Heather in the Highlands Pt. 04

Story Info
Heather and James' lives takes a turn for the worst.
13.3k words
4.87
10.5k
1

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/18/2022
Created 08/09/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 1.

It had been a long a bitter winter for Heather McCreadie even though she was safely underground. The girl woke after every 'sleep' praying this would be the day he'd come to see her. Even a shouted word or two down the vent pipe would be a start but all she'd endured was silence.

Heather sighed and dressed herself, wearing what was still her favorite of Jenna's outfits now it seemed to be getting warmer again. The black thigh length one, adding the high heels that she had got used to over the years. The ghosts ensuring that little of her stuff wore out once replaced in the wardrobe. Now she slipped next door for a drink and her breakfast. This of sliced bread and...well today it would be honey as she'd had jam yesterday. A look in the other jar and yes, the level was back to the top.

She sat down and not for the first time recently Heather McCreadie began to cry. The tears flowing as she remembered the fine summer days, especially those of last year. When James had brought her up beyond the hatch and she'd discovered the castle hall had been turned into a dining room. A table and two chairs with champagne and a picnic feast. It'd been lovely to sit in fresh air and eat though she did wonder what the occasion had been for.

Trying to be happy on discovering this was her five-year anniversary took a monumental effort. Even James realised he'd made a mistake as her face crumpled. At one point he thought she was going back down, unable to face it but as usual Heather proved her fighting spirit as she finally smiled. "Yeah, but as I've said it's better than the alternative! Get the wine open pet." Going through with the meal...and what followed downstairs afterwards. Now she'd just be happy to hear his voice as it felt like months rather than weeks since he'd left with her screams ringing in his ears.

That had been traumatic enough for her, as she'd become used to the limited freedom he'd allowed her. With the front access door locked Heather now had the run of the castle during the summer months. He'd even created a studio upstairs in the tower for the girl to sit and do her drawings. But the last two visits had not gone well, and when James hadn't returned having forced her belowstairs after the second it somehow worried Heather that maybe he'd abandoned her after all!

The first of the two he'd arrived but seemed a little distracted, plus the weather hadn't helped. Heavy rain and a bit windy and he'd apologised saying he was busy and couldn't stop long after all. They'd planned a whole day and now it'd been spoiled, James saying that there was a chance of some very bad storms coming through the area in the next few days. "This is nothing love to what they're forcasting," explaining that the remains of a bad hurricane were crossing the Atlantic and due to hit the whole of Scotland head on.

While this happened a few times a year, this particular hurricane had caused devastation on the Eastern seaboard of the States and Canada. Many people had died despite warnings and now it was coming this way. "Well Claggan's probably survived worse," she quipped. Only for James to scowl at her. "Yeah, but for those of us up top it's not so easy to deal with." Which might be a little harsh on Heather but she paused then apologised for being flippant. He gave her a cuddle and did the same, but told her she should spend the next couple of days packing up the tower studio please. The girl dreading the winter to come as it might mean she'd...have to remain under the hatch for up to four months.

She'd agreed to do that, got a hug then started after he'd gone. Emptying the cupboards and carrying the lightest of the chairs and stowing them in the manacle room. But the weather didn't let up and the wind got so bad she was not able to get the heavier bits down the slippery staircase. So when James returned, this time in a really wound up state they had the first row in years. "Bloody hell love, I did ask for everything to come down, and all the way too. Not the manacle room but in there!" he said pointing to the first of the rooms by the hatch staircase.

Now Heather knew he'd said no such thing and protested. It wasn't her fault and he hadn't told her. "Right well come on," he urged, leaving her behind while he went to the tower letting Heather move the bits downstairs from the manacle room. Unfortunately she tried to do this wearing heels. He found her tottering slowly along the corridor, almost falling over as she changed the snaplocks and James lost his temper. Snapping at her to hurry up and get into sensible footwear.

"What's the hurry love?" Heather asked having changed into sneakers. The girl alarmed on finding out that the storm wasn't decreasing as expected. This would be the first direct hit of a hurricane for over a century. "I've got a lot on my plate so don't need to worry about you as well. There's even talk they're gonna start evacuating parts of the Western Isles, Oban and Ft William in the next twenty-four hours. Any low-lying coastal bits are in danger. I've got a whole bloody farm to sort out, plus Wally needs help. Now get moving!" he barked, slapping her backside none too gently. That was too much for her and instead of going faster Heather petulantly began to slow down.

