around the outer edge of her breasts, feeling the weight and softness of her bosom against his hand. Giselle put her hand over his and urged him to squeeze and rub her nipples. Darius could feel Giselle's nipples harden and her body tense and twist against his. He took one of her erect nipples in his mouth and teased her by softly tracing his fingers down to her sex. Giselle arched her back, encouraging Darius to massage her clitoris with his fingers. Darius felt a surge of passion grip him as his erect penis pressed against Giselle's leg. He dipped his fingers into her sex and used the slick viscous fluids to enhance the friction of his fingers against her engorged clitoris. A sigh escaped from Giselle's mouth as Darius increased the speed of his fingers.

Giselle could feel waves of pleasure and an overwhelming feeling of warmth that overcame the damp cold of the cave. She put her hand in her mouth and as she sensed a powerful orgasm rippling through her body she let out a muffled moan as she bit down on her hand. Darius clutched Giselle close to him as her short quick breaths slowed to a regular cadence. As Giselle recovered from her orgasm, her hand went into Darius's unbuttoned pants and stroked his still erect penis. She then gently broke free of their embrace and lowered her head to take his penis into her mouth. Darius immediately knew the sensations he was feeling were unlike those with any other woman he had been with. Giselle was able to take Darius's full length in her mouth and throat, to massage his penis with her throat and to swirl her tongue around his penis in a way that caused Darius to feel lightheaded, like he just had two glasses of champagne. He came in Giselle's mouth, and instead of spitting it out, she lapped up the remaining ejaculate from his penis and swallowed all of it. Giselle felt alive again making love to a virile young man who responded to every stroke of her tongue.

Giselle pulled up the down quilt over the two of them and rolled onto her side. Darius did likewise spooning behind her. The two of them fell fast asleep with the knowledge that the day they spent together was a temporary reprieve from the omnipresent war and was one of the happiest days of their lives.

To be continued.