Hampered in His Plans Ch. 01

Story Info
New Year, new problems for the Team.
11.2k words
4.8
14.4k
5

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/02/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

*****

Part 1 - Prologue

"So, my lovely Sinon," he said, as he handed her a glass of sherry, "our friend Bryce went afoul of the Law. He is no longer an asset to us."

"That is correct." said the lovely Sinon, accepting the glass and clinking hers with his. She took a sip, then said "In his defense, he was trying to kill a filthy dog. A couple of the Iron Crowbar's Angels got in the way."

"Yes, I applaud his effort to improve this good world by eliminating filthy dogs." he said. "So, what happened to that foul creature?"

"The Iron Crowbar himself is taking care of the dog now." said Sinon. "Which makes the dog untouchable."

"Oh?" he asked. "Why do you say that?"

The lovely Sinon fixed her eyes upon him. "You did hear about what was done to Bryan Thatcher at the Asylum? And that was for a Police dog. I want no part of what the Iron Crowbar would do to anyone who went after his own dogs."

"I happen to agree with you. For now, anyway." he said in agreement. "So, McCombs and Hendricks have proved utterly worthless to us, I perceive."

"They never were of much value." said Sinon. "Bryce achieved some things, but the Iron Crowbar is all over all three of them like white on rice, and has been for a while. Fortunately, this distracts from our real assets in the Police Force, the most valuable ones."

"Still, my dear," he said, "we must choose wisely, and not simply discard good assets just because they seem of little value. Take Gor-don, for example... he is going to be a strong asset for us again, I believe. Get in touch with Bryce, through intermediaries; I have plenty of uses for him, and will soon have him freed from the Iron Crowbar's clutches. And Brownlee... even he might be worth saving."

"I understand that Dr. Searles has recommended he be put on the transplant list." said the lovely Sinon. "And in any case, the Iron Crowbar, the Chief of Police, and the Sheriff are all working to keep Brownlee from returning to the TCPD, at least as Deputy Chief."

"Well, then," he said, "we shall have to steer that boat into currents that favor us. I'm sure Jack Lewis can find a place for Brownlee at the State level."

"He's running for Governor, and is very busy right now." said Sinon. "Gaston is practically running the SBI. Governor Jared is getting pissed; Gaston dodges and weaves, doesn't answer the Governor's questions. Gaston and Conlan are in constant conflict, as well. And this might not be good for us. Our people in the SBI have been laying plans for weeks, months even, and are getting ready to go operational. But Gaston could blow it for us, without even realizing it."

"Yes, I'll have to intervene there, get that all straightened out." he said. "One final thing: how is the Iron Crowbar doing in his relentless pursuit of me, the one he calls the Consultant of Crime. Nice name, I like it, but how is he really doing?"

"I don't know." said the lovely Sinon, her brow furrowing. "I am not sure. He's been sniffing around 'The Four' after that BigPharmaCorp disaster. Or at least he has his minions Perlman and Nash investigating them for him. They're really concentrating on the Iron Crowbar's sister."

"Ah, that is... interesting." he said. "Most very, very... well, to have subordinates researching that suggests several things. We shall have to see which direction is the true path..."

Part 2 - Philosophical Discussion

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette on Tuesday, December 29th. "Amidst the Joy of the Holiday season, there is serious trouble within the ranks of the Fire Department. The National Brotherhood of Emergency Services Workers, the NBESW, the EMT's Union, has declared the Fire Department's austerity measures cutting all the EMT's pay and furloughing many of the senior EMT personnel to be a violation of the County contract, as well as singling out the EMTs unfairly and unlawfully. The Fire Department has announced they will not cut nor lay off any Fire personnel other than the EMTs. The EMT Union is considering further action, including lawsuits and a possible strike."

A video was played, showing Jack Naples of the NBESW. Naples had a long face that angled down to a chin in a triangular way; put some white makeup and a green wig on him, and with his perma-grin, perma-sneer, he could be The Joker of comics fame. "It is time for the EMTs to stand up to the oppressive actions of the Fire Department and the illegal actions of the Town Council." said Naples. "We must take decisive action to save EMT jobs and serve this County as it deserves to be served!"

