Helping Hands

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dr. Weber got up and said, "Always remember, this is a family, Zack. Not just us and Cass, but the entire community. Any little squabble can became a scandal in some peoples' minds and that's how business takes a nosedive. I spent a lifetime building up this practice and you have to treat it like a relationship because it is. Follow me?"

"Yes, sir. I do," he said finally understanding how serious this was.

He'd been wanting to call Kendall all morning and the next time he had a free minute he sent her a quick text. "Hey there. I had an incredible time last night. Been busy all morning. I'll call as soon as I have some time. Zack."

A minute later he got a reply that read: "Me, too. Listen, I think we need to talk—in person. Please let me know when you have some time okay? K."

Zack had never before heard those words from a woman. Nevertheless, he knew what they meant. He was so taken aback by her reply he wasn't sure what to say in response.

"I have lunch in a couple of hours if you can get out this way. Otherwise maybe tonight?"

Her reply read, "I need a bunch of stuff so we'll head your way. Oh, Barrett's back, btw. His meetings got cancelled so I guess we'll see you soon. K."

"Shit," he said out loud. Zack didn't avoid profanity, he just rarely used it gratuitously. He looked at his watch and knew he had to see several more patients so he got up and got busy.

He was with Mrs. Jameson and her cat, Dotty, when Cassandra poked her head into the examination room. "You have a visitor, Dr. Bartlett." Her voice was tight; the message curt.

"Okay, little Miss Dotty should be just fine," he told the 82-year old woman.

"Oh, thank you so much, Dr. Bartlett! I don't know what I'd do if I lost her, you know."

Zack stood up and saw Kendall through the window in the door and wanted to go directly to her, but Mrs. Jameson was going on and on and on about living alone and her cats—all six of them—being her entire life. He listened patiently all the way out to the front until he could turn her over to Cass to handle the payment.

As he passed Mrs. Jameson off, he saw Cassandra boring holes through Kendall was looking at whatever was on the shelves around her.

"Hey, there," he said trying not to startle her.

"Oh, hi Zack!" she said pleasantly as she turned around. "I haven't been in here for quite a while."

"Has anything changed?" he asked as he walked toward the door with her.

"Well, there's a cute young doctor working here now," she told him. "Other than that...not so much."

They walked across the street to a small cafe and Zack ordered a sandwich with a diet Coke. Kendall said she wasn't hungry but did let him buy her a cup of coffee. When it came, she thanked him for it.

"So...what is it you wanted to talk about," he asked with no small amount of trepidation.

She put her hand on his and said, "Zack, you're a really great guy and you know how much I like you, right?" He didn't answer so she continued talking. "I had a really great time last night, but I think maybe things got a little carried away, you know? I'm not saying I don't want to go out again, I just think maybe we should you know, take it slow?"

Zack knew better than to say what he was really thinking. Instead, he smiled at her and said, "I'm willing to go as slowly as you need me to, Kendall. I just need to know there's a possibility of something more than friendship at the end of all the waiting and taking it slow."

She looked into his eyes and said, "To answer your question directly, yes, there's a chance. But last night scared me, Zack."

"You said something similar then, as I recall," he said forcing a smile. She was still holding his hand so it wasn't a total bust. At least not yet.

She smiled at him and said, "I've gone out maybe a half dozen times or so, but last night was the first time I've felt actually something—anything. Well, other than feeling I wish the date was over." She started to laugh but when Zack didn't even smile, she stopped. "Sorry, I'm not trying to be silly. I'm just...nervous. It's crazy, but you make me nervous."

"Scared and nervous. I'm not exactly hitting it out of the park, am I?" he said trying to sound cheerful.

"Zack? The truth is, I like you. I...I really like you. I just don't know yet whether I like you because you make me laugh and because we've been friends for so long or if...I like like you." She tried to gauge his reaction before continuing, "Until last night, I've never thought of you as anything but this sweet boy who was always so helpful and so charming. I mean, you're obviously a very good-looking young man, but I've never once looked at you...like that...until last night. Then suddenly my young friend, my...helping hand...is kissing me."

"It wasn't that bad, was it?" he asked trying to smile.

She looked down at their hands on top of the table and said, "No. And...that's the problem." She saw Zack's puzzled look and said, "Last night was supposed to be fun. You know, reminiscing, lots of laughs, good food, and maybe a hug goodnight."