It took him a few trips to realise she was playing up despite his repeated urging, seeing her unpacking boxes rather than shifting the next lot and took action. Catching her bending down he grabbed hold of Heather's arms and snaplocked both wrists behind her back. She screamed at him to stop but the lad threw the girl over his shoulder then carried her into the bedroom and dropped Heather on the bed, holding her one-handed as she tried to resist.

Grabbing the chain from the wall with the other he wound it round the frame a few times till only a short length remained then attached it to her collar. Removing the other one off her leg as she tried to kick him. He smirked telling her to stop struggling then secured her ankles together. Leaving her lying there unable to even sit upright. "THAT'S for misbehaving! You had enough warnings. If you shut up wailing missy I might free you before I have to leave. Got it?"

That did break through her rage at what he'd done and Heather just lay there sobbing as he walked out of the room. Slamming and bolting that door too. All she heard over the next hour or maybe more was him moving stuff around, up and downstairs until he returned and came in. Seeing her distraught and helpless, her eyes red with tears. She didn't even flinch when her wrists were freed then her legs. Miss McCreadie waited till he'd put the chain onto her ankle then freed her neck and got up. Ignoring his outstretched arms offering an apologetic hug then walking past him to go and use the toilet. "OK, suit yourself lassie," he said shortly. Heather didn't reply and left him standing there.

Coming back she made a half-hearted attempt to apologise. Stopping when James said this time he'd have to put the hatch down on her. "No," she replied, her face paling by the second. "I'm honestly sorry for playing up, I just didn't think. Please don't...just lock the corridor and the front one instead. What if it floods down here? If only the first door is done then I might be able to break it down or... well...just...don't leave me down here," she whispered clutching his arm.

But he wasn't in the mood and refused. "Sorry but I cannot risk it Heather. The drains are perfectly adequate. Now I need to go." Then turned and walked out without offering her a kiss. Quickly she followed, changing snaplocks but he was faster. Passing the passagway door and flinging it shut in her face. She screamed at James not to do it but the echo of the bang drowned her voice. The bolts were slid across then a key secured her inside as she continued begging him not to leave.

Instead he passed through the manacle keys and told her to remove her wrist and ankle cuffs. Heather paused and he said if she didn't hurry up then they'd remain on her limbs. Now the girl complied, unlocking each but instead of passing them one at a time she gathered the four and stuffed them through the bars together then bounced the key off his head as he'd bent down to pick them up!

"You don't care about me anymore," she wailed as he came up, eyes blazing with anger. He couldn't understand why she was doing this. Didn't she realise the danger he was in? The drive back to Braemore was going to be treacherous enough and he could feel the stronger breeze even down here. "Perhaps I care too much," he retorted and turned away.

Ignoring her banging both fists on the door as again she pleaded not to be locked downstairs. Calling him a bastard and other rude names as he hurried upward trying not to cry. He couldn't help it as her voice taunted him so he let the chain run freely instead of through his hands. Cutting off the hysterical last screams as it slammed down on the girl he still loved whatever she did or said.

James cried all the way home, only the fact it was pouring with rain as he did the gate did he manage to disguise this once drying off in the kitchen. June was concerned but he fobbed her off saying one of the gates had slammed on his fingers. Showing her the marks actually caused by punching Claggans' walls in a rage on the way out. Ordering the castle ghosts to look after his beloved Heather...or else.

Chapter 2.

That was the last time he'd visited and she was convinced it had been her fault after all. She spent so many hours over the next few days just sobbing, praying to the ghosts. Even they seemed to leave her alone and at one point for the first week the boxes didn't refill themselves and Heather had to start a rationing plan. Candles too burned until she was down to the very last one. That night she went to bed and prayed that whenever he did return that she'd do anything he desired.

Next morning Heather awoke, just the one candle barely alight with an inch to go, flickering in the breeze that seemed very strong considering where she was. But she could see the others had regrown and quickly she lit them, sobbing with thanks as things got brighter. Once dressed she went next door, checking the boxes and her heart surged to see they were full again! Since then she'd prayed every day for James and his family.