Bettina then continued: "Speaking for the Town & County Council, Thomas P. Cook has declared that a strike by the EMTs would be illegal, allowing the County to fire them and replace them completely. When asked if the EMTs would be replaced by a private ambulance service, he said only that nothing has been decided yet. But he made it clear that the Council would not tolerate a strike by the EMTs."

"And in other news," said Bettina, "the Wildcats are preparing for the National Championship game, to be played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. But they'll play without their defensive coordinator, Coach Ted Thrasher, who was released from his contract and is taking over the duties as the Bulldogs' head coach full time."

"Why didn't they keep him through the Title game?" asked Cindy to me as we drank coffee in MCD. The room was nearly empty; only Joanne Cummings was here already. She and Cindy had gotten in some good crowbar training in the ring. I'd worked out with Sergeant Tate, then run with him and some of the cadets, even though School was not in session for the Holidays.

"It was kind of a solidarity move." I said. "The Wildcats made a point to tell the Conference they were allowing Coach Thrasher to take over before Christmas because they support the Bulldogs in the controversy against State Tech."

"Oh wow." said Cindy. "That's some solidarity, there. But your Coach Richmond is like that."

"Yes, he is." I said. "The Conference got the hint, though. I heard from my favorite confidential source on Campus that they're backing off and will let hostilities die down. The Bulldog players got justice for Nick Eastwood, and it should be cleaner from now own."

"That's an interesting concept." said a voice behind me. I turned to see the lovely light-skinned black woman, ADA Paulina Patterson, come into the room, obviously pregnant, looking radiant.

"Good morning." I said. "What concept is that?"

"Justice." said Paulina. "What is 'Justice'? How do you define it?"

"There's earthly Justice, and then there's the Lord's Justice." Joanne said.

"That's a thought." said Cindy. "What do you think it is, Paulina?"

"What we do, of course." said Paulina. "Catch criminals, bring them to Court, give them their fair trial, then put them away if and when they're found 'guilty'."

"What if they're actually innocent?" said Joanne. "It happens."

"Sure it does." I said. "No system is perfect. But I believe the American Justice System is as good as it's ever going to get on this planet."

"I know a lot of people that don't agree with you, Don." said Paulina. "Most of them have my skin color. I know better, but I'm in the vast minority of that Minority. What about you, Cindy? What do you think?"

"One of the many things I've learned from my father, my blood father, Dr. Eckhart," said Cindy, "is sort of what Joanne is saying... but it's more karma than anything else. He says that those who do others wrong on this earth will eventually pay for it. If not here, then in the next life or somewhere else."

"That's what Hell is for, ma'am." said Joanne.

"And that's one of the things about Christianity that I've never liked." I said. "I just cannot accept the concept of Christian 'Hell'. Eternal damnation and torture just for not believing Christ is the Messiah? Or for earthly actions that might be bad, but certainly don't merit torture and damnation for eternity. Not to impugn those who believe, but the concept of Hell seems to contradict the entire rest of the Bible." Joanne did not like my words, but did not say anything.

"What about you, Don?" asked Paulina. "What is your idea of 'Justice'?"

I sighed. "You know, I could say it's catching the perps and putting them through the Court system. But that's not a perfect answer. Take that Lou Stevens guy. His wife was raped in front of him, and the Statute of Limitations had run out on the crime, insuring that Fulton would never pay for his crimes through the Justice System. Of course, Stevens's own administration of what some would call 'Justice', particularly to Fulton's head, got Stevens in trouble with that same Justice System. That's the law, that's 'Justice'... but is it really?"

"So that's why you let Nash solve that case, instead of solving it yourself?" asked Cindy.

"Oh no, Nash solved the case because he was working on it and he did a very good job. No need for me to be involved, and I was bringing Dr. Cubbard to 'Justice' at the same time. That's another example: Cubbard did not get nearly what he deserved from the Court system."

"If you'd had to bring in Stevens," said Paulina, "or if there was a crime committed where you sympathized with the criminal, would you let him or her go? Or do the right thing and bring him or her in?"

I nodded for a second, remaining silent. "You know," I finally said, "that's like those ethics questions they asked us in our ROTC classes. About war crimes, stuff like that. And while everyone wants to say they'll do the right thing... well, all I can say is that I could only decide when I'm actually confronted by the situation. And I hope I won't ever be."

Cindy was accepting of my answer. Joanne was thoughtful. Paulina seemed miffed, though. She said "I really do hope you'd never let a killer walk free."

