Goalposts Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"She's paid me twenty pounds, Leah. I promised I could make you cry and I hate to disappoint," Vicki stage whispered.

"I don't believe you're mean enough for that. You're a softie, I can tell." Leah jabbed at Vicki's ribs to tickle her.

"Okay, Rachel you're done," Vicki announced, wiping her hands clean on paper towels. "Off to hydro with you."

"Right, you're up, Leah."

Leah trailed her hand across Rachel's shoulder as she left, the two pulling comical faces at each other, laughing.

"I'm all yours, Vicki," said Leah as she bounced onto the couch.

"I've only had time for a brief look at your notes, Leah, so bear with me. Give me some hints. You're the boss anyway, what's your body telling you?"

Vicki gave Leah a professional smile, but Leah held her gaze a moment longer than seemed normal. There should have been casual banter, but they found themselves in a brief silence. Perhaps it was only a second? Perhaps two? Was that a blush in Leah's face or simply the warmth of the room?

Vicki cleared her throat to break the spell.

"So quads, fascia? The usual upper leg flush. But you had a hamstring injury last season didn't you? I remember reading something about it. We can have a look at that too." Vicki kept her chat professional, needing to make her own assessment of the midfielder's physique. Leah leaned back onto the couch but watched attentively.

"Yeah, right hamstring last November. At Arsenal. I was out for about six weeks from that," Leah replied, watching the progress of Vicki's clasped hands on her thigh without complaint.

Vicki began with broad strokes up the front of Leah's thigh, pressing the heel of her oiled hand into her smooth golden skin. She could feel the strength in those muscles, layered over each other in taut bundles. A familiar anatomical diagram played in her mind's eye, guiding the firm pressure of her strokes.

"What was the treatment for that? RICE?" Vicki enquired.

"Yeah, rest, ice -- the usual. Plus more glutes work in the gym," Leah nodded.

Vicki finished treating the front of Leah's thighs, then asked her to stand by the couch.

"I want to have a look at your posture, given that hamstring. Up on your toes if you would, high as you can. Good, now down onto your heels."

Vicki squatted beside Leah, placing her hands to find the points of the hips, locating the insertion of the femur, judging angles and alignment.

She moved to stand behind her, placing her hand flat on the downward bend of Leah's coccyx.

"Leah, do you mind if we try something here? Sorry, but I need to squeeze you tight to isolate the movement. I have to reach across your hips."

"Sure, that's fine. We're just plates of meat to you guys," Leah laughed, unconcerned by Vicki's examination.

Vicki moved close behind Leah, her shoulder pressing into the other woman's back. She wanted to assess any irregularity in the movement in the sacroiliac joint. As she did so, Vicki felt the warmth of their contact and the silkiness of the ponytailed blonde hair as she leaned her face close for balance. 'I'd kill for that hair', she noted.

"Can you tilt your hips forward, please?"

"What, you mean like I was shagging someone?" Leah's tone was pragmatic.

"Umm. Well yes, I guess that's the same. Like a bloke would do, but we call it a pelvic thrust," Vicki answered sounding just a little school teachery. "And back again. Forward. That's fine, thanks. Okay, back on the couch please, face down this time."

In practise Vicki needed to remain objective with her patients, so 'plates of meat' wasn't far off the mark when it came to clinical observations. Breaking accepted boundaries of physical contact was routine in her professional role, but she had to acknowledge the intimacy of such moments and occasionally the effect it had on her. She couldn't ignore Leah's golden limbs on the couch, but neither could she allow the thought to take root in her imagination.

Leah's long glance earlier had unsettled Vicki. It puzzled her. Was the look a challenge, a provocation or just an awkward curiosity?

She knew how to deal with such whimsical flights of fancy and hid them away behind her science and methodology. It was probably just Leah's way - she was a professional, serious about her sports career. 'So am I,' Vicki reminded herself.

"Sorry, you said the right hamstring, didn't you?" Vicki checked, running the tips of her fingers down the femoris muscle.

Vicki finished her assessments and Leah swung herself off the couch to stand. Vicki noticed a small piece of disposal paper from the couch had attached itself to Leah's forehead. She waved her over and reached to pluck it off.

"Can't have you wandering around like a stamp collector." Vicki smiled, showing her the paper.

Leah gave her another long glance, her expression neutral. Vicki thought for a moment that the other woman could say something either angry or pleasant. She was inscrutable, but reached a hand to Vicki's arm, giving her a squeeze of 'Thank you' rather than words.

