Harbinger Ch. 15

Story Info
The battle to kill a god.
3.2k words
4.75
11.4k
5
4

Part 15 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 06/08/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Nottsgrrl
Nottsgrrl
213 Followers

Lyara hauled herself onto his neck and sat behind the great horns on his head. Farkas followed her, then Aela, Vilkas and lastly, Ria. Odahviing took a few steps to the edge of the porch, and then with a mighty push from his powerful back legs he leapt into the air. For a split second, he seemed to drop, but then his wings caught the air and with a few strokes he soared high about Whiterun.

Lyara was grateful she hadn't just eaten, as she feared she may have lost anything undigested. As they swooped up, she felt Farkas hold onto her so tightly, she knew she would have bruises later.

Odahviing did not lie about the view. Soaring high above the terrain below, Lyara was able to grasp how beautiful Skyrim was, and developed a greater understanding of why the Nords wanted defended it so passionately.

The high altitude had a coldness about it, and the horns on Odahviing's head afforded little protection from the cold atmosphere. However, the advantage was that an impossible journey of a distance that would have taken at least two days on foot, was over in half an hour.

They landed at the entrance to a complex of stairs and platforms carved into the side of a mountain, which they would have to navigate to gain entrance into the temple.

"This is as far as I can take you," said the dragon as the Companions climbed off his neck. "I will look for your return ... or Alduin's." He added, as he took to the air.

The Companions headed into the complex, keeping an eye out for any allies of Alduin's that maybe patrolling the area. They headed in the direction of some large stairs they saw leading to a set of enormous doors. At the top of the stairs came across some Draugr, reanimated ancient Nord corpses that were guarding the doors. Their magic came in the form of blasts of cold but Lyara hung back with Aela and fired arrows with deadly precision while Farkas, Vilkas and Ria slashed at them with their swords, blocking the worst of the blasts with their shields. The team worked well together, and their enemies proved no obstacle.

Once inside the temple they met several more draugr, but these revenants faced the Companions, a group of skilled warriors, and their old bones and magic was simply no match. The final door had to be unlocked with a key, which they rested from the body of a dead draugr. When they opened the door, they saw a long walkway, at the end of which was a being unlike anything Lyara had ever seen before.

Aela gasped. "A Dragon Priest," she whispered.

Lyara had read about Dragon Priests in one of the books in Kodlak's room. Ancient priests of the dragon cult, they were given powers by the dragons, and once ruled over mankind as kings. The priest stood with his back to them in front of a swirling portal. Lyara turned to the Companions, and whispered.

"I think this situation calls for stealth, rather than brute force." She looked at Farkas, then Vilkas. "By the time you get close enough, he will have closed the portal, and probably killed you. Leave this one to me."

They all nodded in agreement, and hid out of sight. Lyara crept through the door, as silent as the dead that lined the temple. When she was in range, she quietly nocked an arrow and let it loose. Before the first one had even hit, she had a second one in place. She breathed out, aimed, and fired again.

Two arrows now stuck in the back of the priest causing him to stagger. He was severely wounded, but far from finished. She hid quickly behind a pillar and felt a definite drop in the temperature as the priest prepared his magic. She quickly darted from behind her hiding place, and fired another two arrows in quick succession. The power of her shot was enough to knock the weakened lich backwards. She took the opportunity to run forward, nocking another arrow as she ran.

She stood over the priest just long enough for him to look her in the eye. She fired an arrow straight through his forehead, causing the majority of his skull to explode. Shaking brain matter off her boot, Lyara whistled to the others the coast was clear. They joined her quickly, and the five of them stood and looked down into the portal.

A few feet below them was a swirling vortex that supposedly led to Sovngarde, the realm of Shor, the world of the dead.

"Er ... what now?" asked Farkas.

The Companions looked to Lyara for the answer.

"I guess we ... just jump in." She answered.

"I don't mind saying I am afraid, my Harbinger," muttered Aela. "But if you think we should jump, then I have faith that you are right."

