Happy Birthday, Kaylie

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They didn't bring anything up, however, so Kyra and Claude started down the hallways to their right, flicking on every light they came across as they went. They chose the right hallway because it had accessible lights, unlike the hallway directly before them. Jon had the flashlight, however, and so they'd be able to use that to see.

Kaylie walked in between the two brothers, hoping that they'd protect her if there was an incident. Actually, she knew they would. They'd always been very good to her, quickly becoming two of her best friends after she'd met them. They moved cautiously, Jon flicked the light back and forth, making sure that nothing was going to surprise them. Up ahead a bit there would be a hallway that connected the two annexes, though the exit to the back of the school went further than the hallway. They passed the connecting hall, glancing in and not seeing anyone. They continued further, the doors to the outside came closer and they could see the moonlight pouring onto the floor. Derek had been checking into every room for Hunter, and as he checked one of the last rooms, Jon moved forward to try and open the doors. He shook them, but they refused to open. Just as the elder Able brother was about to kick the door, Derek let out an audible grunt and Kaylie and Jon both spun.

Derek was on the ground, struggling with the cloaked man from earlier. The man punched Derek in the face after rolling on top of him. Before he could get another punch in, Jon had rushed forward and kicked him soundly in the ribs. The man rolled off and stood up with a gleaming knife in his hand. Jon readied the heavy flashlight he held in order to use it as a sort of club; this eliminated any good light they had, impairing both fighters. Derek seemed unconscious, as he did not try to get up or even move.

Jon struck first, trying to strike the killer before he did anything to his brother. He lunged forward, swinging the flashlight down and striking the offender in the shoulder. The knife-wielding murderer seemed unhindered by the attack, he also struck, the sound of his knife slicing Jon's skin made Kaylie flinch. Jon wretched backward a bit and the man came forward with the butt of the knife, hitting Jon across the forehead. Kaylie's tall friend collapsed to the floor. Surprisingly, the man did not come after her, nor did he kill either of the boys, he simply threw Derek over his shoulder and fled. Kaylie immediately rushed to Jon, trying to wake him.

It only took a moment for Jon to lapse back into reality, his head propped in Kaylie's lap. He sat up rigidly, "Where's Derek?" he exclaimed, looking around for his brother.

"That man took him," Kaylie responded, standing up and trying to help him up, making sure he could stand well enough.

"Was he okay, he didn't kill him?"

"No, it surprised me too. He's just trying to mess with us or something. I really wish I understood what was going on Jon." Her voice was on the verge of tears. This was all too much for her; she had no idea why this was happening.

Jon tried comforting her with a hug and she felt the warmth of blood press against her side from his wound. The hug didn't last long, "Come on, we have to get going. Let's find Kyra and Claude and then find Hunter and Derek. I'm not letting this mental case hurt my brother."

The two of them headed back down the hall toward the connecting hallway to go find Claude and Kyra. They approached the hallway and Jon opened the door quietly, going in first to check for the murderer. What he found wasn't the murderer, however, it may as well have been. Kaylie watched him peak in, and he just as quickly peaked out, she could tell his face was a bit pale even in the dim light. However, he smiled vaguely at her, "They're coming now."

Kyra and Claude exited the hallway shortly, and separated, Kyra standing a little ways from Jon, and Claude took hold of Kaylie's hand once more.

"Where's Derek?" Claude asked, looking around for Jon's brother.

"The psycho took him according to Kaylie; I was out cold."

"He didn't just kill you all?"

Jon was silent for a moment, a sarcastic pause, "Obviously not..."

"Oh, err... Shut up. I mean why didn't he just kill you?" Claude tried correcting himself.

"Did you want me dead!?" Kaylie accused crossly.

"Um, no, sweetie, I just... Oh forget it."

Jon didn't change his tone, he just picked up the conversation, "It seems that he doesn't want us dead quite yet. I couldn't imagine why." He paused and without consulting them he began walking, not seeming to want to waste anymore time. "It does, however, give me hope that Hunter and Derek may still have a chance. We just have to find them."

The group, down to only four now, strode down the annex and as they were entering the main hallways once more, the girls began getting ahead of them; Jon had given Kaylie the flashlight. Now that they'd separated a bit, Claude zeroed in on Jon, pulling him aside to talk. Kaylie turned around once to see if they were coming, Jon and Claude seemed to be arguing about something, but she couldn't be sure what it was. She looked back to Kyra, as they stopped walking but continued talking, allowing the boys a chance to catch up.

Kaylie and Kyra continued speaking idly, speculating on who or what was doing this to them, but mainly why they were doing it. Kyra seemed to think it was Mr. Murdock, but Kaylie didn't believe that for a second. Worriedly, Kaylie turned to look back at the guys, she noticed that Jon was now bending down on the ground, she couldn't see Claude. Completely disregarding Kyra she practically sprinted down the hall.

"What's going on!?" She exclaimed, flashing the light over the spot Jon was investigating. Claude's body was there, slumped against a locker and bleeding from the temple and mouth. It seemed that whoever had done this used the solid corner of one of the lockers which would make little noise. "Oh my God! Oh my God!" Kaylie began having a panic attack, dropping the flashlight and collapsing against a wall. Her boyfriend was dead. Gone. She broke down and curled into a ball, sobbing into her knees. Kyra approached now, scooping up the flashlight. Jon stood.

