God's Angel Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gabe walked along the lawn and made his way to a cluster of his former co-workers. They all expressed sadness and shock at his leaving. Gabe told them that he had been offered a better job and that it was a time sensitive thing, so he had to act quickly. He lied and said, Ethan had been very understanding and things were left on good terms. Liz cornered him alone and gave him one of her motherly stares, trying to search out ulterior motives.

"Did I miss something?" Liz asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, did I miss something?" Liz's gaze spoke volumes and Gabe was pretty sure she had guessed most of it.

"No, Liz. You didn't miss anything."

"That boy doesn't know what he's doing. Never has. Ever since he was a little boy, he didn't know whether he was coming or going. Well, you take care where ever you go. God will watch over you." She hugged Gabe.

"The problem is getting him to leave me alone."

They sat together and watched as Barbara walked up the aisle in a mountain of white. Ethan watched his bride approach and for a second his eyes flickered to Gabe's. His face blanched a little till he looked back to Barbara. During the ceremony, the minister asked if anyone had an reason why the two should not be joined, let him speak now. Ethan's eyes closed and Gabe felt a malicious jolt of pleasure at his momentary discomfort and couldn't resist coughing. Ethan jumped slightly then relaxed as the minister moved on. Everyone clapped and cheered as the newly weds made their way down the aisle and to the clubhouse where the reception was to be held.

"That was evil." Liz said.

"What was?"

"You know what you did. You had that boy on pins and needles and when you coughed, I thought he was going to shit his tux right there." Gabe laughed.

"It was. I'm sorry. I'll go to confession or have a little discussion with God about it. I just don't know why I always have to be the nice guy. The one who understands and helps people through their hard times. I have hard times too. I need someone to be there for me. I need someone to want to be there for me."

"It'll happen. Trust me. I got a feeling about you. You've got a guardian angel or something."

"Liz, I didn't even know you were religious."

"You can be religious without shoving it down people's throats. Come on, let's go get liquored up before they start charging for it."

Gabe didn't get `liquored up' as Liz suggested and once he saw that Ethan was trying to find him, he let himself be found outside on the porch which was luckily enough empty.

"I didn't think you'd come." Ethan said.

"Yeah, well. You invited me. Probably wished you could have stopped the mail from coming, huh?"

"Yeah." Ethan admitted and smiled. "I did think about it a couple of times."

"`Neither snow, nor sleet, not gay dramas stays these couriers'." Gabe quoted. "So you did it."

"I did."

"Good."

"Good?"

"Yeah. What do you want a medal? You got a fucking ring, be happy." Gabe tried to say it without rancor and half succeeded.

"Gabe, I want to apologize-."

"Please don't." Gabe said, shaking his head. "It's better that we just let this end. I don't need or want apologies. They don't do me any good. So, let's just end it and be civil."

"Meaning we can be friends?"

"No. I don't think we can be friends. I thought I could, but I don't seem to have it in me. Maybe that's petty of me, but I don't care. You left me. It's my turn to leave you. Course, you don't give a shit so it doesn't hold quite the punch."

"That's not true, Gabe. I don't want you gone from my life. I need you as a friend."

"I would have been your best friend, Ethan. But you chose a different path. Now it's time to walk it and I don't want to be there when you do." Gabe stepped up and wrapped Ethan in his arms. "I wish the best for you, truly. The gift is a nice one, so don't worry when she opens it."

Gabe stepped back and wiped the tear from his eye.

"I love you, Ethan." Gabe smiled. "Pathetic, huh?"

Ethan tried to say something but Gabe interrupted.

"I have to leave. I gotta catch my train." Gabe walked away and didn't look back. If he had he would have been surprised to see God standing next to Ethan with a tray of canapes.

"Are you all right, Sir?" God asked.

"No." Ethan admitted, watching Gabe walk away. "I just lost a.... friend."

"Losing things can be difficult."

"What am I supposed to do now?" Ethan asked.

"The best you can." God answered.

12