Hampered in His Plans Ch. 04

Story Info
The Consultant unleashes his worst act yet upon the Team.
9.7k words
4.84
11.4k
4

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/02/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

*****

Part 19 - Forewarning

"Oh, Commannnderrrrr..."

"Get out of my dream, Angela."

It was 2:30am, early Friday morning, January 15th.

"Oh, Commander," chided Angela Harlan. In my dream she was in black and white, under a cone of light, naked but for her high heel black pumps, her raven black hair cascading behind her. "Your day is coming, your day is coming."

"What day?" I asked in my dream.

"Oh, your day to join the Dark Side, my beloved Iron Crowbar." Angela whispered, her voice sounding as if it were very near me. "Don't you want to know why I went bad, Don?"

"I already know." I said.

"You don't know shit." Angela said, then began pacing in front of me. I was sitting on some chair, not restrained, but seemingly unable to move. "But you're about to find out. You are about to face the same choice I had to make. The Dark Side is coming, Don. Will you go into the Darkness, into the Deepness?"

"No!" I shouted. I looked around. I was sitting up in bed, having waked up and violently thrown the covers off me. That had awakened Laura.

"Don?" she asked. "Don, are you all right?"

"Yeah... yeah, I'm fine. I just had a... weird dream. Go back to sleep."

"Come, lie back down." she said. But I was getting up.

"I'm going to go get something to drink." I said. "I'll be right back." With that, I went downstairs to the kitchen. There was some orange juice in the refrigerator and I poured some of that. I might have added a touch of vodka, as well.

I downed my drink, following it with a glass of water. Then I went back upstairs. I checked on the kids, who were peacefully sleeping. But two dogs were looking up at me.

Bowser was in his basket at the foot of Carole's bed, which had rails on the side to keep her from falling out. Buddy was in a basket under Jim's crib, which he'd taken to from the get-go.

I sat down on the floor, and both dogs came up to me. I would make a point of giving them equal time, so I was petting Buddy with my left hand and Bowser with my right hand. "You guys guarding the kids?" I asked. They didn't respond, but let me keep petting them for a while. Perhaps they sensed my feeling of foreboding, partly due to the nightmare dream with the Black Widow, partly due to her words of forewarning... but also because of something more, as if a House of Cards was about to fall on my head...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" yelled the lovely MILF redheaded reporterette at 7:00am on the same Friday, January 15th. "Channel Two News has learned that there is a possible, let me say that again: possible transplant organ that could become available for young orphan Amy Croyle. This is contingent upon a terminally ill person passing away, and University Hospital and Dr. Richard Searles are prepared if and when the organ arrives."

"In other news," said Bettina, "the EMT strike remains peaceful, but the Town & County Council has asked the Police Department to clear the EMTs, saying that they have no lawful authority to be on strike, and their presence is a danger to the Community. However, Sheriff Daniel Allgood and Police Chief Sean Moynahan issued a joint statement that as long as the EMTs remain peaceful and no one is put in immediate danger by their actions, they will not be molested by the Police. Asked for a statement, Commander Donald Troy stated that the EMTs have a Constitutional First Amendment right to Peaceably Assemble, and as long as it remains peaceful, he has no reason to bother them."

Bettina said "When asked if they would open a dialogue with the striking EMTs, a spokesman for the Council has stated that the EMS service no longer exists, that the former EMTs have no jobs to return to, and they are disqualified from any County Government job. The Council considers the matter closed, except for seeking legal action to force the former EMTs to disband."

Bettina had more: "Meanwhile, the Police responded to a KXTC inquiry into the murder case of NBESW president Jack Naples, and the Police response was that they continue to actively investigate the case, but do not yet have sufficient evidence to serve an arrest warrant. However, Commander Troy did say that there is plenty of evidence to bring the arrested Firemen to trial in the rape and assault cases.

Bettina added: "There has been surprisingly little national interest in the story of a national Union president being murdered. Some experts suggest the NBESW is not a very influential Union, nor one with much clout, while other experts suggest that this an example of Unions losing their influence overall. However, sources close to this situation suggest that it is the relatively hopeless situation of the local EMS as the reason for the lack of national interest in this story."

