Hell's Gate Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Except he couldn't get up this time, and rolled onto his back, his breath coming in heavy gasps as he looked up at his to-be-killer advancing on him with a sword in one hand, and bloody mace in the other.

In Taint's left periphery, he could make out a shape struggling to get to its feet, and all around him he could perceive more and more vague figures materializing as if out of thin air. He smiled as Raphael continued to advance; his only focus was on the demon and not on the army slowly coming into existence all around.

"First time for everything, I suppose," Taint shrugged to himself.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Raphael grunted, raising the point of his sword, ready to bring it down on Taint's skull.

"I just thought you Archangel's were supposed to be undefeatable."

Raphael grimaced, "We are..."

Then his eyes went wide and the words caught in his throat as his head went flying from his body to land a few feet away. A silver sword, dipping with blood was thrown aside as leather-clad arms shoved the short, tank-like body of Raphael off of Taint.

"Are you ok?" Olivia asked as he struggled to his feet.

"Fine, Little Angel," Taint nodded, "Though I think he cracked a few of my ribs."

"Maybe more..." Olivia muttered, leaning in to inspect his wound. The armor around it was dented but not destroyed, with a few holes punched through from where Raphael's spike-covered mace had managed to do some more damage.

"Missed the party, I see," Wraith's loud voice called from a short distance away and Taint limped toward him.

"I'm afraid not," he said and pointed toward the sky.

In the distance, five flying figures were rapidly advancing on the newly-arrived army. The other Archangel's had clearly been drawn by Raphael's death, and were now prepared for a fight fueled by revenge.

"If we can bring down one," Taint told the other Gatekeepers, who had come to join he and Wraith, "Then we can bring down the rest."

"This isn't what I wanted..." Olivia said mournfully, more to herself than to anyone else, staring grimly at the wide-eyed stare of Raphael's head. Then she turned to the Gatekeepers, "But I know what could help."

The Lord's turned to her and she spoke quickly, "Raphael was mad about something going on at I think Clava's castle. He blamed it on me. Something about Hell's Gate opening. If we can keep the Archangel's busy long enough to find out what Clava's up to, maybe we could find some way to show them what the real threat is."

Taint didn't have time to think over the suggestion. Olivia had said something about Clava being behind Hell's Gate opening, and that was enough for him.

"It's worth a shot, at least," he said, "Slake, Wraith, you're with me. The rest of you, stall the Archangel's for as long as you can. If we start taking heavy losses..." he didn't finish the order, but it was implicit. Switch from stalling to killing.

Turning to the side, Taint raised his palm and opened a portal in the air large enough for him, Slake, Wraith, and Olivia to walk through.

"Good luck," Peril and Hazard said and then turned with Magus and Fulmen toward their army to start giving orders.

"Come on," Taint said, and led the group of four through the portal, leaving the army behind. It was bad for a general to do so, but he knew that whatever was going on at Clava's castle was worth his attention. He also knew the other Gatekeepers would stay true to his orders until they could no longer, at which point Taint hoped they would not be completely decimated by the vengeful Archangels.

******************************************************************************

{Hell's Gate, Morning}

Slake was exhausted. She had spent all night and morning shielding an entire army of demons from the eyes of Archangels. No amount of magic borrowed from Magus and Fulmen made the task any easier, and she was sure she would collapse at any minute.

But her Lord need her, so Slake gritted her teeth and walked through the portal when Taint ordered her to, taking a small modicum of power from it as she passed through. It would not be enough to kill even a goblin, but she needed something to prevent her from feeling completely naked and exposed.

Once on the other side of the portal, she let out a mournful sigh at what she faced. She was joined by similar moans from both Wraith and Taint and a pitiful sound from Olivia as they too noticed what Clava's castle had in store for them. Slake almost wished she had stayed behind to face the Archangels.

Not one hundred feet away, legions upon legions of demons were marching in unison toward a very large, very open gate. They were all of the same species; large, muscular brutes with thick red skin, horns on their heads, and hoofed feet. Taint used them as prison guards, but Clava valued the species for their ferocity in battle which is why she used them as guards and soldiers. And they were headed straight into the Spirit Dimension by the thousands, unimpeded.

