Grand Panorama

Story Info
Her first sunrise from a mountaintop.
769 words
4.48
18k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
WFEATHER
WFEATHER
1,906 Followers

To stand at the top of a mountain and look out across the vast plain is a moment one never forgets. As far as the eye can see, the beauty of Nature is presented in an uncompromised display, the glorious sunrise beyond the distant mountain range adding yet another level to the grand panorama.

To share such a spectacle with a much-trusted, much-loved person makes the view even more special.

That is why I had brought her here.

That is why we had flown across the country, then rented a car, stopped at a camping store I had frequented in years past, and drove to the base of this mountain, only to hike halfway up its impressive stature before making camp for the night.

That is why I had subjected her to the cool nighttime mountain air, the not-nearly-as-good-as-home beef stew prepared upon a small backpacking stove, the need to purify the water procured from a small mountain stream, the need to raise a bear bag before retiring for the night.

That is why I had subjected her to sleeping on the winter-hardened ground, with only a large green canvas as a roof and a sleeping bag as a substitute for a warm cushiony bed and my bony shoulder as a pillow. That is why, as I held her close in those final minutes before sleep befell us, I had once again endured her honest whining, her complaints about her discomfort and the lack of "required" amenities that characterized and enhanced so much of our lives.

That is why, when the alarm on my watch sounded, I had roused her from her fitful slumber and purposely unzipped the sleeping bag and parted the confining material to admit the chilly mountain air to brutally force her to awaken... and why I had scurried away from her extended claws as quickly as possible, to avoid the worst of her insolent reaction.

That is why, as the first light of day finally graced the cloudless, star-filled sky above us, high above the thin canopy of leaves, I had knelt before the backpacking stove once more, preparing coffee to accompany our breakfast of Pop Tarts, and why I had raised the bear bag once more before seizing her hand and practically pulling her along behind me as I began the final climb toward the summit of this land.

And that is why, when we had finally broken through the tree line and climbed those final two hundred yards to the very peak of the mountain, the expression upon her face was one of triumph – of physical, mental, and spiritual triumph.

And then, I had simply pointed toward the east, toward the distant mountain range, the very same range I had seen daily as a young child. Already, the upper-left curvature of the sun had sneaked past the jagged outline of a distant mountain peak, and together, we watched in awe, inhaling the altitude-chilled mountain air, drinking in the rising amount of solar energy.

I held her to me. I held her tightly, my chin resting atop her sun-colored strands. I could feel her discomfort, her complaints, her sullenness dissipating like a thin fog penetrated by unfettered sunlight. Her joy at witnessing this spectacle of Nature was almost tangible, and viewing this uncompromised display through her eyes, viewing this uncompromised display for the first time in well over a decade, caused my mind to fill with memories... memories of those who had shared this view with me previously, memories of the quiet internal reflections while sitting and admiring the grand panorama before me.

...and I was creating a new memory – not just for me, but for her. For the first time in her life, she was truly seeing the world as I had learned to see it in my youth. I could sense her eyes tracking back and forth, slowly, over the grand panorama, her mind permanently embedding this glorious sunrise, this inspiring vision, in her memory. I could feel her heart beating more strongly in her chest, her lungs filling with inspiration.

And when she finally lifted her lips to mine, we shared a kiss which proclaimed a much deeper, more intense respect than what we had already long held and cherished for each other. She respected me more for having introduced her to this grand panorama, this pristine vision, but I respected her far more for having found the courage within herself to venture so far out of her natural element to witness Nature as something more than what is in a park nestled within a major world-renowned city.

WFEATHER
WFEATHER
1,906 Followers