Goodbye Girl

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She laughed, "Well you won't find it locally. Are you up for a trip to Eau Claire? The guy I bought my steel from is reasonably priced and he delivers within seventy-five miles for fifty bucks. We're just inside that radius. I need to pick up some staples and do a little shopping anyway. We could go on Friday if you're up to it."

I started thinking out loud before realizing I was mumbling to myself.

"Sorry Claire. I kinda got lost in my head for a minute. You know, I need to build new machine shed doors, if I can round up a car hauler or similar I could get that stuff at the same time. Is the Menards still open?"

She laughed out loud, "Are they still open. Heck, there are two in Eau Claire alone and dozens throughout the upper Midwest all the way down to Kentucky. I have a car hauler I held back from the auction. The lights don't work but maybe we can fix them before Friday."

I sighed, "Yeah, that sounds possible. Why don't I come over now to take a look at them. And.... what are you doing for lunch? We could go to the Krystal and then the co-op to get whatever we need for the trailer. Whata ya say goodbye girl?"

She was laughing, "You still know how to turn on the charm Georgie boy. Lunch sounds wonderful, head on over, I'll pull the trailer out of the shed."

The trailer showed a fair amount of wear and tear but nothing structural. All the trailing lights were broken or missing along with most of the clearance lights. Of the few that still existed none had light bulbs, I made a decision to scrap the existing and replace everything with new LED's. When I crawled beneath the trailer I made another executive decision, the wiring was also in need of replacement. The boards making up the trailer bed were in surprisingly good shape so in my opinion new lights and repacking the bearings would have it ready for a trip to the city.

Lunch was yummy. I ordered the usual for me, roast beef over bread with gravy and French fries. She had some sort of salad concoction. As we walked into the local co-op Claire slowed and then stiffened as she walked with me. While rummaging through the shelves finding what I needed I noticed she was moving closer and closer to my body. I stopped and looked in her eyes.

"Are you okay Claire? You seem frightened."

She gently but firmly took hold of my arm, "I am. Do you remember Taylor Scholz?" I nodded. "We were in the same year, he was constantly trying to get me to go on a date, but he had a reputation. I always turned him down, now that I'm back he thinks I should be his piece of tail on the side. He won't leave me alone, even showed up at the farm one night half in the bag. I threatened to call the cops and he left, but anytime I come to the co-op he harasses me."

I glanced his way and sure enough, he was staring at us. "Well, does he work here?"

She nodded, "He's the general manager."

"You said his piece on the side. What exactly does that mean beyond the obvious?"

She looked down and then into my eyes, "He's married with four kids and three grandkids. He disgusts me, as if I'm going to help him cheat on one of my friends from high school. I just wish he would go away."

I looked at Taylor, a smirk crossed his scruffy looking face. I raised my right hand, pointed the index finger at him and dropped my thumb like the hammer of a pistol. He quickly spun and headed for another part of the store. With everything I needed in a cart we made our way to the checkout. Only one of the two was open so we stepped in line behind two others. Suddenly Scholz appeared and opened the second register announcing loudly enough for all to hear.

"I can take care of you here Casey."

I decided to up the game, turning to him I answered with the same amount of volume, "No thanks, these folks are ahead of us."

He gave me one of those squinty eye dirty looks as the pair in front of us rushed to his register. Though there were still people in line he shut down the register and walked over to us. I had just finished bagging everything when he stepped in front of me. That smarmy look was back on his face.

"Big man back from the Army huh?"

I moved to step around when he blocked my path again. I'd had enough, setting the bags in a cart I looked in his eyes.

"You don't wanna do this bucko. Yeah, I'm back from the Army and I still remember at least six different ways to kill you where you stand. You can step aside or spend time in the hospital, your choice dickhead. Oh, and stop bothering Claire or you'll answer to me."

Stepping back he glared at us as we exited the store. Claire was still visibly shaken.

"What if he shows up at the farm again? He's big enough that he scares the crap out of me."

After loading the stuff in my pickup I turned and took her hand. "If he so much as drives down the valley road I'll put his flabby ass in the hospital, and he'll never see who did it. He's history, you can go about your life without fear."