"No!" Olivia shouted and started running toward the advancing army.

Taint swore and grabbed her arm, roughly bringing her back to the group, "There is nothing you can do on your own," he growled then yelled loudly, "Clava!!"

"Do you really think that is wise?" Wraith questioned cautiously, but it was too late.

Someone cackled a short way's off, and then there was a flash of red light and the Keykeeper was standing in front of them, one hand on her hip, the other on the hilt of her dagger.

"What have you done, Clava?" Taint snarled angrily, gesturing toward the Gate and holding Olivia's hand tightly.

The demoness smiled, "What my father was too cowardly to do. I've opened Hell's Gate and will now take the sparkling paradise we demons have been denied for too long. Isn't that what it looks like?"

"You took an oath to protect the Gate," Taint said, "Not let all of Hell waltz right through. How did you manage to open it anyway?"

"Revenge is a powerful motivator," Clava explained, "It makes traitors out of anyone. Even lofty leaders of Archangels."

"Michael!" Olivia gasped, "Where is he?"

"Dead," Clava said calmly, "I killed him. His usefulness was short-lived." She turned her attention on Taint, "But yours can begin now, if you so choose."

"What do you mean?" Taint growled as Clava advanced on him with a wicked smile.

"I mean join your Keykeeper in her conquest and take your place at my right side. You have always been my favorite Gatekeeper," she placed a palm on his chest, "And most powerful."

"I do not betray my oaths," Taint snapped and pushed Clava away roughly.

The smile never left Clava's lips as she glanced up at the sky toward where the Archangels were doing battle with Taint's army. "Then die," she said, "It does not matter to me."

She vanished with another flash of red, and Taint let out a shout of rage. "Damn her!"

Slake had watched the exchange warily from a short distance away, not wishing to get involved in her weakened state. She felt hopeless as she watched Clava's army continue to march through the Gate. There was nothing they could do now except wait as the Spirit Dimension was destroyed by the demons and Hell by vengeful Archangels...

Something suddenly clicked in Slake's mind and she turned toward the rest of the group, "Olivia, can you get the Archangel's attention?"

"What?" the Angel was still seething from learning about Michael's treachery, which Slake understood, but had no time for.

"Can you summon the Archangels somehow? Do you still have enough power from the Wall?"

Olivia thought for a split second then nodded, "Yes, I think so. But why would you want to do that?"

"Why did we come here in the first place, you silly girl?" Slake rolled her eyes, "To convince them of the real threat," she gestured at the Gate, "Well, here it is!"

Taint bobbed his head in agreement, "She's right. Olivia, you have to get the Archangels here. We have to try and show them this. Hopefully they will see reason and abandon Hell for the time being."

Olivia nodded firmly and said, "I'll try," then raised her fist above her head. After muttering a few words of magic, a bright white light lanced from her fist high into the sky.

It did not appear to do much to Slake except create a bright beacon, but after a moment there came a loud clap of thunder that shook the ground. All around the beam of light, smaller spheres of light formed; five of them. They grew larger and larger until they were no longer balls of light, but five large, armored men holding bloody weapons and sporting impressive sets of wings; the remaining five Archangels.

"So you wish to die on your own time? And not with your army?" one of them said. He had long, flowing blond hair, golden armor and an extremely handsome face. A large long sword was clasped in his hands, dripping with blood.

"No, Uriel," Olivia said, lowering her fist and looking up at the Archangels, "Look around you. I am not the threat here."

They glanced toward the Gate and let out a collective shout of anger.

"Who has done this!?" one shouted, another handsome face with long, brunette hair.

"Clava, the Keykeeper," Taint explained angrily, "She and Michael."

"It's impossible!" another Archangel exclaimed, this one Slake recognized as the one who had attacked Taint's castle, "Michael would never betray us."

"No one could have opened the Gate without his key," Olivia pointed out, "Clava used him and then killed him once she had what she wanted. Now you must go protect the City of Angels. Seek revenge some other day."

Slake smiled at Olivia's intelligence. She knew the only way to get the Archangels to abandon their warpath was to promise them a chance to continue sometime in the future.

