Good Hearted Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Certainly Ethan. And let me tell you much we missed you while you were gone. It's such a delight to see you back with us. And also let me add what a great first impression you made on Mr. Reyes. He was delighted at how respectful and thoughtful you were with his son. He was also impressed by your easy conversation in Spanish."

"That's just it, Mrs. Altuvia. I didn't speak Spanish with him. I don't know how to speak Spanish. His English was very good, almost without a trace of accent."

"Ethan, you speak wonderful Spanish. I am quite impressed. You have all the proper tenses and forms and the correct inflections," she complimented.

"I am confused," Ethan admitted. "I've never spoken Spanish."

Mrs. Altuvia laughed. "Stop being so modest Ethan. What do you think you are speaking right now?"

"English, of course," he replied confused.

"Oh don't be silly, Ethan. We've only been speaking Spanish since you walked in." Mrs. Altuvia gave him a look like she was being made fool of and didn't like it.

"Mrs. Altuvia, do you think it's possible to go into a coma and come out with the ability to speak another language without having to learn it first? And to not know you are speaking it when you do?"

"I suppose anything is possible," she admitted. "Do you really not know you are speaking Spanish right now?" Ethan shook his head no and shrugged his shoulders. He was beginning to panic. Something strange was happening and he didn't know what to make of it.

"Wait here Ethan, let me get Mrs. Walters. I want to do an experiment." She left the office area briefly and came back in with the circulation librarian.

"Ethan doesn't believe he can speak Spanish. Can you reassure him that he can?" Mrs. Altuvia turned her attention back to Ethan. "Ethan, would you please read from this newspaper for me." She handed him La Prensa, the Mexico City daily paper. He started reading from the first column. "That will be enough. Now would you read from this paper." She handed him that day's edition of the New York Times. Ethan read a few paragraphs before glancing up. The two librarians were standing shoulder to shoulder and both had their mouths wide open.

"Ethan, when did you learn to read so well in Spanish?" asked Mrs. Walters. Ethan's brows knitted together with concern.

"What do you mean?"

She pointed at the Mexican paper. "It's in Spanish, Ethan."

Ethan rubbed his eyes and looked again. Then the letters began to swim on the page and rearranged themselves into a foreign language. But Ethan could still read them as if they were English.

"I don't understand this. I've never read in Spanish before." His voice was rising. This was too strange for him and he began to feel a little more panicked.

"Ethan, relax. I am sure there's a logical explanation for this. Perhaps your injuries unlocked some hidden ability with languages that was already there and you didn't realize," reassured Mrs. Walters.

"Do you really think so?" asked Ethan, eager to find a logical explanation other than he was going crazy.

"Of course, that must be it. Why don't you go home now and I will do a little research and see what the medical journals have to say about uncovering spontaneous abilities." She patted his shoulder to reassure him. He made his way to the door and out into the chilly night, though now the cold didn't bother him in the least. He found it refreshing and invigorating.

As he passed the stoop of Becky's building he thought about ringing her up. But Ethan was torn. If he was to have a real chance of dating Alexa, he would have to commit to a monogamous relationship, even if they weren't officially dating yet. Still, Ethan has promised to stop by that evening and didn't want her waiting in her apartment for him to stop by and think he had stood her up. He knew he should be straightforward with her. The more he thought about Becky, the more he wished her nothing but the best. He wanted her to find a man worthy of her. Someone that would kiss her in the manner she desired. He wished her a large, healthy, and happy family, full of love and laughter. Ethan climbed the stoop and pressed the button.

"Yes? Who is it?"

"It's Ethan. Is it okay if I come up?"

"Of course!" she replied as the door buzzed.

When he was behind the door of her apartment, Ethan was careful to keep his distance.

"Becky, you are very attractive and very sexy, but I need to tell you something," he started before unburdening his story to her. He spoke at length about Alexa Wilson and how much she made his heart sing, and that Becky had unlocked a level of confidence that he never accessed before. When he finally finished, Becky gathered him in with a fierce hug.

"That's OK Ethan. I understand. She's a very lucky young lady. If you kiss her like you kissed me, she will be yours forever," she said with feeling. "My only regret is that I didn't get to be your first in other things as well." She squeezed his cock to imply her ultimate desire. "If you ever change your mind, my door is always open to you."