Farkas grabbed Lyara's left hand, so Lyara grabbed Aela's with her right. Aela in turn grabbed Ria's and she grabbed Vilkas. On a nod from Lyara, they all stepped off the ledge into the vortex.

Lyara felt like she had only dropped a few feet, when she hit hard ground. The rest of the Companions landed next to her. The path ahead led down a few stone steps, then through some grassland. Lyara led the way, not quite sure where it would take them. As they progressed, they found themselves in a thick mist and Lyara found it difficult to keep her eye on the path.

"Keep close. I don't want to lose anyone in this mist."

There was the unmistakable roar of a dragon somewhere up ahead, and it caused Lyara's blood to run cold. She glanced up, but could not see anything other than the damned mist.

"Look!" exclaimed Farkas by her ear.

She looked where he pointed, and ahead of them on the path was the dark outline of a figure moving towards them. It looked vaguely human shaped, and as it got closer, they were able to see it was a Stormcloak soldier.

The shade approached them, and Lyara asked, "Who are you?"

"The troop I was with marched, unsuspecting, into an Imperial trap. We stood and fought until dawn's light, but I never knew if night's end brought victory -- a swift-flying arrow to Sovngarde carried me. I got lost in the mists trying to find Shor's hall."

"What is this mist?" asked Aela.

There was another roar above them, much closer this time.

"The World-Eater waits within the mist! He devours the souls of the lost!" And with that, the soldier ran off and was quickly out of sight.

The Companions continued along the path, and after crossing a small brook, they came to a large set of stone steps that rose up out of the mists. Lyara could make out the dark shape of a large building in the distance that had to be the Hall of Valor that Kodlak had spoken to her of. She wondered if he was in there somewhere.

She decided that they should enter the hall and seek advice or assistance within. At the top of the stairs, there was a bone bridge that spanned a great ravine and led to the Hall's entrance, however, blocking their way was a large Nord. In fact, he was enormous.

He was much taller than anyone in the group, even Farkas. He wore a wide belt, and a fur and leather kilt. His colossal muscular chest was bare and well developed, and Lyara couldn't help raising her eyebrows in appreciation. His arms were huge, each one as thick as Lyara's waist. He had shoulder length brown hair and bright blue eyes and wore a golden torc around his tree trunk sized neck.

He was not behaving aggressively, but Lyara assumed he was some kind of guard, and approached with caution.

"What brings you to wander here, in Sovngarde?" asked the gigantic Nord.

"I pursue Alduin, the World-Eater, and seek entrance into the Hall of Valor."

"No shade are you, as usually passes here, but living. You dare the land of the dead. By what right do you request entry?"

"By right of birth," answered Lyara. She stood as tall and proud as she could, and said, "I am Dragonborn."

"Ahh it has been too long since last I faced a doom-driven hero of the dragon blood. I am Tsun. Living or dead, by decree of Shor, none may pass this perilous bridge 'til I judge them worthy by the warrior's test."

The warrior's test? thought Lyara. That doesn't sound good. Surely this immense immortal wasn't expecting her to fight him? The giant reached on his back and pulled forward a giant two-handed axe.

Obviously, he does. She quickly thought it through. He wasn't trying to kill her, he was just testing her strength and ability, much like Vilkas had done the first day she had turned up looking for a place in the Companions.

"Do not interfere. This is my fight alone." she said to the Companions. Farkas did not look happy about it but he gave her a small nod to acknowledge that he agreed.

With a slight hint of a smile, Tsun started to edge towards her. Lyara released a shout that caused an invisible force to push Tsun back. This gave her enough distance to fire a few arrows, but they arrows bounced off his bare flesh as if he was made of stone.

She decided to use another shout. A jet of flame shot from her mouth, and she was pleased to see the immortal flinch. She quickly followed it with a blast of cold air, then swung her axe at him with all her strength.

Tsun blocked it, then lowered his weapon.