"Are you unhappy that I kissed you?" he asked seeking clarification.

"No. Just the opposite. But that's what doesn't make sense to me." She looked back up at him and said, "You turned my whole world upside down when you kissed me, Zachary. A fun time turned...romantic. I wasn't expecting that and I definitely wasn't expecting it to have the effect it had on me."

"Effect?" he asked still probing for information.

"I didn't sleep last night. At all. I just laid there thinking about what happened between us. It was so confusing, you know?"

Zack wanted to say, "No, I don't know" or at least, "No, not really," but he held his tongue again.

"I guess that's why I'm scared."

"Because you're confused?" he said feeling totally confused himself.

"Yes! Well...no. I'm not scared because I'm confused, I'm confused because I'm scared."

This time Zack couldn't resist so he said very seriously, "Oh, okay. Well...that clears it all up!"

She pulled her hand away then playfully pushed his back toward his side. "Stop! This isn't funny."

"It's kind of funny," he said. "Confusing but still kind of funny."

"Zack! Don't tease me." He could see that look again in her eyes as she said, "I...I realized I do have feelings for you and that's what scares me."

He was tempted to make another quip but knew to leave well enough alone. He reached out for her hand again and as she went to give it to him she pulled it back and said, "Are you going to be nice this time?" He nodded so she gave him her hand.

"I told you how I feel about you last night, Kendall. The way I've felt about you for a very long time." He saw her not just looking at him but...studying him as he spoke. "No, that's not true. I didn't tell you everything. I only told you that I have feelings for you." He put his other hand on hers and held it with both of them. "Kendall, I'm pretty much...well, to kind of keep things light—-crazy about you. I know you don't feel the same way about me, but as long as I know there's a possibility...a chance...that you might...someday...then I can wait as long as it takes."

She sat there and stared into his eyes for several seconds before saying quietly, "There is a chance, Zack. I'd say maybe even a very good chance."

The server brought his pastrami on rye and laid the check beside it. Zack took a bite and when he could manage to talk while he chewed said, "Is there anything else? To talk about?"

Kendall shook her head and just said, "No. Nothing else."

Zack asked her what she was buying in town as a way to change the subject and the mood lightened immediately as she explained what she needed. They spent the next twenty minutes just chit-chatting then walked back over to the clinic together.

They spotted Barrett up by the counter and Kendall called out, "Oh, there you are! I thought you'd gotten lost or something."

He turned around and said hello to both of them then turned back toward the counter. He was leaning over and chatting Cass up in a big way. Cassandra was positively beaming in between some laughing and even a giggle. "Sure, I'd love to!" she said as Zack and Kendall got closer.

"Why don't you guys join us?" Barrett asked.

Kendall looked at Zack then back at her brother. "Join you when and doing what?" she asked.

"I just invited this beautiful young lady to go riding this Sunday. Seems it's her only day off and I find myself smitten with her beauty and charm."

Barrett was laying it on thick, but since Cass was eating it up, neither of them said anything. "Well, that's up to Zack," Kendall said. She looked around him at Cassandra and said, "This guy should always have supervision when he's with a beautiful woman." She looked back at her brother and told him, "I'm in if Zack is."

"Well, Cassandra can look out for herself, and I'll have to take your word about Barrett. But a chance to go riding on a Sunday during the summer? Count me in for sure!" he said.

Barrett was collecting Cass's phone number and other information as Kendall walked over to Zack's office with him. They stepped inside and Zack said, "So did we accomplish anything by talking?" as he reached for his lab coat.

"Here, let me help you with that," she said. He held out one arm and let her help him put in on. "You look so handsome in your white coat," she told him. As he turned to face her she said, "Even more so than usual." There was a moment of pure electric tension before them as Kendall stepped back slightly and told him, "I think we accomplished quite a bit."

"Anything specific?" he asked her as he sat on the corner of his desk.

She moved closer and said, "Uh-huh." She ran her hands up and down the lapels of his lab coat and said, "I'm not scared anymore."

"Of me?" he asked as he put his hands on her upper arms.

"Of my feelings," she said very quietly as they were just inches from one another. "I've never been afraid of you, Zachary." She moved even closer then whispered, "I was just afraid of the way I feel when I'm around you now."

