Goblinsbane Ch. 01: Pilgrimage

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But don't think for a moment that this means I'll be taking it easy on you from now on." Again, the goddess showed her playful side. "I have a task for you.

"Your savior - the one called Goblinsbane - is like you, in a way: he does not realize how important he is. But unlike you, he is not interested in responsibility, and he resists his instincts to do good for others.

"Sabine, I want you to become the Goblinsbane's traveling companion. He - and only he - can guide you towards your true purpose. In return, you will guide him towards his."

Feeling overwhelmed by what she was hearing from the Mother Herself, Sister Sabine wiped the tears from her eyes. She immediately had doubts, which made her feel foolish, for who was she to doubt the wisdom of a deity? She was about to leave her doubts unspoken, but then she remembered how Mirea could see directly into her heart.

"Mother Mirea, I will do whatever you ask of me. But may I first ask: why him? I think the Goblinsbane is faithless. A faithless man will lead me to my true purpose?"

"Yes, for the gods enjoy surprises even more than you mortals do." The avatar grinned. "And you should know that he is not entirely faithless. He may be on the path of the lost, yet he is not yet lost. You can help him find a better way."

Sabine carefully considered her goddess's words, as well as what she should ask Her next. "Mother Mirea, when you say that only the Goblinsbane can guide me, does that mean I cannot bring Kassus with me? He has been my most trusted, steadfast friend. I fear I would be lost without him."

"Of course he can accompany you. I know how important Kassus is to you, and you to him. Both of you are to be the Goblinsbane's newest allies. But bring no one else from the temple."

The priestess had so many more questions, but before she could ask another the goddess cut her off. "This is all I will tell you, Sabine: Go to the Goblinsbane. Befriend him. He will show you the way.

"Now, I must go." The face in the tree looked up from Sister Sabine to the others in the chamber. "All of you should know that I love you. Each of you makes me proud.

"Farewell." The avatar of Mirea faded away as suddenly as she had appeared. The apple tree's branches parted, and everything else about it returned to normal. The only evidence that a miracle had occurred were the apples that covered the ground, as well as the memory that would be forever imprinted upon the minds of the seven priestesses and the one guard who witnessed it.

As soon as Mirea's presence was gone, Sabine blacked out.

*****

The first thing that Sister Sabine saw when she opened her eyes was a window. It was dark outside. It took her several moments to recognize the room she was in was the sleeping chamber she was assigned in the temple.

Stretching upon the bed, the priestess remembered the dream she had: she dreamed that Mirea Herself talked to her during her vision ceremony. The Mother said that She was proud of her. It was such a wonderful thought.

Sabine thought that her vision ceremony would be soon. She didn't know how much time there was before dawn. Hopefully she hadn't overslept and still had plenty of time to wash, dress in her ceremonial robe, awaken Kassus, and ensure he was ready to witness her receive her vision. It was important that her friend be there for such a momentous occasion.

It was then that Sabine noticed her friend was already in her room. Kassus was slumped in a chair by the door with his chin on his chest, sleeping and snoring softly. Next, she realized that the robe she was thinking about was already on her, looking as though it had been thoroughly slept in. And as for the dream of Mirea, it dawned on her that it wasn't a dream at all. The goddess truly did speak to her.

"Goddess help me!" Sabine sat up swiftly and blurted out loud enough to awaken Kassus, who jumped to his feet.

"Hmph?!" The guard's hand reached for the hilt of a sword that should have been strapped to his hip but wasn't there, for it was leaning against the wall instead. He fumbled at nothing for an instant before realizing Sabine was awake, sitting up and staring at him. "Thank Mirea, you're awake!" In a single stride, he was beside the bed, his big hands on her slender shoulders. "We were so worried about you!"

Sabine took hold of her friend's arms. "How long have I been asleep?"

"The entire day."

Sabine slid her hands from Kassus' sleeves to his hands. "Help me up, please." Although she still felt a little weak, she didn't want to stay in bed; she felt compelled to move. Once on her feet, she made a beeline for the door, but Kassus stopped her by stepping in front of it.

"Shouldn't you rest? What happened...it was..." The look on Kassus' face was one of utter wonder.