"You fought well, Dragonborn. I find you worthy. It is long since one of the living has entered here. May Shor's favour follow you and your errand."

And with that, he turned and walked back towards the bridge.

Lyara beckoned to her waiting friends, and they jogged across the bridge up to the doors of the Hall of Valor.

She looked at the faces of the Companions as she pushed open the tall doors, reverence evident on their faces. This is the place all Nords hoped to spend the eternity of the afterlife but Lyara imagined none of them had expected to be here quite so soon.

When they went through the doors, the bright warm light from within caused her to squint a little after the gloom of the mists outside. A few steps led to a large mead hall with a vast ceiling that soared high above them. Large windows would have offered a view over Sovngarde, had it not been for the mists.

A huge table was laden with food, wine and mead, and two fat hogs roasted on a large spit over the fire pit. Lyara could see many Nords wandering around the Hall, some eating, some sparring, and others seemed to just be contemplating their perpetuity.

At the bottom of the stairs, a large older Nord turned as they walked down. He had long blond hair, and was wearing ancient style armour, a mix of steel, leather and fur. His face looked familiar, but it wasn't until she got closer that she recognised him from his statue that stood guard over his tomb. This was Ysgramor, one of the first Nords to land in Tamriel. After the native Snow Elves destroyed the early settlers, Ysgramor formed the army known as the Five Hundred Companions, the start of the guild that still operated today, although in much smaller numbers.

"Welcome Dragonborn," hailed the legendary leader. His keen eyes scanned the Companions in front of him.

"It is good to see that the Companions are still made of the finest men and women of Tamriel. You all do honour to my legacy."

Lyara glanced at Farkas. Ysgramor was a hero to the Nord people as a whole, but she knew that he had a personal fondness for the legendary creator of the Companions. She could not help but smile at the wonderment on his face.

"Our door has stood empty since Alduin first set his soul snare here," Ysgramor said, his voice serious. "By Shor's command we sheathed our swords and ventured not into the vale's dark mist. But three await your word to loose their fury upon the perilous foe. "

He turned his head, and indicated towards a group of three warriors. Lyara recognised them immediately as the three heroes she had seen defeat Alduin in her vision.

She thanked Ysgramor, and made her way over to them, the rest of the Companions following as they stared around at their miraculous surroundings. As they past the large dining table, a fierce looking warrior stood up and spoke to them.

"Seek you food, or song unending? Fighting, drinking, fellowship or boasting? Find welcome here, and warm your soul."

Lyara nodded thanks, and continued towards the three heroes who now stood waiting for her.

"Honoured comrades," Lyara called to them. "I seek my destiny and the life of Alduin World-eater. I would welcome your assistance in this endeavour."

"For a hundred lifetimes my heart has burned for the revenge on Alduin too long delayed," said the valiant Hakon as she approached.

Felldir joined them. "Alduin escaped us long ago. Today we take our well-tempered revenge," the mage added grimly.

Lastly, the fearless Gormlaith spoke up. "The endless wait gives way to battle. Alduin's doom, his death or ours!"

"Hold comrades," cautioned Felldir. "Let us counsel take before battle is blindly joined. The mists thwart our attack, but with four Voices joined, we can blast the mist and bring him to battle."

"Felldir speaks wisdom," agreed Hakon. "The World-Eater, coward, fears you Dragonborn."

Gormlaith unsheathed her sword and shouted a battle cry.

"To battle, my friends! The fields will echo with the clamour of war, our wills undaunted."

Lyara shared a look with Farkas and the other Companions. Roused by Gormlaith's words, they all looked eager to join the fray. The group jogged out of the hall, and across the bone bridge. As they passed Tsun on the stairs leading to the edge of the fields, he gave them a blessing but made no move to join them.

"The eyes of Shor are upon you this day. Defeat Alduin, and destroy his soul-snare."

The mist swirled around them, and she could hear Alduin calling. He seemed close, but first, they needed to remove the mist. Lyara used a shout meant to clear the skies. The heroes joined her, and their combined Thu'um cleared away the mist.