Leah gathered her kit and made for the door but turned.

"You used to play with Lotte, didn't you?" Leah asked with a frown of recollection.

Vicki nodded, but looked away. She didn't want her former life to become her moniker at St George's. A playing life cut short and the judgement that accompanied it.

"We should have a kick around some time, if you'd like. Just for fun. It should be fun, Vicki, shouldn't it? " Leah smiled warmly and it felt to Vicki as though the sun had broken through clouds.

She nodded vigorously in reply. "Sure. I'd like that," Vicki answered, the warmer eye contact melting the strange frostiness between them.

"You played forward, didn't you?"

"Yeah. Right wing," Vicki replied.

"Cool. We can practise possession. See if your old skills are still there," Leah teased with a smile, then skipped from the room.

Vicki couldn't figure out Leah. She was usually quick to pick up cues from people, to understand their dynamic. When people were slightly off, sending mixed signals, it intrigued her. She supposed it was because she enjoyed having her preconceptions challenged.

Alice had been watching their exchange from her own treatment couch and stepped over.

"It's not you, Vicki. Leah's actually quite shy. It's difficult for her being captain and the attention it brings. She likes you. Trust me. You should take up her offer of a kick around," Alice spoke quietly to avoid being overheard.

"I wasn't sure if she was just being polite," Vicki answered with relief.

Alice shook her head 'I doubt it'.

"Who's next?" Vicki announced to the remaining players.

Alice and Vicki were tired after their busy assessments and treatments of the players and had retreated to that calm of their office to write up their notes.

Vicki folded her notes closed and stretched her arms to the ceiling. "That's me done. I'm meeting Lotte at the central Costa, do you want to come along?"

"I'll catch you later, Vicki. I'm off for a swim. Have fun!" Alice answered.

The cafe was a natural meeting place for players. Vicki had just collected her order when she heard her name being cooed. She looked up to discover a mezzanine balcony and Lotte's beaming smile. "Hiya sweetlips! We're up here chilling."

Vicki climbed the spiral stairs to find an area set out with cosy seats and beanbags. A number of players were already relaxing. Lotte made space in her group.

"Everyone," Lotte announced. "This is my old friend, Vicki. We used to play together at Sunderland and she was the best winger assist ever. Now she mends our broken limbs for a living."

"Hello again. Make yourself at home, Vicki." Leah looked up with a pre-occupied frown. "You'll soon fit in with this bunch of loons and misfits."

"Who you calling a misfit, Leah? Nice to meet ya, Vicki." Georgia Cranway waved a greeting.

Vicki found herself sitting next to Lucy Gold, the much decorated player. She didn't know Lucy, but they quickly struck up a conversation about injuries that other players joined in, putting questions to Vicki.

It was easy, relaxed conversation between women and athletes. Vicki glanced around at shared jokes and discovered she was being watched. It was Leah, but when Vicki caught her eye, she'd look away to her phone or another player.

Knowing that Leah was shy, the reaction didn't seem unusual, but Vicki hoped for more. She realised she wanted Leah's approval.

"So is everyone looking after you, Vicki?" Lucy asked, interrupting Vicki's thoughts.

"I'm loving it, yeah, thanks. There's such a positive atmosphere here. I mean you're all as competitive as hell but it's like you're pointing the same direction," Vicki replied, casting her eye around the group and catching Leah's eye once again.

This time Leah didn't look away but smiled instead. It was Vicki who looked away, hoping her blush went unnoticed.

The players began dispersing, dragging themselves stiffly to their feet, complaining dramatically of aches and pains.

"What are you doing later, Vicks?" Lotte asked.

"I'm tagging along with Alice. The medical crowd are eating at an Italian so I'll be with them."

"Oh, I know that place. It's excellent. Maybe you could join us when we next have a get together? Have a lovely time," Leah said, having overheard.

Lotte and Vicki hugged goodbye and everyone went their separate ways.

* * * * *

Vicki had accepted Alice's offer to lodge with her when she was at St G's and they now cycled in together.

A few days later they saw the squad taking an early run round a pitch close by, so they stopped to watch. One of the players spotted them and they returned her wave. Leah noticed too and jogged over in her lean style, as if the exercise was effortless.

"Hi ladies!" she called. "Hey Vicki. Three o'clock today, after goal-pair practise. You and me are having that kick around, okay?"

"I wasn't sure if you were serious, Leah. I'd love that," Vicki called back as Leah turned to catch the others.

