Hampered in His Plans Ch. 05

Story Info
Two walk the cliff over the Dark Side; who will rise above?
8.8k words
4.85
12.3k
3

Part 5 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/02/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

*****

Part 24 - Release of Agony

Teresa closed Amy's eyes and pulled the sheet over her just as the nurses came in. I had Buddy in my arms as we left the room.

"Commander," Teresa said, barely able to speak, "I... I want to lead the Funeral Procession, and the Honor Guard, for her funeral."

"Of course." I said. There was a small unit of Police Officers that served as pallbearers if someone died indigent, and of course for deceased current or former Police Officers. "And if there's anything else you need, let me know. I'm going to take Buddy home... home." I'd blurted it out a second time as I realized that Buddy was now my dog, and his home was with me.

"Todd, will you take Teresa home?" I asked.

"Yes sir." Todd said. With that, I headed for the elevator, knowing that Teresa was doing all she could to not break down in front of me. Once I was out of sight, she did indeed break down sobbing in Todd's arms...

Laura was getting off the elevator as I was coming up to it. One look at my face told her everything. I hugged her with one arm (the other holding Buddy), and she held me for a long moment. "I'm taking Buddy home." I finally said.

"I'll wrap up things here." Laura said. She headed down the hallway. I am sure that she would tend more to Teresa than to 'wrapping up things'...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Getting to my Police SUV, I noticed I'd left the blue lights flashing. I got into the vehicle, putting Buddy in the passenger seat, and turned the lightbar off. I pulled out, feeling numb. As I got to the road, the striking EMTs were looking strangely at me. One of them waved me down.

"Is everything okay, Commander? You barreled in here like a bat outta hell..." he asked when I stopped and rolled down the window. I just shook my head.

"You heard about that orphan girl whose transplant organ was stolen?" I asked. The people listening nodded. "She didn't make it." I heard groans as the news was disseminated. I pulled out onto the street and drove home...

I took Buddy up to the kids' room and put him next to his basket under Jim's crib. He chose instead to lie down on the floor. I petted Bowser, who had awakened, looked in on the sleeping kids, then headed for the door. As I looked back, I saw something that I had not seen before, and would never see again: Bowser had left his post by Carole's bed. He went over and lay down beside Buddy, their bodies pressed together. They would spend the rest of the night that way...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My mom was asleep in the guest room, and I chose to let her sleep. I also did not text Cindy; she'd find out soon enough.

I was sitting on the 'front' sofa in the den (which faced the sofa against the wall). Laura came in, and I noticed that 45 minutes had passed since I returned home. She came down and sat beside me, to my left.

"Teresa finally went home." Laura said. "I gave her a sedative before Todd took her home." After a pause, she asked "Did you get there in time?"

I nodded. "She... she got to pet Buddy... one last time. She asked me to take care of him... of course I will..."

The dam broke. The pain that had been welling up inside me exploded. I began crying, crying as I had that night at the old Cabin after Pete Feeley had died and I was realizing who the Black Widow was. I felt Laura wrap her arms around me, holding me.

"Let it out, let it all out." I heard her say as she cradled me tightly. And I did. All of the pain, the months of fighting the criminals, the politicians, the desperate attempt to stop the Consultant of Crime without getting good people killed, everything came out as I grieved over a young girl who was now a victim of one of the most brutal crimes of which I could conceive.

It would take a very long time to 'let it all out'.

Part 25 - Into Darkness

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News." Bettina said somberly from in front of University Hospital at 7:00am, Wednesday, January 20th. "We are heartbroken to report that Amy Croyle, the orphan girl whose transplant organ was stolen before she could receive it, has died."

A groan went up in MCD. I had just come in, and had not yet told everyone. They all listened silently as Bettina said "Lieutenant Teresa Croyle of the TCPD had been granted legal guardianship of young Amy, and the Police Department has announced that she, along with Police Chaplain Father Romano, will be making Amy's funeral arrangements."

"Sir," said Joanne Cummings quickly, "I want to volunteer to be part of that." Everyone else quickly volunteered also.

"Not my call." I said. "It'll be up to Lt. Croyle. I'll be in my office." With that, I turned and left for the sanctuary of my office. I sat down behind my desk. I had expended my grief the night before, so now I was feeling numb.