"Speaking of ADAs," I said, changing the subject, "when is Jenna getting back?"

"Oh yes," said Paulina, "how is her uncle?"

"He didn't make it." Cindy said. "He died last Tuesday. I called the hospital up there and found out." The unspoken implication in my cousin's words was that Jenna had not told her; Cindy had had to find out on her own.

"Oh, I'm sorry." said Joanne. "Has anyone from the Police Department sent flowers?"

"Yes." I said. "Teresa told Scott Peterson, who is Public Relations as well as Press Relations. He had someone send flowers."

"Speaking of Teresa," said Cindy, "How is her friend Amy doing?"

"Laura said the tests would be back today." I said. "But we can ask Teresa herself. Good morning, Lieutenant. The coffee is right here waiting for you. I perceive you slept at the Hospital last night."

"Thank you, sir." said Teresa. "And good morning everyone. Amy's doing okay. She's just tires really easily. And how did you know I stayed at the Hospital? Your wife tell you?"

"Nope." I replied. "I'll be blunt, Lieutenant: you look like hell. You need to go home, clean up, and get some rest. It's a quiet time. Take half a day."

"Thank you, sir." Teresa said.

Part 3 - Storm Clouds Gathering

"I just don't know, Don." said Fire Marshal Zoe Singer. "It's getting really bad, really hostile. I've been called in to investigate three reports of physical attacks upon EMT technicians. They're refusing to do the grunt work, like clean the Firehouse floors, and a couple of the EMTs were attacked. The leadership is still holding the line and doing the right things, and I've suspended three Firemen already. But it's getting ugly."

She was sitting in my office at 10:00am that same morning, wearing her dark blue shirt and matching dark blue pants, her oak leaf clusters of the same rank as my own on her shoulders. Her badge was like mine, except the lettering and numbering was red and had the words 'Fire Marshal' instead of my blue-colored lettering that said 'Commander'. She was also drinking the coffee I'd poured for her, and she looked very tired.

"What's the top brass say?" I asked.

"Chief Quinlin has put out an edict that he will not tolerate violence or abuse of anyone." Zoe said. "I think he pretty much means it. But the Assistant Chief is openly hostile to the EMTs, as are a couple of the Battalion Chiefs, whose ranks are the same as yours and mine."

"The Superintendents are a mixed bag." Zoe continued. "Davies is the best one of the bunch, and he laid down the law along with the Chief, but Superintendent Harris of the Downtown Station, Fire Station No. 1, has encouraged his people to be as hostile as they like to the EMTs. I secretly had the video cameras in that Station kept on permanently, and your Supervisor Milton is getting a direct feed, in case anything happens."

"Good." I said. "Do you have a warrant to do that?"

"Yes." said Zoe. "For the feed to the Police, anyway. Inspector General Wellman had the Police secure one; I think your Lieutenant Perlman formally made the request."

"Good." I said. "Then we'll be able to act immediately upon any probable cause." After a pause I said "Well, I don't know what else we can do, Zoe. Once the New Year hits, I guess we'll find out then." After another pause, I added "I still don't understand the hostility towards the EMTs in this County."

Zoe nodded, then said "Neither do I. Changing the subject, how is Jenna Stiles doing?"

"As far as the abduction and her ordeal is concerned," I said, "she seems to be doing okay. But as far as her relationship with my Police Captain... I dunno, I'm not liking what I'm seeing and hearing."

Just then the phone rang. It was my wife Laura. "Can you come to the Hospital?" she asked. My heart felt a chill at her next words: "And bring Teresa."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello, Amy." said Laura as she entered Amy's hospital room, followed by me, Teresa, Cindy (of course), and Dr. Richard Searles. "This is Dr. Searles. He's a heart doctor, but he can do other transplants, and he's the best in the world at what he does."

"Hello, Amy." Dr. Searles said quietly, giving as much of a smile as he was capable. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay, I guess." said Amy. Teresa came up to the other side of the bed from where Laura was standing, to be by Amy's side.

"Amy," Laura said, "your tests came back. I'm not going to sugarcoat this. You're very sick." She told Amy in fairly simple terms of the serious disease that had befallen the teen girl, and finished by saying "You need a liver transplant. Dr. Searles is going to put you on the list to get one. You just stay strong, okay?"