"I'm always serious about the game, Vicki. Pitch five. Laters. See ya, Alice." She turned and double timed to catch up the disappearing group.

"She's always so serious. Or is that just me?" Vicki said, turning to Alice.

"Serious with you or serious as a person?" Alice questioned back.

Vicki shrugged, uncertain of a reply.

"She's never asked Charlotte or me to play, but neither of us are footballers. You're a good person to bridge that gap. We're all close to the squad of course, but Sarina was dead right to bring you on board. Let me know how it goes."

"I hope I don't let everyone down by making an ass of myself. Come on, I'll race you," Vicki answered, standing up on the bike pedals to speed up the slope to the main building.

* * * * *

It was ten past three and having changed into her sports gear, Vicki was running with the ball, chasing it round the temporary slalom posts. She saw Leah approaching, over a slope that led to the pitch. Vicki paused to wait for her.

"Hi Vicki. Sorry I'm late," Leah called as she jogged up. "We should swap numbers in case I get delayed again. The news people - they're always on my case and wanted some words for the radio."

"That's okay. They're not my best friends either, but I'm off their radar these days, thank god," Vicki answered and plucked her phone from her bag.

They fiddled with settings for a moment and paired up.

"I'm honoured, Leah. England's captain on my phone," Vicki chuckled.

"Pish, nonsense. Alice is on here too. It pays to keep in with your physio," Leah replied, still frowning at the handset, then with a smile she dropped it back into her bag.

"Your physio?" Vicki quipped.

"Yes, absolutely. Can I have that upgrade? You're the only one to have checked my hip flex," Leah answered, looking down as she placed her hands to her hips. "Did you spot anything?"

"No more wear and tear for someone your age," Vicki teased with a smirk.

Leah looked up with a frown, thinking Vicki was serious for a second but saw the grin.

"Cheeky cow. Come on, let's play." Leah lunged forward and knocked the ball out of Vicki's hands.

"Catch me!" Leah called as she speed dribbled up the pitch. As Vicki sprinted after her, the ball looked as though it was tied to Leah's feet with a bungee cord, always under control.

They sparred close over the ball. At first Vicki was nervous of getting too close and being aggressive in her challenges.

"Stop treating me like a pussy, Vicki. I'm a midfielder. Attack me!" Leah encouraged.

Soon they were mixing it up, shouldering, barging to reach a free running ball, their feet a blur as they fought for the ball. Vicki managed to break free and raced up the touchline.

Suddenly she was falling in a heap, the ball a streak of white disappearing out of play. As she fell she found the awkward shape of a body underneath her.

"That was a yellow card, Leah!" Vicki panted as she collapsed on her back.

"Was fucking not. I got the ball didn't I?" Leah laughed and rolled herself over Vicki's legs to prevent her getting up. "You're good, Vicki."

"Oh bullshit. I'm too slow now. I feel like I'm running on jelly legs," Vicki replied as she propped herself up on her elbows.

The two held smiling eye contact, their faces bright from the exercise in the autumn air.

"Can I ask you something, Leah?"

"Shoot."

"Are you and Noddy still an item? Everyone's so tight-lipped and I don't want to put my foot in it, so I thought it was best to ask you straight," Vicki glanced away as she asked, realising she had changed the tone of their banter.

Georgie Nodds and Leah had had an on-off relationship for several years and still played for the same club.

"Do you think I'd be here if I were?" Leah quickly replied, not looking away.

Vicki had plucked a blade of grass when she put her question. It was an idle distraction that suddenly had her full attention, the green blade caught between her thumb and forefinger. The stem broke with a gentle snap.

She was never very good at taking hints. 'Did I hear that right? Did she just say what I think she said?' The questions in her head suddenly flew as wildly as the butterflies that rose in a blush of colour in her chest. She looked back to Leah, who had not moved. Her steely blue eyes still focused on her like a Sphinx.

Vicki opened her mouth to speak but had no words. She saw the corners of Leah's soften into a smile as their silence became a blanket, heavy with expectation.

"You seem like my sort of person, Vicki. Forgive me for being direct. I'm famous for my lack of subtlety and ..."

"Me?" Vicki interrupted, aghast. "You mean me?"

Leah approached cat-like, stalking her prey. Muddy knees on the soft green grass.

Vicki dropped back onto the ground. Still uncertain, she moved her hands over her chest protectively as Leah came face to face over her.