I looked up at the wall to my right. I saw the Laika crowbar, and Pete Feeley's framed police badge below it. As I thought of them, and of others that had died or been wounded, and the near-misses such as the fire at the Cabin, I went into the deepest, darkest reverie of my life...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When I came back, I was not alone in my office. Captain Cindy Ross was sitting in one of the chairs in front of my desk, her energy focusing on me. If she could feel what I was feeling, then she'd be feeling a cold sense of purpose, dead to all feeling but Justice.

"You okay?" she asked.

I shook my head. "No." I said. "And I won't be until I get the bastard behind this. Tell the Data Guyz to start looking hard for a Steve Moschel. I don't want any public APBs out, that will alert the Enemy, who will tell him and he'll run. Tell the Data Guyz to watch for any strangenesses in the Organ Donor System, which they need to monitor."

Cindy nodded. "Anything else? Do you want to be left alone?"

I exhaled. "No, that's all right. Thanks for asking, though. How are you holding up?"

"Okay." Cindy said. "Todd called me early this morning. He said your wife gave Teresa a sedative, and she was out like a light. He also said you took the dog home, and that you did not look like you were in a mood to talk, so it didn't suprise me that you didn't call me."

"You've had so much going on," I said, "that I decided it could wait until morning. Not much you could do, anyway."

"True." Cindy said, getting up. "Teresa will be here about noon. She called me a few minutes ago. She's going to contact the Hospital and Father Romano and get the funeral arrangements started. I'll tell the Data Guyz about their mission. Paulina will probably want to talk to you about Jimmy Lawson, as well. If you'll excuse me, sir..." I just nodded shortly in dismissal.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa lied, sort of. She was at Headquarters at noon. She was at Headquarters at 10:45am, as well. She endured the condolences of many fellow Officers, then came to my office and knocked on the door.

"Commander," she said, "I have almost 200 emails in my inbox. Just about everyone but you and the Chief have volunteered to be pallbearers for Amy's funeral."

"Laura and I intend to be there as family." I said. "So, who will you choose?"

Teresa said "Sergeant Irwin and Sergeant Rudistan and their people were there on Christmas Eve, and helped save Amy and Buddy from Bryce. They deserve it." I nodded.

"Sounds good." I said. "If there's anything you need from me, don't waste a second asking for it. And Teresa..."

I then said some ancient words that were allegedly Aramaic, but I wasn't sure. "That means 'I grieve with thee.'. And I do."

"Thank you, sir." Teresa. "And I know you'll take care of Buddy."

"With my life." I said. "Listen, don't overdo things. The funeral is your only mission right now, okay? Take time off if you need to."

"Thank you, sir." said Teresa.

As she went towards her office, Cindy intercepted her. They went into Cindy's office.

"How did the Commander look to you?" Cindy asked.

"Kind of..." Teresa started, then said "Well, it's hard to describe. Somewhere between 'punched in the gut', 'angry', and 'cold'."

"Yeah." Cindy said. "I've only seen him like this one other time... when he realized who the Black Widow was, and was going after her. It is going to be an ugly day for someone if he catches the bastard that stole that organ. By the way, how are you feeling about that?"

"Do you want to me to tell you the truth, or what you want to hear?" Teresa replied. "All I'll say... is that I hope the Iron Crowbar finds the perp before I do."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

David Krueger came to see me. My anti-bugging device was full on: I.A. was listening in on my office, and I was not in the mood to play around.

"Sir," said Krueger, "we checked out the Boston Medical thread, the only other hospital to claim that organ. They never got it either. But another liver, which would not have been a match for Amy, was delivered to them, and then what they call 'kicked' to this facility in New Hampshire." He handed me a file with a few sheets of paper, giving me all the information.

"I see." I said. I did not say out loud what this data was telling me. It was hard enough to not destroy the desk and windows of the office with my crowbar. "Anything on Moschel and Vauxhall?"

"Yes sir." said David. "Another payment came through Vauxhall to the same account. And this time, we worked to the second account as well. The money ended up in an account at City & Counties Bank in the City. They're a small bank with no brick-and-mortar branches, but their legal address on all their paperwork is the Cannon Building, and a suite near the top. Henry Wargrave controlled the top three floors, including his penthouse office, and it was part of that suite of offices."

