Hello Again

Story Info
An unlikely relationship eventually blooms.
6.4k words
4.32
11.2k
3
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 1

Resting on the sofa with thoughts tumbling through her mind, Di Stewart realized that she might be close to being in love with Hugo Salter.

That surprised her because while she periodically thought of him, Hugo had disappeared from her life with little more than just the one kiss passing between them whereas some males she'd been associated with before and after Hugo had exchanged full-on um whatever.

It must be love, the nubile beauty and final-year education degree student exhaled, dealing with the curiosity of her discovery and opened her raised hands, palms uppermost, in a gesture of frustration.

The truth was she has no idea where he was and thought he could be on a discovery tour deep in the depleting Amazon forests or even at home in a bed-sit attempting to tame his out-of-control wife. Also, she'd never before felt emotionally close to a male around her age and that included the males she'd have indifferent sex with, or for that matter, lively and joyful sex.

She sighed and guessed why Hugo image had popped up in her mind.

She was in her final weeks of classes before graduation from university and had been thinking of her new career, once she completed additional educational and professional qualifications, and perhaps then a prospective future husband might just appear with great timing um 'out of the blue'.

Di thought wistfully she'd probably marry a school teacher and settle into a mundane life with planning for three kids and a sound financial future. She grimaced, thinking how boring while acknowledging that was how educationists were generally perceived.

She frowned and decided to stop wasting her time dwelling on marriage when that prospect was perhaps years off. One step at the time was the way to go.

A week later, Di began packing her bags to travel to the city of Bath where she'd spend six days socialising and playing as a member of her university's senior women's cricket team against five other teams from universities in southern England.

It was likely a few of the players in the tournament, perhaps only a couple, would eventually play cricket representing England, or if they were international students, they might end up playing international cricket for the country of birth.

That night, Di thought in greater clarity about the time Hugo had arrived at the boarding school five years earlier where she was in the lower sixth-form. He'd been hired as temporary assistant to the over-worked swimming coach.

Hugo had embarrassed her immensely in front of her friends in his second week at the school when declaring he wasn't interested in coaching Di because he couldn't understand a word she was saying because of her 'affected speech'.

She was mortified and called her mother for a figuratively shoulder to cry on.

Her mother was on the board of trustees, a likely successor to the current chairman of the board. She arrived next day to sort out the 'misunderstanding'. She spoke to the headmistress, Ida Mason, and the pair descended on the delinquent assistant to the swimming coach during his lunch break.

It didn't end well.

There was a heated exchange.

Hugo stubbornly stood his ground and was told by Headmistress Mason he had the option of resigning from his employment forthwith or wait to face the formal process of dismissal.

Two women watched the assistant coach walk off after saying 'As you wish'. Emily Stewart said, "Well at least he didn't become nasty.

"Agreed and I'm sorry we've lost him." Ida said. "Although he's been here less than a month, already he was achieving some excellent time trial results and has pleased the director of sports coaching observing his coaching methods."

Emily ignored that and said, "I can't believe he contradicted me when I said Di took after me and possessed what it takes to become a swimming champion. He had the audacity to rudely say that what I thought she would succeed at in sport had no relationship to reality and he'd recommend she try cricket as she moved well and had a strong eye."

A little upset at the result of the confrontation, Ida said dryly, "Nevertheless Hugo was swimming champion in 100 and 200 backstroke and freestyle events in his final year at his boarding school and exceeded the 32-year record for most runs scored at senior level in a season by an amazing 85 runs."

Emily frowned and smiled, "Oh, well perhaps I should suggest to Di that she tries to get into a cricket coaching squad and work for selection."

"Emily, I'm aware Di has a strange accent but it couldn't be described as a 'plum'.

"It's my fault really, from the age of 2 to 13 she had a succession of three live-in Welsh nannies."

Three days after that incident at boarding school, Di was emerging from a dentists' rooms in the nearby market town and bumped into the former assistant coach. The sight of his tan and dark curly hair made her fingers curl.

He smiled and said, "Oh, hello again."

Christ, it was him; was this destiny, she thought romantically.

"Oh goodness, hi Hugo. Err, I'm sorry my complaint ended up with you being sacked."