They heard Alduin speak in the language of dragons, and to their dismay, the mist returned.

"Again as one! Alduin fears us," cried Felldir.

"LOK VAL KOOR!"

Once again, Lyara and the heroes used their shout to clear the skies, but Alduin used his magic to bring back the mist.

"Does his strength have no end? Is our struggle in vain?" Hakon shouted desperately.

"Stand fast!" Answered Gormlaith. "His strength is failing! Once more, and his might will be broken."

In her increasing frustration, Lyara hoped Gormlaith was right. For a final time, they combined their shouts and Sovngarde was visible once again, and this time the mists did not return.

The enemy flew towards them, screaming his frustration.

Lyara immediately let forth the Dragonrend shout. Alduin was forced to land, and was instantly under attack from the brave Companions and heroes. Aela and Lyara fired rapid volleys of arrows, and Ria and Gormlaith played a dangerous game trying to distract Alduin, while the twins and Hakon attacked at the rear.

Alduin was getting more ferocious as he realised that he was actually under threat, and used his remaining magic to bellow a great jet of flame at his aggressors. Lyara watched in horror as Ria was caught in the deadly blaze. She fell to the ground, her skin a horrific mixture of black and red. Remnants of her armour smouldered and crumbled. Aela and Lyara dashed to her aid, as Alduin spun around to attack the warriors annoying his rear.

Lyara was concerned for Ria. It didn't look good for the young Companion. She didn't have time to heal her as she knew they could not let up the attack. Distracted by her concern for Farkas, who along with his brother was trying to stab the beast while avoiding the snapping jaws, Lyara didn't notice the dragon's tail as it swept towards her from behind Aela. Before she had an opportunity to warn her shield-sister, it smashed into the Huntress's arm, breaking the bone in several places.

This had to end, thought Lyara. Now.

Lyara picked up Ria's sword, and ran alongside the weakening dragon. Gaining some speed, she vaulted up behind the giant dragon's head. Unfortunately, she didn't get a secure enough hold before Alduin began to violently shake his head, trying to dislodge the wood elf.

Against the odds, Lyara managed to hold on, and climb higher on his neck, but unfortunately she dropped her sword.

Farkas saw her run and leap onto Alduin's back. He knew what she intended to do, and for a second thought she would succeed, but he saw her drop the sword as she struggled to keep hold. Once she had a more secure position, he ran dangerously to the dragon, and shouted her name.

"Lyara!"

Lyara looked down at her husband, and saw him throw her his sword and she reached an arm out to catch it. While flying on the neck of Odahviing, she had noticed that directly behind the horns that spanned the rim of the dragon's skull, was a patch of skin unprotected by scales. A weak spot. As the sword left Farkas's hands, Alduin roared in frustration, and swung his huge muzzle straight into Farkas, sending the big Nord flying.

Farkas's weapon was a large two-handed sword and Lyara mustered her strength to wield it. She stood up, and with exquisite balance stood on the spine of the dragon. She drove the sword down as hard as her tired muscles were able.

The sword punctured the thick leathery skin and Alduin bellowed in agony. With a final grunt, Lyara put all her weight on the sword, and prayed to Shor that they would win this day. The blade sunk to the hilt, penetrating under the edge of the beast's skull, straight into his brain.

Alduin was defeated. With a final blood-curdling roar, his massive lifeless corpse fell with a resounding thud, and it threw Lyara off to the side. She was winded for a moment, but after gasping a great lungful of air, she noticed she had landed only feet away from Farkas.

She called to him, but he didn't answer. Dread turned her blood cold, when she noticed that his eyes were staring blankly up at the sky. Tears already forming in her eyes, she scrambled towards her lover, and reached him seconds after Vilkas. As she dropped to her knees at his side, she heard Vilkas cry out in grief. His brother was dead.

Nottsgrrl
Nottsgrrl
213 Followers