Kyra flashed the light over Claude and then Jon, Jon's hands and shirt were smeared with blood, and the cut in his side was still bleeding it seemed. "What happened!?" Kyra exclaimed, backing up, repulsed.

"I -- I don't know..." Jon stuttered, he seemed as shocked as they were. "I was coming to catch up with you two when I noticed he wasn't following me, I turned around, but I couldn't see him. I came back a bit and slipped on something... his blood. Then I found his body here. It must have been the killer, somehow he got around us."

"Liar!" Kyra screamed. "It was you! You killed Claude! You've always been so jealous Jon! Ever since we were little you've wanted to be my boyfriend. Don't you get it? I don't want you Jon; we aren't even that great of friends really! I can understand trashing my boyfriends when you're jealous, maybe even threatening to beat them up! But murder Jon!?"

"What? What's she talking about Jon?" Kaylie had snapped to, hearing this was making her brain race.

"I'm sorry Kaylie, but Jon walked in on me and Claude in the hallway back there. He must have gotten so jealous he murdered Claude! I wanted to tell you, but I was going to wait for the right time. I'm sorry."

"What are you talking about Kyra!? I never murdered Claude. Sure I was jealous, sure I wanted to hurt him, not only for betraying Kaylie, but for stealing you, like every other guy before him. But I didn't kill him! I'd never kill him! I had just agreed not to tell Kaylie. He said he'd do it, he just needed time. I didn't kill him Kaylie!" Jon sounded sincere, but he was covered in blood, Kaylie didn't know what to believe.

"Stop lying! You're covered in his blood Jon! You were just jealous because you could never have me!" As Kyra yelled Kaylie stood and began to run, unsure of which way she was going.

"Of course I wanted you, you've been the girl of my dreams since we were little, but I'd never murder Claude for something like that. All I ever wanted was for you to show me the affection I show you, is that too much!?" Jon was yelling now, waving his arms. Kyra, however, had forgotten about him, she turned her back on him and ran after Kaylie.

Kaylie was now making her way down the main hall, back to the office and entrance to the school. Tears were flowing freely from her eyes. She sobbed as she turned the corner and found a corner to huddle in. Kaylie ignored the calls coming from Kyra behind her; she didn't really want to see her right now. It had been too much, Kaylie couldn't take much more. First the initial thought of a murderer, then the sight of Felix, now her boyfriend whom she loved had been disloyal to her and then he was murdered by someone she thought was her friend. Kaylie sobbed into the fabric of her jeans.

Kyra finally entered the main hall, skidding to a stop and looking around for Kaylie. After finding her she made her way slowly, apologizing to her as she approached. Kaylie didn't want to hear it though, she blocked her from her mind. Suddenly, and surprisingly, the intercom beeped on and Kaylie heard a voice she never thought she'd hear again: Derek's.

"Jon? Jon, it's me, look: I managed to get close enough to use the intercom, but he has my feet and hands bound. He's already killed Hunter," his voice broke and he began crying into the PA system, "I'm going to be next man. Please help me. I'm in the office, he's gone for now but he should be back soon man. I know he can hear me. Please help, I --" the intercom cut off suddenly. Kyra stood up and turned around to look at the door. She took the flashlight into her hand the same way Jon had earlier.

"I'm going to go check it out. Maybe it's not too late for Derek." Kyra began moving forward with an out of nature bravery. Kaylie couldn't figure out why she did it, maybe she felt guilty, but soon enough Kyra was wearily entering the office. The door closed behind her.

Kaylie sat there, trembling for a few moments before she heard a blood curdling scream. Unsure of her reason, Kaylie began to stand and moved forward. Everything was now quiet in the office. There were no noises of a struggle of any sort. As she moved closer to the office, she noticed the mop and bucket that Felix had left there on his journey to get soap. Kaylie cautiously grabbed the mop, shaking it as dry as possible, and then wielding it in both hands. Before she was able to take another step, however, there was a sudden thud against the window of the office, the glass cracked with the force, and Kaylie jumped back. It wasn't the sound that scared Kaylie the most; it was Kyra's face staring at her through the glass, bloody and dead.

Kaylie was now backing up rather than stepping forward. The handle of the office door began to turn to her horror and very slowly the door began to open. Emerging from the office was the murderer, tall, and dressed in a pitch black robe, which was smeared in dry and wet blood. He walked slowly, and though his face was shadowed by his hood, Kaylie knew he was staring directly at her. As she continued to back up, Kaylie noticed the red glint of blood dripping from the man's knife. She knew she was as good as dead. She began to pray to God.

Without warning, as if her prayers had been answered, a figure came hurtling from down the hall and crushed into the side of the killer. The bloody hunting knife clattered to the ground. The figure turned out to be Jon. Jon managed to get on top of the antagonist and landed punch after punch against his face. However, he was only in the seat of glory for a moment before he was thrown across the floor. The man stood and moved to where Jon was recovering, Kaylie could not seem to make her muscles move. The psycho then took hold of Jon's throat, picking him up slightly and choking him as Jon futilely struggled against him.