Sabine knew exactly what her friend was feeling. No one knew better than her. "It was glorious," Sabine finished his thought, smiling gently. She placed a hand on his cheek. "Thank you for your concern, but I'm fine. What I need to do now is begin the task She gave me."

Kassus nodded, but he didn't move away from the door right away. "Before you go, you should be prepared for what's outside. Everyone in the temple knows what happened. They've been waiting for you."

Sabine thought she understood what Kassus meant, so she nodded, indicating to him that she was ready. He stepped aside and opened the door. What she saw waiting for her was more than she expected.

It looked as though all of the temple's priestesses, acolytes, and even guards were waiting for her in the hallway. Stepping out out of the room, she could see that Mireans were lined up against the walls, all the way down in either direction. Many were already standing when she opened the door. Some sat on the floor, but stood once they saw her emerge. All of them stared at her.

"Glory be to Mirea," whispered a priestess who was right by the door.

"Praise be to the Mother." Sabine turned towards the acolyte who said that, and he bowed his head to her rather than maintain eye contact.

Sabine started to make her way to the front of the temple. Each person she passed either whispered a prayer, bowed their head, made the sign of the flower, or all of the above. And after she passed by, those behind her began to follow. She did not need to turn around to know that the hall was packed with Mireans walking after her, shoulder-to-shoulder. She could hear them and even feel them behind her. Uncomfortable with all of the attention and feeling an urge to escape, she picked up the pace.

The priestess was practically jogging when she exited the hallway and entered the temple's nave. Close behind her was the procession of robed figures she did not ask for. Kassus was among them, trying to push his way through.

"Move! Please, move! I'm her protector! Sabine, wait up!" With some effort, Kassus caught up with her.

A group of priestesses - the ones who witnessed Sister Sabine's audience with Mirea - were on the chancel. A few of them lay prostrate before the altar, completely lost in prayer. Two of the women were engaged in a lively discussion rather than intense prayer: one was Matron Loria, the other was Sister Hestia. They both turned when Sabine and her fan club rushed into the nave.

Hestia stepped down from the chancel and into Sabine's path, stopping her. "Blessed Speaker, is something amiss? Did the Mother say more to you?"

"Huh? No, no, She did not. Uhh..." Sabine looked from Hestia to the crowd of Mireans standing around and between the pews. There were so many eyes on her, expecting something from her, though she did not know what. The anxiety she felt squeezing at her insides seemed to paralyze her.

Thankfully, Loria knew what to do. The elder priestess clapped her hands, sharply, to get everyone's attention. "That is enough, everyone." She spoke loud and clear, like someone who had spent a lifetime delivering sermons. "When the Mother spoke this morning, not once did She say that all of you have permission to mill about Her temple.

"Now go! All of you either have work to do, or you should be preparing for bed so you can wake up bright and early to tackle all the work you have tomorrow. Go, go!"

The matron shooed the crowd away from Sabine and out of the nave. Nobody openly objected, but they were a bit slow in dispersing. Many continued to stare at Sabine, even as they shuffled away.

Kassus stayed, because there was no way he would leave Sabine's side unless she ordered him to, especially since she was currently distressed. Hestia did not leave either.

"What is it that you need, Blessed Speaker?" Hestia asked.

There was that phrase again - Blessed Speaker. Sister Sabine knew what it meant. On the rare occasions when Mirea spoke with one of Her followers, that person became known as a Blessed Speaker. Not in her wildest dreams did she think that title would ever be hers.

Sabine said the first thing that popped into her head. "I must find Eredwal."

"Of course. Now that you are awake, there is no sense in waiting any longer. If you so wish it, Blessed Speaker, I can accompany you to help explain your holy quest to the Goblinsbane. I will also assign additional guards..."

Loria placed her hands on Hestia's shoulders, cutting her off as well as pulling her away, gently. Without realizing it, Hestia had encroached on Sabine's personal space, so the matron got her to back off. "Slow down, sister," Loria said. "You will not do any of these things. You and I both heard what Mother Mirea said: Sabine is not to bring anyone from the temple with her on her quest, except Kassus."

Hestia had a somewhat wild look in her eyes. "Matron, surely you see how unwise it is for the Speaker to go without additional protection? The Goblinsbane will be taking her directly into danger, which is why we must do everything we can to ensure her safety."