Today Heather did the washing up then was about to head into her sitting room when a familiar sound reached her. Moments later she was delighted as the hatch chain began to run, squeaking slightly as it obviously hadn't been oiled for ages. The girl trembled and reached for the corridor chain, almost forgetting how to clip it on her collar. "It's been that long dammit," she growled, her emotions all over the place but trying to put a happy face on as footsteps came slowly downstairs.

Not the usual hurry however and he looked through the bars to see her standing there. "All secured?" he asked and Heather was shocked. Not even a flicker of emotion or recognition and despite this she nodded. He couldn't still be angry after last time? The door was unlocked and bolts drawn back then he pushed it open. James walked slowly back into her life yet STILL he showed little, carrying a couple of bags of stuff to add to her supplies. He brushed past and went into the kitchen, dumping them on the table, hearing Heather's heels clicking behind him as she followed.

"James, love...is something wrong?" she asked, shuddering when he froze. The guy turning towards her then he almost seemed to collapse. She rushed forward and caught him, easing the guy over to the bench and got James sitting down. "Ouf..." he said, his breathing a little ragged and Heather's heart gave a jump...as she'd once been that way herself. Surely he wasn't...ill?

He looked up into her beautiful face, his own trying not to show the pain, but she knew. Taking his ice-cold hands into her own. "James, is it...that?" she whispered and he nodded as she sat alongside.

"Yeah," he said, feeling her shaking as it struck home. "I got the results yesterday. Even Kelvin doesn't know yet, nor does mum. She's been over with Jen for a fortnight, but coming home tonight, our lassie popped out another rug-rat a week ago." And that was a surprise, as Heather didn't know his sister had been pregnant. Normally he kept Miss McCreadie up to date on family stuff and that surely would have been told.

So how long was it since his last distressing visit?

"I'm sorry it's been so long Heather. In fact I'd better level with you right now, but we'll do it next door in...your bedroom please," he said, gripping tight. They went and sat down and the tale emerged.

Heather McCreadie managed not to faint on finding out it was summer...the FOLLOWING year! "It's been that long?" and he nodded. Yep, eight months actually and its now July. Going on to say that 'up-top' they'd just endured the worst weather for decades. "Possibly you honey, were the safest person in Scotland down here. Especially during that October hurricane." She nodded, clutching his hands and immediately apologised for what she'd said back then.

"Yeah, I must do the same for what I did to you, I kicked myself for days afterwards. Guess the ghosts gave you some grief?" She nodded wryly and their lips met for a long kiss and they both wept as the couple held each other tight.

She was appalled to hear about the damage across the country. Four hundred dead, many thousands injured and property damage running into billions. "We lost the roof off the large barn and another was written off...the small one where I found you," he said, the girl blushing on remembering that night. He did too but apart from that they were sheltered in the valley and had escaped the worst.

"Poor Wally however has lost everything. Thank goodness I was able to rescue him as his place was exposed out on the hilltop. We'd moved his stock into our spare barn so the animals made it but I had to drag him away at the end, he didn't want to leave. Just as well I did because the farmhouse...just vanished, only the floor-base remains. He's staying with us now. Lives in Jen's room till his insurance pays up. He was supposed to retire years ago leaving the place...to wee Martin, my mate who died in the crash in 2006? Now we're not sure what's gonna happen to him."

Heather sat there fiddling with her dress as the tale continued. "I'm so glad I'd altered the vent system so your air came from the new one inside the castle walls. The pipe outside would surely have been well under the umpteen-foot drifts that have blanketed the high moors. I screwed it shut or you would have had white stuff blowing out of there, coulda made a snowman on yer carpet," he chuckled wryly knowing Heather loved snowballing. They'd had a session in Ft William with the other girls after their 'engagement walk'.

"It started days after the hurricane. That's why I didn't come back, we were too busy with Wally and rescuing others. Even now there's still a lot that hasn't melted. Never seen snow lying here in July for Petes sake."