"No, it's okay. I was given the opportunity of resigning and that means there's no big blot on my work record. If it wasn't you it would have been someone else. I apparently lack skills in dealing with people. Also, I'd become fed up with dealing with giggling virgins and the dictatorial rule that hovered so depressingly over your centre of learning that inhibits individualism, flair and freedom."

"Hugo, I regret to shatter your misconception but many of we senior students are probably not virgins."

"And you?"

She fluttered her eyelids and her face became a deep shade of pink.

"Omigod, fancy being asked that and by male."

"I would have thought my question, 'And you?' was innocuous enough?"

Di giggled and said he was right.

"My mother said you recommended I try to join the squad receiving cricket coaching. The training coach Miss Malcolm said after putting me through a basic trial that she believed I had natural ability as a bowler and added me to the senior reserves squad."

"Ah, I bet she also noticed that you had longer arms and legs than normal for girls of your height. You should grow into becoming a real beauty as well as a successful fast bowler Di and I recommend you practise short sprints and work on your upper body strength. Well, good luck for your final two years at boarding school and then at university. I intend to enrol for drama coaching and hope to become more adept at interpersonal relationships."

"I'm sure you'll do well and will become a fine, handsome actor Hugo. May I kiss you goodbye?"

"Christ Di, you are in school uniform and know your headmistress' rules about behaving properly in public."

"Fuck the rule, I want to kiss you," Di said recklessly and kissed him on the lips.

"Bye Di," Hugo said, pretending to wipe his lips and glanced at her speculatively.

"Bye handsome," she replied confidently.

Di, early in the role of a ripening peach not yet ready emotionally to be plucked, watched him stride off and looked as if wild thoughts were racing through her mind romantically.

* *

Four years later, Di Stewart played in a students' inter-university sports tournament and competed in the final of a 20-over cricket round-robin. Her team lost the final, despite Di finishing with an impressive tally of 5 wickets with only 27 runs scored off her bowling.

At the prize-giving at the concluding function of the summer events, she received the shield for the best bowling performance. She was watching the presentation of the trophy for the best batting performance to the student in the winning team who's scored 83 runs off 21 balls in the final overs when a guy arrived at her side and said, "You well-deserved that cheap trophy Di."

She turned and smiled and for a moment didn't recognise the guy in a hat and sunglasses but then cried, "Oh, hello again Harry Salter."

"More or less," he replied unruffled.

Di realized her mistake and said, "Oh apologies, you're Hugo."

"Indeed, I am, and probably you're no longer a virgin because you've learned to speak properly, in fact impressively."

"Watch yourself arsehole," she giggled.

At that point Hugo was called to the stage to receive the prize for the winning side's coach.

"Stay here, I'll return," he said, and Di replied her feet were anchored to the floor.

He arrived back with his award, a pack of four bottles of donated cider, and attempted to swap that 'bull's piss' with Di for her bottle of Northern Rhone Syrah.

"Get fucked. But I'll allow you to taste it."

"What the wine?"

She giggled and told him not to be so crude.

He protested for making the accusation but it was obvious they were simply sparring.

"Take me to a café for dinner and share my wine."

Hugo looked decidedly interested and told her to give her a minute and dashed off with his cider to try to swap and returned smiling with a bottle of Spanish red that neither of them were familiar with.

"Most Spanish reds are drinkable," Di said encouragingly. "Should we wander off now?"

"Are you still a virgin?"

She smiled and said that was for him to discover.

Hugo said, with almost indecent haste, that he was up to that challenge.

"Omigod."

They looked at each other and began holding hands as if sex between them was meant to happen.

At the café, they explained where they were at.

Di had just completed studies for a Master's in Education had signed up for a flat with other female students in Wembley who also had enrolled to gain their Postgraduate Certificate in Education. While at university she'd been recruited to teach English at a secondary school in West London in the new school year.

Hugo explained he'd attempted to enter a drama training school but panicked at the gathering for initial interviews when he seemed to be surrounded by gays and weirdos in the waiting room and fled before he'd been called to be interviewed.

"Oh, how disappointing for you," Di said, holding back laughing.