After brief good-byes and a chaste kiss on the cheek, Ethan found himself back on the street, oblivious to the chill wind. When he again approached the alley where the old man was beaten, he found it occupied once again. This time there were six young gang-bangers, and when they spied Ethan they jumped from the shadows to block his path.

"So you're the snitch who sent our brothers to jail, aren't you?" sneered one greasy-faced boy.

"If by your brothers you mean those three bullies who beat an old man nearly to death and put me in a coma for half a week, then yes I am the one who told the police who they are. But what they chose to do sent them to jail." Ethan didn't know what to do. Each of them were bigger and stronger than him. He was stalling, trying to figure out way to stay out of the hospital or worse. Ethan knew that each gang member had fought several times in order to be in the gang. Ethan wished he knew how to fight, just to protect himself. "I suppose you six are here to finish the job they started, aren't you?"

"You've got it. When you are dead, you won't be able to testify at their trial and they will be back on the street where they belong," was the menacing reply. Ethan couldn't think of a response. He was frozen with fear.

"Not so fast, you worthless punk," said a creaking voice from deep in the alley. All heads turned as the old man Ethan had tried to save before shuffled out of the shadows. "If you all leave right now, I'll convince Ethan to show you mercy. If you are as stupid as you look, I'll be glad to give evidence to the police that Ethan acted in self-defense when he beats each of you to within an inch of your pitiful lives."

They all laughed. "HIM? He's so scrawny he wouldn't last three minutes against my kid sister, let alone any one of us."

"That sounds like a challenge, big man," said the old man, stepping up to face the gang leader. "If Ethan only nearly kills you, will that be enough to convince the you and the rest of your friends to leave him alone now and forever?"

"Sure, you old bastard. I'll take him on. After I break his skinny neck with my bare hands, these boys are going to do the same to you," greasy face boasted.

"There is only one rule to this fight," warned the old man. "Whatever you say you are going to do to Ethan, he will visit that pain on you. Be careful what you say. And for the rest of you, if you want to live to have a chance to change your miserable lives, you'd better watch what happens carefully."

The old man walked over to Ethan and grabbed him by the right wrist. He leaned and whispered to Ethan, "Who you are, you have always been. Who you will be, you will always become. You do not seek to kill or maim, you do not boast or gloat or revel in the pain of others. But pain is the only lesson that some men learn. When you meet one of these men, you must be the teacher. Whatever he threatens to do to you, you will do to him. Do you understand?"

Ethan nodded, feeling something strange happening in his body. His birthmark began to burn, as if a current was entering his body through his wrist.

"I am going to break both of your arms and both of your legs, then I am going to..." Snarled grease-face.

"ENOUGH!" screamed Ethan. "Don't say another word. I don't want to kill you." His voice shook and rumbled like thunder. His body trembled, not in fear. Ethan could feel a summoning. It was a power so great that he knew with certainty that greasy-face would soon be on the ground screaming in agony.

The fight, if you could call it a fight, lasted only seconds. The big gang leader attacked and Ethan slipped under his punch. While ducking, he rotated to the right and broke his left arm. Before the bully realized it, Ethan spun back to the left and shot his fist out into the right arm of his attacker. It too shattered. With a kick like a mule Ethan broke the right femur and spun a hammer fist into the left, shattering that leg as well. The screams of pain caused lights on both sides of the alley to come on as people came to their windows to see what was taking place.

"Now do the five of you need further demonstration? Or do you foreswear vengeance against Ethan now and always? And by so swearing, accept the punishment for breaking your vows?" asked the old man.

"What's the punishment?" asked one of the braver remaining thugs.

"Death, of course. The only punishment for breaking a vow such is this is that you forfeit your life. You can see Ethan is capable of rendering the strongest of you helpless. Do you think he could not kill with a single blow? Now go and get an ambulance. Get your friend to the hospital. He will be needing your help wiping his ass for the next six weeks. Come Ethan." The old man turned, unconcerned by the writhing bully screaming for his mother in the alley.

When Ethan and the old man left the alley far enough behind, Ethan spoke.