Finally Kaylie felt her legs moving, she forced herself to walk toward the fight, and eventually she found herself breaking the mop across their adversary's back. Her plan had succeeded: the man dropped Jon who hit the floor gasping. However, he then turned to Kaylie, he didn't seem to be even hurt by her attack on his spine; simply peeved.

He approached her slowly, but Kaylie had frozen once more and soon his strong hand was wrapped around her throat and her feet were dangling in the air. She was unsure of how long she'd been dangling there, but she could feel her extremities going numb and her vision began to dim. Then, she heard the sick sound of blade entering flesh for the second time that night, and she fell to the floor, free from the killer's grasp. She gasped, choking on air.

Looking up at the scene before her, Kaylie witnessed the back of the killer's hand connect with Jon's cheek, the young man hit the ground and slid a bit. To Kaylie's horror, the larger man, whom Jon had stabbed in the side with the knife, reached down, grabbed the hilt of the knife, and yanked it from his side. The sounds of his muscles being ripped by the serrated edge were audible.

The man then disregarded Jon for the moment and turned back to Kaylie, approaching her once more, though he seemed to be stumbling a bit. With blade in hand, the ominous figure stood above Kaylie, who was still gasping and choking. He raised the blade, and as she saw it coming down, her view was blocked by Jon's back. She could not see what had happened, but she heard the blade pierce flesh and muscle. The rivals turned, and revealed Jon grasping the man's wrist, and the knife had been pushed deep into Jon's chest. Kaylie watched on, as Jon somehow managed to force the knife out of his chest, causing the two of them to fall to the ground, wrestling over the knife. As she watched on, still trying to find her normal breathing pattern, Kaylie could tell that it had now become a losing battle for Jon. He'd now been stabbed twice, and he was losing blood very quickly. Kaylie, however, couldn't manage to make herself help him. He had killed Claude hadn't he? Why should she help a murderer escape a murderer?

As Jon and the murderer continued fighting, Kaylie could hear the beautiful sound of police sirens, and soon the blue-red lights of the cop cars began flickering over the scene. Kaylie jumped inwardly as she witnessed Jon receive the knife once more as the two figures wrestled upon the ground; this time the blade sunk into his side. However, the murderer's victory wasn't long lived as almost immediately after he stabbed Jon a bloody tennis shoe connected with his chin. Kaylie was relieved to see Derek standing over his brother, though blood was trickling down his side from a gash on his neck. Derek did not seem satisfied with the initial kick, as he stepped over his wounded brother and proceeded to kick and pummel the cloaked man until he no longer struggled.

Kaylie heard a bang behind her and glance to see the police using a metal ram to break open the front doors. Breathing somewhat normally once more, and satisfied that the madman was incapacitated, Kaylie crawled to Jon's side, propping his head into her lap as she had done earlier. His breathing was irregular and he seemed to be choking on his blood slightly. From the look in his glossing blue eyes, Kaylie knew that he knew he was dying. However, he tried to lift up his head and speak.

"Kaylie..." he coughed up some blood, "Kaylie... I want you to know... I didn't kill Claude. I..." Kaylie was surprised that he was using the end of his life to deny his guiltiness. "I would never hurt someone who meant so much to you..." His eyes began to flutter and his breathing slowed. Kaylie glanced down at his chest. The knife had entered his chest where his lung and heart lay. Kaylie was amazed he was still able to speak. His eyes were dimming, but his lips parted once more and it seemed like he was trying to smile, "Happy... birthday... Kaylie..." His voice was soft and nearly inaudible, but she heard him and began to cry. She'd forgotten it was her birthday. Jon faded away in her arms, almost as soon as Derek had taken his brother's hand in his. Then the door burst open, sprinkling Plexiglas everywhere and the police rushed in with guns drawn, checking the area professionally.

***

Later that night as the police questioned her, and the ambulance took her friends to the morgue, Kaylie learned the truth of the killer. His name had been Clark Kane, a former teacher at Carter Middle School. He had been fired the previous year after being wrongfully accused by a fellow teacher of sexual assault. After he was fired, his wife left him for being unfaithful, kicked him out of the house, and took custody of their one year old daughter. He'd come to the school that night to exact vengeance on the teacher that had ruined his life, however, they assumed that when Kaylie and her friends spotted him and he was forced to hide, his plans had gone awry.

Kaylie cried the entire night. Four of her friends, including her boyfriend, had been ripped away from her on that night -- her birthday -- and it hadn't even been for a reason involving them. For several years after that night, Kaylie was unable to enter a room on her own, she refused to sleep in the dark, and when her birthday rolled around she locked herself in her room and cried almost the entire day each year. She stayed close friends with Derek, who had also been traumatically affected by the incident. Together they helped each other keep themselves sane. Eventually the two married and had a son whom they named Jonathan Hunter Able.

*

*Hope you enjoyed it. If you did, leave me a feedback and tell me what you liked and why. And if you didn't, leave me a feedback telling me what you didn't like, why, and how I can change it. I can't get better without feedback really. So thank you, and have a nice day.*

12