As we worked on the trailer I was pleasantly surprised that she knew her way around tools, both hand and power. It was just after 4 when we finished replacing the lights and wiring, the moment of truth was upon us. I backed up, plugged in the harness and turned on the truck lights. I heard a loud "woohoo" from Claire and stepped out. All the clearance lights and traillights were illuminated, only one thing left to do, touch the brakes and make sure the directionals were correct. With everything working properly she held up her hand for a high five.

"Good job George. I'm ready for a beer. Wanna join me?"

We were into a second beer when I spoke, "You don't have to go with me to the city if you have something else to do."

She chuckled, "You seem to forget, I need to stop at Sam's to pick up some staples and I wanna stop by the mall. I need new underwear. Stop looking at me with your raised eyebrows, you aren't going to see them. Besides, you'll get lost without someone to show you around."

I gave her a goofy look, "What? No way, I still remember where things are."

She slugged my arm, "No, you may remember where they were. The entire city has changed since you were there last. There's a hwy 53 bypass, a hwy 29 bypass, 93 now connects with the 53 bypass, Moreland Ave is all 4 lane now, and if that isn't enough there's an east-west 4 lane hwy called 312. The original Menards is now a distribution center, they have two stores in the city. No, you're gonna need my help."

It was getting close to supper time and I needed to leave. I told her I would be at the farm by 7 Friday morning to hook up the trailer and take her to breakfast. I also told her I was taking her to lunch on Friday, she should start thinking about where she'd like to go. The next day I was in the milkhouse tearing out the wall to make it one large space when the door opened. Standing in the doorway was Claire with a carpenter's belt full of hand tools hanging off her shoulder. I smiled and waved her in. Five minutes later she knew what my vision was and got to work. We had the room cleared and the scrap piled where the old chicken coop was going to be burned after I tore it down.

I had one of those dorm room size fridges in the milkhouse loaded with water and beer. Sitting on 5 gallon buckets turned upside down we finished the day with a beer and a promise to see her in the morning. It was mid-afternoon when I walked to the house. I figured gran would be taking a nap, surprise, surprise, the aroma of fresh baked bread greeted my senses as I walked into the mud room. In the kitchen I spied the treat, two loaves of bread on cooling racks, still warm.

Gran walked in from the sitting room, "They're still warm, be mighty tasty with lots of butter. They'll still be soft, let me cut you a slice."

I held up 2 fingers, she grinned and grabbed the bread knife. It had been ages since I'd enjoyed fresh bread, I chose to toast them. If you've never had fresh bread toasted and slathered with butter, you haven't lived. I was nearly finished with the second slice when I noticed she'd taken another slice from the toaster and was applying ample amounts of homemade strawberry jam. Yeah, a late afternoon jog was going to be necessary. Grannie opened up a topic at supper I hadn't given much thought.

"How you and Claire getting along? Seems to me you spend lots of time together. I heard you put the Scholz boy in his place yesterday, be careful with him Georgie. He's a sneaky bastard, I know you can probly whoop him, but he'll try and find other ways to mess with you."

I patted her hand softly, "It'll be okay gran, I've dealt with hindends like him most of my life. He has nothing I want or need, he may have friends in high places, but I've dealt with people like that as well. Thanks for the heads up though, can't be too careful these days."

I thought the conversation was over, "Well, what about you and the Bachmann girl? You guys get along well, you should ask her out.'

"She isn't gonna want to go out with me gran. We're just friends from long ago."

Grannie laughed, "Not according to Paulie. She says Claire talks about you a lot and that there's some kind of history between you two. What's that about?"

I grinned and lied, "Hmm, not sure gran. I'll ask Paulie what she means the next time I see her."

Standing in the shower I wondered how Paulie knew about Claire and me all those years ago. It was also the first time I'd masturbated since returning home, to images of a young Claire riding me with her head tilted back, her chest pushed outward into my hands, her clit rocking over my pelvic bone. I remembered how dark her bush looked with so little moonlight. Her soft moan filling the still night air as she came. I smiled as a stream of semen shot into the warm spray while wondering if her bush now resembled the hair on her head. Brown with a bit of greying.