Who are these 'experts'? I once again asked myself as I listened to Bettina's broadcast...

"And in the continuing saga of the District Attorney's office, D.A. Krasney has moved to bring the Fire Department rape case forward." said Bettina. "This occurred after both the State and Federal Departments of Justice began an inquiry into the matter. The Fire Department Union will continue to provide legal representation to their Firemen, and D.A. Krasney named A.D.A. Paulina Patterson as the lead prosecutor for all the Fire Department cases. She and Commander Troy have brought many cases to a successful conclusion with guilty pleas before trial, and these cases may be soon brought to an end."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Commander," said Detective Martin Nash as he entered my office, with Lt. Perlman right behind him. "I did a routine check through the FBI of any issues with Jimmy Lawson's medical unit. At the time he shipped out, a couple of long scalpels were reported as missing. It is not totally uncommon for items to disappear here and there, but they actually made a full investigation and report about it."

"Long scalpel." I said.

"Yes sir," said Nash, "I also checked with the Medical Examiner, and she said that type of long scalpel would definitely fit the profile of the murder weapon."

"Looks like this is enough probable cause to get a warrant to search Lawson's home and car." I said. "Get with Paulina and make it happen."

"Better call Ted Mason." said a voice, which belonged to the gorgeous black ADA. Paulina came on into the office. "Commander, you and I have appointments at County Jail. The lawyers for the TCFD perps say they're ready to get this done. But I suspect they'll need to have you in front of them to put the true Fear of God and Crowbars into them."

"Okay, Perlman," I said, "Get with ADA Mason, secure the warrant, and let me know what your guys find. Good work on that, Nash. Keep this up, and the FBI will probably steal you from us."

"Not if I can help it." Tanya said with her cherubic grin. Nash was silent, and looked a little uncomfortable.

Part 20 - Resolution

The two firefighters accused of rape were brought to the County Jail's Interrogation Room 1. Yes, '1'. They'd finally renovated two more rooms into Interrogation Rooms, so I and Third Precinct now had three secure and videocamera-covered rooms to work with. Happy happy, joy joy, I thought to myself.

The firefighters were in orange County Jail jump suits, and had been held in a separate detention cell to prevent them from being attacked by other inmates. They had never been very exceptional firefighters, from the reports I read, and now they were haggard and looked beaten.

Their lawyers, despite any talk of amicable conclusions, were still going to press for everything they could. But they might have known to not fuck with me, and that I was their last hope of any pre-trial conclusion.

"All right, guys," I said, "you're going to do hard time, no matter what. We can make this a bit easier on you, or make it very very hard."

"Commander," said one of the lawyers, an older man with white hair on both sides of his hair, and glasses on his beakish nose, "Why should my clients capitulate, when the video was illegally obtained, and their arrest unlawful?"

"Are you really going to waste my immensely valuable time this way?" I shot back, keeping my voice as calm as I could. "First, the victim has picked these two men out of a hundred photographs. She will also be able to pick them out of a lineup. Second, the semen samples recovered from the victim, as well as skin from under her fingernails, has 99.9999% DNA matches to your clients sitting here before me. Third, the video evidence was very much lawfully obtained, and it's clear. Do I even neeeed to say 'Lets watch some TV.'? You're clients are done, Counselor."

"Let's make a deal, then." said one of the firefighters, overruling his lawyer's attempts to make him stop talking. "What's the best we can do?"

Paulina said "Let me first make you understand what happens if you take this to trial, and you're convicted. And let's be honest, guys, with this DNA evidence alone, you are going down. You're looking at 25-to-Life, especially if I tack on aggravating circumstances, which is very possible here. Basically it's the rest of your lives. But if you plead guilty, the judges around here would very likely give 20 years each, with some possibility of parole. That's not too likely, as you face other charges, but I might can swing concurrent sentences instead of consecutive ones."

"Protective custody?" the other fireman asked.

"No doubt about that anyway." I said. "I've already labeled you 'keepaways', and that'll follow you to State Prison. You'll probably get a transfer to Supermax."

