Here for You Ch. 15-17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Can I help out with anything in the meantime?" Elle asked softly. "With River? Or at the diner?"

"I can't think of anything yet," he muttered. He hadn't slept in twenty-four hours and he was completely exhausted.

She took his hand and led him towards her bedroom. "Sleep here. I'll wake you up in a couple of hours, okay?" He didn't argue; he walked straight to the bed and was out like a light when his body hit the mattress. Elle shook her head and helped him to take off his boots and socks before leaving him to rest.

In the living room, she took her phone and called Zoe. "Do you think you can crash at Lizzie's tonight?" she asked and explained the situation with Ben.

"Sure, I'll stay over at Liz's tonight," Zoe said. "How is he holding up?"

"I don't know. He had only been here for five minutes and already looked like he was about to drop on his feet," Elle said. "He's sleeping in my room now."

"Okay, call me if you need me," Zoe said and they hung up. Elle cleaned up around the apartment as quietly as she could so that she won't disturb Ben. Glancing up at the clock, Elle thought she should start to prepare dinner so that Ben could have something to eat when he woke.

The gravy she was making for the mashed potatoes was just about ready when Elle heard Ben's phone ringing in her room and him answering. She pulled out the grilled chicken that she was keeping warm from the oven and plated it just as Ben came in.

"Hi, baby," she greeted. "Perfect timing for dinner."

Ben rubbed a hand against the side of his neck, his expression awkward. "Elle, I'm sorry I have to leave."

Elle looked at him. "What, now?"

"Yes, that was Karen," he said, holding up his phone. "She was crying and panicking; I have to go check on her and to make sure River is okay."

"Can't you at least eat something first?" she asked.

"Don't worry about me; I'll grab some food on the way," he said. "I'll make it up to you, okay?" He gave her a swift kiss before heading out the door.

Elle stared at the closed front door. "Okay," she told the empty apartment.

***

The next four days passed by and Elle had barely spoken to Ben for over twenty minutes at a time when he would be pulled away to some family emergency. Karen depended almost entirely on him and Christine to organize the wake and the actual funeral; there were family and friends to notify, flowers to order as well as food from the local catering service. Ben would leave early in the morning and would only reach home late at night and he had stayed over at Karen's apartment on Tuesday night.

While Elle knew Ben was doing what he needed to do, she couldn't help looking forward to Thursday when this would be all over. She felt guilty and selfish, though; Karen had just lost her father and would need all the support she could get. So she didn't whine or complain, but to be supportive of Ben, constantly telling him that she loved him and listened to him when he told her about what happened during the weekend. She, in turn, told him about her work at the animal shelter and tried to ease his burden somewhat by going to his house every day to see Colt, gave it food and a wash and took it for walks. She helped with the pile of laundry he hadn't got around to do and cleaned up his house.

On Wednesday night, Ben called her and said, "Pack a bag, babe, I'm coming home." Elle let out an excited shriek and hurriedly stuffed a change of clothes into her overnight bag. Zoe flew into the room just then having heard Elle's screaming and thought she was hurt.

"I'm sorry, girlfriend," Elle said with a laugh. "Ben just called; he's asking me to stay with him for the night."

"No, shit," Zoe replied. "You're acting like you haven't seen him for over a year, not a few days."

"Come on, Zoe. I miss him!" Elle said. She sounded like a needy girlfriend, but this was the first time she had spent so many days not seeing Ben since the start of their relationship and she was not ashamed to admit it, lest of all in front of her best friend.

Zoe rolled her eyes and grinned. "Is the lover boy coming over now?"

"Yes. I think I'm gonna wait for him downstairs," Elle said.

"Whatever floats your boat, honey. Just give a shout if some sleaze makes a move on you; I'll be right down to rescue your ass," Zoe said and disappeared from the doorway, leaving Elle to pack the rest of her things in peace. Ben pulled up in front of her apartment twenty minutes later and Elle jumped into his arms as soon as he got out of the car, laughing.

"Hey, there, I missed you too," Ben said with a chuckle and kissed her right there and then on the sidewalk. They let go of each other and got into the car.

"How are Karen and River doing?" Elle asked as Ben sped off down the street.

"They're fine, for now," he answered with a sigh. "River was subdued all day, but he understands that his grandfather is in heaven now and he seems to be taking it all in strides. Karen is taking it harder, but I think she's going to get better. I mean, for River's sake, she has to get better."

"Yeah, I hope so too," Elle said.

"Christine is staying at Karen's for a couple of days, maybe more. I am thinking of having River over this week so that his mother can take a break," he said. "I hope you don't mind."

"Of course I don't mind, Ben," she said. "Is he coming over tomorrow then?" she asked.

"Yeah, I am thinking of fetching him from school tomorrow. We will drop by Karen's house to pack his clothes to last for a week," he said.

She nodded. "I went for a little shopping yesterday and I saw this children's book about dogs. It's a little difficult for River's age, but I figured we can read it to him."

"You really are going to spoil the kid," Ben said.

"It's just a book, Ben," she replied.

"The origami papers? The coloring books?" he reminded gently.

"At least they're not mindless toys," she said. "And they hardly cost a thing."

Ben shook his head and smiled. "When we were preparing James' funeral, River gave me a small mason jar filled with colorful paper animals. He said he wanted it to be buried with his grandfather so that the animals can accompany him to heaven." He shot her a quick glance. "He said you told him that."