"You speak of wisdom, yet what you suggest is that we defy our Mother's instructions. Do you believe you know better than Her?" Although Loria said these words calmly, Hestia still visibly recoiled as though she were struck. She said nothing else, for now.

Loria turned to Sabine. "Go, Blessed Speaker, and find him. But please, return here before your quest takes you out of the city. Although we have been forbidden from sending others with you, we can still assist however we can. We will prepare items that will be useful on your journey. And when there are temple resources that you require, you need only ask, and if it is within my power I will provide them.

"Oh, and before I forget, I saved you something." The matron reached into her robe and withdrew an apple. It was plump and the skin was a most vibrant red. Sabine immediately recognized it as one of the fruits that fell from the sacred tree. "Please, eat. You must be famished."

Sister Sabine nodded in gratitude as she accepted the gift. "Thank you, Matron. Now that you mention it, I could use something to eat." The moment she sank her teeth into the apple, she was transported to a world of rich flavor and fond memories. She remembered her family. She remembered her mother and grandmother preparing her favorite meals as a child. She remembered Mirea's face in the tree. All of this was evoked by just one bite.

When Sabine's senses returned to her, she discovered she had eaten almost all of the apple. Her cheeks were wet, so she dried them with her sleeve. There was some flesh left on the core, which Sabine offered to her guard. "Kassus, have you tried one?"

"Yes, Sister. I cried, too." An embarrassed smile appeared on his face. He turned down her offer, so Sabine finished the blessed meal. The bit of weakness she felt faded away and was replaced by a surge of energy. She felt as though she could sprint across Sildare.

"Matron, do you have another apple?" Sabine asked.

"Yes, the few that remain are here." Loria picked up an apple from a plate on the nearby altar, then handed it over. "We gathered the rest and shared them with our brothers and sisters here, as well as our less fortunate brethren living on the streets."

"I still don't think that was appropriate, Matron," Hestia said a bit sourly. "As you know, the sacred apples are best enjoyed by those who are faithful to Mirea, or at least those who are pure of heart. The wicked will taste naught but dust. Donating them to the homeless seems like a waste, especially when you consider how we already feed them."

"Now, now, Hestia, treating others kindly is never a waste," Loria responded. "Yes, the apples will not be appreciated by some, but think of the recipients who are worthy. Would you deny them that joy when joy is in such short supply in their lives?

"And there will be more apples. Mirea will see to that."

Sabine tucked the apple into her voluminous robe. She then hugged the elder priestess. "I will return, Matron. Thank you." She then rushed out of the temple with Kassus right behind her. Matron Loria and Sister Hestia watched them go.

The priestess was in such a hurry to leave, she did not bother to change out of her vision ceremony robe. The long, green and yellow gown dragged along the dirty street as she walked. Rather than return to the temple to change, she hiked it up as best as she could and continued on her way.

"Do you know where you're going, Sister?" Kassus asked.

"Yes and no. I have to find the Buxom Wench in the Gold District. If you would, please, help me ask for directions." Although her instructions confused him, Kassus did as he was told and asked a stranger on the street where to find the Buxom Wench.

Finding the inn that Eredwal told her about proved to be easy. Most people in Vesper knew how to find the Gold District. Once they got there, Sabine and Kassus had no trouble finding someone who could direct them to the Wench.

Vesper's market district was relatively quiet by the time they got there. During the day, these thoroughfares would have been packed with people and wagons. Stalls selling all sorts of wares and freshly-made treats would have lined the streets, and the shops - which were literally built on top of each other in some parts - would have had folks walking in and out of their open doors. At this late hour, however, the stalls were gone and the shops were shut. Only the taverns and inns remained busy.

Despite the brisk walk from the Faith District to the Gold District, Sabine was not out of breath when she approached one of the city's busiest inns. She heard the revelry coming from within long before she spotted the sign that identified it as the Buxom Wench. Feeling her cheeks heat up because of the salacious image painted upon the sign, she stopped in front of the door, straightened out her robe, then dodged around an amorous couple as they stumbled out and she darted in.

The common area of the Buxom Wench was filled to capacity. Every seat at a table and every stool at the bar had a rump on it, and much of the floor space was occupied by customers who wouldn't let something as small as standing room only scare them away from the Wench's cheap beer and surprisingly good food. Between the music from the band playing on a tiny corner stage, the multiple boisterous conversations, the orders being yelled over heads, and all the laughter, Sabine wondered how anyone renting a room upstairs could possibly get any sleep.