"How long before parole?" asked the first firefighter.

"There's no guarantee of it." Paulina said. "I intend to wrap this whole thing into one ball and put it on the Judge's desk. Your most likely scenario is 20 years, straight up."

"It beats the hell out of life without parole, which you could conceivably get if you go to trial."

"We need to confer with our clients." said one of the lawyers.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What about the rest of them?" I asked Paulina as we waited in the anteroom.

"From what I'm hearing," Paulina said, "the guys holding the EMTs while the third was beating his face want to hold out. They're going to say the EMT was attacking their fellow firefighters, and they were just restraining him, and the Police got the wrong idea when they drove up."

"Like we didn't get camera coverage of it?" I said. "We did, you know. Pretty clear pictures, too."

"They think they can get that tossed." said Paulina. "Or at least their lawyers do. Anyway, the guy who was punching the EMTs might be a bit more reasonable; he knows he's in deep shit.

"Tell you what, let me take the lead on it." I said. I told her what I would do, and being a smart as well as beautiful woman, she agreed with my idea.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The rapists agreed to plead guilty in exchange for 20 year prison terms, but held out that they could change their plea to 'not guilty' if the judge rejected the plea deal. In the end, Judge Folsom would accept the deal, and they would have two decades in near-solitary-confinement to contemplate things.

Next up were the three men who were holding the male EMTs and beating them nearly to death.

"Okay, guys." I said. "We can sit here and watch TV, which shows very clearly that you prevented these two EMTs from helping their female colleague. Then you deliberately held and beat them. So, the charges I've filed are conspiracy to commit rape, conspiracy to commit murder in the first degree, harming persons in your custody, which happened when you physically held down the EMTs, and the biggie: attempted murder in the first degree."

"That's ridiculous!" thundered one of the lawyers. Where do they get these guys? I wondered to myself.

"Ridiculous?" I asked. "How so? They were beating that man with the intent to kill him. I'm certainly willing to let a jury decide if this is attempted murder, which will carry life without parole because of the other charges. I also intend to ask for consecutive sentences, which judges around her like to give, and that means your clients here will spend the rest of their lives in Supermax prison."

The three firefighters suddenly had scared looks on their faces. "What's the matter guys?" I asked, loudly and menacingly. "Your lawyers tell you you'll only get assault charges, maybe plead down to misdemeanors? Nope, not gonna happen while I'm Police Commander in this County. I'm going for the full meal deal, and all felonies. I really am, very seriously guys, talking about life sentences when all is said and done. You are going to do hard time, and a lot of it."

"By way of contrast," said Paulina, right on cue, "we can probably get this wrapped into one neat package of 20 years without parole, then you walk out with the rest of your lives."

"We need to consider this, guys." said one of the firefighters. The lawyers admonished him to shut his mouth.

"Tell you what, guys." I said, getting up. "I'll go into the other room, take a potty break, all that stuff, while you guys talk with your lawyers for a few minutes. And I hope you get better legal advice than you've gotten so far." With that, Paulina and I left the room.

"You were right." Paulina said. "They really thought they'd get off light. And when you said 'attempted murder', I thought they'd dump in their pants. Think their lawyers told them they'd get off easy?"

"I'd suspect their Union reps were the ones feeding them that hot air." I said. "Quite frankly, I don't care if they take any deal or not. They're hip deep in it."

"Supervisor Harris is next." Paulina said. "What about him?"

"He'll be the hardest one to convince." I said. "In fact, I won't be surprised if he takes it to trial. But maybe vee hav vays to make him see reeeson." I said in my 'German' accent.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After thirty minutes of wrangling with their lawyers, the three firemen offered to plead guilty to assault and battery charges. I said it wasn't enough; the political climate required restitution for the rape, as well as one EMT nearly dying from their beating. In the end, they agreed to plead guilty to aggravated assault with the intent to do bodily harm, and conspiracy to commit rape, which meant they'd have 20 years without parole each.

And then Superintendent Harris was brought in. His lawyer was the older man who'd represented the rapists. They were both feisty.