"I see." I said. "And the account the money went to?"

Krueger said "The account name is a 'Hamish Stamford', with an address of 221B Coburg Square in the City."

I blinked hard. "What did you just say?" I asked, if only to give my own brain time to work.

"Uh, '221B Coburg Square'." said Krueger. "By the way, it may not be a real address, I couldn't find it on Google Maps."

"I'm not surprised, it's a fake address... and I've heard it before." I said, trying desperately to conceal my elation. "And 'Hamish Stamford', eh? That sounds familiar to you, doesn't it, Krueger?"

"Uh, no sir." said David. "No one that I've come across before." I called Cindy to my office, and had David tell her the information he'd just given me. I then asked Cindy who 'Hamish Stamford' was. It did not take her long.

"Let's see, 'Stamford' was the man who introduced Sherlock Holmes to Dr. Watson." said Cindy. "And 'Hamish'... wait a minute. Oh, of course... that's Watson's middle name! John Hamish Watson, M.D."

"And that is why she's a Police Captain with a Crowbar." I said proudly to David. "Very good, Captain!"

"Well," Cindy said, "the Canon is required reading for anyone hanging out with you, Commander." I smiled for the first time that day.

"All right, Krueger," I said, "put this stuff and whatever the three of you guy find on it onto password-protected jump drives, which I'll store in Evidence. We can't just put it on the evidence servers; those could be hacked. It is imperative that no one else have any inkling of this. Clear?"

"Yes sir." said Krueger. "The Mouseketeers will get right on it."

"The what?" I replied.

"The Mouseketeers." said Krueger. "Someone started calling the three of us that, and we kind of like it. Kind of like 'Crowbar's Angels' and 'the Abacus', and..."

"Don't you dare say it." Cindy said, thinking it was Teresa's very bad nickname.

"What, the 'Iron Crowbar'?" asked Krueger, not understanding.

"M-O-U-S-E." sang Cindy. "I'll get back to work, sir."

I thought about it. This was a huge break. We were getting close. Vauxhall, anything with 'Coburg Square'. I told David to look into that address, and also work hard on City & Counties Bank, and to notify Jack Muscone of the FBI. I dismissed him to the tasks and he left the office.

As I sat alone, going back over this information, a plan began to form in my mind. It was a break for me in more than one way. It was a chance to test something I'd long wanted to test, and a chance to gather even more information. But if the plan to exterminate the late Senator Nathan Allen was going to the Dark Side... this was not just going into Darkness... but into Deepness...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 11:30pm, still Wednesday, January 20th, the Cabin sensor alarm tripped. I told Laura that I would not take the dogs, and would text her when I got up there. I knew she'd have Police up there nearly instantly if she did not hear from me.

Driving up, I saw a vehicle parked in front of the house. I knew to whom that car belonged. I texted Laura that everything was okay, then went around the walkway to the back deck.

Teresa Croyle was sitting in the metal loveseat chair, looking over the Town. She had a blanket on over her jacket. There was a patio light that was motion-sensor-activated, and it came back on as I walked up. Teresa looked to see who it was, and I could see that tears had been streaming down her face. I came up and sat down beside her, putting the blanket I'd brought from my SUV over both of our shoulders.

"I must've tripped an alarm." she said. "I'm sorry I bothered you."

"Don't be." I said. "Mi casa, su casa.." I noticed the light of a train coming out of the western horizon, and I followed it with my eyes. It would be several more minutes before Teresa spoke.

"Don," she said, using my first name for the first time that I could remember, at least in a long, long time, "why does it hurt so much?" I knew what she meant.

"Because, Amy is gone from out here," I said, pointing to the Town, then tapping my chest over my heart with my fist, "but she is not gone from here, inside us."

"I only knew her for a month, maybe less." Teresa said, the tears beginning to flow again. "But it feels like I lost my sister again. Why do I always lose the people I love? That I want to love?"

"You don't. Cindy is still here." I said. "And this may not mean much right now, but the way I see it is that you were brought into Amy's life to make her last month happier. She had a Christmas with a new family, her dog has a home and is safe, and she had the dog and people she loved with her until the end."

"Will it ever stop hurting?" Teresa said. "Especially the way... someone stealing that organ, and her last chance to live..."