The priestess stuck out like a lone flower among weeds here, but no one made any smart remarks at her or bothered her in any other way. The color of her robe and the apple tree on her amulet made it exceedingly obvious what she was, and no one - not even drunken revelers - would dare to insult a servant of the Goddess of Fertility. Not unless they had no plans to ever eat again or have children, that is. Some of the people even got out of her way when they noticed her, thus clearing a path that took her further into the building.

Because she was busy scanning the common area for Eredwal, Sabine didn't initially hear Kassus say something to her. It took him a couple of tries to get her attention.

"I found him, Sister. He's on the other side." Kassus pointed to the far side of the room. Nodding her thanks, Sabine made her way in that direction.

She found Eredwal sitting by the fireplace, an actual buxom wench on his lap and a crowd of people singing around him. He lead the group in a bawdy song that once again brought heat to the priestess's cheeks.

"Ohhh! And that's how Young Sally found what's 'tween Bifford's legs!" Dressed in simple, loose-fitting clothing instead of the armored coat she saw him in yesterday, the warrior sang loudly, energetically and out of tune.

The crowd didn't care about his pitch enough not to repeat the lyric. "Oh and that's how Young Sally found what's 'tween Bifford's legs!" Everyone, including Eredwal, laughed when the song was through. He slapped his mug against someone else's in a messy toast that sloshed the frothy liquid within, causing some of it to spill onto the sizable chest of the woman seated on his lap. She didn't appear to mind. In fact, she apparently enjoyed it, for she laughed, grabbed Eredwal's mohawk, and yanked his face down into her cleavage.

"Clean this mess up!" The wench laughed while rubbing Eredwal's face against her bosom, and he did not mind one bit. Despite the fact they were far from alone, Eredwal licked ale off her skin, then lifted his face so his mouth could meet hers in a sloppy, passionate kiss.

"Mirea, guide me through these challenging times," Sister Sabine muttered under her breath. Squeezing through the crowd, she got up next to Eredwal and tapped him on his shoulder while he did things with his tongue that were not appropriate in public. As far as the priestess was concerned, what he was doing wasn't really appropriate behind closed doors, either.

The warrior and the wench continued to make out, so Sabine tapped him on the shoulder again. It took a few tries, but she finally got him to drag his attention - and his mouth - away from his date. It took only a moment for Eredwal to recognize her.

"Hey, it's Shister Shabine!" His speech was slightly slurred, although his eyes did not appear to have any trouble focusing. "Those are some fancy threads you've got on! What's the occasion?

"And hey, Scowly Squarejaw ish here, too!" Eredwal snickered. Kassus, who was standing behind Sabine, wasn't amused.

"Can we talk somewhere quiet?" Sabine yelled over the crowd, which was starting another indecent song without Eredwal.

The woman on the warrior's lap answered first. "I'm sorry, Harvest Sister, you will not find any quiet place here in the inn. It is the end of the work week, which is when the Wench is at her busiest."

Sabine conducted a quick study of Eredwal's companion. Despite the noise, she could still detect the woman's accent, which made her sound like she was from Umperico far to the south. Her long brown hair, light brown eyes, and bronzed skin supported the priestess's guess.

There was an obvious intelligence in the woman's eyes. Sabine told herself not to dismiss her as a mere wench, because something about her suggested she was as dangerous as Eredwal in her own way.

The priestess's gaze returned to the warrior's face. "Can we talk in your room then?"

"Ho ho, no! You don't want to go there, Sister!" Eredwal laughed. "Marteena and I just got done celebrating my big pay day, so my room is one hell of a mess right now, if you catch my meaning." Eredwal and Marteena shared a laugh, then the exotic-looking woman nipped at the ear of the equally exotic man.

Kassus's patience had run out. "Listen here, you...!" Before he could say more, Sabine raised her hand, stopping him.

"Kassus, please go outside and find us someplace quiet. Eredwal and I will join you, shortly." Reluctantly, Kassus followed her order.

"What's this? I'm going outside?" Pausing to take a drink, Eredwal's eyes smiled above the lip of his mug. "And why should I give up my favorite chair, Sister?"