"Your Police Captain attacked me." snarled Harris. "I'm going to press charges and sue her. And I'll call every firefighter in that building to the stand, and every last one of them will tell the jury that your bitch cop attacked me first. No way in hell I take any deals. I'll see your redheaded stepchild ass in Court, Troy!"

"I think he's trying to irritate me." I said to Paulina. "I think he's succeeding, too." I turned back to Harris. "Okay, buddy, let's be clear. First of all, even if you do get 14 firefighters to perjure themselves for you, I will then bring out the videotape which will prove who assaulted who."

"But since you've decided to be an asshole about it, Harris," I said, "you've got something worse to think about. You see, Captain Ross is my blood kin. A fellow cop, to be sure. But my family, too. My blood, Harris. And the way I see it, shithead, you attacked her, and she didn't kill you on the spot, which she could've done. She didn't kill you... but if you get out and walk free... well, I'll be there, Harris. I'll be there."

"Are you threatening me, Troy?" snarled Harris.

"Harrumph. What do you think?" I replied sneeringly.

"You know this is being recorded." said Harris's lawyer. "This alone will get him off. The judge will drop the charges, and you'll be hearing from the Inspector General."

"I'm sure I will." I said, letting my eyes bore into Harris. "Superintendent Harris knows about the cohesion, the brotherhood within a Fire Station. I'm sure he knows that the Police have the same cohesion. And they'll support my Captain, even if they don't support me. Someone will be out there, Harris. And that's not a threat, it's a prediction."

"My God, how can you be speaking this way--" the lawyer started. Then it hit him. "Those damn microphones better be on and working!" he snarled.


"And if they're not?" I asked.

"They'd better be, or I'll have your ass strung up so fast and hard you'll wish you were dead." the lawyer threatened.

"Now who is threatening who?" asked Paulina. The lawyer and Harris both glared at her.

"Okay, on to trial." I said. "No deals for this piece of shit, Ms. District Attorney." I got up to go.

"Wait a minute." said the lawyer. "In light of all this acrimony, we should be able to come to some sort of agreement here. For all our sakes."

"Oh, I have nothing to fear." I said. "Superintendent Harris, though... as the Station Commander that he was, he's responsible for what happens in his Station. Forcible rape is what happened. He can be charged with conspiracy to commit rape, since he didn't try to stop it. Every charge we're bringing against his subordinates, I intend to bring against him. And through it all... he still assaulted my blood kin. See you in Court, Harris." I turned and left.

They did manage to get Paulina to listen, and she pretended to get me to come back in. Once back inside, the lawyer said "Okay, what do you want? And by that I mean something we can actually agree to."

"Well..." I said, as if thinking about it, "... if your client makes a plea bargain that includes his immediate resignation from the Fire Department, voluntary forfeiture of any Fire Department pension, and an agreement to never work in any County position of employment... the same treatment the EMTs have always gotten... then he can plead guilty to misdemeanor assault on a police officer, and get probation. That's not negotiable, that's my final offer, take it or leave it."

"Let me keep my pension, and it's a deal." Harris said.

"Ears are to hear with." I said. "Start using yours. I said my offer was non-negotiable, take it or leave it. No pension. Not one dime."

"I'll leave it, then. I'll see you in Court." said Harris. "And in Hell."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Pretty good day." said Paulina as we ate lunch at the Cattleman's Club, my treat. "The rapists are getting pretty standard sentences, there, so no public backlash should happen. The bullies got served, but still got less than they could have. But I think you could've had Harris, too."

"Paulina," I said with something of a grin and something of a thought of pain, "if you think Cindy beat the shit out of him, just imagine what she would've done to me if I'd cut a deal with that prick. As it is, he's going to trial, he'll face a host of charges of aiding and abetting rape, as well as felony assault on a Police Officer, for which he will be convicted."

"In the meantime," I went on, "he faces TCFD discipline for losing control of his Fire Station, basically being in charge of a Fire Station where people in his charge committed forcible rape... they're going to strip him of his pension anyway. He was a fool not to take that deal, it's no longer on the table, and *he* walked away from it."