"Mr. -- I'm afraid I don't know your name. My name is Ethan Rome, and I am sure glad you are okay. I thought those boys beat you to death in that alley the other night."

"You can call me Zefs. My old friends do. Or they used to before they all died. It's just me left. And you don't have to worry about me in any fight. I may be old and tired beyond the years, but I do not lose in any fight. Just as you won't ever lose a fight, judging by your performance tonight. The secret is to only fight as a last resort and to win at all costs when you have to fight."

"Zefs? What kind of name is that?"

"Old Greek name. It's been in my family for thousands of years. My parents thought it was an honor. Sometimes it's a burden."

Ethan nodded in understanding because he thought he should. "How is it you know me? You called me by name, but I don't ever remember meeting you before."

"I am an old friend of your father. I vowed to look after you until you came of age and came into your inheritance."

"Inheritance? Like rich?"

Zefs chuckled. He pointed at the birthmark. "Your inheritance. The gift your father left you."

"This mark? I never even saw it before, not until the night in the alley when I thought you were going to be killed."

"That mark. The mark that revealed itself when you began to show who you are."

"Who I am? What are you talking about?"

"You gave no thought to your own peril when you tried to intervene on behalf of someone in grave danger. You showed bravery and self-sacrifice. Only a young man destined for wonderful things shows that kind of natural promise. That and your lifetime of being a good boy, kind and considerate."

"You aren't making any sense. But honestly, not much has made sense since that night we first met."

"It will all make sense in due time. It's late. You need to get some rest. Tomorrow is a big day for you. A big day to be sure. I'll be seeing you later Ethan. Good night!"

Before Ethan could ask another question, the old man had vanished into the darkness down the street. He let himself into the building and then into his apartment. Ethan spent the next three hours catching up on some of his missed assignments. When he tired and reached a stopping point, he headed to bed.

Laying on his bed he let his mind travel back over the last few weeks and the sudden changes that were coming at him. When he got to the fight, he rose from bed and went into the bathroom to study himself in the mirror. He was curious to understand how he beat that gang leader without getting so much as a scratch. Without his shirt, Ethan looked like the same slight young man he was just weeks before. He studied his hands, the ones that had broken bones an hour before. They looked unremarkable to him. Except for his birthmark. His birthmark appeared to be darker, a deeper red. As he examined it, he traced it with his finger. Ethan could swear he saw it outlined by glowing light, but the outline disappeared as quickly as it started. He grinned at his reception. "BOO!" he shouted, feeling sheepish about thinking he was undergoing some sort of physical change.

Ethan crawled back into bed and pulled the covers over his head. In moments he was deep in slumber, having the most vivid dreams about good fighting evil and right defending against wrong. He was a mythical warrior summoned by the gods, then he was a valiant knight fighting for his queen, and then he was a benevolent teacher, raising a group of children in the old ways. Ethan didn't know what the old ways were, but he felt confident he could teach them.

When the morning came, Ethan felt a strange warmth in his groin. He slipped his hand inside his briefs to find his morning erection rigid. His cock felt strange to him, much larger than before, but the effect didn't last. By the time he rose from bed it was its usual size and shape. He took a shower, dressed for school and then checked on his mother as he was leaving. Instead of being snug, she was completely uncovered. She wore a light nightgown that was hiked above her waist. Even though she was forty and lived a hard life, Sylvia Rome was an attractive woman. Ethan pulled down her nightgown for modesty, and then arranged the covers over her. He could tell she was hot. Ethan sat on the edge of the bed and placed his hand on her forehead. She was burning up. Ethan wished he knew what to do to make her feel better. He went to the bathroom and got a cool water wash cloth and a glass of water and two aspirin. He began to wipe her forehead, waking her.

"Ethan, what time is it?"

"7:30. You are burning up. Take these. Drink this." He handed her the aspirin and the water.

"I'll be ok Ethan. I just need some sleep. I haven't had much lately. My body is run down. Thank you for checking on me." She patted his arm to reassure him. "Now you'd better get to school before you catch what I've got." She gave him a weak smile and settled back under her covers. Ethan leaned in and kissed her forehead. Already she felt cooler. He left their apartment and started for the school.