"Not really, I believe I did the right thing. I was scared."

Laughing, Di said, "Then are you still drifting along lost?"

"No," he said indignantly. "I went home in the Midlands for cheap living and spent two years as a day student at university studying for a BSc (Hons) in Business Management, and then spent most of the third year establishing myself in business working for branch of a national firm big into freight forwarding and freight deliveries. I continued playing cricket and acquired a number of friends, male and female."

"Then I became an on-line student with my former university and completed my degree eighteen months later in an accelerated programme that ruined any chance of a night and weekend social life. Four months ago, I won a job with a London courier company, resumed playing cricket and rebuilt a social life and was promoted to assistant operations manager with my company six weeks ago."

"Oh, that's lovely Hugo, you've made excellent use of your time and brain since that last time when we met."

"Yes, and that was when you kissed me in full view of everyone in Market Street."

"I'm surprised you remember that moment."

"Oh, I've reviewed that moment perhaps fifty times."

Di fell silent.

"What?"

"Hugo, you have no idea about how I felt when thinking I'd never see you again. I-I..."

"... you'd become attracted to my brain and coaching skills?"

She laughed awkwardly and confessed, "For the first time in my young life when I kissed you I experienced passionate thoughts about the body of a male."

Hugh became more that interested, and leaning forward slightly said, "Christ, Di I had no idea."

"I know and for a time I've almost in despair when your image reappeared in my mind after long breaks and..."

Di's phone rang and she reached for it, apologizing.

She answered after glancing at the screen and said 'Hi mum'.

Her mother answered, loud enough for Hugo to overhear.

"Don't panic darling but your paternal grandfather has been rushed to hospital after suffering a possible stroke."

"Omigod, how's dad taking this?"

"He's understandably shaken and is on his way to the Acute Care Unit at Cheltenham General Hospital. Where are you?"

"I'm still in Bath. The cricket tournament ended earlier this evening and we finished runners up overall. I'm dining with a chap you may remember, from five years ago, Hugo Salter."

There was no hesitation from her mother.

"What, that creep? You know I had him sacked from his coaching job over his completely unacceptable dismissal of you over your somewhat awkward way of speaking arising over exposure to your Welsh nannies. Walk out on him now, I don't want you near him. No, come home immediately - I need you here; you'll know I was upset before you delivered your disturbing news."

"No, I'll finish dinner and then will come to you mother. And please butt out of my love life. You and dad are nowhere near the level of a classic example of a perfect married couple and so why should I listen to you about who I associate with?"

Emily began sobbing and Di said firmly, "Bye mum, I'll be with you in a few hours."

Di cut the call and was putting her phone away when Hugo said softly, "Perhaps you should go now?"

"No, I've learned not to give into my mother's wheedling ways. Moreover, she rather dislikes her father-in-law for reasons I can only speculate although he's never tried to fondle me. I will go to her, but not in a rush. I had better stop drinking wine as it's Saturday night and the police are bound to have a trap or two in place to catch drivers impaired somewhat by excessive alcohol intake."

"That's good thinking. I had been hopeful that I would be romantically involved with you later this evening. Perhaps some other time. Right now, you should be thinking family because it's the only family you are likely to have until you establish your own."

"Thanks for being understanding and sympathetic and I have to say I had no thought of letting you have sex with me tonight."

"Hopefully, I'll get a piece of you in time for our mutual enjoyment. The timing is good because I'm not dating anyone at the moment."

"Well I have no regular boyfriend and actually I rarely do. Either I'm plain unlucky or I have been unconsciously saving myself for you. May I have your card to contact you?"

"Sure," Hugo said, handing over the card enthusiastically. "It's business details on one side and personal details on the other."

"Oh, you live in Clapham."

"Yes, it's near where the courier company I work for is based. My third-floor flat is within easy walking distance of Clapham Common tube station. If you visit, from where you live is an easy journey with just the one change at Charing Cross."

"Ooh, I'm invited to inspect your humble abode."

"Yeah and it's reasonably roomy with just one bed, king-size."

"Ooh, and please don't overlook inviting me to stay for a dirty weekend."