"Well, we don't know if she would've lived, even with it." I said. "But to answer your question... the pain will ease, over time. That's what 'Time' is for; it heals all wounds. And you'll have the good memories forever, which will keep her alive in your heart forever."

Teresa nodded. "Thank you. How do you always know the right thing to say?"

"I don't." I said. "But Dr. Eckhart would say I'm just speaking my Truth, from the heart and the mind. Which is all I can do." Teresa nodded, almost absently as she looked over the lights of the Town below.

After a few more minutes I got up. "I'm going to head back home before my wife gets worried about me. Feel free to stay here as long as you like."

"Thanks." said Teresa. She did stay for a long time, wrapped in both blankets.

As I left, I thought I heard the faint hum of a motorcycle... no, two motorcycles. Now what was going on with that?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

She pulled up into the parking area of Promontory Point, and right alongside the other motorcycle. There were no teenagers up here; it was cold, and it was a school night. She saw him, clad in black leather, a black motorcycle helmet, and a black motorcycle to match. He was Darkness, and was dressed befittingly.

"Don't take off your helmet." he said. "Who knows if that godforsaken Iron Crowbar has put a security camera up here. By the way, the pink in that new motorcycle is too bright, too obvious."

"Yes, that's true." she said. "I was surprised to get your summons. What can I do for you?"

"I had to risk it." he said. "We're close to making a move on a few things. Moschel is lining up a new heart for Brownlee. But I am deeply concerned. The Iron Crowbar is understandably furious after that girl's organ was taken. He wouldn't understand that it was for a much higher purpose, that it was more sorely needed elsewhere."

"You are right that he is furious." said the lovely Sinon. "Captain Lezbo said he's been acting weird, too. He did meet with David Krueger today, as well."

"Ah, now that is what I needed to hear." he said. "It tells me some things. Do you know what those pesky 'Mouseketeers' are up to?"

"They've put nothing into the Evidence servers." she said. "But they have not been using computers connected to the Police Department system, either. I even tried hacking into Milton's father's School accounts, but they're not using that backdoor, either."

"All the same," he said, "my plans to relocate cannot be sped up. We have to wait until this summer, when Operation Apple Grove takes place. So if the Iron Crowbar begins hampering my plans, I will have to come up against him. The hard way."

"I'm ready to help." she said. "Just give the word. Whatever you need to destroy the Iron Crowbar..."

"...and his little dog, too, my Pretty." he replied ominously.

With that, they both cranked their engines and sped off into the night, the sounds of their motors carrying on the wind to another home on the ridgeline...

Part 26 - The Final Goodbye

I have always wondered why bagpipes existed. They are discordant, blaring, and sometimes painful to my ears. But I got my answer today: bagpipes were given by God to play "Amazing Grace" at funeral cemetery ceremonies...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was Thursday, January 21st, 2:00pm. The Police Officers were in formal uniforms, with medals and white gloves, as they carried Amy's casket up the steps and into the Catholic Church, placing it on a rolling gurney. The pallbearers were Sergeant Rudistan, Sergeant Irwin, and Senior Patrolmen Morton, Hicks, Johnson, and McGhillie. Walking behind the casket was the Honor Guard leader, Lt. Teresa Croyle, also in formal uniform, the Purple Order around her neck.

I was not in uniform; instead wearing a black suit with a black tie, to de-emphasize my role with the Police, and emphasize the family aspect. Laura was in black, and wearing a black hat with a veil. Molly (in uniform with ribbons) and my mother (in a black dress and hat and veil) were behind us, and Cindy, also in civilian attire. Lt. Tanya Perlman, in uniform with ribbons instead of full medals, led the Detectives and a rather large contingent of Police Officers behind us.

The Church was nearly full; many people came to pay their respects for a brave young girl. The Orphanage's young charges were there. That had taken a certain Police Commander's initiative to send a Police bus to pick them up, escorted by some Officers to placate the surprisingly indifferent Orphanage staff.

Father Romano and Father Francisco said the Funeral Mass. As the service proceeded, I furtively looked around at the crowd. I saw the shock of white hair in the back. Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart, founder and great leader of 'The Vision', was there with some of his acolytes. I'd invited him to sit with us but he'd declined, perhaps knowing my mother was sitting with us, or perhaps just to de-emphasize his presence.