I was up at six, made some of those quick Pillsbury cinnamon rolls so gran would have something sweet to munch on with her coffee. She wouldn't be up for some time, but I knew she would appreciate the effort. I noticed that she ate more sweets than I remembered in the past, when I mentioned something about it, her comment made me smile.

"What's it gonna do, kill me? I'm 96, I'll what whatever I want to eat. Before you started living here sometimes all I would eat was ice cream and cookies. Didn't seem to hurt me none."

As I pulled into Claire's I noticed she had the trailer hooked up to her F-250. I parked and walked to the truck where she was standing with a cup of coffee in one of those to go cups.

"Morning. I thought we were taking my truck." I commented.

"Yeah. After you left I got to thinking how heavy that load will be by the time we get all that lumber. My truck is set up for the electric brakes on the trailer, I figured it would be better to take mine. You can ride or you can drive. Makes no difference to me."

I chuckled, "I'll make a deal with you. You drive there and I'll drive back."

"Sounds good, let's go I'm hungry. I've got breakfast, the rest of our meals are comin out of your pocket."

Breakfast was filling and delicious. We exited with a cup of coffee to go and headed toward the city. Her truck was only three years old and had all the amenities, I found it quite comfy. As we drove we talked. It was the first time we had actually spoken about our past lives. You could feel the tension in the air as we both wanted to ask personal questions but neither wanted to take the first step. We'd been jabber jawing about nothing for a solid twenty minutes when she opened pandora's box.

"Tell me about your love life. Ever married? Kids? Grandkids?"

"Nope, never married. Almost was once, turns out she liked a different guy more than she liked me. Which would have been easier to accept if I hadn't found them rutting in my bed. Right after that I headed to the sandbox for the first time. Not knowing if I was going to return I let all that stuff go for a while."

She looked at me funny, "Sandbox? Do you mean the middle east?"

"Yeah, Afghanistan."

"Shitty business wasn't it." I nodded. "After that did you date again?"

"I did off and on. My last long-term relationship was with a, E-6 who worked in the base commanders office. She was a hell cat, nearly wore me out. That was a few years ago, it's been dry bones since. And you? Same questions."

Grinning she answered, "Never married, no kids. Only family I have left is my brother Rhinehart. As for lovers? There were a few along the way. After menopause I lost all interest in anything having to do with sex for about two years. The year before I left I was bedding a guy from France but he became possessive, I dropped his ass before it got out of hand."

It was quiet for a while until she asked, "Do you think you'll ever be involved again? Or are you finished with romance?"

I shook my head enthusiastically, "Dear God I hope not. I'm only 51, gonna be 52 in a few months. I don't want to live out the rest of my days alone. Nah, there will be somebody, just not sure who. What about you, are you done with romance?"

She was silent for a few miles, "I thought I was after I ended it with Frenchie, but after being home my attitude has changed. I'm like you, I don't want to die alone."

We had reached the outskirts of the city and I couldn't believe my eyes. All the land that had once been farm fields was now homes and businesses. After we crossed the interstate she turned left at the intersection. I had no idea where we were or where we were going until she pulled into a crowded parking lot. The sign on the front of the building said, Great American Harvest. Tapping my arm with the back of her hand she said.

"You're gonna love this place. It's pricey but the breads and cookies are out of this world."

She wasn't wrong, the aroma as we walked through the door was amazing. We were early enough that the bread was still warm, they left the bags open so the bread could breath as it continued cooling. The bread we'd purchased was sitting on the back seat and we were devouring the cookies in the front. I was so glad she had offered to come along, she was right, I'd have been completely lost. As we travelled west on Moreland I recognized the UW campus but not much else. Everything was so different. In the area reserved for truck/trailer parking at Menards we sat a minute while she called the steel guy.

The Menards I was looking at now was not the one I'd seen thirty years ago. With a late morning appointment set up to see the steel guy we proceeded with my shopping list. After dumping a wad of cash we moved into the loading yard behind the store. I was pleased that there were guys in the yard to help us load. Claire had been right about the load, her truck grunted slightly as we pulled out of the parking lot. There was no lack of power, but you definitely knew there was a lot of weight behind us.