Ethan could see Alexa waiting for him by the entrance to the school. The cliques of students around the commons openly stared at Ethan. Word had gotten around quickly that he had broken both arms and both legs of the leader of the most dangerous gang in the neighborhood. Classmates were looking at him oddly and giving him a wide berth. Two of the gang members from the night before were loitering under a nearby tree. When they spotted Ethan, one took off and the remained where he was to keep an eye on Ethan. Alexa approached him, oblivious to the stares of others.

"Good morning Ethan," she said with a smile. "You sure look handsome today." Ethan blushed and turned away to keep her from noticing.

"You look very pretty today too, Alexa. You look pretty every day. And when you smile at me, it's like Heaven is opening up and joy itself shines on me." Now it was Alexa's turn to blush.

"Ethan! Don't tease," she tried to play off his comment.

"I'm not teasing. And I've changed my mind. I am coming to your house tonight to convince your father to let you go on a date with me."

Her face changed, a look of panic replaced her happy countenance. "Oh Ethan, please don't! If he says no, then I won't be able to see you anymore. I couldn't take that. Just wait, the time will be right, I promise," she pleaded.

"Don't worry Alexa. I have a strong feeling everything will work out," he said confidently. His confidence was contagious enough to bolster Alexa's spirits and return most of her smiling outlook.

"Well, since you seem so sure, I guess it will be ok. But what about your job hunt?"

"Oh I am done looking for a job. Meet the newest tutor at the main library downtown. Ethan Rome, at your service," he said with a flourish. He went on to describe his first tutoring session, leaving out the ability to speak new languages. She listened with pride in her eyes.

"When do you get paid?" she asked.

"I'm not sure. I kind of forgot to ask. Why?"

"I want to know when our first date will be," she teased.

The bell rang. She slipped her arm in his and they both joined the crowds shuffling in. Flanking the door was a crowd of gang members, including the five from the night before. Ethan moved in front of Alexa, hoping to protect her. One of the boys from the alley stepped forward.

"Ethan, can we speak to you?" he looked directly at Alexa. "Privately."

Ethan looked him in the eyes and couldn't detect any malice.

"Sure. I have sixth period free. Meet me back here. Are all of you coming?" They nodded. "I'll see you then I guess." He continued to walk to the door and one of the gang members opened the door for Ethan and Alexa. Something strange was happening, but Ethan didn't care. He had school to focus on a strategy to figure out. He had to think of some way to convince Alexa's father that his little girl would be safe with him.

When the bell announcing sixth period sounded, Ethan walked out onto the common patio. The gang was there. All except their leader.

"What's your name?" asked Ethan of the boy who had asked for the meeting.

"They call me Ant," he replied.

"Ant? Why? It's not because you are small," laughed Ethan.

"No, it's because I am freakishly strong." As a demonstration of his strength, he walked over and picked up a cement bench and raised it to waist high. It had to weigh four hundred pounds. Ant was freakishly strong.

"Can any of you others do that?" Ethan asked the gathered gang. They all laughed and shook their heads no.

"Maybe two of us together could," someone shouted.

"Can you?" asked Ant. It wasn't a challenge really. Ant was looking for confirmation of what he was thought about Ethan.

"I don't know. I've never tried. Do you want me to?" he asked. Ant nodded.

Ethan grabbed one end of the bench, intent on testing it to see if he could even budge it. To his surprise he lifted the end easily. Now it rested on its end and one side of the pedestal legs. He walked around to the other side and gripped it with both hands and hoisted it up in the air until it was above his head. He could hear gasps of amazement from the gang.

Ethan slowly set it back down on the end and left it there. It took three of the gang members to return it safely to the ground.

Ant spoke to his cohorts. "Do you see what I mean? He's twice as strong as I am. HE should be our new leader." He turned to Ethan. "What do you say? Do you want to lead our gang?"

"No! Of course not. First you beat me near death, then your old boss tries to kill me, and now you want me to be your leader? Your friend?" Ethan couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the situation.

"We aren't all like Bull. We've never really had a chance to choose our own leadership."

Ethan could feel the desperation for leadership and direction that these lost young men felt. But Ethan was always a loner, he had no idea how to lead a group of peers.