He ran his hands up and down the length of her arms and seemed to be kind of pinching her or something. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"I'm verifying," he said very seriously.

"Verifying?" she asked.

"Uh-huh. You mentioned the way you feel when you're around me and I just wanted to know exactly how you feel." He kept 'feeling' her as she again burst out laughing.

She put her hands over her mouth as she did and said, "You see, that's the thing I love about you the most!"

She immediately realized she'd just used the 'L' word even though it wasn't a part of something as out of place or inappropriate as 'I love you' and stopped talking.

Zack moved closer again and said, "I can't think of anything...not one single thing I don't love about you, Kendall." He brushed her hair back and saw that look in her eyes again.

Now it was her turn to lighten the mood again. "Mmmm. I know what you're thinking," she said very seriously and seductively.

"You do?" he asked as he touched her cheek. "What am I thinking?"

"That...you want to kiss me." Before he could actually kiss her, she broke into the Miss Congeniality routine again and said in that silly sing-song voice, "And you want to hug me and to love me and to smooch me and to..."

Kendall yelped when Zack pulled her close and said, "You're much better looking than Sandra Bullock and I DO want to kiss you and to smooch you and to..."

Kendall's lips melted into his and for the first time he tasted the tip of her tongue before her offering his to her. "Wow," she said after. "You really are an amazing kisser."

"I'm also pretty good at...smooching..." he broke into the routine and said, "and hugging, and loving and..."

Kendall laughed loudly again then put her arms around his neck. "Now that I'm not afraid of my feelings for you..."

Zack raised his eyebrows and waited for her to finish. She stared into his eyes and said, "Well...maybe next time you could come inside after a date."

"I'd like that," he told her as he again brushed her pretty hair back.

"So would I," she said coyly as she went to kiss him.

Just as their lips met they heard Cassandra clearing her throat. "Sorry," she said. "Your next two patients are waiting for you, Dr. Bartlett."

She was smiling brightly so whatever had happened between her and Barrett had changed her mood completely. "Okay, I'll be right there, Cass," he called out.

"Sorry for interrupting," she said while looking at Kendall with another big smile. "Take your time. I'll stall them 'til you get there."

"Looks like your brother's charm offensive has really paid off," he told Kendall.

"I'm glad. I can't afford to be worrying about my handsome new boyfriend being stolen away by the much cuter, much younger Cassandra now, can I?" she teased.

"She is young, but I have never in my life met anyone cuter than you, Kendall. Ever." She went to speak but he didn't give her a chance. "Honestly? I have never seen a woman as beautiful as you. Not even close."

"Talk about scoring big points," she said as their eyes danced with the other's.

"And I didn't miss the fact that you just referred to me as your boyfriend." She tried to talk again but he kept going. "I only hope that doesn't mean you still see me as a boy who's just a friend."

She pulled herself closer to him and said, "Um...not anymore," then kissed him. It wasn't outwardly passionate, but the kiss was as long and slow and romantic as any kiss could be. "So...I guess I should let you get back to work, huh?" she whispered in his ear.

"That's probably smart," he told her softly. "It's not my first choice, but it's probably the best choice."

"So do I have to wait until Sunday to see you again?" she asked as she looked into his eyes.

"I hope not," he told her honestly.

"I'm not a bad cook," she told him.

"So I've heard," he said as he held her close.

"It's true," she replied. "I could make dinner for us tonight."

"I'd like that. Very much," he said. "Do you make fried bananas for dessert, by any chance?"

"Not exactly," she told him. "But dessert can still be something...sweet."

Zack felt himself growing hard and couldn't believe it was happening right then and there and just as she pushed up against him to kiss him again. He knew she felt it and expected to hear something like, "Is that a banana in your pants or are you just glad to see me?"

Instead, he heard her moan softly and say, "That feels nice." He felt her push back against him as she kissed him. "Mmmm. Really nice." She lowered her arms and said, "See you tonight?"

Zack nodded his head. "Definitely."

"Okay. See you then," she said. She kissed him quickly one more time before walking out.

Cassandra was back at the counter and as Kendall walked by said, "It was really great seeing you again, Mrs. Kelly."

"You too, Cassandra and please call me Kendall, okay?"

"I'll do that. So I guess we'll see each other on Sunday?"

"Yes, we will. I'm really looking forward to it, Cassandra," she said pleasantly. She turned and waved goodbye to Zack who was very thankful to be wearing a long lab coat.