Vicki studied the face now so close to her. The England captain, the woman who always had the sensible, thoughtful replies to idiot media questions, the woman's who'd risen above the gossip and tabloid slurs through her faultless integrity. The super model midfielder and crush of every teenage girl in the UK.

"Yes, I mean you. I shouldn't presume but I wasn't sure how to ask. I'm sorry, this should have happened at the end of drunken, flirty night in a quiet corner, behind someone's sofa." Leah's voice was soft, her words spoken with a wry humour.

Vicki felt stupid for not seeing this coming, innocently thinking Leah was simply being kind to her.

Leah slumped back onto her heels.

"Shit I'm sorry, Vicki. I shouldn't have said that and now I've embarrassed you."

"No, you haven't. You haven't embarrassed me. You've fucking stunned me. I'm the one who should apologise for being so slow."

The momentary doubt on Leah's face melted into a grin, her eyebrows raised impossibly high. She reached to grip Vicki hands and comically waved, their fingers intertwined, a laugh caught in her throat emerged as a squeak of delight.

Vicki began to sit up but Leah pressed her back, their lips brushing side to side, their eyes unblinking, blue in blue.

With a hand to Leah's neck, Vicki pulled her closer, the pillow warmth of Leah's lips soft on hers, the liquid gloss of their tongues twined in joyous celebration. They found it impossible to kiss and smile. Their kiss ended in unbearably happy grins, their faces close in shared breath, eyes dancing.

Vicki still doubted. To be certain, she rolled Leah onto her back, pressing her weight between the other woman's opening thighs so that their mood became hungry with passion.

Leah pulled Vicki closer, wrapping her arms around her as they kissed again. Now their kiss was one of desire and want. The weight of need focused in the cradle of their hips and the grip of their thighs.

When their kiss broke next they were out of breath, shaken by the discovery of their feelings.

"Is this why you wanted a kick around?" asked Vicki, plucking at Leah's top.

"Not entirely. Well yes, but I wanted to know how good you were too. It was easy to bring you down with that tackle. I didn't hurt you did I?" Leah frowned.

"I know a good physio," Vicki answered with a smile.

"Me too. Does your physio prefer Italian or Thai?"

"She'd be happy with either, Leah."

"How about you come back to my place and I'll cook for you? After all the hard work you put in, it's the least I can do. Plus I'd prefer to be in my space not in a restaurant. We won't have to dress up either. Sound good?"

Vicki nodded excitedly and climbed to her feet, offering Leah a hand up.

"One other thing, Vicki," said Leah, taking her hand. "Can we keep this to ourselves for now? Honestly, I have properly split up with Nods but I haven't dated anyone since. Neither has she and there's a conversation the two of us need to have. I'd prefer to tell her to her face, not hear it through gossip."

"That's fair. I get that. I know you two are still close and always will be. You owe that to her," Vicki replied as they walked together to collect the ball.

Vicki realised as she looked around, why Leah had chosen this pitch. There was a screen of trees and a slope that offered privacy from the meandering paths in the grounds.

"Thanks Vicki. I'd hoped you'd understand. I know it sounds like some weird divorce scenario, but ..."

"You don't have to explain, Leah. I'd do the same, because it's the right thing to do. I'd expect nothing less from you," Vicki interrupted, giving Leah a gentle shoulder nudge.

"So, where's the best place to meet you? I don't know where you live," Vicki asked as Leah bent to pick up the ball.

"Ha! But I know where you live. You're at Alice's, right? She'll be cool with it. I trust her with my life. Why don't I pick you up around seven? And wear something soft and comfy like you would at home. Seriously, this is a chill evening."

Vicki giggled at Leah's dress suggestion. "Oh, I think I've just the thing! See you later."

Leah kissed her two fingers and placed them to Vicki's lips.

"You're bloody gorgeous, Vicki Hadley. Best bit is, you don't even realise it." Leah grinned, the sun burst again in Vicki's heart as Leah bounded off to the main building.

She would wait a few minutes in case they were seen together. Vicki wandered over to one the huge trees that stood sentry in the park.

She'd always felt drawn to trees for the calmness they instilled in her. She thought them somehow wise and understanding. The roots of the giant anchored it to mother Earth, it's broken skin witness to many years and seasons. Surely the tree would understand the happy ache in her heart?

'Dear huge tree', she prayed to its listening calm. 'Have I gone completely mad or did Leah Wilkinson just kiss me? I don't know if I deserve this. What should I do?'