She did mention that at one time she'd needed to block the original hole up, the first time it'd seemed painfully cold blowing down despite the top being shut. Needing to wear the old dress over her normal clothing AND use all the spare blankets. James replying,"it hit –28C not ten miles from here, guess it was that night. I really panicked, worrying 'bout you." She tried to smile. "Thanks, sorry but I really cursed you that time. But please honey...what's up with you now then?"

He paused and she trembled as a painfully familiar story emerged. Pains, aches, tiredness coming and going after Christmas. James couldn't afford time off the farm and dared not say anything to his folks. "Pride go'eth before the fall? Then I did big time out in the yard two months ago. Wally was there and said I just stopped, got out of the jeep and went down like a sack of feed. He thought I'd had a heart attack, think it nearly gave him one too!" he quipped, trying to cheer Heather up though he guessed she knew what was coming.

"So I was carted off to Inverness. Spent a week being prodded and probed in places too uncomfortable to mention in polite company. They found nothing. Bloodwork showed zip according to them. But I wasn't convinced. So once back at Braemore I spoke to your Dr Chalmers, you remember her love?" Heather nodded. "Yeah Lucy was...is great...and?"

"She drove all the way to see me. You didn't know she was ex MOD?" and Heather looked amazed. "Well she is, and she tested for various contaminants having remembered me...and came up trumps. Only it's something that hasn't been known here...since WW2. That's why your cancer got missed. Now...it's my turn. I've got the same bloody problem you had...and she's warned me we've gotta keep it secret. If it gets out, then the whole of this part of Scotlands' in deep trouble," he said at last.

Heather gasped, surely he couldn't be serious. "It's not infectious, but Lucy will have to answer some very awkward questions if or when it worsens. Like how she and I know each other. The fact she knew you. She's sure MOD would find that out too easily if I went back to hospital, so...it looks like...I'm going to have...to well, leave and go die quietly somewhere instead."

Miss McCreadie burst into tears, thinking that maybe it'd been Claggan that had poisoned both of them instead of saving her. "But James...you can't do that!" she said, gripping tight in case he left straight away. The thought he'd lock her down here permanently was too horrible to contemplate. These last eight months had been hard enough. Knowing he'd NEVER return...no chance and she waited a few minutes before speaking.

Chapter 3.

"Well I've got an idea. Daft as it sounds but I need you to think carefully before you refuse," she said after a long thought. "It's a multi-part thing" and she asked the following...

A. Was Lucy aware Heather was still alive, had she asked James what had really happened to her?

B. If not, would she believe James if he told her the truth, bringing Dr Chalmers to see for herself?

C. Would she, to avoid implicating herself again...cover up James own disappearance?

D. If she agreed, was James...prepared to come and live here at Claggan full time?

E. Would Kelvin and June go along with this having discovered Heather was still alive?

"Well you certainly have thought this out. How long?" he asked. Not surprised Heather had wondered right from day1 whether her illness had been caused by what she'd done. "Guess I've had time to mull it over honey," she said and a smile touched his lips. "But it's too late to worry about it now. I guess if I took this chain off, I'll be dead within minutes." she replied, touching the snaplock on her collar and for a moment James thought she'd undo it. "No!" he barked, making her jump as she hadn't meant to get that close.

He apologised, she said nothing but looked puzzled when James reached into the other bag and pulled out her wrist cuffs. Asking her to put them on and she paused, surely this was hardly the time to start playing games. "Please Heather, just do it," he sighed unlocking them. She shrugged and applied each one, securing them then returning the keys after repeating this for her ankles.

Maybe I'm going upstairs, she thought, though as James was dressed in a heavy jacket and trousers with boots too she wasn't sure. He'd said it was summer up there...

Once done he ordered her to wriggle across the bed and allow him to snaplock her down. "James love, surely this can wait...?" Heather said but was unprepared when he took her arms then started pushing the girl down. "Alright... I'll do it. Just WAIT A MOMENT!" she snapped, for the first time in ages becoming scared of him again.

Heather now shuddered as she lay back. The 'snip' of each one binding her to the bed was not pleasant today and she was worried at what was happening. That more so once he'd spread-eagled her, as James then produced material, swiftly hands grabbing her jaw and applying the gag, forcing it deep into her mouth, muffling squeals as Miss McCreadie naturally began begging him not to...