I was surprised at how young the steel guy turned out to be. I was expecting someone in the late forties or early fifties, not 34. He had taken over the business after his dad died. Once all the details were worked out I gave him a check for 3/4 down and the balance upon delivery. It was time for lunch. Claire drove us to the mall, somewhere I had never been to before. At the far end was a place called Grizzly's Wood-Fired Grill. Best damned prime rib sandwich I'd ever eaten.

We left the truck parked where it was and walked the short distance to the mall. I wanted to find a shoe store, she told me she could use some 2 buckle chore rubbers as well and tagged along. As we walked down the corridor with bags in hand she stopped and pointed toward some benches. Sitting next to me she patted my knee.

"You wait here. I need to go into Victoria's for underwear. Wipe the grin off your face, I don't need any help."

Looking at all the transparent slinky stuff on mannequins in the front window I wondered if she was buying any of that. Surely women didn't wear that sexy attire all day, at least not in a farm setting. I made up my mind, I was gonna ask after we got on the road. Thirty minutes later she walked out carrying two bags. As I stood she grinned.

"You being all man I suppose you're wondering what I bought. I can assure you it wasn't that stuff in the window I saw you staring at. They sell regular underwear as well, it's sturdy and fits me well. I usually order online but since we were going to be here, might as well take advantage. I'm ready for some dessert, let's get a frozen yogurt."

We were almost back to truck after our yogurt fix when she handed me the keys. "You drive, I'll help you get out of the city. It's my turn to look around."

Conversation on the way home was mostly, hey do you remember this place or that place. Casual everyday conversation. Although by the time we had gotten back to my place we seemed to be more at ease with each other than prior. I backed the trailer into the empty hay mow, unhooked the trailer and walked to the house where Claire was visiting with grannie. I was quiet as I walked into the mud room and overheard their conversation.

Grannie was talking, "He's a good man Claire. I know he's lonesome, you should grab him before some floozy does."

"You're right Harriet, he is a good man. I'm not so sure he would be interested in me though. I'm older and pretty independent, I can be a handful when I get stubborn."

Grannie laughed, "Won't faze him a bit, he's worked with hardheaded people all his life. Just don't shut him out, I think he sorta likes you. There's a sure fire way to win him Claire, work with him, side by side. He loves working with his hands, if that's something you can handle, I'd encourage doing it."

I made noise so they would know I was on the way in. Claire cheeks were slightly flared, gran was all smiles. Gran asked her to stay for supper, it wouldn't be more than bacon and pancakes, but she was welcome.

Claire chuckled, "If I don't have to eat on my own I'm all for it."

"I'm gonna walk down and get my truck while you guys take care of supper." I announced.

After we'd eaten I walked Claire to her truck, with the truck running and her window open she spoke.

"I'd invite you over to watch some tv or something but I'm beat. My day has been long enough, I'll be in bed by nine. Will you start on the doors tomorrow?"

I nodded, "Yup, planning to. Not sure how far I'll get, but I want to get started."

"Would you like some help? I have my own tools and know how to use them."

I smiled, "Only if you'll stay for lunch and let me take you to supper. I haven't been to the Northwoods Steakhouse in years."

She patted my hand, "Deal. See you around eight."

I watched the taillights slowly fade thinking about what she and gran had said. Maybe it was time for me to begin opening a few doors I'd had closed for a long time. I could see myself being with Claire long term, only this time she wouldn't be my goodbye girl. The previous week I'd had new tires put on the M, replaced the plugs and rotted muffler, cleared the gas line, added fresh fuel and had it running. I was pulling the M out of the machine shed when Claire pulled in. She helped me get the manure bucket back on and we were ready to roll. Using the bucket to lift from the inside the doors came off the rail in no time.

I dug out a circular saw to start cutting lumber when Claire took my arm leading me to the back of her truck. On the bed was a Ridgid 12" sliding miter saw and a portable stand. I gazed at her with one of my "what's this all about" looks when she grinned.

"It was in the tool shed when I bought the place. I kept it figuring I would use it at some point. These suckers are over 500 bucks now."

I frowned, "Did you lift that on there by yourself? Not smart."

She thumped my chest, "I'm stronger than you think wise ass. Let's get this thing set up and the doors laid out. I brought my cordless impact along in case we need it."