"The Gate must be closed," Uriel said, shifting his long sword in his hands nervously, "We cannot protect the City from an unending stream of demons. Even our power has its limits. We would be no match to all of Hell."

"Let us worry about the Gate," Slake offered, "You have to go. Now!"

"She's right," the Archangel with the bow, Raguel, said, "We cannot stay here. We shall return though, and you will pay for Gabriel's death."

He led the charge, swooping into the air and racing toward the Gate. Demons were still pouring through it, but faltered as they saw the Archangel's overhead. One of them shot a powerful beam of magic into the ranks, doing little damage but scattering the large beasts, causing a moment of confusion.

Slake watched this for only a second before addressing the group again, "We've taken care of one problem, for now, but we still need to fix this one," she pointed at the Gate, "We need to close it."

"How?" Wraith asked, "Only Michael and the Keykeeper can open it. One's dead and the other is long gone by now."

"You're right," Slake nodded, "Only they can open it. But there's nothing saying we cannot close it."

Everyone frowned at this. "We are only three demons and an Angel," Wraith said, "There is no way we could close the most powerful door in the entire Universe by ourselves."

"We can try," Slake said, "Though I need more power..."

Taint nodded once and began quickly stripping off the armor on his right arm, baring the pale skin beneath. "Here," he said stepping up to Slake and offering her his right side, "On the shoulder. There is a ruin, activate it."

Slake found it and reached up, frowning beneath her hood. She had never seen the marking before, and she knew she had not placed it there for Taint. Touching it, she gasped as power immediately surged through her body, flowing up from where her fingertips rested against Taint's flesh.

She pulled away, feeling stronger and sharper than she had ever felt before, "Where was that this morning when I really needed?"

"One time use only," Taint explained, "Very powerful; very rare."

"Thank you," Slake said. And she meant it. Her body felt strong and her mind was clear. Best of all, she had a plan, and enough magic coursing through her veins to enact it.

"What now?" Olivia asked, sounding very apprehensive. The Archangels had long since disappeared through the Gate, and Clava's massive army kept marching, though they could now see where the ranks ended.

"Grab my arm," Slake said, and held it out for them, "All of you."

Three hands grasped her and with a crack they vanished, materializing a moment later in the middle of the demon army, directly in front of the Gate. Slake wasted no time, and let out a powerful spell that pushed the demons back from where they were standing with a powerful blast. She also formed a massive wall of crackling black energy to cut off the advancing army.

"That was amazing," Wraith admitted, adding a low whistle.

"Thank Taint for the power," Slake said, "But it won't last long. I need you to listen. Olivia, you need to stand just inside the Spirit Dimension," she pointed at where the grass was trampled, but still green. Some demons were scattered here and there from where Slake's blast had sent them, but they were paying no attention to them, and instead were scurrying away as fast as they could to join the safety of the rest of their company.

Olivia moved, standing where Slake was pointing. "Here?" she asked and Slake nodded.

She addressed the two demon Lords next, "You two, start pushing on the Gate's doors when I say so."

Taint and Wraith exchanged quick glances before hurrying off to the giant stone slabs that had swung wide open. They were hidden from Slake's view, but still within earshot. Snarls and growls could be heard coming from the other side of the giant wall of energy, but Slake paid them no attention. She had to act fast or risk losing the opportunity to close the Gate.

"Olivia," she said loudly, positioning herself fifty feet away, facing the Angel from Hell's side of the Gate, "I need you to will the Gate shut with your magic. Don't worry about the words, just do what your heart tells you to. I will do the same from this end."

"But won't I be trapped here if I shut the it?" Olivia asked, sounding very worried, "I don't want to leave Taint behind."

Slake shook her head, "Trust me, Olivia. Everything will be fine." She hoped. "Taint! Wraith! Start pushing!"

She heard the Gatekeepers grunt as they began pushing against the doors. Raising her arms, Slake began to chant in words she had never heard or read before, but somehow knew were the right ones. The Gate wished to be closed, it was its purpose to remain so, and Slake was sure that the magic imbued in its structure would provide her and Olivia with the necessary incantations.