Elle felt her cheeks heated. "Um, there's something I need to tell you. River... he figured out his grandfather was going to die, even before Karen told him. He was worried and sad and I didn't know what to tell him because I didn't know what was happening. I wanted to do something to make it easier for him." She peered at Ben, trying to gauge his feelings. "I hope it's okay."

Ben reached over to link their fingers together. "Of course it's okay. I can't thank you enough for what you've done. And not just with River. You took care of Colt for me and you cleaned up after me." He glanced at her again. "Thank you."

"Anytime," she replied with a smile.

"We hardly got to spend time these past few days. I hope you don't feel neglected," he said.

"Dealing with the death of a family member is always hard. Your son needs you more than I do right now," she said. "I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Ben."

"I just couldn't get that image out of my head— of you standing in your kitchen with dinner prepared and served and the look on your face when I told you I had to go before I even tasted the food," he said quietly. "I'm really sorry."

"Hey, it's okay," she said softly. "Besides the food hadn't gone wasted; I ate the rest of it for lunch the next day."

"Thank you for everything," he said. "How can I make it up to you?"

She grinned at him. "I think I deserve something in return," she said and grabbed his thigh.

Ben threw his head back in a laugh. "I'm all yours tonight, baby. Do your worst."

***

The next day after work, Ben picked up River from school. When it was time for Elle to get off from work, they went to pick her up and together they went to Karen's house to get River's luggage. Karen opened the front door when they pulled up the driveway. Elle thought she looked pale and tired, although she was smiling when she saw her son running up to her.

"Hey, darling," she said and looked up at Ben and Elle. "I've packed his bags. They're in the den."

"Mom, did you pack my new helicopter and soldiers?" River asked.

Karen looked down at him, confused. "No... sorry, kiddo. Guess I forgot."

"Come on, buddy, let's go get your bags and you can pack the stuff you want," Ben said. Together, he and River went into the house, leaving Karen and Elle on the porch.

"I'm sorry about your father," Elle said.

"Thanks, me too," Karen replied with a weak smile. "I'm glad I didn't have to deal with it alone. And thank you for having River over; I know I'm in no condition to be a good parent right now."

"River is Ben's child, too," Elle said. "And I enjoy spending time with him as well."

Karen nodded just as Ben and River reappeared in the doorway. "All set," Ben announced, pulling a small suitcase behind him.

Karen bent so that she was eye-level with River. "Be a good boy at Daddy's. I'll see you next week, baby."

River put his arms around her shoulders and hugged her. "Bye, Mommy. See you." Turning around, he grabbed Elle's hand and started to tell her about a new cartoon show he had seen over the last weekend. Ben kissed Elle swiftly on the cheek, surprising her, and gave her a grin. They all piled into the car and gave Karen one last wave before heading for home.

Since Ben would be working at the nightclub that week, they arranged for Elle to stay too so that she could take care of River. On Sunday, around midnight, Elle's phone rang, startling her from her sleep. She grabbed it from the side table. Ben's name was displayed on the screen and her heart pounding within her ribs, fearing something was wrong.

"Ben?" she answered.

"Baby, I'll be home later than usual," Ben said. "Karen just called me and she's having a panic attack right now."

"Is she okay?" Elle asked. "Where's her sister?"

"Christine's flown back to New York last night so Karen's alone right now," he said. "That's why I'm heading over as soon as we closed up for the night. Are you guys okay?"

"We're fine, Ben," she replied. "Come home as soon as you can, okay?"

"Yeah, I will. I love you, baby. See you later."

When Elle woke up by the sound of the alarm the next morning, Ben's side of the bed was empty and apparently untouched. She checked her phone and found a text from him that he was staying the night at Karen's and asked Elle to drive his other car to send River to school. Elle got up to prepare wake River up before going to the kitchen to prepare them breakfast.

"Ellie, where's Daddy?" River asked, confused by his father's absence.

Elle knew he would ask so she came up with a half-truth. "He has something to do so he had to leave real early this morning." Luckily River accepted the answer. He nodded, though his brows were furrowed with distraught. "Hey, buddy, don't worry. Your dad's coming home soon."

"I'm not worried about him. He's a big guy, he can take care of himself," River replied. He seemed to be struggling to put his thoughts into words so Elle patted his shoulder encouragingly.

"Take it easy, buddy. We're not in a hurry."

River looked up at her. "Do you think Mommy's angry with me? Is that why she wants me to stay with Dad?"

"Oh, River," Elle said with a sigh and shook her head. "Your mother would never be angry with you."

"You think so?"

"I know so," she said confidently.

He nodded. "I wish she'd stopped crying."

"She's grieving, River. People deal with grief differently," Elle said, hoping that the explanation was enough; she had no idea how to comfort a six-year-old when it comes to dealing with the death of a close relative. "Maybe you can make a card for her to make her feel better," she suggested.

"But what should I write?" he asked.

"Anything you want," she said.

River took a bite of bacon and stared out the window, thinking. Elle decided to leave him to his thoughts. She finished her cup of coffee and took it to the dishwasher.

On the way to school, River suddenly said, "Can I make paper animals instead? For Mommy?"

"I think that is a lovely idea, River," Elle said with a smile. "Let me look for a jar and you can fill it in with the animals, like what you did for your grandfather."

"I hope she likes it," he said.

"I know she will love it," she said.

12