Teresa took Amy's hand in hers. "Don't worry, we'll get through this. We'll find you a new liver and you'll be a lot better."

"Thanks." said Amy, trying to smile to reassure Teresa, and trying to mask her inner fear.

"And we'll bring Buddy to see you, too." said Teresa. She looked over at me.

"Absolutely." I said. "I'll bring Buddy in later today."

Just then, a nurse came in bringing Amy's lunch. I was glad that I did not have to eat it. Laura used the moment as an excuse to call me and Teresa outside.

"There's one more thing, that I don't want her to hear." Laura said. "Amy's blood type is O-Negative, which is bad enough for getting a transplant. But worse, she has other blood factors that make it pretty unlikely we'll find a good match. We're looking for 'close enough', but I don't want you getting your hopes up too much. It'll be a minor miracle if we get a match... in time."

"How much... how much time does she have?" asked Teresa, her eyes widening at the import of what she was hearing.

Laura looked into Teresa's eyes and said "Teresa, you may have found her just in time. She may have only three or four weeks left without a transplant. I'm sorry."

"No." said Teresa defiantly. "She has a chance. We'll find her a liver--"

"And who is going to pay for this?" asked a voice. Laura whirled to face the Hospital Administrator, Dr. Louise Alcott. Dr. Alcott and my wife did not like each other. I'd heard rumors that Alcott had a heart that would turn even Julie Newton's stomach when it came to money, and that Alcott could squeeze a dime out of a turnip.

"Are you kidding?" Laura hissed. "I'm trying to break this news to her closest friends, and you come in talking about money?"

"I've talked to the Orphanage." said Dr. Alcott, as if Laura had said nothing. "Their insurance doesn't cover this. And the County's Indigent Services will only pay a certain amount. If she can't make up the rest, she'll be transferred to State Medical in Midtown."

"Come on, Dr. Alcott," said Dr. Searles, who had just come into the hallway, "they don't have the resources we do, the resources this little girl needs to survive."

"That's the regulations." Dr. Alcott said. "I'll only give her 24 more hours to remain here."

"Wait!" said Teresa. "I'll get ADA Patterson to file a petition with the Court, and make me her legal guardian. Then I can put her on my insurance."

"That can't happen for at least a month." said Dr. Alcott, seeming to hurl the words at Teresa with contemptuous delight. "And even then, the Insurance Company for the County, which covers the Police Department, will refuse because she has a pre-existing condition. And that's even if you're allowed to become her legal guardian, which will take months for the Court to decide. Months. Your solution is unacceptable, Officer. I'm going to have this girl transferred."

"I've got some money saved up." said Teresa. "Please, just let her stay, I'll find a way to pay for it."

"Teresa," whispered Cindy, "you don't have anywhere near that kind of money. None of us do." Dr. Alcott's look at Teresa was a sneer, and my crowbar was whispering to me, aching to wipe that look off that bitch's face.

"Like your father says, Cindy," said Teresa, groping for an answer, "where there's a will, there's a way."

"Ah, how true that is." I heard a gravelly voice say, followed by that shock of white hair coming up behind Dr. Alcott. "And, my dear Teresa, your will shall become my way. Dr. Alcott, I will be personally taking care of young Amy's expenses while she is in this Medical institution."

Dr. Alcott seemed none to pleased about that. "We accept insurance here, Dr. Eckhart, not your ill-gotten money." I had to stop Cindy from charging the woman by stepping in front of her.

"Ah, Dr. Alcott," said Eckhart, with a look on his face I had not seen before, a look of cunning mixed with contempt, concealed in a sinister smile, "I am so sorry to hear that. My money was lawfully earned; it is legal tender, and perfectly legitimate. But of course, if young Amy is denied this Hospital's medical services, then I might have to speak with my nephew, this County's Police Commander, about a few interesting things going on at the very top levels of this hospital, as well as some persons that you've been very friendly with--"

"All right!" hissed Dr. Alcott, cutting him off. "As long as you pay the bills in full, and keep your mouth shut, she can stay." She turned on her heel and walked away. Cindy gave Teresa a hug. Eckhart exchanged a glance with me before turning his attention to the others.

"I believe my daughter has the very best taste in who she chooses as her friends." said Dr. Eckhart, beaming at Teresa. "Both she and young Amy are fortunate, indeed."