On the other end of the Gate, Olivia was chanting as well. Her body was enveloped in a soft white light, and Slake wondered if that meant her spur of the moment plan was working. She got her answer a few seconds later with the loud squeak of rusted hinges sounded from either side of her.

The doors were moving.

They were shutting the Gate.

Slake continued to chant with Olivia while the Gatekeepers continued to push with all their might against the doors. Moments passed before she could see the corners of the large stone slabs in the periphery of her vision, followed by the straining arms of the demon Lords, who had both stripped to the waist and were gleaming with their efforts.

"Keep pushing, Wraith!" Taint shouted, "We're almost there!"

And they were. Olivia was framed by the closing doors for a brief moment until she was suddenly blocked from Slake's view. Then, with a loud thud and a click, the Gate closed.

There was silence, and then a sudden, loud rushing sound that blocked out all other noise. Slake could feel the magic drain from her body as the Gate sapped all energy from its surroundings. The wall of energy vanished, but the demons behind it remained still, powerless to move. The Gate was reactivating its locks, sealing the boundary between the Spirit Dimension and Hell once again, and using any magic it could from nearby.

Taint looked worried having seen Olivia sealed behind the heavy stone doors. But Slake knew of a long-forgotten defense mechanism possessed by Hell's Gate and Wall. One she had read long ago when she first came to Hell, and had only just now remembered, her memory aided by the energy supplied by Taint.

"Touch the Gate!" she shouted over the rushing sound, "Yell out to Olivia to touch the Gate!"

Taint looked utterly confused, but he must have heard Slake over the sound of the Gate, because he laid a palm flat on the stone surface then yelled something at the crack in the doors.

The rushing stopped as suddenly as it had started. There was a flash of blinding light, a loud crack, and then silence again. Slake collapsed to the ground, exhausted and utterly drained of energy. She vaguely felt someone pick her up with powerful arms, and was sure she recognized the face that looked concernedly down at her before she blacked out completely.

******************************************************************************

{Unknown Location; Night}

Olivia was on her back. It was dark and raining, and bright lights were shining from above. She felt the ground beneath her, finding it rough to the touch, wet from the rain.

She struggled to her feet and looked around. Close by she could see Wraith and Taint standing near each other.

"Olivia!" Taint called and she started to make her over to him, trying to adjust to the dark conditions.

Before she could make it halfway though, two circles of light suddenly appeared to Olivia's left, and approached her rapidly, growing by the second. Something screeched, and the lights slowed briefly before something hard slammed to the Angel and threw her backward through the air until she landed heavily on her back.

Olivia heard a female voice swear loudly, and a door slam as she struggled back to her feet. The impact hadn't hurt nearly as much as hitting the hard ground had, and Olivia was sure that she would have another few bruises to add to her already battered body.

"Damn it!" Taint said loudly, "I was afraid of this."

The female who had sworn was shouting something hysterically as Olivia made her way back over to the Gatekeepers. The lights, as it turned out, were shining from a large metal machine that had a badly beaten front end from where it had run into Olivia.

"What is that?" she asked Taint, who jogged up to meet her, his skin wet and shining in the lights, "Where are we?"

"It's called a car," he explained, embracing Olivia firmly before turning toward Wraith and a pretty young woman with short brunette hair who was looking very scared and confused, "And that is a human."

"So that means..."

"Yes," Taint nodded, "This is Earth."

"Now what?" Olivia asked, completely at a loss. She had never been to Earth, like most Angels and knew very little about humans other than they closely resembled her own species.

"Now we find somewhere close by to regroup and think this out," Taint explained, "Wraith! Grab the witness. Knock her out if you have to. We can't leave any trail."

Wraith mumbled something, and the human woman fell silent and limp in his arms.

Although she was glad that they had managed to close Hell's Gate, Olivia knew that their troubles were just beginning. Clava was attacking the City of Angels, her father was still missing, and now she, Taint and Wraith were stranded on Earth; with an unconscious woman no less. They would need to be careful and work fast to get home. Earth was no place for demons and Angels. Humans were a backward race that would be of no help to them.

But she was with Taint, and for that, Olivia was eternally grateful. For some strange reason she had fallen in love with her lordly captor and knew that whatever happened next, they would get through it together.