"Boom-boom; bring it on Di!'

A few minutes later they left, Hugo driving Di to where the teams were accommodated during the tournament.

During their hug before Di left Hugo's small SUV, his hand dropped on to her thigh and she quickly repositioned it over her left breast.

"Wow," he said, gripping a handful of firm flesh

"The boom-boom is my heart rate," she laughed, totally relaxed.

* *

One Friday night Hugo was on his tiny balcony having a quiet beer waiting for a visitor to arrive.

His heart leapt when looking down he saw a woman towing a wheeled travel bag - clearly it was Di - crossing the street to the entrance to his flat above shops.

He stood and waved just as she looked up and spotted him and he yelled, "Hello again."

"Boon-boom," she called, cupping a spread-open hand around her mouth to help transmit her call against the competing sounds of busy inner-city life. "Stay, I'll find my way to you."

"Don't dawdle," he yelled.

Hugo waited at the head of the stairs, fists clenched tensely Di, panting and almost breathless, appeared before him on the landing and fell into his arms, moaning there was no lift and he muttered, "Christ, this is Clapham, not Canary Wharf."

She pushed out her face and was kissed.

"That was heavenly," she said, straightening.

"You are so beautiful," he responded.

"Omigod, that was the nicest compliment possible. You devil, you know how to get what you want."

"What is that?" he asked innocently, sending her into giggle tinged with uncertainty.

Her host rose to the occasion and said, "A cuppa and then we'll go out for a meal."

"Oh, yes please; you know how to greet a person who's had an intense working day and travel through London during the rush hour."

"Ah yes, and your induction year into teaching has come even closer," said Hugo, filling the tea pot with steaming water. "How are you coping?"

"It's been bit stressful thinking about it as I aim to do everything correct and avoid doing or saying anything stupid. I'm aware the children I'll face will believe I know next to nothing because I'm a novice at teaching apart from practical classroom work to gain my professional teaching certification."

"Di, you have the formal education and all of the required personal attributes to do well. My guess is you'll be the type of teacher that your students will long remember and you'll cruise along with a happy smile on your face knowing you to are succeeding in a worthwhile profession."

"Omigod, how can you know the right words with the right emphasis to relax me with my corrosive concerns?"

"Since you called last week to renew contact, I have read some articles in the Internet about becoming a high school teacher in the UK today to find out what you would be going through."

"Omigod, you do have sensitivity."

"Who said I didn't?"

Di flushed and Hugo said triumphantly, "Ah, your mother!"

She nodded and croaked, "Tea please."

He smiled, pouring the tea and said, "It's okay, once a bitch always a bitch and I point out that's not quite the same as bluntly calling your mother a bitch."

"Oh really?"

They laughed.

Two hours later when they were walking arm-in-arm back to the flat after dinner, Di said softly, "My mother said before I left home this morning that since I was sleeping with you - um that was her assumption that I chose not to correct because I know my mother and it would be a waste of time - she said and, I quote, 'I suppose I should invite him to dinner, please invite him'."

"Jesus."

"Hugo, please don't get angry because I'm having such a lovely time with you. No way do I want you to have dinner with my family because I know it will end only one way, with blood on the floor - either hers or yours."

"Oh really?" he said sarcastically.

"Um that was a really trendy restaurant and great food and presentation. I had no idea what to expect in Clapham today, being familiar with its reputation from earlier days in my reading of historical literature."

"How the hell are we talking about café grub and historic stuff when we were talking about your mother's invitation."

"Um it's difficult to say."

"How can it possibly be difficult to discuss keeping on track conversationally?"

"Um, I began to become alarmed and had to divert away from my mother's invitation."

"Why, do you have knowledge that your mother intends to feed me poisoned pig meat?"

"What? No, of course not and in fact none of us at home like pork."

"Then why the diversion?"

"Okay but please don't be angry with me. I changed the conversation abruptly because I realized that if you became angry about my mother that might prevent you attaining and maintaining full erection and spoil our evening."

Hugo turned to grasp a pole displaying a parking sign and held on, convulsed in laughter. He spluttered, "Oh how cute; until now I really had no idea how you prioritise your thoughts."

12