"Okay, Cass. Who's up first?" he asked looking at the exam rooms.

Cass's mood had done a complete 180. She was happy, pleasant, cheerful, and maybe even positively radiant.

"It's none of my business, but it seems like you and Barrett hit it off pretty well today," he said after finishing up with another family dog in for an annual checkup.

Cass smiled and said, "Well, when you can't be with the one you love..."

"Love the one you're with?" he said filling in the words to the old song. "He seems like a nice guy. Maybe a little too nice."

"Ahh! Look at you being all concerned about me. That is so sweet and so...Zack Bartlett. But I'm a big girl, Zack. I can take care of myself. Besides, if I can't have the strong, silent type, fast and dangerous isn't a bad second choice."

"I hope I didn't hurt you in any way, Cassandra. You really are very special to me."

"Thank you for checking on me, but I'm fine. I'm actually very interested in Barrett. I'm sure he's not the 'settling down' kind of guy, but I'm not exactly ready to do that yet, either." She smiled then added, "At least not with a guy like him." She grabbed her clipboard, spun around, and went out to the front desk.

Zack called him mom to let her know he wouldn't be eating at home and although he could tell she didn't want to ask she couldn't help herself. "Are you seeing Kendall again by any chance?"

"I am," he told her. "I really like her, Mom. She's pretty amazing."

"She is a nice girl, Zachary, but she's a lot older than you. You need to keep that in mind if you're going to continue seeing her."

"I know you don't want me to get hurt and I love you for that, Mom. But that kind of age difference isn't the big deal it used to be."

"Don't you want to start a family someday, honey?" he heard her ask in a way that screamed, 'I want grandchildren!' He couldn't blame her. Grandchildren would help fill the emptiness in her life.

"Mom, she's not that old for goodness sakes. She's only 35."

"Thirty-five?" he heard her say, her voice rising very high. "That's ten years, Zack."

"Yes it is, Mom." He didn't say anything else and his mother finally let up.

"Okay, so I guess I'll see you when you get home."

"Yes you will," he told her politely. "Bye, Mom."

Zack did want kids but he'd always thought about them down the road. Way down the road. But if things did go well with Kendall...she'd be 36 so...

He sat there wondering how he could have spent SO much time thinking about her and never once thought about something that important. Then again, having a child at 37 or 38 or even 40 wasn't a big deal anymore, either. Satisfied with his answer, he moved on to his next patient.

His satisfaction didn't last long as he started thinking about his living arrangements. He made more than enough to get his own place now yet he was still living at home in the room he'd grown up in. That had to change—and soon.

Before leaving for the Kelly Ranch, he'd managed to get in a good workout and was able to let go of all the stress that accumulated from thinking about things he'd never thought of and Kendall was the only thing on his mind.

As he pulled in, Barrett was pulling out. He rolled down his window and said with a smile on his face, "I've been asked to leave the premises."

"I didn't mean to run you off," Zack said as he got out of his car.

"It's okay. I called Cass and we're gonna hang out, too."

"Sounds like a plan," he told Barrett as he started to head toward the porch.

"Zack?"

He stopped and turned around and just stood there.

"I don't know what's going on with you and my sister, but I've never seen her so happy before. Not even when Robert was alive. She really likes you, bro. Just don't hurt her, okay?"

"Never," he told him as Barrett nodded before driving off.

As he reached up to knock, the door opened and Zack's arm was still up in the air. "Well, hello there," he said as he lowered his arm.

"Hi there yourself," she said smiling at him. "I've been waiting for you."

"I'm not late am I?" he asked as he walked in.

"No, I was just anxious to see you. That's all."

"Something smells wonderful," he said inhaling deeply through his nose.

"It's probably the garlic on the French bread," she told him as they sat down in the living room. "You know, to go along with the lasagna I made."

"You are quite the cook, aren't you?" he said as he looked at.

"You're staring," she said sweetly.

"How can I not?" he replied. She was wearing a navy-blue knit top with a white stripe around the neckline and each sleeve around the wrist with a white skirt and white sandals with 3-inch heels. Kendall didn't need makeup to make her beautiful but when she wore it she went from beautiful to breathtaking. "I didn't think you could be more beautiful than you were last night, but...wow. Just...wow!"